Isn't racing supposed to be fun??

Edited Date/Time 3/9/2016 7:45am
Anyone who has ever raced knows what I'm talking about! At the point where it becomes "no fun" we usually stop doing it. Just ask Ricky, kevin, Travis, Jeremy, and rv (to name a few) it is very clear that James is no longer having fun. Think of the emotional stress he has put on his family over the years (mom, dad, wife, brother) this is not fun for them either. There would be NO SHAME if js called it quits, I think all real motocross fans would agree. It is just as fun to push hard at the practice track with my buddy's every weekend. But as a true fan of all racers (James we support you 100% whatever you do).
|
NotCore
3/8/2016 8:35am
The answer is obviously yes, but fun and responsibility are often at odds, and the pressure of six zeros at the end of a paycheck can suck the fun out of a lot of things, not just motocross.
TDeath21
3/8/2016 8:37am
I think it's fun for us, but when you dedicate your entire life to it like those guys do, it's not fun anymore. It's only fun when you're winning or close to it.
Brad460
Fantasy
736th
3/8/2016 8:48am
I cant imagine waking up every morning with the thought of having to ride motocross..much rather drag my butt into the office...Huh
Torco1
3/8/2016 9:08am
There have been many times over the years when riding stopped being fun for me......yet I still made myself go to the track for a couple hours at least twice a week. I looked at it like having to go to the gym to workout when I really didn't want to. It was just burnout and it didn't last forever......it would start to be fun again and that's when I was really glad that I made myself continue to go during those times when I wasn't having fun.

These guys do it for a living.....it's the career path they chose so if they stop having fun doing it, they better A) have enough money saved to retire or Cool have another job lined up so they can quit. If neither of these things are an option they are going to have to be like the majority of the working world and continue to work their job that they don't like until another option presents itself.

The Shop

ML512
Fantasy
54th
3/8/2016 9:33am
Brad460 wrote:
I cant imagine waking up every morning with the thought of having to ride motocross..much rather drag my butt into the office...Huh
It's much, much more than just riding though. Actually, it's basically not just riding at any point... you're always under the gun and it's never really just spinning laps for fun at any point.
Zaugg
3/8/2016 9:37am
Fun if you're the average Joe. At the top level of our sport, remember this is their JOB. And like any job, it requires hard work to be the best at your job. The guys at the top look at it like a job, not as recreation.

Spartacus
3/8/2016 9:38am
Anytime you do for a job what you love, it becomes work.

Anytime you do for work what other people do for fun, they'll have a hard time believing it's work for you.

The grass is always greener.

As someone that has spent most of my adult years working at jobs that I once did for fun and most others still do, I can tell you the above three statements are true.

jeffro503
3/8/2016 9:48am
Lets be honest here though. Without the injuries....most of us would of loved to of had a good professional racing career. Hell , some guys on here did exactly that , and I bet they don't regret one second of it.
JSmith
3/8/2016 10:00am
Brad460 wrote:
This

And knowing we will have to do it until we are in our 60's.
APLMAN99
3/8/2016 10:05am
I think you can either race for fun, or you can race for money, but only a handful (or less!) can do both at the same time for more than a few years......
3/8/2016 10:12am
There's also the addiction factor to the adrenaline rush you get from racing, as well as the amazing high of being on top....

I could see James going through similar mental struggles of what Dave Mirra went through. Once you're on top for all those years it must be difficult to be demoted to human, from the superhuman you always were (it's called aging right?). I think Reed is probably going through this as well. They both want to be on top again. They both believe they can do it because they spent so much time on the top step...

With Chad on the right bike and a healthy JS7, I believe it's possible. Definitely a long shot, but possible.

Good luck to JS7.
newmann
3/8/2016 10:14am
In MX and SX there are hundreds of dollars at stake, so no.
Brad460
Fantasy
736th
3/8/2016 10:34am
Brad460 wrote:
ML512 wrote:
It's much, much more than just riding though. Actually, it's basically not just riding at any point... you're always under the gun and it's never really...
It's much, much more than just riding though. Actually, it's basically not just riding at any point... you're always under the gun and it's never really just spinning laps for fun at any point.
So exactly the same as my office job..but not on a motocross bike...Tongue
kkawboy14
3/8/2016 10:41am
Some people love their job!
Some people like their job!
Some people go to their job because they need the money and don't know anything else to do!
And
Some people hate their job but still show up!
FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4254th
3/8/2016 10:51am
For guys at the top, that good who cleaned up coming up the ranks and are fiercely competitive, winning is fun.

The irony of racing is that the faster a rider gets the more likely he is to lose

And that while devoting more time to the hard work of preparation. Throw in an injury and it's easy to see how a guy like Deano or AC may not be having a lot of fun, and why other guys may live with a underlying level of stress about the same thing happening that would prevent them from achieving their potential

For the rest of us, not having fun is probably a factor of taking oneself too seriously as a racer.
The Rock
3/8/2016 10:56am
newmann wrote:
In MX and SX there are hundreds of dollars at stake, so no.
Good one Joe!
swtwtwtw
3/8/2016 11:08am
If one can do what they like/love for a living, one won't work a day in their life.
I find it hard to believe that there are pro racers out there that really do not like riding, in general; but there are.
I think self-imposed breaks from riding/racing are a good thing, but American MX Series make that nearly impossible.

I do think that Stewart, in this case, will still be winning races in the near future and I do not think he will have to be 100% fit to do it either. The caveat is that he will need to just get out there for kicks and giggles.
Jeff alessi
3/8/2016 11:19am
I can tell u racing was not fun when I had people expecting me to be somewhere in the feild I couldn't be. whether it was because i wasnt there or i wasnt happy with my set up i knew where peiold expected me to be abd when i wasnt there it was stressful. These days I forgot about those people's expectations and learned that my love was that feeling of racing with the guys I have fun competing with. If that rider is pushing it hard behind me in every corner I will give them room so I'm not causing them to have close calls that could take me with them but I won't give them my position because we're competing and having fun racing out dirtbikes. Sometimes I want to tell James to go out there and compete without exoectatons because I feel like his head is overloaded with where he expects to be instead of enjoying racing with the people he grew up around him competing with. This is fun for me, whether I'm in 15th or I'm in the last spot for a transfer spot I just wanna do my best. Thid is where every rider needs to be. Doing there best and forgetting that weight that's not helping.
3/8/2016 11:40am Edited Date/Time 3/8/2016 11:41am
I can tell u racing was not fun when I had people expecting me to be somewhere in the feild I couldn't be. whether it was...
I can tell u racing was not fun when I had people expecting me to be somewhere in the feild I couldn't be. whether it was because i wasnt there or i wasnt happy with my set up i knew where peiold expected me to be abd when i wasnt there it was stressful. These days I forgot about those people's expectations and learned that my love was that feeling of racing with the guys I have fun competing with. If that rider is pushing it hard behind me in every corner I will give them room so I'm not causing them to have close calls that could take me with them but I won't give them my position because we're competing and having fun racing out dirtbikes. Sometimes I want to tell James to go out there and compete without exoectatons because I feel like his head is overloaded with where he expects to be instead of enjoying racing with the people he grew up around him competing with. This is fun for me, whether I'm in 15th or I'm in the last spot for a transfer spot I just wanna do my best. Thid is where every rider needs to be. Doing there best and forgetting that weight that's not helping.
Exzactly what I'm talking about! From one racer to another(respect). My hat comes for you guys for your talent, and hard work. It is just as enjoying to watch any of you guys out there having fun, rather than pummeling yourselves week in and week out. I support your racing decisions ( don't always agree) keep doing what you love Jeff
mauidex
3/8/2016 12:49pm
as soon as you are racing for someone or something else other than your own personal satisfaction and reasons the FUN factor is greatly diminished
HenryA
3/8/2016 2:16pm
I could take a job that isn't "fun" if I got paid millions every year.
jib-tmb
3/8/2016 2:35pm
Spartacus wrote:
Anytime you do for a job what you love, it becomes work. Anytime you do for work what other people do for fun, they'll have a...
Anytime you do for a job what you love, it becomes work.

Anytime you do for work what other people do for fun, they'll have a hard time believing it's work for you.

The grass is always greener.

As someone that has spent most of my adult years working at jobs that I once did for fun and most others still do, I can tell you the above three statements are true.

This^^^

I've also had the opportunity to be paid to do jobs I used to do just for fun. It's ok for a while but as soon as you're expected to be there every day instead of just when you want to, it becomes a job and you don't look at it the same.

bob567
3/8/2016 4:08pm Edited Date/Time 3/8/2016 4:09pm
Last time I checked doing anything for income was not supposed to fun that is why its called work or a job. Most people keep going to work because they need the weekly paycheck to survive. That is probably not the case with guys like JS. Guys like Dungey keep doing it because they are able to compete for the wins. JS can't do that.
MudPup545
3/8/2016 4:22pm
Brad460 wrote:
JSmith wrote:
This

And knowing we will have to do it until we are in our 60's.
I took a look at my SS statement the other day. I started working at 14 and already have 32 years in the system. And I'm expected to work till' I'm 67? Ugh.....
3/8/2016 4:43pm
RV didn't have fun for a few years but still put in the work and got results.

I think James is just having physical problems and a tough time shaking the rust off. JT brought up a good point on Pulp, though, that he came in out of shape and it's not clear why.
vetmxr
3/8/2016 5:58pm Edited Date/Time 3/8/2016 6:15pm
I stopped having fun racing when I moved up from intermediate to the expert class, In that class shit got too serious for me to have fun at the races, mostly because of internal pressure I placed on myself....... I expected myself to win all the time, and that didn't happen as often as I'd like. I also didn't like knowing that I had to huck the crazy shit out on the track whether I felt like it or not, not to mention doing it in first lap traffic at full tilt. I'm pretty sure I hadn't smiled under my helmet for years during a race until I became a vet racer and speed was not as high of a priority.....

Its not that I cared a lot about winning, but losing was absolutely unacceptable to me if that makes any sense at all. Still kinda that way I suppose.
cwtoyota
3/8/2016 6:14pm
I've never even been close to racing pro. However from my perspective I look at professional racing the way I looked at my time in the military / infantry:

Fitness is fun.
Hiking is fun.
Ghillie and camo-paint is fun.
Weapons and explosives are so much fun!

All that said, when it's a daily grind and you have to be out there living it 24/7 it can get really, seriously old sometimes. Most days it is good, but there are days when you aren't feeling it but you just HAVE to be there and put in the effort anyway. You can't take a break and you can't let your team down.

I think it's probably the same for a pro racer or most other jobs. Good days, bad days, 'meh' days...
olddude
3/8/2016 6:33pm
cwtoyota wrote:
I've never even been close to racing pro. However from my perspective I look at professional racing the way I looked at my time in the...
I've never even been close to racing pro. However from my perspective I look at professional racing the way I looked at my time in the military / infantry:

Fitness is fun.
Hiking is fun.
Ghillie and camo-paint is fun.
Weapons and explosives are so much fun!

All that said, when it's a daily grind and you have to be out there living it 24/7 it can get really, seriously old sometimes. Most days it is good, but there are days when you aren't feeling it but you just HAVE to be there and put in the effort anyway. You can't take a break and you can't let your team down.

I think it's probably the same for a pro racer or most other jobs. Good days, bad days, 'meh' days...
Good analogy.

Post a reply to: Isn't racing supposed to be fun??

The Latest