Is it possible that KTM could change their mind about Herlings...

O___o
10/29/2014 11:49am Edited Date/Time 10/31/2014 3:36pm
They announced Jeffy would run MX2 again in 2015 BEFORE Villopoto's trip to GPs was official. Do you think it is possible, that upon learning this, they might move him to MX1 for 2015 to try to (in their minds) put another orange bike between Tony and Ryan?

I'd say it has probably run through Evert's head more than once, but who knows.
|
JonnyDH84
10/29/2014 11:51am Edited Date/Time 10/29/2014 11:51am
Herlings just posted on Facebook he has big news coming soon so who knows maybe it might happen.
hvaughn88
10/29/2014 11:53am
I hope so. It would be even more fun than it's already gonna be
10/29/2014 11:55am
Why would you when you could have a 250f and 450 championship?
Cygnus
10/29/2014 11:56am
I'd rather see him come here for SX and Nats!

The Shop

mccread
10/29/2014 11:57am Edited Date/Time 10/29/2014 11:59am
O___o wrote:
They announced Jeffy would run MX2 again in 2015 BEFORE Villopoto's trip to GPs was official. Do you think it is possible, that upon learning this...
They announced Jeffy would run MX2 again in 2015 BEFORE Villopoto's trip to GPs was official. Do you think it is possible, that upon learning this, they might move him to MX1 for 2015 to try to (in their minds) put another orange bike between Tony and Ryan?

I'd say it has probably run through Evert's head more than once, but who knows.
I agree and I hope they will.

If AC gets hurt they have basically lost their 2015 title to RV (or Paulin etc) With Herlings there it means if AC gets hurt they still have just as a good a shot at the MXGP title.

I think KTMs problem is they have no-one else in MX2 to win a title next year (Pootjes and Jonass are for the future not 2015). They should have signed Gajser or not let Tixier go. If either of those had been at KTM, they might have let Herlings move up imo because then they would have had a title contender to replace him next season.

Cairoli v Herlings v RV would be the ultimate championship and I would imagine Herlings despite recovering from a broken femur is pretty frustrated he can't race RV the one year he races the World Championship!
Berm
Fantasy
82nd
10/29/2014 11:57am
Seeing as Poto is only racing one year, Herlings might want to race for the 450 championship. Just think of the rewards, not only beating AC but Poto too? And it isn't much of a downside, he would be somewhat of an underdog compared to AC and Poto and probably not odds on favorite right?

Also, could he drop back down to 250's in 2016 then?
HenryA
10/29/2014 12:05pm
Is Herlings faster than AC?
Ninurta
10/29/2014 12:07pm
Berm wrote:
Seeing as Poto is only racing one year, Herlings might want to race for the 450 championship. Just think of the rewards, not only beating AC...
Seeing as Poto is only racing one year, Herlings might want to race for the 450 championship. Just think of the rewards, not only beating AC but Poto too? And it isn't much of a downside, he would be somewhat of an underdog compared to AC and Poto and probably not odds on favorite right?

Also, could he drop back down to 250's in 2016 then?
Yes he can drop back down as long as he is under the age limit . Jens Getteman will be doing that in 2015 ( mxgp back to Mx2)
IWreckALot
10/29/2014 12:12pm
HenryA wrote:
Have they raced each other in recent history? It sounds like Herlings at least has an interest in the AMA scene. I'd like to see how he adapts to the series over here but moving up to the 450 GP circuit would be sweet also.
Xeno
10/29/2014 12:27pm
They will bump Herlings up to the 450 after he cliches the MX2 title. If the pumpkin patch is fortunate, he will clinch it with 2 or 3 rounds to go, so then he can act as a spoiler to RV.

It will all come down to the last moto at Glen Helen, where I will be trackside with a 32 oz (1 liter) drink FULL of ice. Smile
seth505
Fantasy
1048th
10/29/2014 12:34pm
From a selfish fans perspective, it would be so sick if RV, AC and Herlings were duking it out all year, especially since this is RVs farewell. That said, I think it's still in KTMs best interest to leave him down and clean up another Championship.
kiwifan
10/29/2014 12:50pm
Isnt honda after Herlings?...perhaps that is the big news...I doubt it would change in 2015 though as he is locked into a KTM contract.

I think he will be in the 450's in 2015.
mccread
10/29/2014 1:12pm Edited Date/Time 10/29/2014 1:13pm
Maybe Herlings said to KTM that he wants to race MXGP next season and if they let him he will sign a multi-year deal with them, other wise he will be off to Honda or somewhere. KTM wouldn't have much choice then...

Herlings to MXGP might actually be happening next year...

davistld01
10/29/2014 1:28pm
mccread wrote:
Maybe Herlings said to KTM that he wants to race MXGP next season and if they let him he will sign a multi-year deal with them...
Maybe Herlings said to KTM that he wants to race MXGP next season and if they let him he will sign a multi-year deal with them, other wise he will be off to Honda or somewhere. KTM wouldn't have much choice then...

Herlings to MXGP might actually be happening next year...

KTM might bow to Herlings just to keep him as a backup for the championship should TC222 get taken out of the series for some reason. As it is now...if Cairoli gets hurt, RV is probably a shoe in for the tittle.
KlootZak
10/29/2014 1:50pm
Don't underestimate Paulin or Desalle ... These guys are more motivated than ever and perhaps they can finally nail one consistent season
mccread
10/29/2014 2:14pm
KlootZak wrote:
Don't underestimate Paulin or Desalle ... These guys are more motivated than ever and perhaps they can finally nail one consistent season
Yep, Paulin on that HRC Honda will be up there for sure, he had the stuff this year too but got hurt and will be even faster next year imo. Desalle just needs to stay healthy and JVH will be knocking on the door too.
Bearuno
10/29/2014 8:54pm Edited Date/Time 10/29/2014 8:56pm
KTM have plenty of quality riders for MXGP next year, without Herlings.

It's never been just an AC fest . Though I regard him as the best MXer in the World, there has been enormous depth in terms of genuine race winners in the class.

But, injuries are/ have been rampant in MX1 / MXGP. It's a fact of life for all sports, but MX in particular. This year, Paulin, Nagl, Searle,. Desalle, Bobryshev and more, all had at least 4 / 5 or more missed GPs from injuries. And, of course, JR had his massive injury.

KTM have Searle in their MXGP Team (and, joy of joys, they've kept on The Worlds Most Stylish Rider: Big Ken). Searle may just have the chance being back with KTM, to live up to his potential. He and Herlings battled mightily for the 2012 MX2 title.

Max Nagl is with Husky for 2015, I think - well, KTM by another name. Another bloke blighted by injury / illness, that is capable of wins / a championship.

Herlings, provided he comes back at his previous level, can pretty much do whatever he wants. I doubt he is much concerned with RVs (only) year in MXGP, but I certainly could be wrong on that.

It Herlings comes back healthy, the bidding war between KTM and HRC could be astounding for his services from 2016 onwards. HRC really, really want to get back to winning World Championships.Though, they may well already be there at the end of 2015, if Paulin adapts to the bike / team, And stays healthy.

Herlings to the USA - doubtful, and it has been now for a few years.

There are videos of him, circa 2011, with him talking about his desire to do SX - something that quite a few young Euros express, having grown up watching SX / reading mags and the Web, But, it has seemed he's gone to the US, practiced SX, and not found it, and/or perhaps the US lifestyle, to be to his liking. Now, quite a few here will be 'upset' at a bloke having a look, and deciding it really doesn't tickle his fancy, but, it appears he doesn't have much use for SX - fair enough, not everyone finds that SX is what they really like (Ferris, seems to be one, even though he did quite well in his first US SXs), or are good / great at, and SX,Is the main thing in the US. If you listened to RV on PulpMX the other day, you would have heard him saying Kawi / his other major sponsors, had no interest in him doing just the Nationals, instead of SX - it was SX, or nothing, basically, from what he said.
Spydee
10/30/2014 12:57am Edited Date/Time 10/30/2014 12:57am
In addition to RV's PulpMX interview, RV himself also stated that if he's really enjoying the MXGP life and "doing backflips", then he'll reconsider retiring at the end of 2015, so there is still a glimpse of light at the end of the 'RV v AC v JH' tunnel should Herlings decide to stay in MX2 for next year following a promotion to MX1 in 2016.
The Rock
10/30/2014 1:49am Edited Date/Time 10/30/2014 1:50am
mccread wrote:
I agree and I hope they will. If AC gets hurt they have basically lost their 2015 title to RV (or Paulin etc) With Herlings there...
I agree and I hope they will.

If AC gets hurt they have basically lost their 2015 title to RV (or Paulin etc) With Herlings there it means if AC gets hurt they still have just as a good a shot at the MXGP title.

I think KTMs problem is they have no-one else in MX2 to win a title next year (Pootjes and Jonass are for the future not 2015). They should have signed Gajser or not let Tixier go. If either of those had been at KTM, they might have let Herlings move up imo because then they would have had a title contender to replace him next season.

Cairoli v Herlings v RV would be the ultimate championship and I would imagine Herlings despite recovering from a broken femur is pretty frustrated he can't race RV the one year he races the World Championship!
I believe RVs one year deal could easily go longer regardless of what is being said now.
Antonioni
10/30/2014 2:56am
HenryA wrote:
Yes, Herlings is faster, it's obvious... (in my opinion)

It would be a dream, Herlings for 450 mxgp from 2015.
JonnyDH84
10/30/2014 4:03am
on the flip side could you see RV going out as a loser if cairoli beats him. Thats not the RV I've watched over the last few seasons he doesn't do losing I think he will keep riding if he feels he can beat cairoli.
Crush
10/30/2014 4:39am
JonnyDH84 wrote:
on the flip side could you see RV going out as a loser if cairoli beats him. Thats not the RV I've watched over the last...
on the flip side could you see RV going out as a loser if cairoli beats him. Thats not the RV I've watched over the last few seasons he doesn't do losing I think he will keep riding if he feels he can beat cairoli.
I get your point, but on the other hand what has RV lost recently.... It's been since 09 he didn't win a championship he finished, even then he missed races in SX... 08 SX Canard beat him on the east... Since then he's been pretty dominant, and I really believe he's over it. He'll go out wether we like it or not... I think RV likes to win because it's his job to kick ass.
Flip109
10/30/2014 4:44am
I think RV will like the more laid back GP scene with the long offseason. If he enjoys the race tracks, is accepted well by the fans, and can get in some good hunting over there on the side I could see him staying a few years....
Gringoe
10/30/2014 5:30am Edited Date/Time 10/30/2014 5:32am
Flip109 wrote:
I think RV will like the more laid back GP scene with the long offseason. If he enjoys the race tracks, is accepted well by the...
I think RV will like the more laid back GP scene with the long offseason. If he enjoys the race tracks, is accepted well by the fans, and can get in some good hunting over there on the side I could see him staying a few years....
X2 if him and his wife really enjoy it then I could see it going more than a year.

Let's hope the year flys by and leaves him wanting more, regardless of winning or not .
APLMAN99
10/30/2014 6:25am
JonnyDH84 wrote:
on the flip side could you see RV going out as a loser if cairoli beats him. Thats not the RV I've watched over the last...
If Cairoli simply beats him, I think RV would be able to accept that. If he suffers an injury and loses the title but otherwise has AC covered, I think he'd have a harder time walking away.

You never really know, though, sometimes even your closest friends surprise you with how they react to things. The only way we'll know for sure is if it happens.
10/30/2014 6:32am
IF he does go mx1- it will absolutely EPIC racing in mx1 next year! It's already shaping up to be a great season, but adding jeffrey to the mix would make it absolutely unreal!!!

What bike do you guys think he would go for if he did go mx1? i think, as long as he stays at ktm that it would be a good move for him to race the 350. IF he does race mx1 next year i think he will win the title.

Unfortunately I think its highly unlikely- KTM have already got searle, de dyker and cairoli on the factory team, all 3 can be podium contenders with one likely champion. In mx2 they don't have anyone (other than herlings) with a realistic chance of the title. KTM will want jeffrey to stay in mx2, so they have a good chance of winning both titles

REALLY hope that I'm wrong, but I think herlings' 'big' news will be something else- like his leg is fully healed, or he plans on racing an ama national next year
TDeath21
10/30/2014 6:59am
He's clearly ready to move up. Why not now? Nothing to lose. Everything to gain. He has nothing more to prove in MX2 and the only thing that will make him better at this point is better competition.
O___o
10/30/2014 7:09am
TDeath21 wrote:
He's clearly ready to move up. Why not now? Nothing to lose. Everything to gain. He has nothing more to prove in MX2 and the only...
He's clearly ready to move up. Why not now? Nothing to lose. Everything to gain. He has nothing more to prove in MX2 and the only thing that will make him better at this point is better competition.
KTM makes MX2 worth his while with 1M dollar championship bonuses.

Laugh all you want, but if I were KTM, I'd put him in MX2 for one more year on a KTM125SX. Jeffy is good enough to win the title on it, they could make a 125 FE, excellent marketing gimmick to sell a shiiiiiit load of 125s. It's rare that a manfacturer has a rider so dominant that they could put him on a 125, and that same manufacturer happens to still make a 125 that isn't a joke. rare opportunity for KTM.
GuyB
Fantasy
1274th
10/30/2014 7:21am
KTM RACING SIGNS JEFFREY HERLINGS FOR 2016-2017

KTM Racing has announced that Jeffrey Herlings, the most talented rider in the World Championship Motocross paddock has been signed to ride as a Red Bull KTM factory rider until the end of the 2017 season.

In 2009 Jeffrey rode for JM Racing KTM, his first step to becoming a full factory rider with the KTM team. His opportunity came to move into the MX2 KTM Factory Team at the end of 2009 when, shortly after his fifteenth birthday he had his first factory ride.

Herlings, a Red Bull athlete, rode his first full MX2 season with Red Bull KTM Factory Racing in 2010 and became the youngest ever MX2 GP winner riding in front of his home crowd at Valkenswaard in April of that year.

Since then he has amassed an impressive total of two MX2 World Championship titles (2012 and 2013), 43 GP wins and in 2014 had an unbeaten streak of 18 race wins. He also won all the GPs in which he started in 2014 however an untimely injury prevented him from competing in the next three GPs of the season.

Jeffrey showed immense courage and determination, and the respect of the entire world of motorcycling to return to the final round in Mexico, attempting to seal his third title by racing in the final round while riding with a still injured leg. He finished the championship in second place conceding only in the final race of the season.

Jeffrey Herlings: “I’ve now had five seasons with KTM and I’m very happy that Pit (Beirer) is giving me a chance to stay with the team for another three years. The team has done a great job and I hope we can continue with good news and good wins in the future.”

Pit Beirer, Head of KTM Motorsport: “We are very pleased to have reached agreement with Jeffrey to ride for the factory team through to the end of 2017. Anyone who is a follower of the sport recognizes that he is a rider of passion and exceptional skill and we are very proud that he will be on our bikes and in our factory team in the coming seasons.”

Post a reply to: Is it possible that KTM could change their mind about Herlings...

The Latest