It seems some of the riders have been complaining about track conditions

h&m_cycle
Edited Date/Time 6/5/2015 8:12pm
According to MXA's John Basher... his words not mine

When did the AMA Nationals become full of sissies? I’m aware that I just made a blanket statement. Surely not every rider has gone soft. The opening three rounds of the Nationals have been absolutely superb, not necessarily in terms of intensely close racing (you can thank Eli Tomac and Jeremy Martin for that), but in the track conditions. Hangtown was the roughest it has been in years and the half-pipe was an innovative design. Glen Helen was equally as impressive. Thanks to showers in the days leading up to Glen Helen, not to mention a challenging layout, the conditions were epic. Rain hampered Lakewood in the days before the National, which created deep ruts. Certainly there have been tracks more difficult than these three (Glen Helen has been much rougher, much faster and much bigger in the past and Hangtown can get nasty with its square-edges and occasional mud bogs), but isn’t that how motocross is supposed to be? There are plenty of smooth two-wheeled sports—motocross isn’t suppose to be one of those. To hear riders complain about how rough the tracks are is preposterous. The new generation of young racers have been raised on so many groomed and graded tracks and would never have made it in the 1970s or 1980s—when the motocross world was a much tougher place. This is motocross!

My dear pal, Giuseppe Luongo, grand poobah at Youthstream, noted how the U.S. National tracks are manicured too much. He stated that part of the reason why the Europeans have begun keeping pace with Team USA at the Motocross des Nations in recent years is due to the fact that the AMA Nationals were simply too easy. As much as I hate to admit that Luongo is right, he raises a valid point (even though a large number of his tracks are dried-up pieces of junk). I commend MX Sports and each track’s crews for their newfound dedication in allowing the tracks to develop throughout the day. Isn’t that how motocross should be? It’s laughable that some of the fastest riders in the world would complain about difficult track conditions. It is from the difficulty that greatness rises to the top. It’s not like there’s a gator pit on the infield and a pack of lions roaming the course.
|
Uncle Tony
6/4/2015 8:54am
I don't think this is anything new, you're always gonna get whiners
h&m_cycle
6/4/2015 8:55am Edited Date/Time 6/4/2015 8:57am
Racing probably would be closer if the tracks were easy, don't know how much more safe though... Don't think we want
these guys going 90mph...

I like the tracks this year, but I'm watchin'... Basher said a lot of the tracks over there are dried up pieces of junk...
RY4N37
6/4/2015 8:57am
These first 3 nationals have been the best I've seen for a long while track wise. They were gnarly, proper motocross tracks. I hope that it continues for the rest of the series.

Is it any wonder though that some riders struggle when they practice on tracks like Pala? I'm sure it's great fun to ride but it's just nothing like what any of the Nationals have been like to this point. They'd be better off riding enduro than that
6/4/2015 9:05am
I would really like to see even 1 example of these "rough tracks" all the old guys are jerking off about. Theres no way in hell the tracks were ever as rough as they have been for the first few rounds. Bikes back in the 80's wouldnt have even made it around Colorado for 30+2.

Also, I dont seem to remember RC having any problem spanking the Euros when he raced his "perfectly groomed" tracks back in '04.

If yall cared even a little bit about rider safety and making good racing, you wouldnt want the tracks to be a nightmare, but because yall want to project your insecurities to the current racing generation and prove how "hardxxxcore" yall were back in the good ol days, tracks have become nearly unrideable. I personally dont like watching 40 riders tip-toe around a track while maybe 3 passes happen the entire race. Its just stupid.

I think this whole prepare for the MXdN hype is bullshit- RV didnt seem to have a problem waxing the field on a 250 back in '07 when the tracks got groomed between motos. We have got beat at the MXdN recently because the other guys were just faster, plain and simple. No amount of rough track riding is going to change that.

I get really sick of hearing old riders talk about how rough it was "back in the day" because it simply wasnt. I bet yall couldnt provide me with any proof that tracks were rougher.

The Shop

6/4/2015 9:12am
I would really like to see even 1 example of these "rough tracks" all the old guys are jerking off about. Theres no way in hell...
I would really like to see even 1 example of these "rough tracks" all the old guys are jerking off about. Theres no way in hell the tracks were ever as rough as they have been for the first few rounds. Bikes back in the 80's wouldnt have even made it around Colorado for 30+2.

Also, I dont seem to remember RC having any problem spanking the Euros when he raced his "perfectly groomed" tracks back in '04.

If yall cared even a little bit about rider safety and making good racing, you wouldnt want the tracks to be a nightmare, but because yall want to project your insecurities to the current racing generation and prove how "hardxxxcore" yall were back in the good ol days, tracks have become nearly unrideable. I personally dont like watching 40 riders tip-toe around a track while maybe 3 passes happen the entire race. Its just stupid.

I think this whole prepare for the MXdN hype is bullshit- RV didnt seem to have a problem waxing the field on a 250 back in '07 when the tracks got groomed between motos. We have got beat at the MXdN recently because the other guys were just faster, plain and simple. No amount of rough track riding is going to change that.

I get really sick of hearing old riders talk about how rough it was "back in the day" because it simply wasnt. I bet yall couldnt provide me with any proof that tracks were rougher.
...before we get into this...were you home skewled....Tongue
hillbilly
6/4/2015 9:15am
A manicured track becomes a holeshot track,everyone can pin it and grab gears.

At LLs back when they only did track maintenance at lunch,so if you were the motos right before and were in shape the last 2 laps youd motor by guys with their tounge in the front wheel.

1st moto after lunch was like riding in my garden with no way to make up time,the front 5 guys would all be wfo in the loam.

Ruff tracks are much safer unless you are wanting to demoralize your competition by winning by a minute.
gnarwhip
6/4/2015 9:16am
I think what some people are saying is if the officials want the tracks rough, that's fine. But it seems the riders don't know if the tracks will be smoothed out between motos, or not? It's like a guessing game. They should pick one and stick to it, because riders may have their bikes set up for a smoother conditions, then at the last minute officials decide to leave it rough, and the riders' setups are off and that's when crashes happen.
hillbilly
6/4/2015 9:16am
I would really like to see even 1 example of these "rough tracks" all the old guys are jerking off about. Theres no way in hell...

Go eat a bag of dicks you cocksucker.
pete24
6/4/2015 9:21am
i can see that Mr mustard breath has never been to Southwick in the 80s
Spartacus
6/4/2015 9:29am
pete24 wrote:
Yeah, 700+ racers the weekend before for 2 motos and then left that way for the pros the next weekend.

731chopper
Fantasy
355th
6/4/2015 9:30am

Well they certainly weren't smooth back then. There are plenty of races on youtube that you can watch if you're actually interested.

Here is Hannah and Omara battling at Unadilla
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNiRXfzlqjg

By the way, I'm not an old timer. Yet, at least.
Cygnus
6/4/2015 9:31am
pete24 wrote:
Or the old Lakewood track. What a POS that was. Kids nowadays have it made.
h&m_cycle
6/4/2015 9:49am
One thing I do know is that Jeremy Martin could of never charged all the way up through when his bike wouldn't start...
It would of been hard to do, when guys are all able to go within a couple of seconds of each other...

Dust was something you had to deal with in the old days, that & only a few inches of travel... wooden fences with
metal stakes...

USGP Lexington, Ohio was so dusty on the first lap Hannah & Akara Watanabe locked bars on the first lap, when the dust cleared, you could see Hannah picking his bike up, Watanabe laying there with a broken leg, his factory Suzuki on it's side with the throttle stuck open...

Bikes are so far advanced now, you got to slow them down some how... they don't want it trials or fast as flat track...

erikcrvjl
6/4/2015 9:50am

Way to make yourself look like a complete asshat on your very first post
h&m_cycle
6/4/2015 9:59am Edited Date/Time 6/4/2015 10:02am
This was a true test... 92 Dilla GP... For those bikes, if it was any more rough, parts would of been flying off... Highlights...

Ryan Dungey reminds me of Jeff Stanton's riding style... Smooth... He was all over the place here...

https://youtu.be/Eaa6oXL4zNQ
joeellis
6/4/2015 10:30am Edited Date/Time 6/4/2015 10:31am

Sounds like you weren't around in the old days to disprove anything yourself. While I'm a relative newcomer to mx at an old age, I can give you some examples of this fairly recent "whining" phenominon associated with another sport(s) I did grew up playing.

I began playing baseball at the age of 6 and played that and/or softball almost continuously into my early 30's. Watch a major league game these days. You have hitters setting up practically on top of the plate. These big burly overpaid players whine time and time again if a pitch is even slightly off the inside edge of the plate. If said pitch gets away and is up around the noodle, it is understandable if the hitter gets upset in any generation. However, a pitcher has a right to protect the inside part of the plate, but way too often when they do, these hitters jsut go off.

Take softball (slow pitch in my area) as another example. I wasn't a huge guy and consequently I wasn't a power hitter. I often targeted the middle as prime real estate to get hits. Many, many of my hits were bullets over the pitchers head. These days, there are practically fights in every tournament if kids try and hit the ball up the middle.

None of us old guys are trying to say anything about how tough we were. We're only stating how pampered much of the youth has been. If I got in trouble at school, my parents beat my butt when I got home. Neither ran to the school to chastise them for mistreating their son. Just saying. You need to check your facts before mouthing off.
h&m_cycle
6/4/2015 10:36am
joeellis wrote:
Sounds like you weren't around in the old days to disprove anything yourself. While I'm a relative newcomer to mx at an old age, I can...
Sounds like you weren't around in the old days to disprove anything yourself. While I'm a relative newcomer to mx at an old age, I can give you some examples of this fairly recent "whining" phenominon associated with another sport(s) I did grew up playing.

I began playing baseball at the age of 6 and played that and/or softball almost continuously into my early 30's. Watch a major league game these days. You have hitters setting up practically on top of the plate. These big burly overpaid players whine time and time again if a pitch is even slightly off the inside edge of the plate. If said pitch gets away and is up around the noodle, it is understandable if the hitter gets upset in any generation. However, a pitcher has a right to protect the inside part of the plate, but way too often when they do, these hitters jsut go off.

Take softball (slow pitch in my area) as another example. I wasn't a huge guy and consequently I wasn't a power hitter. I often targeted the middle as prime real estate to get hits. Many, many of my hits were bullets over the pitchers head. These days, there are practically fights in every tournament if kids try and hit the ball up the middle.

None of us old guys are trying to say anything about how tough we were. We're only stating how pampered much of the youth has been. If I got in trouble at school, my parents beat my butt when I got home. Neither ran to the school to chastise them for mistreating their son. Just saying. You need to check your facts before mouthing off.
I'm with you... The US. Army had to lower their fitness standards... On the plus side, (with all the video game skills) they are
very good @ learning shit like flying a drone around looking for targets...
6/4/2015 10:47am
731chopper wrote:
Well they certainly weren't smooth back then. There are plenty of races on youtube that you can watch if you're actually interested. Here is Hannah and...
Well they certainly weren't smooth back then. There are plenty of races on youtube that you can watch if you're actually interested.

...... I hope youre joking....
6/4/2015 10:49am
h&m_cycle wrote:
This was a true test... 92 Dilla GP... For those bikes, if it was any more rough, parts would of been flying off... Highlights... Ryan Dungey...
This was a true test... 92 Dilla GP... For those bikes, if it was any more rough, parts would of been flying off... Highlights...

Ryan Dungey reminds me of Jeff Stanton's riding style... Smooth... He was all over the place here...

wow the track had like 2 ruts!!

Insane!!
toroP
6/4/2015 10:57am

731chopper wrote:
Well they certainly weren't smooth back then. There are plenty of races on youtube that you can watch if you're actually interested. Here is Hannah and...

that video supports the Mucus Tiger.
machine
6/4/2015 11:21am
toroP wrote:
This one will teach that young whipper snapper a lesson..

Jon_Haynes
Fantasy
1185th
6/4/2015 11:59am
Mr Mustard, my bike in 1981 had 12 inch travel front and rear and we non pros raced 30 minutes plus one lap, but I'm sure that extra lap would of caused my bike to brake down. Hell back then real men raced for 45 plus two.
6/4/2015 12:11pm Edited Date/Time 6/4/2015 12:17pm
I think the rougher, the better. My girlfriend says the same thing about sex.
SouthwestMfg
6/4/2015 12:14pm
Funny - true that the bikes in the 80's wouldn't do 30+2. Most of the 80's were 40+2 national motor (GPs were still 45+2).
peelout
6/4/2015 12:16pm
some people will bitch about being lynched with a new rope

731chopper
Fantasy
355th
6/4/2015 1:53pm
wow the track had like 2 ruts!!

Insane!!
You seem to be confused on the difference between rough and rutted.
6/4/2015 2:07pm
h&m_cycle wrote:
This was a true test... 92 Dilla GP... For those bikes, if it was any more rough, parts would of been flying off... Highlights... Ryan Dungey...

GOD DAMMIT WHY WON'T THEY LET THE GRASS GROW IN AND LET THE BIKES TILL IT UP AGAIN!!!!

Just once...

JUST ONCE
machine
6/4/2015 2:35pm
Well the biggest bitcher of all regarding last weeks track is every ones new wonder boy, Mr Peick
jamma10
6/4/2015 2:53pm
Baggett loved Thunder Valley.

the_wood109
6/4/2015 2:54pm
GOD DAMMIT WHY WON'T THEY LET THE GRASS GROW IN AND LET THE BIKES TILL IT UP AGAIN!!!!

Just once...

JUST ONCE
One of the last times I was there, they had certain parts of the "pro track" that still started as grass sections. It really wasn't all it's cracked up to be. It's great for practice pictures, but it ends up just being a hardpacked section with few lines, and fewer bumps.

Post a reply to: It seems some of the riders have been complaining about track conditions

The Latest