Is 30 minutes + 2 laps too long?

ga_pike
Edited Date/Time 7/15/2012 9:09pm
With the gaps that Dungey has been winning by, I wonder would it be better to have 3, 15 or 20 minute motos instead of 2 30 minute motos? Might make the racing a little ore interesting and would eliminate some of the lapper issues they have later in the race when you hit guys who are also battling.

Just a thought.
|
7/14/2012 12:12pm
No.

I think the lappers make it interesting, we'd still have the same results, and it'd water down the sport further. Bring back 45 minutes!
CR500Rider
7/14/2012 12:16pm
30 minutes plus 2 laps is 10 minutes short of where it should be.
chump6784
7/14/2012 12:49pm
I am going to go against the grain and say 3 x 15 or 20 would be better. make it a full sprint, the results may be the same but it will be closer and i hate seeing lappers ruin a good battle
moto329
7/14/2012 12:53pm
Terrible idea. The length is what makes MX so great. It allows for come from behind charges like we just saw from Baggett.

The Shop

7/14/2012 1:16pm Edited Date/Time 7/14/2012 1:17pm
How short are your memories? You guys do remember that there are 4 legitimate contenders who are injured, right? With them healthy it is entirely feasible that Dungey wouldn't have a moto win at this point in the season.
JayCarpent
7/14/2012 1:45pm
TripleFive wrote:
How short are your memories? You guys do remember that there are 4 legitimate contenders who are injured, right? With them healthy it is entirely feasible...
How short are your memories? You guys do remember that there are 4 legitimate contenders who are injured, right? With them healthy it is entirely feasible that Dungey wouldn't have a moto win at this point in the season.
Umm... How short is your memory? He was winning last year against RV and CR... Would have won the title if not for the fuel issue.
PaleBlue
7/14/2012 1:58pm
While I know all of the 'purists' will say that 35-40 + 2 laps is a true test of strength and skill, for the casual watchers it's way too long. Why is supercross so much more popular with the media? It's not the jumps, it's because people don't get bored. If we want Motocross to survive as a TV sport it needs to be MUCH shorter. If you don't believe me watch somebody who's into racing but not MX, thier eyes just glaze over after ten min's or so, as the riders string out. Anyway how often does the lead change without someone falling off?
7/14/2012 2:05pm
JayCarpent wrote:
Umm... How short is your memory? He was winning last year against RV and CR... Would have won the title if not for the fuel issue.
Well I'm pretty sure he was defeated until the photog took James out of contention...
7/14/2012 2:05pm Edited Date/Time 7/14/2012 2:06pm
PaleBlue wrote:
While I know all of the 'purists' will say that 35-40 + 2 laps is a true test of strength and skill, for the casual watchers...
While I know all of the 'purists' will say that 35-40 + 2 laps is a true test of strength and skill, for the casual watchers it's way too long. Why is supercross so much more popular with the media? It's not the jumps, it's because people don't get bored. If we want Motocross to survive as a TV sport it needs to be MUCH shorter. If you don't believe me watch somebody who's into racing but not MX, thier eyes just glaze over after ten min's or so, as the riders string out. Anyway how often does the lead change without someone falling off?
That may be true, idk. But how much (if anything) of the sport should we be willing to give up? At its heart it is what it is, and should remain imo.
braaap
Fantasy
2172nd
7/14/2012 2:31pm
PaleBlue wrote:
While I know all of the 'purists' will say that 35-40 + 2 laps is a true test of strength and skill, for the casual watchers...
I can see your point but how in the hell can you explain NASCAR? Long, boring, left turn only and it's the #1 spectator sport in the U.S.
loftyair
7/14/2012 3:10pm
Mx is about being fast, and tough! Needs to be longer if anything. Sprints are boring. Don't want to put even more emphasis on starts.
426Hemi
Fantasy
2747th
7/14/2012 3:45pm
PaleBlue wrote:
Different challenges. SX runs mostly during the winter at night when viewers are home. MX is run during summer in the middle of the day when most are outdoors or on vacation. Much easier to get a time slot on a Saturday night on channels like Speed in the winter with little to no other racing to be seen.
bents
Fantasy
710th
7/14/2012 4:25pm
Come on get real. 30+2 was the result of tv, from 40 min correct? This is as short as it should ever be. The 1st 250 moto was wide open start to finish-what more do you want man? Fucking great moto! Dungey was an animal in the 1st moto,great race too. Far from boring.
Katoom72
7/14/2012 4:44pm
They already shortened it down for gods sake....We don't want sprintraces... We want long, brutal, mean, 'this wil fuck you up badly' kind of racing that put's only the true athletes on the box.

Cycling lasts for damn hours, soccer for 2x45 and they are still VERY popular sports PLUS there is nothing interesting for a big part of the event. We don't want our sport screwed up just for marketing and guys in suits drinking champagne and eating caviar while they sit by there wives dressed in expensive dresses who they only could marry just because they got loads of cash. *tries to breathe*
wreckitrandy
7/14/2012 4:49pm
JayCarpent wrote:
TripleFive wrote:
Well I'm pretty sure he was defeated until the photog took James out of contention...
sniff sniff,,,,,umph,,, sniff,,,,,,,,,WHaaaaaH! I wonder if the whoop monster is the real reason James didn't race this week. That guy was kind of distracting ya know.
plowboy
7/14/2012 4:53pm
As an old...I mean real old purist...45 + 2 is where it's supposed to be. I know it's really hard on riders and bikes but that was kinda the point of the whole concept. JMHO.
7/14/2012 5:36pm
This isn't Supercross damn it. Motocross should be about fitness and endurance just as much as it is about speed and talent. IMO they need to be at least 35+2 if not 40+2. The best man will win. Sorry but I don't think shortening motos so Alessi can be 8 seconds closer is a good reason.
rpoint116
7/14/2012 5:39pm
chump6784 wrote:
I am going to go against the grain and say 3 x 15 or 20 would be better. make it a full sprint, the results may...
I am going to go against the grain and say 3 x 15 or 20 would be better. make it a full sprint, the results may be the same but it will be closer and i hate seeing lappers ruin a good battle
agreed.

3 X 20 min + 2
chump6784
7/14/2012 6:01pm
PaleBlue wrote:
braaap wrote:
I can see your point but how in the hell can you explain NASCAR? Long, boring, left turn only and it's the #1 spectator sport in...
I can see your point but how in the hell can you explain NASCAR? Long, boring, left turn only and it's the #1 spectator sport in the U.S.
From what i have seen of NASCAR (which isn't much) it is usually always close for positions. The 250 class this year has been good but a lot of the time by the 10 minute mark people are starting to spread out and there isn't much racing going on except for the minor positions.

That is what I have found anyway when watching the live races at 3am, it does get hard to stay awake some races
7/14/2012 6:03pm
chump6784 wrote:
I am going to go against the grain and say 3 x 15 or 20 would be better. make it a full sprint, the results may...
rpoint116 wrote:
agreed.

3 X 20 min + 2
And how do you plan for the networks to cover three motos in each class?
machine
7/14/2012 6:07pm
Dumbest thread ever.
That's a pretty serious statement sir, there's been some bad ones over the years, especially the RD fanboy threads...Smile
jmar
7/14/2012 7:11pm
Both the supercross, and the outdoor series need to be shorten. Not counting the off season races, the testing, training or having some time to recoup from injury. Just on the two series, these guy's are racing 30 out of 52 weeks.

Way to many injuries, and in my personal opinion, that's do the fatigue and injury these guy's race with.
chrisbuehler
7/14/2012 8:22pm
machine wrote:
That's a pretty serious statement sir, there's been some bad ones over the years, especially the RD fanboy threads...Smile
I forgot RV is the only one with level headed fans who never get emotional.
Prairieboy43
7/14/2012 8:33pm
I agree bring back 2- 45 minute moto's. Motocross is and Endurance sport, not a sprint. Does not get interesting until 35 minute mark. Then who is in shape will make his mark. Larrocco would have won more championships. Hannah was doomed after they shortened to 30 minutes. End of Career. Decoster and Mikkola, I salute you.TongueTongueTongue
jmar
7/14/2012 9:41pm
Watching a 40 guy's trying to pace themselves is boring.

Nostalgia is over rated.
AS64
Fantasy
2156th
7/14/2012 9:58pm
No. It's long enough that you have to train for it. And it's short enough for everything to hold together (You and the Bike).

Post a reply to: Is 30 minutes + 2 laps too long?

The Latest