Is this bad? Or normal?

Edited Date/Time 4/4/2015 9:17pm
So I have a 2012 KTM 250 SX two-stroke. Bought it from new and only have about 40 hours on it but here's the list of things that have broken/fallen off or are just a bit sucky:

- On day one I went to replace the stock silencer with an FMF but the FMF replacement was for the wrong bike. I wanted to ride so I immediately put the stocker back on but it wouldn't fit even with pipe mounting bolts totally loose. I ended up having to grind down the rear stock silencer mount just to get the thing back on the bike. Wasn't impressed.

- After 5 hours the countershaft seal blew. Replaced it with OEM and that one blew within another 3 hours. Replaced that one with an aftermarket seal and all has been good. I’m meticulous about not running my chain too tight so that wasn’t the issue. Never had this happen twice in such quick succession on any other bike.

- Around the same time the water pump housing seal blew. Replaced with OEM and has been OK since. Never had this happen on any other bike after so little ride time.

- As I started to take it to the track more I really noticed the vibration. When I would ride it hard I would get numb fingers after 10 mins and gnarly blisters. I replaced the bars with some carbon composite bars and that seemed to fix the problem. Other than a CR500 I rode once, I’ve never known vibration like that translated through the bars.

- The bike eats coolant. Every time out I put coolant in it just covering the fins and every time back it will have eaten the coolant and I’ll have to put in an extra half cup or so. Happens regardless of ambient temp, even when it’s only 40F outside. Never had this happen on any other bike.

- After about 10 hours the stock pipe split open where one of the spring mounts is welded to it. Proper big split. Didn’t crash it, just happened one day. I finished the day with my bike sounding like a Massey Ferguson. Replaced it with a sweet FMF pipe. I’ve destroyed pipes by crashing but have never had one just fall apart on any other bike.

- After about 10 hours the rear fender mounting bolts had sheared through the fender so the rear fender is always wobbly despite the bolts being tight. Never had this happen on any other bike, although I have had a couple of seats fall off RM125s when the aluminium mounts sheared through.

- First race (about 20 hours in) and I crash and the quick release gas cap falls off ripping out the little plastic tangs thereby enabling me to bathe my nuts in pre-mix mid-race. Very refreshing. Never had this happen on any other bike because other manufacturers weren’t daft enough to use a quick release gas cap.

- After about 30 hours an exhaust mounting tab weld failed. To finish the day I used a hose clip to hold the pipe onto the bike. Pretty sure that custom mod made me go faster. Despite looking factory, the hose clip had to go and I had a new steel tab fabricated and welded back onto the frame. Never had this happen on any other bike.

- At about the same time I went to lube the throttle cable and the bottom of the throttle housing had split in two. Never had this happen on any other bike.

- Then two weeks ago the front wheel turned banana shaped. I didn’t flat-land or come up short or anything that day and I always check my spokes are tight and even. Had to replace the rim and spokes. Never had this happen on any other bike.

- Last week the throttle cable frayed and jammed the throttle WFO on a downhill triple on the opening lap of my first moto. I managed to save it but no one had a spare two-stroke cable so my race day was toast. I ordered an OEM cable but that didn’t fit the bike!?!? The cable itself was the right length but the outer sheath (f’nar!) was about ¾” too short so the slide couldn’t hit the stop. Dealer and I double-checked the KTM part number which was right but the damn cable was just plain wrong. Dealer couldn’t help me so I did a bit of Googling and apparently a 2002 CR250 cable fits. I bought one and it looks good but I am yet to fit it. Never have I seen an OEM part that doesn’t fit the bike it’s supposed to. Beggars belief.

I just wondered whether all this is normal these days since my last bike before this one was a 2000 RM 125 and never gave me any trouble (other than some rather fruity headshake), or whether I just got a KTM Friday bike built after the assembly workers had hit the Heineken a little too hard at lunch time?

Oh, and despite this rather alarming list I absolutely love the bike to ride. I can throw it around, it corners great and has decent power, especially with the FMF pipe and shorty silencer.

Cheers
Simon

|
Cygnus
4/3/2015 1:53pm Edited Date/Time 4/3/2015 2:49pm
peelout
4/3/2015 2:02pm
bro, no offense, but you're the Roy Munson of motocross
seth505
Fantasy
1271st
4/3/2015 2:09pm
Only 2 points out of the 9000 I can agree/comment on haha.

1) The stock pipes suck and mine cracked at 10-ish hours as well
2) It vibrates more than my yz 250 did

All the others, holy shit, sounds like a drunk pieced your bike together!

The Shop

lostboy819
Fantasy
1342nd
4/3/2015 2:10pm
Let me get this straight. You wanted to replace the silencer with a FMF but had the wrong FMF so you put the stock silencer back on but it would not fit. So it fit before you tried to replace it and then when you went to put it back on and suddenly it would not fit?

How in the hell would it not fit if you had just taken it off and then put it back on ?

- On day one I went to replace the stock silencer with an FMF but the FMF replacement was for the wrong bike. I wanted to ride so I immediately put the stocker back on but it wouldn't fit even with pipe mounting bolts totally loose. I ended up having to grind down the rear stock silencer mount just to get the thing back on the bike. Wasn't impressed.

4/3/2015 2:15pm
lostboy819 wrote:
Let me get this straight. You wanted to replace the silencer with a FMF but had the wrong FMF so you put the stock silencer back...
Let me get this straight. You wanted to replace the silencer with a FMF but had the wrong FMF so you put the stock silencer back on but it would not fit. So it fit before you tried to replace it and then when you went to put it back on and suddenly it would not fit?

How in the hell would it not fit if you had just taken it off and then put it back on ?

EXACTLY! I couldn't believe it either. When I tried to line the stock silencer back up it was off maybe a quarter inch. I can only assume that it was under tension before I removed it due to a manufacturing defect, and when I took it off the subframe untensioned itself thereby preventing the silencer mounts from lining up properly when I went to put it back on 20 mins later. At the time I thought "Dirty Austrian goat farmers, should have stuck to farming goats". And now, having had all these issues with the bike I think "Dirty Austrian goat farmers, should have stuck to farming goats" Smile

Cheers
Simon
philG
4/3/2015 2:16pm
some people just have issues with stuff.... some never do.

i think i had 2 motors fail in 35 years of racing MX.. my buddy used to buy the same bike as me, his was a POS in a month , mine was fine after 2 seasons.
4/3/2015 2:20pm
philG wrote:
some people just have issues with stuff.... some never do. i think i had 2 motors fail in 35 years of racing MX.. my buddy used...
some people just have issues with stuff.... some never do.

i think i had 2 motors fail in 35 years of racing MX.. my buddy used to buy the same bike as me, his was a POS in a month , mine was fine after 2 seasons.
Yeah, I've only ever had one dog of a bike and that was a 98 KX125, and even then it was just the rear shock that was dud - they had failed to properly machine some of the internals at the factory so the clickers pretty much ran free and adjusted themselves. Other than that, and this KTM, all my previous bikes have been solid.

Cheers
Simon
Homey55
4/3/2015 2:26pm
EXACTLY! I couldn't believe it either. When I tried to line the stock silencer back up it was off maybe a quarter inch. I can only...
EXACTLY! I couldn't believe it either. When I tried to line the stock silencer back up it was off maybe a quarter inch. I can only assume that it was under tension before I removed it due to a manufacturing defect, and when I took it off the subframe untensioned itself thereby preventing the silencer mounts from lining up properly when I went to put it back on 20 mins later. At the time I thought "Dirty Austrian goat farmers, should have stuck to farming goats". And now, having had all these issues with the bike I think "Dirty Austrian goat farmers, should have stuck to farming goats" Smile

Cheers
Simon
I'm wondering if that problem caused the broken expansion chamber as well as the sheared fender bolts? Maybe the frame is tweaked causing all of those problems plus the countershaft seal problem?
Tbteam
4/3/2015 2:32pm
I'm just sitting here thinking "I wonder how long ago I would have sold this bike"?
hartebreak
Fantasy
247th
4/3/2015 2:33pm
EXACTLY! I couldn't believe it either. When I tried to line the stock silencer back up it was off maybe a quarter inch. I can only...

Cheers
Simon
Homey55 wrote:
I'm wondering if that problem caused the broken expansion chamber as well as the sheared fender bolts? Maybe the frame is tweaked causing all of those...
I'm wondering if that problem caused the broken expansion chamber as well as the sheared fender bolts? Maybe the frame is tweaked causing all of those problems plus the countershaft seal problem?
Sounds like a bent subframe to me.
4/3/2015 2:34pm
Tbteam wrote:
I'm just sitting here thinking "I wonder how long ago I would have sold this bike"?
Yeah, but my problem with it is that all this stuff slowly snuck up on me over time because I don't really get to ride it that much and I really, really like how the bike rides.
4/3/2015 2:35pm
Homey55 wrote:
I'm wondering if that problem caused the broken expansion chamber as well as the sheared fender bolts? Maybe the frame is tweaked causing all of those...
Totally possible. Never had a bike that was tweaked in that way from the factory before.
Olson
4/3/2015 2:36pm
A friend had a lot of the similar problems on his KTM SX 250 2014. The vibration caused the pipes to crack, he sent the motor to a tuning company and they balanced the crank. Most of the vibrations went away and no more destroyed pipes.

My SX-F 450 was also off balance from the factory, but this didn't cause it to vibrate, it plain and simple cut the engine out. It could cut out whenever least expected, KTM did balance the engine and change some faulty parts for free but the bike could've killed me. Rode the bike for a full season after that with zero problems. Not even a loose nut.
4/3/2015 2:44pm
Olson wrote:
A friend had a lot of the similar problems on his KTM SX 250 2014. The vibration caused the pipes to crack, he sent the motor...
A friend had a lot of the similar problems on his KTM SX 250 2014. The vibration caused the pipes to crack, he sent the motor to a tuning company and they balanced the crank. Most of the vibrations went away and no more destroyed pipes.

My SX-F 450 was also off balance from the factory, but this didn't cause it to vibrate, it plain and simple cut the engine out. It could cut out whenever least expected, KTM did balance the engine and change some faulty parts for free but the bike could've killed me. Rode the bike for a full season after that with zero problems. Not even a loose nut.
I could totally see that being the problem, and the 250 2T engine hasn't really changed since mine was built in 2012. At least KTM fixed your 4T.

Flex
4/3/2015 2:46pm
My old 2012 and current 2013 have treated me very well, thank god lol. Honestly sounds like the bike was a "lemon"
Flex
4/3/2015 2:50pm
And for the vibration, it's not really that bad. I find if you Torque the engine mounts to proper spec and loctite them the bike vibrates a fairly normal amount IMO. My 2015 YZ seems to vibrate about the same stock but I put some Anti vibration bar inserts that helped a lot.
Steve125
Fantasy
2787th
4/3/2015 2:51pm
My local dealer has a service department full low hour, broken KTMs.

I've owned KTMs in the past and I had strange things break on them too. Personally, I'll never buy another one. No matter how orange the Kool Aid is.
Madc32
4/3/2015 2:51pm
lostboy819 wrote:
Let me get this straight. You wanted to replace the silencer with a FMF but had the wrong FMF so you put the stock silencer back...

Sounds like someone who shouldn't do their own work. My 2013 300 XC has 150 hours and has been flawless. My 2007 525 XC-W was the same way.
4/3/2015 2:55pm
lostboy819 wrote:

Madc32 wrote:
Sounds like someone who shouldn't do their own work. My 2013 300 XC has 150 hours and has been flawless. My 2007 525 XC-W was the...
Sounds like someone who shouldn't do their own work. My 2013 300 XC has 150 hours and has been flawless. My 2007 525 XC-W was the same way.
Thanks. I've had tens of bikes over the years and done all the work on them myself except for splitting crankcases and revalving suspension. I'm confident it's not the mechanic Smile

Cheers
Simon
4/3/2015 2:57pm
Flex wrote:
And for the vibration, it's not really that bad. I find if you Torque the engine mounts to proper spec and loctite them the bike vibrates...
And for the vibration, it's not really that bad. I find if you Torque the engine mounts to proper spec and loctite them the bike vibrates a fairly normal amount IMO. My 2015 YZ seems to vibrate about the same stock but I put some Anti vibration bar inserts that helped a lot.
That was the first thing I did when I got numb hands. Didn't help the vibration, but the fancy aftermarket bars eliminated it almost entirely. Makes sense though that the vibration is causing thing the rattle itself apart.

Cheers
Simon
h&m_cycle
4/3/2015 3:01pm
I would of sold it after the gas cap come off... man I would of been pissed
Uncle Tony
4/3/2015 3:04pm
I had an 2007 husqvarna that did the same thing, only parts would fall off it while riding, I have owned a few KTM's my 2003 520SX broke all the time, but my 02 520 never broke, and my 09 125SX never broke either, in 2 years of racing I never even put a clutch or a seal of any kind on it, but my 03 almost made me quit racing, it's the bike
scooter5002
4/3/2015 5:43pm
Sucks you've had all that bad luck, don't know what else to say. I had a 96 500 Kwacker that was a lemon, and I offed it after 1 season. I had some major issues, but it wasn't near the turd yours is.

I'll offer some advice on the vibration issue, try it, see if it works. Break the lower and front motor mount bolts loose, but leave your swingarm pivot torqued to spec. See what the gaps are on the 4 points where the frame tabs meet the motor mount holes on the cases, and build shims to fit. Make them so they are a snug fit, when you slide them into place. Basically, you want zero tension on those frame rails, after you tighten them up again. Think of the frame rail as a guitar string, and if it's not tight, it won't make a sound. In this case, it wont transfer vibration from the engine into the chassis. It might take a couple of hours, but you have nothing to lose. I remember riding a friends 12 250 KTM, and thought it vibrated a lot too. More than my 500AF, which I did the shim thing to. My AF vibrates less than my steel frame 500 did, and those are notorious shakers.
jeffro503
4/3/2015 6:16pm
Homey55 wrote:
Totally possible. Never had a bike that was tweaked in that way from the factory before.
If that bike ever took a hard tumble on it's own ( like a high speed , you bailed off type wreck ) , It is totally possible that frame is bent.
BobPA
4/3/2015 6:31pm
My 350 did the same thing with the rear fender bolts....it is caused by the bolts coming loose and the fender vibrating. Chalk that up to user error on both our parts.
ridge
4/3/2015 6:56pm
peelout wrote:
bro, no offense, but you're the Roy Munson of motocross
Thanks bro! I was going to read all that until I saw your comment… No need now. Lmao
4/3/2015 7:12pm Edited Date/Time 4/3/2015 7:18pm
BobPA wrote:
My 350 did the same thing with the rear fender bolts....it is caused by the bolts coming loose and the fender vibrating. Chalk that up to...
My 350 did the same thing with the rear fender bolts....it is caused by the bolts coming loose and the fender vibrating. Chalk that up to user error on both our parts.
When you buy a KTM, ask the dealer to throw bottle of Loctite into the deal. Can't own KTM's without owning Loctite.
I've owned 6 KTM's, all of them serverd me well. I only twice had a dealer lay hands on my bike, and those are the only 2 times i actually had an issue (only minor but still...). I even never had to replace a clutch slave cylinder while everybody seems to break those.
hillbilly
4/3/2015 7:16pm
I'd say you are about to buy some crank bearings and seals or big end of the rod bearing..

Where is the coolant going? Out the overflow or internal?

I guess you checked the case vent on the tranny that it is clear ,that plugged will push oil thru seals.

Post a reply to: Is this bad? Or normal?

The Latest