Is this worth it?

WORCSRacer
Edited Date/Time 3/4/2013 6:48pm
This has been a hard year.

Today marks the third death from this "sport" in seven months to touch me personally. I just want to scream FUCK! (actually I have multiple times) While due to my profession I'm certainly aware of the risks in this sport I also know what happens when people live in a bubble wrap world. They suffer the same result , WE ALL DIE. Sitting on a couch playing video games is just as certain to find you a final resting place as is racing or riding. No one gets out of this alive. For me its always been a matter of you can't let the fear of dying get in the way of the thrill of living. Life is short get busy.

When Nathan died, it was a crushing blow. A great friend, fierce competitor and one of the very best. He died doing a NOTHING jump. It could have happened to anyone of us. It was bad fucking luck and even if he'd been in the ER when it happened he wasn't going to make it. When Ox died it was another mistake and unfortunately for him he wasn't near enough to the latest medical intervention that may have saved his life. While both these deaths were hard to understand, I can accept both of these as tragedies and based on the fact they were professionals. They were doing what they do and sometimes very very bad stuff happens. It comes with the job.

Nick's death however is shaking my resolve. The kid was 11 and right now I am having a really tough time figuring out what it is that makes this even remotely acceptable. Maybe the simple answer is again bad stuff happens and we all need to make sure that the life you're living is the one you want.
|
LoudLove
7/20/2011 10:34am
Risk/reward is an individual assessment. Accidents happen, and the results are sometimes fatal. However, the decision to ride is ultimately in the hands of the individual and his family.

It used to bother me that my sons weren't interested in riding or racing. Event's like this make me silently thankful for their choices.
500guy
7/20/2011 10:38am Edited Date/Time 7/20/2011 10:39am
Josh Lichtle makes 4

There is no easy answer, everyone has to weigh their own options and desires along with their situation and make a decision.

Personally I was terrified every time my kid threw a leg over a bike so I kind of pushed him in other directions and he wasn't that into moto anyways so it was an easy decision.

at my age I contemplate selling my bike weekly just for the simple fact I need to try and stay healthy for my business and family , riding certainly increases the risk.

My only advice would be to not make any quick decisions in either direction based on something that happened to someone else give it some time and follow your own path.
bullpen58
7/20/2011 10:41am
Simple answer: YES.

Sad when people get injured or killed, but IMHO it IS worth it. As Anthony Hopkins said in some movie: "I live more in five seconds than most people do in their entire lifetime"....or something like that.
huck
7/20/2011 10:42am
No, it's not worth dying for.

Either is driving to the grocery store..... but it happens!

The Shop

WORCSRacer
7/20/2011 10:42am
500guy wrote:
Josh Lichtle makes 4 There is no easy answer, everyone has to weigh their own options and desires along with their situation and make a decision...
Josh Lichtle makes 4

There is no easy answer, everyone has to weigh their own options and desires along with their situation and make a decision.

Personally I was terrified every time my kid threw a leg over a bike so I kind of pushed him in other directions and he wasn't that into moto anyways so it was an easy decision.

at my age I contemplate selling my bike weekly just for the simple fact I need to try and stay healthy for my business and family , riding certainly increases the risk.

My only advice would be to not make any quick decisions in either direction based on something that happened to someone else give it some time and follow your own path.
I am not quitting.
TeamGreen
7/20/2011 10:43am Edited Date/Time 7/20/2011 10:57am
WORCSRacer wrote:
This has been a hard year. Today marks the third death from this "sport" in seven months to touch me personally. I just want to scream...

Today marks the third death from this "sport" in seven months to touch me personally. I just want to scream FUCK! (actually I have multiple times) While due to my profession I'm certainly aware of the risks in this sport I also know what happens when people live in a bubble wrap world. They suffer the same result , WE ALL DIE. Sitting on a couch playing video games is just as certain to find you a final resting place as is racing or riding. No one gets out of this alive. For me its always been a matter of you can't let the fear of dying get in the way of the thrill of living. Life is short get busy.

When Nathan died, it was a crushing blow. A great friend, fierce competitor and one of the very best. He died doing a NOTHING jump. It could have happened to anyone of us. It was bad fucking luck and even if he'd been in the ER when it happened he wasn't going to make it. When Ox died it was another mistake and unfortunately for him he wasn't near enough to the latest medical intervention that may have saved his life. While both these deaths were hard to understand, I can accept both of these as tragedies and based on the fact they were professionals. They were doing what they do and sometimes very very bad stuff happens. It comes with the job.

Nick's death however is shaking my resolve. The kid was 11 and right now I am having a really tough time figuring out what it is that makes this even remotely acceptable. Maybe the simple answer is again bad stuff happens and we all need to make sure that the life you're living is the one you want.
Nick's Death, for whatever reason, made me cry. Part of it was the wonderful way in-which Jeff (Alessi) posted it...the "friends getting thru it" part...was pretty amazing.

I was there when Jeff(OX) fell and I got to be with him...that day has had the kind of impact that you are speaking to..."Shaking my resolve"...loading someone into a helicopter and saying, "Good-Bye..."...well...it still brings tears. I can't even imagine what Cameron's been thru; but, we all keep moving forward.

The "bortherhood" that my riding family has is simply beyond belief. Seriously.

That is "how" I keep doing it.
Sondy132001
7/20/2011 10:46am
I am deeply saddened by Nick's passing, all of the people you mentioned above I have known, really breaks my heart. But I just can't see living life in fear, both my kids are over 18 and every Friday night or Saturday night I worry about drunk drivers, there are just so many risks every day. They drive to college in the mornings ? will someone mow them down ? 4 weeks ago my daughter was driving home from her girlfriends to work, 1:30 in the after noon, lady pulled out in front of her to dart into a gas station, my daughter didn't even have a chance to slam on her brakes, she was doing 40mph, totaled her car, she was crying so hard when she called me I started to cry, she could barely tell me what happened, she was lucky only got a burn from the airbags...it's a risk every morning when you wake up and live life, but I want to live, granite I don't race, but there are plenty of other things I do out there that put me at risk, I'm thankful every morning I wake up.

S
Sherwood
7/20/2011 10:47am Edited Date/Time 7/20/2011 10:59am
WORCSRacer wrote:
This has been a hard year. Today marks the third death from this "sport" in seven months to touch me personally. I just want to scream...

I had 2 friends who rode with me very often get shot and killed working in a motorcycle shop by a man with schizophrenia who stopped taking his medication. One was 16 and the other 23. It still haunts me.

Theres a million ways we can die everyday, and although it doesn't make it any easier to accept when a young person dies I find it hard to not honor them by continuing to do what gave them the most joy when they where on earth.
Hanaa80
7/20/2011 10:51am
When I was racing actively I tried to calm my mom down by saying "no one has died racing motocross". At the time I really believed so. There was no internet around to convince me otherwise.
englishman
7/20/2011 10:58am Edited Date/Time 7/20/2011 10:59am
My buddies wife died earlier this year after tripping going down stairs - 42 yr old.

Another buds bro in law just had to have 90 % of his stomach removed cos of cancer an sis pretty much f'ed- 41.

Had buds die before hitting 40 from cancer, strokes, heart attacks - all fit athletes as well.

Life's just a f**ing dangerous game.

At least all those lads were doing what they loved when they went - not much compensation for those they left behind I know.
flarider
7/20/2011 11:01am
I love this sport and will always love this sport.
But I do not really like what it's become. When I started, we didn't have 100+ foot doubles. triples and table tops. The bikes weren't as fast and weren't as easy to go fast. To go really fast, you had to be good. To go really fast on today's bikes you just have to twist the grip.

It hurts when we lose another rider. We have lost more than 4 over the last year. Ashlee Sokalski died at LL's last year, the first to die at that race, I believe.

I love this sport, but I have also said it needs better policing and some standardization. If we don't start policing it, someone else will and we're not going to like it. I have been saying this for years. All you have to do is look back at the old ATC's and wonder if that can happen to this sport.

Is it worth it? That's an individual choice, like sky diving or skateboarding.
You can only answer that question for yourself.

But I do know I can no longer honestly look a parent in the eye and say it's a relatively safe sport when the proper equipment is worn. That doesn't seem to matter any longer.

I love this sport and always will, but my time in it as a participant has been over a while now, and I don't see that changing in the future.
mom241
7/20/2011 11:04am
huck wrote:

I know what you're saying, Worcs. I have hugged my 10 year old like 40 times this morning (until he told me I had a mustache--deal breaker). But he plays football (somewhat risky), like Huck says the drive to the store can be your last, young people die from crazy diseases. It's definitely a bigger risk to race dirt bikes than most other things, but there are no guarantees otherwise either. My husband was killed on a tractor. I guess just appreciate what we have while they're here. So sorry for Nick's family.
Sparkalounger
7/20/2011 11:23am
flarider wrote:
I love this sport and will always love this sport. But I do not really like what it's become. When I started, we didn't have 100+...
But I do not really like what it's become. When I started, we didn't have 100+ foot doubles. triples and table tops. The bikes weren't as fast and weren't as easy to go fast. To go really fast, you had to be good. To go really fast on today's bikes you just have to twist the grip.

It hurts when we lose another rider. We have lost more than 4 over the last year. Ashlee Sokalski died at LL's last year, the first to die at that race, I believe.

I love this sport, but I have also said it needs better policing and some standardization. If we don't start policing it, someone else will and we're not going to like it. I have been saying this for years. All you have to do is look back at the old ATC's and wonder if that can happen to this sport.

But I do know I can no longer honestly look a parent in the eye and say it's a relatively safe sport when the proper equipment is worn. That doesn't seem to matter any longer.

I love this sport and always will, but my time in it as a participant has been over a while now, and I don't see that changing in the future.
I love this sport and will always love this sport. But I do not really like what it's become. When I started, we didn't have 100+ foot doubles. triples and table tops. The bikes weren't as fast and weren't as easy to go fast. To go really fast, you had to be good. To go really fast on today's bikes you just have to twist the grip.

not to change the subject too much but this really resonates with me...

this is my argument for lowering the cc limit with the new fourstrokes. we now allow (at amateur level) 250cc 2 strokes in the "lites" class, what was the 125cc class!
with modern technology making bikes faster this logic seems completely backwards to me... doesn't it to anyone else?

if they want to allow 250 2's to compete with 250 4's fine, make it the premier class then. make the lites class like 180cc 4's and 125cc 2's or something. Lets not keep increasing the cc limit, while technology increases hp output.
PD441
7/20/2011 11:23am
A lot of valid points in this thread. It's a personal decision, probably one of THE most personal.

I decided a few months ago to hang it up. I've ridden almost all of my life. It's just not what it used to be for me. i hear of things almost daily that confirm my decision. I had no qualms about my son quitting a few years ago when he watched a good friend die after a crash.

It's become a very brutal sport. WAY too many deaths the last several years.
TriRacer27
Fantasy
47th
7/20/2011 11:28am
The only thing that isn't worth it is continuing to ride and race as we do on the tracks we ride without learning lessons and making changes to hopefully reduce the risk in the future.
huck
7/20/2011 11:34am
huck wrote:

mom241 wrote:
I know what you're saying, Worcs. I have hugged my 10 year old like 40 times this morning (until he told me I had a mustache--deal...
I know what you're saying, Worcs. I have hugged my 10 year old like 40 times this morning (until he told me I had a mustache--deal breaker). But he plays football (somewhat risky), like Huck says the drive to the store can be your last, young people die from crazy diseases. It's definitely a bigger risk to race dirt bikes than most other things, but there are no guarantees otherwise either. My husband was killed on a tractor. I guess just appreciate what we have while they're here. So sorry for Nick's family.
I can't imagine losing somebody that close (grandparents the only family members I've lost), and a child would be the worst possible thing to ever happen. Could I live with the fact that my son died while riding MX when I 'pushed' him into racing? It'd be very hard.

There are times that I am so thankful that my son (12 years old) has chosen to not even want a motorcycle, although I had one for him when he turned 3.... but he never liked it.

There are also times that I wish he was involved, as I see the joy that some families and father/son's get from being at the track all day together. We do other things together, but I think a father and son that race together, form a very tight bond, as most people don't even understand MX in general...or the commitment that it takes.

Being a parent seemed a lot easier when I was on the other side of the relationship...and KNEW EVERYTHING.. lol
karnivool
7/20/2011 11:42am
I do completely agree that the weight placement on 4 strokes is really dangerous...I grew up on 2 strokes, switched to 4 strokes and have watched several family members do the same...the amount of over the bars accidents is incredible and they are very violent...

I am not sure that you will ever be able to link deaths to machine types, nor do I think it should be...BUT, I agree 4 strokes are going to kill this sport either $$$$$ way or another...
yota
7/20/2011 11:48am
karnivool wrote:
I do completely agree that the weight placement on 4 strokes is really dangerous...I grew up on 2 strokes, switched to 4 strokes and have watched...
I do completely agree that the weight placement on 4 strokes is really dangerous...I grew up on 2 strokes, switched to 4 strokes and have watched several family members do the same...the amount of over the bars accidents is incredible and they are very violent...

I am not sure that you will ever be able to link deaths to machine types, nor do I think it should be...BUT, I agree 4 strokes are going to kill this sport either $$$$$ way or another...
not to mention kicking your guts out in the heat trying to restart one after a fall.
WORCSRacer
7/20/2011 11:50am Edited Date/Time 7/20/2011 11:51am
flarider wrote:
I love this sport and will always love this sport. But I do not really like what it's become. When I started, we didn't have 100+...

Last weekend I was watching a 7 yo on his 65 railing around the track doing all the big boy jumps (including 60+ foot open double) and I'm thinking WTF 14 inch wheels 8 inches of suspension and A FREAKIN SEVEN YEAR OLD RIDING IT.

Dave you are correct if "we" don't fix this someone else will. The parents should take responsibility but sadly they won''t/don't and with the nature of todays society the answer will be to take away the choice from the responsible and irresponsible equally.
karnivool
7/20/2011 11:54am
karnivool wrote:
I do completely agree that the weight placement on 4 strokes is really dangerous...I grew up on 2 strokes, switched to 4 strokes and have watched...

yota wrote:
not to mention kicking your guts out in the heat trying to restart one after a fall.
and high speed situations that get out of control seem to end up looking like a bomb went off...2 strokes have their issues but are much less dangerous in a crash...always will be my opinion...
huck
7/20/2011 11:57am Edited Date/Time 7/20/2011 11:59am
karnivool wrote:

yota wrote:
When is the last time you've seen somebody do that? 2001?

Chad Reed seemed to get his going pretty quick when it stalled after a HUGE crash.
Ryan Villopoto seemed to get his going pretty quick when it stalled after a crash.

Jumps are bigger now, than ever....and people are going faster. Doesn't matter if you're on a 4 stroke or 2 stroke....seems like there are a lot less pro riders getting paralyzed now... does that mean that 2 strokes cause people to be paralyzed?
Sparkalounger
7/20/2011 12:04pm Edited Date/Time 7/20/2011 12:07pm
karnivool wrote:

yota wrote:
huck wrote:
When is the last time you've seen somebody do that? 2001? Chad Reed seemed to get his going pretty quick when it stalled after a HUGE...
When is the last time you've seen somebody do that? 2001?

Chad Reed seemed to get his going pretty quick when it stalled after a HUGE crash.
Ryan Villopoto seemed to get his going pretty quick when it stalled after a crash.

Jumps are bigger now, than ever....and people are going faster. Doesn't matter if you're on a 4 stroke or 2 stroke....seems like there are a lot less pro riders getting paralyzed now... does that mean that 2 strokes cause people to be paralyzed?
well shit... now it's getting out of hand...

first off, how can you quantify "a lot less" pro riders are getting paralyzed?

my point wasn't that fourstrokes are hurting the sport, it was that the larger displacement they were given is hurting the sport. Bikes are getting better and faster, we should be reducing the cc limit not increasing it (250cc 2 strokes in the lites class).
huck
7/20/2011 12:12pm Edited Date/Time 7/20/2011 12:16pm
You're saying that Josh Lichtle passed away because of a 4 stroke?

My point was/is...4 stroke or 2 stroke, it doesn't matter... people die and get paralyzed from MX...
Titan1
7/20/2011 12:20pm
I have this same mental debate every time I line up for a race....every time. I have a wife, two daughters (4 and 3) and a son ( 8 months). Is it completely foolish and irresponsible of me to race-to ride-with so many precious souls depending on me? How would my choosing to ride, which resulted in my death, be justifiable given the potential negative effects of my wife raising my three kids without a father and as a single mom?

These thoughts run through my head every single time I put my helmet on....it eventually led to me selling my street bike...but every time I put on my gear, these thoughts run through my mind. But as soon as the engine fires....they go away (they didn't go away when i'd start my street bike...so I sold it).

I give myself a mental reality check-in which I leave my pride on the start line, and remind myself I'm racing/riding for fun and have nothing to prove-so that I don't make stupid decision and take unnecessary and unwise risks. And if I'm "not feeling it" on any given day, I pack it in. I feel I'm as safe and smart as I can be about it. As of now, it makes me happy. I have fun doing it...and I'll keep doing it until the purrrr of the motor stops drowning out the negative thoughs (i.e. when it stops being fun for me). And when that day comes....I'll gladly hang up the boots, remember all the good times, and all the good friends.

Just my .02
Mr. Info
7/20/2011 12:36pm Edited Date/Time 7/20/2011 12:40pm
We make the choice and know the risk. Does it make it any easier to lose someone no. Can it be changed no. Either we accept it or we walk away. The timetable of our lives is out of our hands. I hope I go before I were to lose either of my girls but I can't make that call no matter how hard I try. I have known Terry for over 20 years and he knows what the risks are. It is a very big loss to me because I never got to know Nick. Those that know him will attest to that. God has taken Nick to walk beside him for those that beleive that. I know I do and one day I will walk beside Nick and God. Guys it will never be a loss if we learn something from it. Nick GODSPEED and Terry and Alicia my heart go's out to you.
Kryan5
7/20/2011 12:41pm
Titan1 wrote:
I have this same mental debate every time I line up for a race....every time. I have a wife, two daughters (4 and 3) and a...
I have this same mental debate every time I line up for a race....every time. I have a wife, two daughters (4 and 3) and a son ( 8 months). Is it completely foolish and irresponsible of me to race-to ride-with so many precious souls depending on me? How would my choosing to ride, which resulted in my death, be justifiable given the potential negative effects of my wife raising my three kids without a father and as a single mom?

These thoughts run through my head every single time I put my helmet on....it eventually led to me selling my street bike...but every time I put on my gear, these thoughts run through my mind. But as soon as the engine fires....they go away (they didn't go away when i'd start my street bike...so I sold it).

I give myself a mental reality check-in which I leave my pride on the start line, and remind myself I'm racing/riding for fun and have nothing to prove-so that I don't make stupid decision and take unnecessary and unwise risks. And if I'm "not feeling it" on any given day, I pack it in. I feel I'm as safe and smart as I can be about it. As of now, it makes me happy. I have fun doing it...and I'll keep doing it until the purrrr of the motor stops drowning out the negative thoughs (i.e. when it stops being fun for me). And when that day comes....I'll gladly hang up the boots, remember all the good times, and all the good friends.

Just my .02
Well said. I'm am in the exact same position as you, street bike sold and all. I could not have said it any better that what you did. When fear takes over i'm done! As a man I can handle admitting that.
andymoto
7/20/2011 12:59pm
flarider wrote:

X2. Well said.
rocrac
7/20/2011 1:01pm
flarider wrote:

andymoto wrote:
X2. Well said.
Well said, most every other moto sport has worked to slow down the technology realizing that the machines are moving past human capabilities. I know a half dozen kids my son's age relegated to wheelchairs for the rest of their lives from mx just in my general area.
mx317
7/20/2011 1:03pm
This should not be a 2-stroke vs 4-stroke thread.

Post a reply to: Is this worth it?

The Latest