Interview with owner of WW Motocross - USGP

DanDunes818
7/21/2017 10:40am
I've never met Wayne Scarborough Jr but he sure seems like a guy I would wanyt hosting a major event in the US. Check out interview with Wayne here >>>
|
MelonFan123
7/21/2017 10:48am
nice hyperlink, you fooled me into the MXLarge click...

i'm sure someone will cut/paste the interview here and avoid giving them the traffic lol
7/21/2017 10:52am
nice hyperlink, you fooled me into the MXLarge click...

i'm sure someone will cut/paste the interview here and avoid giving them the traffic lol
I hovered over the link, saw the URL, and didn't click for that exact reason
7/21/2017 11:22am
I read it because it's so close to home and I know Junior. Great interview, and his heart came out in it.
Squirtlege
7/21/2017 11:33am
Thanks for posting that OP!

The Shop

SEE ARE125
7/21/2017 11:34am
I read it because it's so close to home and I know Junior. Great interview, and his heart came out in it.
You couldn't copy/paste for the rest of us? Laughing
PastranaWho
7/21/2017 11:42am
Copy and paste anyone???
motomike137
7/21/2017 11:45am
You jokers should bite the bullet and read it. Sounds like it is going to be awesome and probably better than it ever would have been at Gatorback.
kzizok
Fantasy
1859th
7/21/2017 12:04pm Edited Date/Time 7/21/2017 12:06pm
Wayne Scarborough Jr is motocross through and through. A very friendly guy, who just wants to see something special at this year’s USGP.

Last Thursday, Wayne Jr got a call that could change his life forever. A passionate American farmer, who runs the WW Ranch Motocross facility, Scarborough couldn’t believe his luck when he was asked if his track could be used for this years United States Grand Prix.

While the event was originally going to be run at the Gaterback circuit in Florida, a dispute between Unlimited Sports, and the Gaterback track owner made sure that the USGP needed a new home.

Known as one of the nicest facilities in America, WW Ranch was quickly put on the MXGP calendar, and with two months before the event, it seems it couldn’t have landed in better hands.

We were lucky enough to catch up with Wayne Scarborough Jr, and you get the feeling its more than just his heart and soul that is going to go into this event.

MX: How did it feel when you got the call about your facility?

Wayne Scarborough Jr: It’s unbelievable. I have gotten emotional, I have been elated and I am blown away. The fastest in Europe and some of the fastest in America will be here. I am a motocross guy been riding since I was three years old and am now 51. To have the fastest riders in Europe come and race at my track, it’s a dream come true.

MX: From what I understand, you are renting the track out to the guys who were going to run Gaterback, the Unlimited Sports people?

Wayne Scarborough Jr: Yes, it’s not my race, Unlimited Sports (Gaterback promoters) have leased my track for the event. That doesn’t bother me one bit, I am proud that MXsports and Unlimited Sports, Youthstream and everyone else have the trust that they can run an event of his magnitude at our track. I am more than pleased to help them out.

MX: Sounds like a good deal, being able to have such an event at your facility, but no financial pressure at running the event.

Wayne Scarborough Jr: Well, yes, but if you know me. This track is on our family farm, and we run a pretty tight ship here. We try and keep it pretty and it’s in our front yard. I will put 200% effort into making this event as good as it can be and I will go over and above. If they need me to buy something for the track, I will buy it. This place is going to be a showcase when you get here. I will make you smile when you walk through the gate, I want you to say WOW when you see it.

MX: Looking at the videos, I got that feeling already. I think Gaterback is a great facility, but your place really looks special. How’s the weather going to be?

Wayne Scarborough Jr: It’s going to be 100-degree hot, and it’s going to be humid. We have some thunderstorms that time of year, but the track handles water pretty good. I designed it to handle water, but it’s going to be hot, you can bet on that.

MX: How was the response from MXsports and Unlimited Sports when they saw your facility?

Wayne Scarborough Jr: Well, actually, other than having contact with MXsports due to having some Loretta Lynn area qualifiers, I don’t deal with them a whole lot, but I got a call last Thursday, asking if they could come, and they came and had a look. They had told me they had looked at my place from google earth, but then they got here, they were impressed. They were really pleased.

MX: Looking at the videos of the track, it already looks like an AMA National track. Really well prepared and it just looks like a picture, so well taken care of. Do you need to make many changes for the race?

Wayne Scarborough Jr: I am told there will be some changes, due to the FIM rules, and they will let me know and I will do what it takes to make them happy and put this race on. I don’t know yet what changes, but whatever they want, I will do.

MX: Are you a motocross fan? Had you planned on going to Gaterback?

Wayne Scarborough Jr: Yes, I am, and yes, I was going. I am a team player. My son rides, and he helps me at my track. He is track manager at my races. I have three track managers. We support Florida motocross and how often can you drive an hour to see the best riders in the world. The chance to do that, I was going to see Tony Cairoli, Romian Febvre and Gautier Paulin. Yes, we were going to Gaterback. I hope I am allowed on the track, I would love to be up close watching. I am excited to see the best in the world race on our track.

MX: I noticed on the press release from MXsport and Youthstream, that you were close to Jacksonville. Where exactly is the track?

Wayne Scarborough Jr: It’s like 12 miles from downtown Jacksonville. We have hotels, restaurants, everything really close to the track, it’s the perfect place to have a big event like this. The biggest freeways are close to us, and it’s going to be a pretty impressive event.

MX: How long is your contact to rent the track out?

Wayne Scarborough Jr: At the moment I have no idea, I hope we do a great job and everyone is happy from the spectators, Youthstream MXsports and Unlimited sports. I just want everyone to enjoy themselves and feel they saw something special.

norcal3737
7/21/2017 12:05pm
Fan of MXL or not, it was worth the read. You can tell he really wants the best for the event and willing to do whatever's necessary to make it happen.

Click the link, sheesh.
TMV
7/21/2017 12:06pm
Wow sounds super enthusiast and motivated. A true fan of the sport. Hope it turns out well, people show up and we'll see great battles.
7/21/2017 12:40pm
TMV wrote:
Wow sounds super enthusiast and motivated. A true fan of the sport. Hope it turns out well, people show up and we'll see great battles.
I assure you it will be crowded. I assure you I will be there with my family and friends and we will be having a groovy time!
aeffertz
7/21/2017 1:24pm
I hope people attend and therr are good places to see the racing! There doesn't seem to be many spectating places around the track or in the infield but I'm sure the owner will bust his ass to make it work. The track itself looks really great and the surrounding area is really cool and unique.

I'll definitely be watching it from home!
Gukamonster
7/21/2017 3:44pm
MX: How long is your contact to rent the track out?

Wayne Scarborough Jr: At the moment I have no idea...

... Fool me once...

Hopefully it covers the day of the race event!
7/21/2017 3:50pm Edited Date/Time 7/21/2017 3:52pm
aeffertz wrote:
I hope people attend and therr are good places to see the racing! There doesn't seem to be many spectating places around the track or in...
I hope people attend and therr are good places to see the racing! There doesn't seem to be many spectating places around the track or in the infield but I'm sure the owner will bust his ass to make it work. The track itself looks really great and the surrounding area is really cool and unique.

I'll definitely be watching it from home!
You are correct about Junior and family busting ass. I just heard from an inside source - to remain anonymous - that inside the track spectating is GOING TO HAPPEN. How that is done, whether by tunnel or bridge, it is being planned. I don't expect anyone but my closest Vital bros to believe me, but my "inside source" is as close to the knowledge as one can get.

I suggest all Florida/Georgia moto fans get tickets. This is going to be epic.
motomad724
Fantasy
947th
7/21/2017 3:56pm
I'm a punk rookie here on Vital, but as a reasonably aged old dog who watched Roger D (and other legends) at Mid-Ohio back in the day am pumped I'll be there.
Charper732
7/21/2017 4:00pm
You are correct about Junior and family busting ass. I just heard from an inside source - to remain anonymous - that inside the track spectating...
You are correct about Junior and family busting ass. I just heard from an inside source - to remain anonymous - that inside the track spectating is GOING TO HAPPEN. How that is done, whether by tunnel or bridge, it is being planned. I don't expect anyone but my closest Vital bros to believe me, but my "inside source" is as close to the knowledge as one can get.

I suggest all Florida/Georgia moto fans get tickets. This is going to be epic.
There would have to be a pretty major track layout change for that to happen. There isn't really that much room on the inside for the amount of people that will be attending this race, but I agree and im sure it will happen. Jr isn't afraid of spending money, that's for sure! Dude is super cool.

Here's a video I made the first time I went

https://youtu.be/rDMhLRWRhPs
DC
7/21/2017 4:01pm Edited Date/Time 7/21/2017 4:02pm
Harry Backmon wrote: I just heard from an inside source - to remain anonymous - that inside the track spectating is GOING TO HAPPEN. How that is done, whether by tunnel or bridge, it is being planned. I don't expect anyone but my closest Vital bros to believe me, but my "inside source" is as close to the knowledge as one can get.

That sounds like quite a source... Did he mention two tunnels? ;-)

DC
Racer X
7/21/2017 4:07pm
Charper732 wrote:
There would have to be a pretty major track layout change for that to happen. There isn't really that much room on the inside for the...
There would have to be a pretty major track layout change for that to happen. There isn't really that much room on the inside for the amount of people that will be attending this race, but I agree and im sure it will happen. Jr isn't afraid of spending money, that's for sure! Dude is super cool.

Here's a video I made the first time I went

https://youtu.be/rDMhLRWRhPs
Broseph, that was a great vid. I usually don't care for vids with music, but I guess I'm in a good mood. Well done.
7/21/2017 4:11pm
DC wrote:
Harry Backmon wrote: I just heard from an inside source - to remain anonymous - that inside the track spectating is GOING TO HAPPEN. How that...
Harry Backmon wrote: I just heard from an inside source - to remain anonymous - that inside the track spectating is GOING TO HAPPEN. How that is done, whether by tunnel or bridge, it is being planned. I don't expect anyone but my closest Vital bros to believe me, but my "inside source" is as close to the knowledge as one can get.

That sounds like quite a source... Did he mention two tunnels? ;-)

DC
Racer X
Hi DC. No, how it will be done was not mentioned, only that it is being planned. I disagree with the guy above that said infield spectating will be limited. That track has a massive infield and could provide a lot of room for that sort of spectating. It would not surprise me to see Junior put up fences on the infield (similar to those on the track's perimeter) to provide not just a great viewing experience, but a safe one.

Did you make it the other day? If so, you forgot to stop in for some gator tail. Smile
TeamGreen
7/21/2017 4:16pm
Hotel Booked
Working on plane tickets
TeamGreen
7/21/2017 4:21pm
TeamGreen wrote:
Hotel Booked
Working on plane tickets
Really? Hotel? I got room for you. Free.
Nice!

I'll still need room(s) for riders. The hotel you recommended, too!
7/21/2017 4:23pm
TeamGreen wrote:
Hotel Booked
Working on plane tickets
Really? Hotel? I got room for you. Free.
TeamGreen wrote:
Nice!

I'll still need room(s) for riders. The hotel you recommended, too!
Your own private room and bath, or luxurious camper out back. Your choice.
7/21/2017 4:57pm
I guess it's time to book a flight. His enthusiasm and passion makes me want to make the trip.
ti473
7/22/2017 1:26am
Gaterback? Like gaterback and giterdun?
Robgvx
7/22/2017 1:35am
ti473 wrote:
Gaterback? Like gaterback and giterdun?
Not as bad as 'Jim Gibbs Racing'...

Jay Cee
7/22/2017 2:11am
More attitudes like this in Moto please.
Sideways
7/22/2017 3:25am Edited Date/Time 7/22/2017 3:30am
A little OT but why do you guys hate mxlarge that much? I know they were "mxgp is better than ama" in the past. But recently he has put out the most intresting interviews with riders and organizers and is not "anti US riders" anymore as far as i can tell.

Everyone wants to read the interviews, because they are intresting, but you wont click the link which is pretty important if mxlarge is going to keep doing them. Double standard if you ask me.
Flip109
7/22/2017 4:00am
Sounds like it is going to be epic. Wish I could go!
DC
7/22/2017 6:19am
Harry, next time I'm down (week after Loretta Lynn's) let's definitely get together for a couple beverages and some bench racing. And I was really impressed with the place, as well as Junior as his family. It's going to be a heck of a race!

DC
Racer X

Post a reply to: Interview with owner of WW Motocross - USGP

The Latest