Is MXDN becoming a thing of the past?

dkg
Reading the postings and comments through many of the threads related to the MXDN, it seems that the MXDN is fading into the past. For decades I have always been a fan of this event, so, I sure hope I am wrong here. Most recently Eli Tomac and Team Green have taken their name out of contention as potential competitors, prior to that, Ken Roczen seemed less than excited to participate. I am not focusing on these two riders, just, using them as examples. There has been an overall flavor in many of the threads that makes it seem that riders and teams are finding the MXDN to be a bother or interference with business as usual. I find this surprising in an Olympic year where historically the desire to represent your country seems to gain importance. Perhaps I am reading things wrong, but is the MXDN on its way out?
|
philG
8/11/2016 10:38am
Its as much a thing of the past as A1... the only people who can even think this have never been.

Its the pinnacle of the sport.
moscrop940
8/11/2016 10:43am
I don't believe it is on the way out, but the prestige behind being invited seems to have gone away.

Personally, I don't buy the whole "too many races" excuse. While these guys do have an insane schedule, back in the day guys raced whenever the could, and would sell there own grandmother to be apart of the MXON team...

I just think this sport is becoming more about business than passion....You have the exceptions, such as Cooper Webb who raced every off season race he could get his hands on, but for the most part, if these guys are seeing a good paycheck behind it, they aren't doing it....Which I totally get, its just sad that passion for riding a dirt bike at the professional level seems to be fading.

Just my thoughts...

mxadam579
8/11/2016 10:47am
It should be every OTHER year or every 4 years like rhe olympics.
8/11/2016 11:01am
I feel like the SMX Rider's and Manufacturer's Cup is going to be bigger and probably a better competition in years to come. It seems like the more logical thing for the manufacturers to get behind and really push their best riders to compete in.

I think MXoN is great, but the motivation to compete in it for sponsors and riders is really waning.

The Shop

kkawboy14
8/11/2016 11:14am Edited Date/Time 8/11/2016 11:15am
It was a big event when there was a lot less racing

The C class from Lorettas could probably win it Smile
YZ324
8/11/2016 11:20am
mxadam579 wrote:
It should be every OTHER year or every 4 years like rhe olympics.
I can agree with this.
The Rock
8/11/2016 11:24am Edited Date/Time 8/11/2016 11:26am
Would the OP started this thread if the US hadn't lost the last four years in a row?

Now that I am dwelling on it I'm chapped Tomac bailed. He is one of our three best IMO

To the OP my response is how can you even question the validity of the MXoN?

Smh
neysbo
8/11/2016 11:29am
I have been around motocross 35 plus years and even attended they 87 des nations at Unadilla.

Yes , it has certainly lost the luster over the last 5 years. Hard to say exactly why but it is a huge expense with little reward for the riders. The riders seem to have so many more sponsor obligations that the des nations keeps dropping on the priority list.
Robgvx
8/11/2016 11:39am
neysbo wrote:
I have been around motocross 35 plus years and even attended they 87 des nations at Unadilla. Yes , it has certainly lost the luster over...
I have been around motocross 35 plus years and even attended they 87 des nations at Unadilla.

Yes , it has certainly lost the luster over the last 5 years. Hard to say exactly why but it is a huge expense with little reward for the riders. The riders seem to have so many more sponsor obligations that the des nations keeps dropping on the priority list.
Lost it's lustre? Hard to say why? Maybe because the US isn't winning any more?
scott_nz
Fantasy
840th
8/11/2016 11:46am
it may not mean alot to US fans at the moment because of the losing streak,

but we have been here before, in the early 90's a lot of the top riders like Bradshaw and Stanton did not want to go to Australia, but they still managed to send a team and win it,

in the early 00's after 9/11 and some other losses no one wanted to go and the US did not send a team, then they got beaten and RC got on board to bring the team back in 05 to win,

it will take someone like Tomac or Dungey to step and and want to lead the team to victory,
ATKpilot99
8/11/2016 11:48am
neysbo wrote:
I have been around motocross 35 plus years and even attended they 87 des nations at Unadilla. Yes , it has certainly lost the luster over...

Robgvx wrote:
Lost it's lustre? Hard to say why? Maybe because the US isn't winning any more?
Yeah it really does sound like sour grapes to me.
8/11/2016 11:51am
MXDN is the only race I don't want to miss watching. It's the only race where many things can happen and where the top 3 is always unpredictable.

Supercross becomes a snooze fest after 5 rounds.

MXGP races looses its touch after a couple races with so many races on the schedule, the only thing that keeps it kinda interesting is the diversity of tracks.

The 12 rounds length of the nationals is just perfect, however, it's a pita to watch as a non-us citizen.
RG1
8/11/2016 11:59am
You only have to take a look at the crowd at Ernee last year to see how relevant the MXdN still is, especially to everyone in Europe. Sadly it does seem as though it has lowered in importance in the USA. In Europe it remains the biggest race of the year
8/11/2016 12:00pm
It's still the single most important race of the year, and it sucks that some of America's best are choosing not to race it. The too many races excuse is bullshit, having to race the USGP's as an excuse is bullshit as well. They're racers, and highly paid racers at that. Not representing your country if asked, or asking to not be considered, unless there is a very valid reason, is bullshit. We need more Cooper Webb's and less guys afraid of being beat at the world stage.

As for some of the posters in this thread stating the event is less important than 5 years ago...totally not true. Just because Kenny doesn't want to go, or Eli, or Dungey, that's on them, not on the prestige or importance of the event.
8/11/2016 12:05pm Edited Date/Time 8/11/2016 12:07pm
kkawboy14 wrote:
It was a big event when there was a lot less racing

The C class from Lorettas could probably win it Smile
It is more competitive than ever. Forget Lorettas, I think most all AMA pros would get their asses kicked there.

As with everyone, I would like to see more top American talent this year, but I also realize that financial priorities for both riders and teams have shifted elsewhere. That's the reality here, and money talks.
St Ann More
8/11/2016 12:07pm Edited Date/Time 8/11/2016 12:09pm
The fans who go wouldn't say it's lost any luster... listen to this lot last year by the podium! Insane!

8/11/2016 12:15pm Edited Date/Time 8/11/2016 12:16pm
It's still the single most important race of the year, and it sucks that some of America's best are choosing not to race it. The too...
It's still the single most important race of the year, and it sucks that some of America's best are choosing not to race it. The too many races excuse is bullshit, having to race the USGP's as an excuse is bullshit as well. They're racers, and highly paid racers at that. Not representing your country if asked, or asking to not be considered, unless there is a very valid reason, is bullshit. We need more Cooper Webb's and less guys afraid of being beat at the world stage.

As for some of the posters in this thread stating the event is less important than 5 years ago...totally not true. Just because Kenny doesn't want to go, or Eli, or Dungey, that's on them, not on the prestige or importance of the event.
MXDN should be a higher priority financially, professionally, and in glory than Energy Drink Race®. It is apparently is not, or at least not enough to entice the top guys who get to choose from the aforementioned three qualifications.
yak651
Fantasy
192nd
8/11/2016 12:15pm
At the beginning of the year each rider should say yes/no if they are open to the idea of being on the team. Yes injuries come up and may change things but this way it's out in the open they are for going to the event or not. Probably also give a little more fan support to those that chose Yes...
yak651
Fantasy
192nd
8/11/2016 12:16pm
philG wrote:
Its as much a thing of the past as A1... the only people who can even think this have never been. Its the pinnacle of the...
Its as much a thing of the past as A1... the only people who can even think this have never been.

It's a cool event but "pinnacle" is going a little far...
500guy
8/11/2016 12:16pm
Why is it that the Fans, Teams & Riders all need to do it for "The Love of the Sport" yet Youthstream gets to go to the bank on it, rain or shine?

imagine the hot dog vendor or Beer tent guy being told you can bring beer and hot dogs work your ass off but you have to sell it at a loss.

Not to mention the USA series is over weeks before the race , riders are worn out and switching teams and not real interested in some made up event exploiting National Pride.

it will take another Ricky Carmichael to embrace this event and lobby for it among his peers

of course RC didn't have much choice since Kandel Wonder Wart Hog threatened him with a Voo-doo Doll and curse.
Sidecar
8/11/2016 12:19pm
I don't think you should be able to comment in this thread unless you have been to a motocross race with top side of 85,000 people, 70,000 of them camping at the circuit, the noise, music, fireworks, car/pit bike/super bike and chainsaw engines running from mid day Friday until the early hours of Monday morning, the flags, the colour, the smoke bombs, the passion, the pride, the cheering...... YES..... YES IT MATTERS.....
Jimmy_Sloan
8/11/2016 12:22pm
neysbo wrote:

The riders are not as interested because they are losing.
8/11/2016 12:25pm Edited Date/Time 8/11/2016 4:36pm
Sidecar wrote:
I don't think you should be able to comment in this thread unless you have been to a motocross race with top side of 85,000 people...
I don't think you should be able to comment in this thread unless you have been to a motocross race with top side of 85,000 people, 70,000 of them camping at the circuit, the noise, music, fireworks, car/pit bike/super bike and chainsaw engines running from mid day Friday until the early hours of Monday morning, the flags, the colour, the smoke bombs, the passion, the pride, the cheering...... YES..... YES IT MATTERS.....
I hate to say it in this context, because I am in complete agreement with you conceptually, but some really terrible U.S. Supercross races pulled 50,000+ or whatever attendance numbers more than a decade ago, sometimes with huge sponsorship and painful ticket prices. And teams could DRIVE to them, for lots of races, within an hour or so or so from their regional headquarters. And as a sport, financially we are where we are.

There's a different financial ballgame being played than 35 years ago, and it probably sucks for most of us MX fans. If you want further clue-in with regard to U.S. motorsports, take a look at the financial differences for NASCAR and more globally-oriented competition over the last couple decades.

TV contracts now, and going forward rule the day. What do MXDN TV numbers look like (and by that I mean $ contract value, not ratings), even comparative to, say, a single lowly AMA SX or even some shitty Energy Drink® Race?
RCB33
Fantasy
139th
8/11/2016 12:28pm
Before we talk about the prestige of it...would it be more prestigious to you if the US was winning?
IWreckALot
8/11/2016 12:39pm
I'd love to go to the MXDN, but it seems like too many Vitards on both sides of the fence make that race the staple of "who's better" which makes the race into more of a dick measuring contest than anything else.

The other thing that makes this race particularly ambiguous is the TV package. I don't recall seeing it on TV here except for once. And I rarely watch events live due to scheduling conflicts and commercials. I'm sure I'm not the only one.
line-up
8/11/2016 12:44pm
IWreckALot wrote:
I'd love to go to the MXDN, but it seems like too many Vitards on both sides of the fence make that race the staple of...
I'd love to go to the MXDN, but it seems like too many Vitards on both sides of the fence make that race the staple of "who's better" which makes the race into more of a dick measuring contest than anything else.

The other thing that makes this race particularly ambiguous is the TV package. I don't recall seeing it on TV here except for once. And I rarely watch events live due to scheduling conflicts and commercials. I'm sure I'm not the only one.
In the US the MXoN is showed by CBS SN every year with same day coverage of all three motos.
mx_phreek
Fantasy
210th
8/11/2016 12:45pm
I don't think its lost its prestige as a event. Every other nation views it as the biggest event of the year. Go to one and see if you think its not true. I think it is more along the lines of its easy to accept to go when it was pretty much a certainty you would win the event.
But now after a bunch of losses they're thinking twice about going and being labeled as members of a losing team. And thats daft. Its only one more weekend for your country. I find it strange for a nation as patriotic as you guys are your riders keep turning down the opportunity to represent you.
8/11/2016 12:50pm
philG wrote:
Its as much a thing of the past as A1... the only people who can even think this have never been. Its the pinnacle of the...

yak651 wrote:
It's a cool event but "pinnacle" is going a little far...
If it isn't then what is? I'd genuinely be interested to know.

I'd bet a cotton chomping dollar that there are more threads & posts on this forum dedicated to MXoN than any other event by long way. It's the only event on the calendar where everybody who knows anything about MX gets behind their nation's riders and that's why it's so special and way more than just a cool event.

Post a reply to: Is MXDN becoming a thing of the past?

The Latest