It gets hard finding the energy to ride on the weekends.

Seamorbutts
4/18/2015 1:34am Edited Date/Time 4/18/2015 1:37am
I have a buddy that rides every weekend and he owns his own construction company. He works his ass off building houses then goes racing on the weekends. Did I mention he's 49? Smokes pot everyday too. That dude can pace himself and do 30 freakin laps none stop. It's because he works in the heat here in Louisiana all day everyday. He's one tough mother fucker. Man up Jeff....
mark_swart
4/18/2015 1:52am
Jeff I think it's completely understandable, the body needs rest plain and simple. I sort of notice as I get older my motivation comes in waves and then dips for a while. You might be run down now but give it some time.
BTW I'm moving close to Olympia later this year, hope to actually meet some of you guys! I run +30 and +40 B.
Huckster
4/18/2015 3:38am
It has become harder and harder to find time and motivation to ride. Last year alone I had packed up for race day a handful of Saturday nights only to wake up Sunday morning and not go. My job is more stressful mentally than physically but throw in my sons baseball and daughters softball/dance team and there is always something going on. Riding my bike used to be my stress relief but now I am at the point of considering selling everything and just being done!
nytsmaC
4/18/2015 4:15am
Huckster wrote:
It has become harder and harder to find time and motivation to ride. Last year alone I had packed up for race day a handful of...
It has become harder and harder to find time and motivation to ride. Last year alone I had packed up for race day a handful of Saturday nights only to wake up Sunday morning and not go. My job is more stressful mentally than physically but throw in my sons baseball and daughters softball/dance team and there is always something going on. Riding my bike used to be my stress relief but now I am at the point of considering selling everything and just being done!
Do it. Not an easy decision but sounds like it's the right one. I did it almost 10 years ago, took a few years off and I don't regret it, I was burnt out on riding. Once you get the bug back get another bike and enjoy yourself again.

The Shop

4/18/2015 5:51am
I work every other weekend. There's weekends where my brains so sapped I can't get the motivation to go. So if that's the case I'm boned for two weekends.

And then there's weekends like this where i want nothing more to go. Weathers beautiful and I'm sick as I've ever been in a the past two years.
4/18/2015 5:55am
I don't have a problem with riding: it's the getting and mixing up some race gas, cleaning filters, changing jets and plugs, changing oil, getting gear and googles ready, getting a cooler loaded, putting the carrier on, loading bike and driving for a few hours part that sucks.

There are definitely weekends where I'd just like to curl up with a bottle of Jack Daniels in the fetal position in my closet so my family can't find me. Work (and family) can be physically and emotionally draining.
Trav138
4/18/2015 6:06am
Jeffro maybe switch to 4 tens or work a twelve so you can either have Friday off or work 1/2 day on friday. Then use friday to rest and chill. So then you have the whole weekend to ride and get shit done around the house.
i know a lot of guys are switching to a 4 day work week.
nytsmaC
4/18/2015 6:08am
I don't have a problem with riding: it's the getting and mixing up some race gas, cleaning filters, changing jets and plugs, changing oil, getting gear...
I don't have a problem with riding: it's the getting and mixing up some race gas, cleaning filters, changing jets and plugs, changing oil, getting gear and googles ready, getting a cooler loaded, putting the carrier on, loading bike and driving for a few hours part that sucks.

There are definitely weekends where I'd just like to curl up with a bottle of Jack Daniels in the fetal position in my closet so my family can't find me. Work (and family) can be physically and emotionally draining.
Buy the $10 Maxima pre-oiled filters, or better yet DT1 when they're on sale, and never clean a filter again. Get home, unload, wash bike, pop in a new filter, throw your gear in the wash and you're ready to go. Everything else you can do at the track in between motos.
Rick M.
4/18/2015 6:31am
I'll be at shoug today too, Jeffro. I'll keep an out for a Kawi 503.
CR250Rider
4/18/2015 7:08am
Not to brag but I rode sunday, tuesday, yesterday, and I'm riding today. I retired at 51 and moved 5 minutes from moses lake sand dunes so I could.
I love riding as much as anything I can think of.

Just do it
JW381
4/18/2015 7:40am
Jeffro, what's your plan for Sunday? Planning on hitting the slopes for the first time since that last endo. Lemme know!
4/18/2015 7:58am
Its tough, as u get older its defgoly harder n harder, I do road construction and mainly work nights, I HATE nights lol, makes me miserable, the only thing that keeps me riding, besides being a die hard moto guy, I ride right out of My driveway. Rarely will I ever goto a practice track, especially in the summer!!
TbonesPop
Fantasy
405th
4/18/2015 8:19am
I used to feel the same way every so often. But I found a solution. On the way home from work on Friday I stop by the local Walgreens and buy an extra large tube of VAGISIL and go home and apply it on my pussy. Then I'm suddenly fine and don't feelsore and tired anymore.Woohoo

In all seriousness, sometimes you just need a break to recharge the batteries. It happens to everyone (and to some if it hasn't it will).
ChrisB10
4/18/2015 9:04am
Yeah I worked a warehouse job like that. It was an injection molding comany that made plastic parts for various products. You had to run from machine to machine to keep them running/pack the parts/load the skids. Literally run...

Another job I had like that was landscaping in Louisiana, im from NY but moved down there and did that all day long in 100 degree heat. There was some nights I was so spent I went to bed at 7pm so dont feel bad lol!
pummel
Fantasy
432nd
4/18/2015 9:05am
At least you can ride Jeff- I'm working here in California and having my bike with me is impossible. Although I am going to the San Fransisco Supercross today.
Detroit Dick
4/18/2015 9:29am Edited Date/Time 4/18/2015 10:51am
Yo Fro, how "clean" do you eat? 2 years ago I cut out all bread/pasta/sugar M-F cept Pizza Night. Within 2wks my energy levels shot up and a decades-old knee injury stopped bothering me completely. I have the energy of a 30 yr-old ok 35... (at 54) and recover much faster . I also dropped 30 pounds in 6 months. It's a modified "paleo" diet and it works! On the weekend I eat whatever I please, but now have less urges to eat crap. Check out "The Paleo Diet For Athletes" by Louis Cordain" Seriously, it's been a game-changer for both me and my brother. Pretty simple too lots of meat/fish/vegetables/fruit/nuts. No grains (in my case no more than twice a week) very little sugar. Boils down to eating as clean and close to the "source" as possible. The hard part is breaking 30 year-old habits of too many complex carbs/sugars.Lots of info on the net if you"re interested. For me the benefits are substantial an evident pretty quickly. Also when I lapse and have too many grains my knee and ankles let me know it amazingly fast. I'm not kidding when I say that my right knee ankles and lower back hurt every morning for 10 years and about 14-15 days with no grains or sugar I stood up one morning and had nearly zero pain. It was startling the difference in my energy level and I recover quite a bit faster from riding/work/chasing my kids! Not saying I don't still hurt some days but those days are now the exception rather than the rule. Best thing I've done for myself in years. Highly recommended. Try it for 3 weeks and you'll be sold.

mxfiend
4/18/2015 1:15pm
mxfiend wrote:
Hey be happy u can afford to ride. I work at a dealer and cant even afford to put my 03 cr250 back together. I have...
Hey be happy u can afford to ride. I work at a dealer and cant even afford to put my 03 cr250 back together. I have a family to support and guess what thieves just broke in my garage and stole a box of tools, axles linkage motor mounts and cyl head. Gonna cost me 500 plus the cyl i still need to send to millenium for another 250. They stole all that shit but left my box of $1000 new parts there atleast lol. Fudged me out off 500 plus tools so they could get $20 in scrap metal. And my gf bought me new fox instincts at xmas that ive used one time riding a buddys bike at the track.

Life kinda sux sometimes but the family makes it all worth it
jeffro503 wrote:
Damn man , that is rough! Nothing like thieves stealing from good , hard working people to satisfy their own problems! I feel bad for you...
Damn man , that is rough! Nothing like thieves stealing from good , hard working people to satisfy their own problems! I feel bad for you man and hope you get some really good karma coming your way!
Haha thanks i try doing the right thing all the time but i swear a little grey cloud follows me around. Sux but like i said as long as i can support the fam thats all that matters. Riding has definitely taken the back seat
Old-Man
4/18/2015 1:31pm
jeffro503 wrote:
So I got to ride a couple times in February and before that was twice in Sept of last year. 3 - 4 rides in 6...
So I got to ride a couple times in February and before that was twice in Sept of last year. 3 - 4 rides in 6 months just aint cuttin' it , I really need to get out and ride more.

Just got done putting a fresh filter and oil in my bike and she's already for tomorrow , while me and some buddies are hitting the practice day at Washougal.

My job kicks my ass all week long , so finding the energy to go out on the weekend and put in laps seems to get harder and harder the older I get. Any of you guys have a job like that? One that wears you out so much that it's hard to muster up enough energy to go out and moto on your day off?

I've been telling myself for years that when the good weather comes , I'm going riding! But in my line of work ( remodel contractor ) with the good weather , the work picks up.

Screw it though! I'm riding until I can't hold myself up any longer tomorrow. If I'm not sore on Sunday and Monday ( actually probably the entire week ) I'll be bummed with myself.
Mix some Kratom in your water..I use Maeng Da Kratom and in moments I have energy and it lasts 4-6 hrs.
Read up on it, it's a natural plant grown in Asia and other hot wet climates.
1oz last me about a month.
4/18/2015 1:32pm Edited Date/Time 4/18/2015 1:34pm
Yo Fro, how "clean" do you eat? 2 years ago I cut out all bread/pasta/sugar M-F cept Pizza Night. Within 2wks my energy levels shot up...
Yo Fro, how "clean" do you eat? 2 years ago I cut out all bread/pasta/sugar M-F cept Pizza Night. Within 2wks my energy levels shot up and a decades-old knee injury stopped bothering me completely. I have the energy of a 30 yr-old ok 35... (at 54) and recover much faster . I also dropped 30 pounds in 6 months. It's a modified "paleo" diet and it works! On the weekend I eat whatever I please, but now have less urges to eat crap. Check out "The Paleo Diet For Athletes" by Louis Cordain" Seriously, it's been a game-changer for both me and my brother. Pretty simple too lots of meat/fish/vegetables/fruit/nuts. No grains (in my case no more than twice a week) very little sugar. Boils down to eating as clean and close to the "source" as possible. The hard part is breaking 30 year-old habits of too many complex carbs/sugars.Lots of info on the net if you"re interested. For me the benefits are substantial an evident pretty quickly. Also when I lapse and have too many grains my knee and ankles let me know it amazingly fast. I'm not kidding when I say that my right knee ankles and lower back hurt every morning for 10 years and about 14-15 days with no grains or sugar I stood up one morning and had nearly zero pain. It was startling the difference in my energy level and I recover quite a bit faster from riding/work/chasing my kids! Not saying I don't still hurt some days but those days are now the exception rather than the rule. Best thing I've done for myself in years. Highly recommended. Try it for 3 weeks and you'll be sold.

+1

I had that diet going for 3 months and lost 15kg's without doing any more exercise then useuall. Main rule i kept was only eat fresh foods (meat, fruit, veggies, nuts and a loads of water). Nothing with processed crap in it. And eat 7-8 times a day instead of 3 big meals. All my small pains and stuff where gone to.
Sargent Rock
4/18/2015 1:34pm
jeffro503 wrote:
So I got to ride a couple times in February and before that was twice in Sept of last year. 3 - 4 rides in 6...
So I got to ride a couple times in February and before that was twice in Sept of last year. 3 - 4 rides in 6 months just aint cuttin' it , I really need to get out and ride more.

Just got done putting a fresh filter and oil in my bike and she's already for tomorrow , while me and some buddies are hitting the practice day at Washougal.

My job kicks my ass all week long , so finding the energy to go out on the weekend and put in laps seems to get harder and harder the older I get. Any of you guys have a job like that? One that wears you out so much that it's hard to muster up enough energy to go out and moto on your day off?

I've been telling myself for years that when the good weather comes , I'm going riding! But in my line of work ( remodel contractor ) with the good weather , the work picks up.

Screw it though! I'm riding until I can't hold myself up any longer tomorrow. If I'm not sore on Sunday and Monday ( actually probably the entire week ) I'll be bummed with myself.
Adderal works for sure. Wink
Sargent Rock
4/18/2015 1:35pm
Yo Fro, how "clean" do you eat? 2 years ago I cut out all bread/pasta/sugar M-F cept Pizza Night. Within 2wks my energy levels shot up...

Thanks, I am going to check this out.
ob
4/18/2015 4:30pm Edited Date/Time 4/18/2015 4:30pm
Jeffro, are you, Parks and Hopps going to cruise around roosting each other on your wing dingers? Have fun dude!
rolandk
4/18/2015 4:40pm
My job is all brain work and if I'm not up for mx I'll get a good nights sleep then go on a 3-4 hour bicycle ride.
Huckster
4/18/2015 5:02pm
I don't have a problem with riding: it's the getting and mixing up some race gas, cleaning filters, changing jets and plugs, changing oil, getting gear...

I hear ya!! Then coming home and not being able to sleep until the bike is cleaned! The riding is fun but it's all the other stuff that makes you question whether it's worth it.
Getndome
4/18/2015 6:09pm
jeffro503 wrote:

Dude I'm totally with you I'm a sub contractor I install replacement windows used to ride 3 times a week recently I haven't ridden 3 times a month.
level
4/18/2015 7:26pm
I don't have the energy to ride anymore either. I'm 41 rode all the time in my early 30s and just don't anymore but my lifestyle and being out of shape and just feeling blah has a lot to do with it.
seth505
Fantasy
1092nd
4/18/2015 7:41pm
nytsmaC wrote:
Jeff is it physical or mental? I usually work 70hrs a week and I get a bit mentally exhausted by the weekend. A couple days a...
Jeff is it physical or mental?

I usually work 70hrs a week and I get a bit mentally exhausted by the weekend. A couple days a month I feel like I need a day to just hole up at the house and do nothing.?my job is a lot less physical than yours so the only physical problem is trying to stay in shape.

I hate to sound like a broken record, but have you thought about riding a 125? They're far less physically demanding to ride, even loading up and putting it on the stand feels like cheating. Then there's the fun factor, which is off the charts. You might find that you feel a lot less beat up on Monday and a lot more excited for the next ride day, it definitely does that for me.

If it were me I'd get rid of the 450, get a 125 or 144 and keep the 250 for race days. But that's just me and that may not be your solution.
#991 wrote:
The 125 Is good for some of the reasons you pointed out but easier to ride Isn't one of them, unfortunately. When you ride a 125...
The 125 Is good for some of the reasons you pointed out but easier to ride Isn't one of them, unfortunately. When you ride a 125 you have to ride with a lot more Intensity and stay on it or you're going nowhere Tongue .

I don't work at all and I find it hard to get motivated these days Jeffro. Maybe try some off road riding for a change of pace Wink .
The RM250 is an awesome off road weapon.
nytsmaC wrote:
I find it more challenging and demanding to keep the little bike going fast but it's a lot less taxing on the body. I can burn...
I find it more challenging and demanding to keep the little bike going fast but it's a lot less taxing on the body. I can burn a tank of gas at the track and feel a lit fresher afterwards than I do on the 250. Different riding styles might have an effect on that. I'm by no means a fast guy but I tend to try to ride the 250 like a 125, just less shifting and clutch work to be done
Agreed with nytsmac, you have to be aggressive/shift constantly but i can do it 25-35 minutes where I cant on my 250.
Detroit Dick
4/18/2015 8:30pm
Thanks, I am going to check this out.
Sarge-check out "It Starts with Food" (Hartwig 2012) Victory Belt Press. Great practical primer that includes easy meal plans and advice. They break it down so even a Motocrosser can understand it.... the enemy is "Chronic Systemic Inflammation" brought on by eating a standard american diet. Your immune system is constantly working overtime and cannot do the natural repairs/regeneration it should be doing. Great website is "Mark's Daily Apple"...lots of great info there. The regulars are are little nutty but hey your on Vital so you'll be right at home..... I don't get all nazi about it but there's a whole lot to learn there. Good Luck!
The Rock
4/18/2015 9:17pm
To combat that type of hard work my suggestions are good diet, lots of rest, plenty of water and DEFINITELY some type of recovery product should be consumed M-F. Any chance you can get in the water and/or a hot tub once a week Jeff? Friday night would be optimum.

Good luck and be safe.

Dissident
4/22/2015 5:31pm
im having the same problem except im in my mid 20s and have a corporate job.

i have no energy and it doesnt help living somewhere where i know no one and dont have any riding buddies

help!

Post a reply to: It gets hard finding the energy to ride on the weekends.

The Latest