Is this the most epic piece of moto memorabilia ever?

Bauer
I dragged this 7' x 3' Hangtown banner around for a year and a half, collecting autographs along the way. It went to ten Supercross events, two Nationals, one USGP, one Monster Energy Cup, two Anaheim 1 press conferences, one Grand Central Station NYC press conference, Malcolm Smith's shop, Tom White's house, one Old SoCal Pro reunion, one Carlsbad reunion, two A2 Team Swolen reunions and a few parties. I've collected 140 signatures, everyone from Eddie Cole to Cole Seely, Malcolm Smith to Malcolm Stewart, Kenny Roberts to Kenny Roczen, Guy Cooper to Cooper Webb, and Jason Anderson to Anderson Cooper...ok, maybe not Anderson Cooper, but you get the idea.

It may seem like no big deal, what's so hard about that, right? Well, besides the actual lugging it around, which gets old quickly, there's the little problem with forgetting it, like I did at LAX. I was boarding my red-eye to the NJ Supercross, last person to get on board and realized I had left it in the crapper down on the ticketing floor. I had to get on the flight if I was going to make the PC at Grand Central Station the next day and trust the people at Jet Blue to go retrieve it and hold it for me until I flew home. I lucked out and a crew member bolted down and got back just in time to hand it to me in my seat right before take off. I've had a couple other brain farts, but none as close to losing it as that one.

Anyway, the best thing about this banner is that I kept a log and plotted every signature on a legend, so you can look and see exactly whose scribble is what, because only about one in five is legible. I'm almost out of room and I still need Carmichael, Pastrana, Windham, Stanton and there are others, but I won't have room. I also don't want to lug it around anymore and possibly lose it. I originally was going to auction it off to raise funds for my Big Air Kid's Fair, but halfway through I kind of decided it was a labor of love I will probably keep...I was offered $5,000 for it, already.

Anyway, here it is, I think it's pretty cool and maybe the only thing like it...it looks kind of pink in the photo, but it's not. I'm just a shitty photographer who knows very little about lighting

|
Tumblin
8/8/2016 12:45pm
Looks good, however still needs at minimum a Doug Henry before it rates as "most' Epic
Tumblin
8/8/2016 12:48pm
But awesome deal Steve, sorry for the sarcasm
newmann
8/8/2016 12:52pm
That's cool and definitely a keeper. At least for a little while. You've raffled off quite a bit of impressive things over the years for the kids so I can see you throwing this out there at some point as well. A tip of the hat to you sir for doing what you do! I recognized quite a few of the scribbles right off the bat as they look familiar to a few I have around the house. Thanks for sharing...
Bauer
8/8/2016 12:58pm
Tumblin wrote:
Looks good, however still needs at minimum a Doug Henry before it rates as "most' Epic
Agreed. Not a lot of room left. One problem I forgot to mention is that when there are racers around and they see something like this, they want to sign it. How do you tell someone, "No thanks, I'd rather you didn't..." without them getting butthurt?

From the beginning I asked riders to go easy on the size because I knew it would get tight, but the bigger their ego, the bigger their sig. Some I didn't mind, a couple I wasn't too stoked on. I'll let you figure out which ones. I also asked for no overlapping and almost succeeded.

Check out Alessi's illegible garbage sig in the bottom right: Big as Baltimore and couldn't even make the # resemble 800. I don't care, but don't take up 1/4 of the banner with scribble, cuz yer in such a big hurry...ugh.

The Shop

a22
8/8/2016 1:04pm Edited Date/Time 8/8/2016 1:06pm
Sure I must have defo signed this thing at some point... just cannot seem to find my name though, must be on there somewhere would think?! maybe in very small writing, that could be why.....WhistlingWoohoo

Cool poster for sure.
dkg
8/8/2016 1:06pm
Very cool. Hope it goes on display somewhere. Did you at least have the Jet Blue savior sign on the back. LOL
a22
8/8/2016 1:13pm Edited Date/Time 8/8/2016 1:16pm
Ah, think I solved the mystery of me not being on the list- I am probably no:4, not identified!

Joking aside, what is the deal with no:4- why is it un-identified? Just signed no.4 ? Who was that? was it RC?
Bauer
8/8/2016 1:28pm
a22 wrote:
Ah, think I solved the mystery of me not being on the list- I am probably no:4, not identified! Joking aside, what is the deal with...
Ah, think I solved the mystery of me not being on the list- I am probably no:4, not identified!

Joking aside, what is the deal with no:4- why is it un-identified? Just signed no.4 ? Who was that? was it RC?
No, the mystery #4 is the sig that is plotted as #4 on the key with the numbers. It's right above Emig's sig and he signed it #25. I got it at Hangtown and have racked my brain for hours trying to figure it out. I sure wish someone could tell me!
yak651
Fantasy
214th
8/8/2016 1:29pm
Tumblin wrote:
Bauer wrote:
Agreed. Not a lot of room left. One problem I forgot to mention is that when there are racers around and they see something like this...
Agreed. Not a lot of room left. One problem I forgot to mention is that when there are racers around and they see something like this, they want to sign it. How do you tell someone, "No thanks, I'd rather you didn't..." without them getting butthurt?

From the beginning I asked riders to go easy on the size because I knew it would get tight, but the bigger their ego, the bigger their sig. Some I didn't mind, a couple I wasn't too stoked on. I'll let you figure out which ones. I also asked for no overlapping and almost succeeded.

Check out Alessi's illegible garbage sig in the bottom right: Big as Baltimore and couldn't even make the # resemble 800. I don't care, but don't take up 1/4 of the banner with scribble, cuz yer in such a big hurry...ugh.
BobbyM just took his shirt off...
Firefly47
8/8/2016 1:30pm
Ralph Sheheen's autograph almost automatically makes it worth 10x more than if it weren't on there.
8/8/2016 1:35pm
I know who's signature NR4 is

thats Marvin Musquin's Signature 99% sure
a22
8/8/2016 1:40pm
a22 wrote:
Ah, think I solved the mystery of me not being on the list- I am probably no:4, not identified! Joking aside, what is the deal with...

Bauer wrote:
No, the mystery #4 is the sig that is plotted as #4 on the key with the numbers. It's right above Emig's sig and he signed...
No, the mystery #4 is the sig that is plotted as #4 on the key with the numbers. It's right above Emig's sig and he signed it #25. I got it at Hangtown and have racked my brain for hours trying to figure it out. I sure wish someone could tell me!
Could it be Kent Howerton, or is he already accounted for on the list? Think he ran no.4 on occasions and also did Hangtown.
dboivin
8/8/2016 1:42pm Edited Date/Time 8/8/2016 1:43pm
#4 is marvin musquin,
KMC440
8/8/2016 1:44pm Edited Date/Time 8/8/2016 1:44pm
Malcolm Smith exactly where he should be.

THE John Hancock of American motorcycling.

Well done Steve.
mx_563
8/8/2016 2:12pm
Tarnished with Luongo's autograph.

Tongue
Bauer
8/9/2016 2:33am
dboivin wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2016/08/08/146321/s1200_marvin.jpg[/img]

No, it's not Marvin, he signed down by dungey. In fact I got pissed cuz dungey overlapped on him.
Bauer
8/9/2016 2:35am
a22 wrote:

Bauer wrote:
No, the mystery #4 is the sig that is plotted as #4 on the key with the numbers. It's right above Emig's sig and he signed...
a22 wrote:
Could it be Kent Howerton, or is he already accounted for on the list? Think he ran no.4 on occasions and also did Hangtown.
No, haven't run into Kent
dboivin
8/9/2016 5:21am
dboivin wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2016/08/08/146321/s1200_marvin.jpg[/img]

Bauer wrote:
No, it's not Marvin, he signed down by dungey. In fact I got pissed cuz dungey overlapped on him.
dunno what to tell you but thats marvins sig. look at the shape of the M's the length of each draw down...the loop in the top of the #2....I hate to be the one to tell you your wrong....but your wrong. Smile
Bauer
8/11/2016 7:02am
dboivin wrote:
here, this will help :) [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2016/08/09/146388/s1200_MM25.jpg[/img]
here, this will help Smile

I get what you're saying, but how do you account for the stuff in between the MM and the 25? Plus I distinctly remember getting Marvin's sig at Grand Central Station, right before the press conference and there's no way I would have asked for it a second time at Hangtown. I'm gonna figure it out...
dsmith
Fantasy
1485th
8/11/2016 7:30am
damn...that is f'n cool!
Moto_Geek
Fantasy
1464th
8/11/2016 9:51am Edited Date/Time 8/11/2016 9:53am
Where's Doug Henry? Friend request sent.. LOL.. That awesome Steve.. You could easily replicate like artist do and sell copies online and keep the original. Pastrana so fricken busy, you are going to have to catch him at a Nitro event.
MXant15
Fantasy
802nd
8/11/2016 5:58pm
Bauer, absolutely amazing piece of racing memorabilia. Great job!

Get the GOAT on there, seriously.

Post a reply to: Is this the most epic piece of moto memorabilia ever?

The Latest