Interesting tidbit regarding helmet cams during the Nationals...

GuyB
Fantasy
1274th
5/3/2017 11:07am
For the past several years Go Pro has been the exclusive on-board video recording device. Go Pro has elected not to renew its sponsorship agreement, and Garmin is now the exclusive approved camera.
|
GD2
Fantasy
854th
5/3/2017 11:10am
That's... interesting.
Lightning78
5/3/2017 11:12am
Much more of the same if the same "no other competitors cameras can be used" bullshit rule is enforced.
Beeby
5/3/2017 11:14am
I've heard things that Go Pro might not be that healthy financially. Might be old news, but it does surprise me they'd pull out of sponsorship of what must be one of the prime sports for their field.
ACBraap
Fantasy
450th
5/3/2017 11:22am
I'm not surprised that GoPro is looking to reduce cash flows. I am surprised that the nationals would take on another exclusive sponsorship like that after the issue with Reed's team. And how many riders have personal deals with GoPro?

Now, if Garmin gets riders to wear a gps watch with HR too, the speed and HR (and power if cycling with a powermeter) can be overlaid on a map on the video screen.

The Shop

GuyB
Fantasy
1274th
5/3/2017 11:22am
Much more of the same if the same "no other competitors cameras can be used" bullshit rule is enforced.
If you pay for exclusivity, you get exclusivity.
ruskymx
5/3/2017 11:25am
I saw on CNBC the other week that they were doing some "restructuring" and cost cutting so I guess MX got the axe. The company's stock went from in the $90's post IPO to under $10 now in a market that's been hitting record highs
gt80rider
5/3/2017 11:28am
Acidreamer wrote:
Garmin has a camera?
See, spending money on advertising in mx works!
nrosso391
Fantasy
3479th
5/3/2017 11:53am
I agree. There's beginning to be too many politics in this sport. GoPro has been sinking ever since the Hero 5 came out and the Karma Drone Recall. There are so many companies like GoPro now that its time someone like Garmin kicked their ass with intervals and G force/velocity stats along with the video footage. Back to the politics, GoPro wouldn't let Reed run a competitor camera. I can't believe they did that to REED. How does GoPro have pull like that, or AMA/Feld for crying that one of their sponsors isn't being displayed. Pure BS.
IceMan446
5/3/2017 11:58am
GuyB wrote:
The point is, that shouldnt even be an option.

Especially in a sport that has teams who need all the outside money it can get.

Falcon
Fantasy
765th
nrosso391 wrote:
I agree. There's beginning to be too many politics in this sport. GoPro has been sinking ever since the Hero 5 came out and the Karma...
I agree. There's beginning to be too many politics in this sport. GoPro has been sinking ever since the Hero 5 came out and the Karma Drone Recall. There are so many companies like GoPro now that its time someone like Garmin kicked their ass with intervals and G force/velocity stats along with the video footage. Back to the politics, GoPro wouldn't let Reed run a competitor camera. I can't believe they did that to REED. How does GoPro have pull like that, or AMA/Feld for crying that one of their sponsors isn't being displayed. Pure BS.
GoPro had exclusive video rights to the entire Monster Energy SX Series property.
The Exclusive rights mean that no other company may shoot video at a Monster Energy SX race.
Reed's camera sponsor was not GoPro.
Reed was not allowed to film video while on the premises at any Monster Energy SX.

I agree that it is bullshit, but the reasoning is crystal clear.
IceMan446
nrosso391 wrote:
I agree. There's beginning to be too many politics in this sport. GoPro has been sinking ever since the Hero 5 came out and the Karma...
Gopro didn't do that to Reed.

gnar gnar
5/3/2017 12:02pm
nrosso391 wrote:
Whoever has the money has the pull...or in this case had the money.
newmann
5/3/2017 12:18pm
Who exactly gets the Garmin money while the competitors have to find their own ways to get to the races and pay to be part of the show that the spectators pay to see? MX Sports or the networks broadcasting the race?

nrosso391
Fantasy
3479th
5/3/2017 12:23pm
IceMan446 wrote:
Gopro didn't do that to Reed.

I corrected the next sentence. AMA/Feld. or I should say MX SPORTS.
BobbyLight
5/3/2017 12:27pm Edited Date/Time 5/3/2017 12:27pm
ruskymx wrote:
I saw on CNBC the other week that they were doing some "restructuring" and cost cutting so I guess MX got the axe. The company's stock...
I saw on CNBC the other week that they were doing some "restructuring" and cost cutting so I guess MX got the axe. The company's stock went from in the $90's post IPO to under $10 now in a market that's been hitting record highs
This. Gopro is in trouble, they need to find a way to make money. They have reported losses 7 out of the last 8 quarters I believe? In my opinion there is an over-saturation of the market with the action cameras and need to find a way to differentiate. They have the drone thing going but I don't know if it will be enough. Its pretty worrying as tech is through the roof right now.
DFWracefan
5/3/2017 12:29pm Edited Date/Time 5/3/2017 12:30pm
As an AAPL (Apple) investor, and go pro user. I really wish Apple would buy Go Pro. Apple has the cash on hand and Go Pro would fit right in with their products. I also feel Apple has the resources to make the Go Pro product smaller and much better.
5/3/2017 12:33pm
newmann wrote:
Who exactly gets the Garmin money while the competitors have to find their own ways to get to the races and pay to be part of...
Who exactly gets the Garmin money while the competitors have to find their own ways to get to the races and pay to be part of the show that the spectators pay to see? MX Sports or the networks broadcasting the race?

I would guess MX Sports. That's IMO also one of the biggest problems in MX: The promoters steal a lot of potential sponsors from the riders and teams.
nrosso391
Fantasy
3479th
5/3/2017 12:41pm
DFWracefan wrote:
As an AAPL (Apple) investor, and go pro user. I really wish Apple would buy Go Pro. Apple has the cash on hand and Go Pro...
As an AAPL (Apple) investor, and go pro user. I really wish Apple would buy Go Pro. Apple has the cash on hand and Go Pro would fit right in with their products. I also feel Apple has the resources to make the Go Pro product smaller and much better.
GoPro's main problem with their cameras is the battery life is shit. And if Apple bought them the problem would get worse. When's the last time you DIDN'T see an iPhone user looking for a power cord? Make them smaller? Yes. Longer battery life? Hell NO. hahaha
F.B
5/3/2017 12:45pm
The GoPro contract was not with MX Sports but with NBC (to support the production costs of the broadcast) if I remember correctly.

Is it the same deal with Garmin?
zehn
5/3/2017 1:12pm
DFWracefan wrote:
As an AAPL (Apple) investor, and go pro user. I really wish Apple would buy Go Pro. Apple has the cash on hand and Go Pro...
Guarantee that if Apple thought it was a worthwhile investment, they would have done it already. They could be developing their own camera for all we know, but that's unlikely given the market saturation already present with action cams.
5/3/2017 1:44pm
newmann wrote:
Who exactly gets the Garmin money while the competitors have to find their own ways to get to the races and pay to be part of...

Same folks who won't let the riders sell their own promotional products in their pit area?Whistling
mxcolin
Fantasy
4072nd
5/3/2017 2:11pm Edited Date/Time 5/3/2017 2:15pm
GuyB wrote:
What other companies could potentialy sign contracts with MX Sports or NBC to gain exclusivity? Could Renthal or Fox prevent riders from promoting other hard parts or gear? Obviously Monster Energy does not have exclusivity in the SX series, as Red Bull gets mentioned during the broadcast every week.
5/3/2017 2:19pm
GuyB wrote:
mxcolin wrote:
What other companies could potentialy sign contracts with MX Sports or NBC to gain exclusivity? Could Renthal or Fox prevent riders from promoting other hard parts...
What other companies could potentialy sign contracts with MX Sports or NBC to gain exclusivity? Could Renthal or Fox prevent riders from promoting other hard parts or gear? Obviously Monster Energy does not have exclusivity in the SX series, as Red Bull gets mentioned during the broadcast every week.
"Suzuki. The exclusive, and ONLY, dirt bike provider of AMA Motocross"
mxcolin
Fantasy
4072nd
5/3/2017 2:55pm Edited Date/Time 5/3/2017 2:55pm
Maybe I should have gone to law school, but I suppose that wouldn't help unless a person was privy to all contract documents. I know other sports have deals of this sort, such as UFC with Reebok, and the NFL with their shoe deal. I would assume there is a difference, though, since a rider has to pay to enter a motocross race.
RG1
5/3/2017 3:28pm
Acidreamer wrote:
Garmin has a camera?
Yes. A very good one at that
dmoore611
5/3/2017 4:15pm
GoPro is not doing well as a company, and you don't need to be a economics major to see it. It's sad to see a company that threw, what seemed like, boat loads of dough into our sport pulling out.
JM485
5/3/2017 4:31pm
dmoore611 wrote:
GoPro is not doing well as a company, and you don't need to be a economics major to see it. It's sad to see a company...
GoPro is not doing well as a company, and you don't need to be a economics major to see it. It's sad to see a company that threw, what seemed like, boat loads of dough into our sport pulling out.
What I don't understand though is, why? They make a damn good product that as far as I can tell is the best on the market, and the price for their session cameras is very reasonable. I just don't understand how they aren't selling well, I've had two GoPros over the last five years or so and each of them has been great to me.

As for the exclusivity deal, what a joke to make someone pay to race and then not let them use their own camera. If I was running a pro moto as a privateer I would damn well want to be able to video the whole thing on whatever I wanted. Not to mention what other camera would sponsor a rider or team if they cant even use it?

Post a reply to: Interesting tidbit regarding helmet cams during the Nationals...

The Latest