Is it against the rules to race with an extra set of goggles?

500guy
7/28/2010 8:38am
OldTiddler wrote:
If I raced for my livelihood, I'd want to throw an extra set around my neck or something just in case...
question is, could you get the old ones off and new ones on quicker than stopping in the mechanics area ?
Torco1
7/28/2010 8:40am
OldTiddler wrote:
If I raced for my livelihood, I'd want to throw an extra set around my neck or something just in case...
500guy wrote:
question is, could you get the old ones off and new ones on quicker than stopping in the mechanics area ?
Yeah, it would take a lot of time to pull the old ones off and put on new ones. There's no way you could do it without stopping and losing a bunch of positions.
OldTiddler
7/28/2010 8:58am
What if you mounted the other set on the back of the same strap somehow, and you could just rotate the new set around to the front if the 1st failed? I'm sure quicker than dealing with stopping at mechanics...
500guy
7/28/2010 9:01am
OldTiddler wrote:
What if you mounted the other set on the back of the same strap somehow, and you could just rotate the new set around to the...
What if you mounted the other set on the back of the same strap somehow, and you could just rotate the new set around to the front if the 1st failed? I'm sure quicker than dealing with stopping at mechanics...
my biggest concern would be getting them replaced and not having a bunch of junk bouncing around inside them.

I do think this is a problem that could and should be solved.

The Shop

peelout719
7/28/2010 9:08am
how about the mfr's pull their heads out and start making the goggles for function rather than fashion?

my .02
Hut
7/28/2010 9:12am
I had an idea for a flip down shield. Something that would connect to the bottom of the visor and be able to flip down for emergency back up only.
Cygnus
7/28/2010 9:17am
I have worn a hoodie with the full front pocket at a few HS with e tra goggles. Worked great.
raddad
7/28/2010 9:25am
Hut wrote:
I had an idea for a flip down shield. Something that would connect to the bottom of the visor and be able to flip down for...
I had an idea for a flip down shield. Something that would connect to the bottom of the visor and be able to flip down for emergency back up only.
My Oneal helmet has a clear plastic extension that is attached to the visor and will pull out if needed in mud etc. But the flip down deal sounds like a real possibility..like street helmets have basically
Torco1
7/28/2010 9:26am
Void Main wrote:
[img]https://nerdnirvana.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/862.jpg[/img] [img]https://www.liketelevision.com/liketelevision/images/lowrez/cokeads4_213.jpg[/img]

Is that Seinfeld in the second pic?
Hut
7/28/2010 9:32am
raddad wrote:
My Oneal helmet has a clear plastic extension that is attached to the visor and will pull out if needed in mud etc. But the flip...
My Oneal helmet has a clear plastic extension that is attached to the visor and will pull out if needed in mud etc. But the flip down deal sounds like a real possibility..like street helmets have basically
Yes that's exactly my thought with a tear off or two on both sides to get started.
yosmithy
7/28/2010 9:59am
I too have fought with the goggle problem for many years, and after numerous brain storms, this is what I have developed for a solution.

On a standard set of goggles (I chose Smith, cause, it just seemed cool) I mounted a small Perch off to the side. Then I have a specially trained Dung Beetle that rides on this Perch. Now, when any organic material lands on my goggles (Smith) the Highly trained professional Dung Beetle swiftly gallops out onto the goggles (Smith) where upon he rolls the organic material into a ball, and then drops the ball of organic material into a small plastic bucket (could become Carbon Fiber in later models) that is conveniently hanging off the chin bar of my helmet. To make the most of this idea, it would be helpful if all track owners replace all dirt with horse shit.

I’m also looking for investors.
adamdf
7/28/2010 10:13am
yosmithy wrote:
I too have fought with the goggle problem for many years, and after numerous brain storms, this is what I have developed for a solution. On...
I too have fought with the goggle problem for many years, and after numerous brain storms, this is what I have developed for a solution.

On a standard set of goggles (I chose Smith, cause, it just seemed cool) I mounted a small Perch off to the side. Then I have a specially trained Dung Beetle that rides on this Perch. Now, when any organic material lands on my goggles (Smith) the Highly trained professional Dung Beetle swiftly gallops out onto the goggles (Smith) where upon he rolls the organic material into a ball, and then drops the ball of organic material into a small plastic bucket (could become Carbon Fiber in later models) that is conveniently hanging off the chin bar of my helmet. To make the most of this idea, it would be helpful if all track owners replace all dirt with horse shit.

WOW guy, wow......
Hut
7/28/2010 10:19am
yosmithy wrote:
I too have fought with the goggle problem for many years, and after numerous brain storms, this is what I have developed for a solution. On...

Not knocking your idea but a highly trained Dung Beetle might be construed as outside assistance.
Bucky Wheat
7/28/2010 10:25am
I think we need to skip goggles entirely and start trying to a develop bionic replacement face shield.
Six Million Dollar Man Pictures, Images and Photos
(matching chest protector sold seprately)
plowboy
7/28/2010 10:25am
I would be careful smithy...if the govt were to monitor this stuff you could find yerself kidnapped and put in charge of some sort of captive secret think tank. You'd end up just some big brain thingy with all kinds of electrodes and wires sticking out. They'd probably fund the whole project off the sale of yer art. Be careful dude...
agency399
7/28/2010 1:14pm
What if they found a way to cut thin pieces of clear plastic in the same shape that the goggle lens is? You could stack a few of them on there and just pull them off one by one as they became dirty????

Or maybe have a like a canister that looks like film on one side, but it would have a long clear stripe that went across your goggles inside the canister and as it became dirty you can could just pull on a string and it would fill the empty film looking canister on the other side...............BAM CLEAR VISION!
WhKnuckle
7/28/2010 1:56pm
yosmithy wrote:

Hut wrote:
Not knocking your idea but a highly trained Dung Beetle might be construed as outside assistance.
I've known mechanics who were less competent that a trained dung beetle.
Bucky Wheat
7/28/2010 1:57pm
agency399 wrote:
What if they found a way to cut thin pieces of clear plastic in the same shape that the goggle lens is? You could stack a...
What if they found a way to cut thin pieces of clear plastic in the same shape that the goggle lens is? You could stack a few of them on there and just pull them off one by one as they became dirty????

Or maybe have a like a canister that looks like film on one side, but it would have a long clear stripe that went across your goggles inside the canister and as it became dirty you can could just pull on a string and it would fill the empty film looking canister on the other side...............BAM CLEAR VISION!
YOU MUST PATENT THESE IDEAS NOW !
peelout719
7/28/2010 2:01pm
agency399 wrote:
What if they found a way to cut thin pieces of clear plastic in the same shape that the goggle lens is? You could stack a...

i don't understand this...

maybe before a race you could give us a play-by-play of how this would benefit the rider?
cdm806
Fantasy
1404th
7/28/2010 2:19pm
OldTiddler wrote:
Just thinking out loud here: How would you keep them clean and dry? Put a plastic bag over them?

So, instead of:

Pulling into the mechanics area and throwing your old goggles as you slow down (or before you even get there), come to a stop with the bike in gear, clutch pulled in while your mechanic puts brand new, dry, clean goggles on you, then dumping the clutch and getting back in the race,

You want to: Throw your dirty goggles, come to a stop, find neutral, take new goggles off your neck (no easy task with your helmet on), take them out of a plastic bag (if they're not in one, they're gonna get all shitty and that would defeat the purpose of the switch), put them on yourself, put the bike back in gear and take off.

Seems to me, the first one is much easier and faster.

Post a reply to: Is it against the rules to race with an extra set of goggles?

The Latest