Inside joke thing...dumb?

8/4/2014 10:47am Edited Date/Time 8/5/2014 4:03pm
If I was the producers of the mx shows I would be pissed off about using airtime to do this inside joke, word of the day BS. by definition, an inside joke, is not funny to anyone but weege and whoever he bet. And if I was Baggett I would be trippin on it definitely. So on an inside joke Weege saddled that dumb nickname on Baggett? not very professional at all from a sport caster.
|
mx_579
8/4/2014 10:51am
You must really enjoy complaining
8/4/2014 10:51am
The thing is though, if you didn't know that it was an inside joke, you probably wouldn't know that it was an inside joke.

SKlein
8/4/2014 10:55am
I think for most people they just want to see good racing and don't bother to analyze what GL and Weege say during motos. Personally I find it interesting to see how he incorperates the words, keeps you on your feet at all times so you dont miss it Tongue
Bob693
8/4/2014 10:56am
TripleFive wrote:
The thing is though, if you didn't know that it was an inside joke, you probably wouldn't know that it was an inside joke. [img]https://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/mind_blown.gif[/img]
The thing is though, if you didn't know that it was an inside joke, you probably wouldn't know that it was an inside joke.

True, but you would probably wonder who the idiot announcer is that just compared an untucked jersey to a platypus tail. If you want the sport to be presented in a professional manner, it might be time to drop the word of the day.

The Shop

IWreckALot
8/4/2014 11:01am
I thought an inside joke was something between a couple of people. . . is it really an inside joke now?

And what's with all the complaints against GL and Weege? You want to hire a race horse announcer to call the races? What is your ideal announcer? I guess they could always hire Ralph S.

I thought the "one way ticket to endo nesia" and the "Tomac almost having to file a claim on the Geico bike" were funny and informational. And what was wrong with them calling the outer berm the crown moulding? I guess I don't get it. Just complaining to complain maybe?
Darryl916
8/4/2014 11:05am
The last one was "Crown Molding" I think. I listened but never heard it....

I think it's funny as hell and lightens up the mood a little while flexing a little verbal ability. All good things. I think it brilliant! As stated above, if we weren't hard core fans of the sport we wouldn't even know what was going on....
8/4/2014 11:07am
I'm just not sure our monster truck demographic is really bothered by it.
Darryl916
8/4/2014 11:11am
TripleFive wrote:
I'm just not sure our monster truck demographic is really bothered by it.
I agree.

BTW, I like that term. Mind if I use it in the future? lol
flyinb501
Fantasy
392nd
8/4/2014 11:12am
TripleFive wrote:
The thing is though, if you didn't know that it was an inside joke, you probably wouldn't know that it was an inside joke. [img]https://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/mind_blown.gif[/img]

Exactly. I think it's hilarious. Someone who can complain about GL and Weege could complain about anything I think... They are awesome.
MotoMo165
8/4/2014 11:31am
Haha the word of the week is fucking awesome
8/4/2014 11:37am Edited Date/Time 8/4/2014 11:38am
My only complaint is that Art Ekman and David Bailey arent commentating anymore. I love weege and GL, but I trade them in a heartbeat for art and DB.
Brent
8/4/2014 11:37am
Darryl916 wrote:
The last one was "Crown Molding" I think. I listened but never heard it.... I think it's funny as hell and lightens up the mood a...

I think it's funny as hell and lightens up the mood a little while flexing a little verbal ability. All good things. I think it brilliant! As stated above, if we weren't hard core fans of the sport we wouldn't even know what was going on....
The word was "Crown Moulding"?

That makes sense now, JW said it about 10 times in the second moto.

I thought it was funny. remember they are calling dirt bike races, not making a speech at the United Nations.

It is after all, entertainment.
8/4/2014 11:39am
Darryl916 wrote:
I agree.

BTW, I like that term. Mind if I use it in the future? lol
Be my guest!
wagonmaster
8/4/2014 12:20pm
I think its great I cant wait for him to work in Sperm whale. Wait Ben Lamay is from Alaska he's probably got some whaler's in the family tree. hmm
8/4/2014 12:27pm
are you kidding me? After muting SX all season so I don't have to hear ralph, it's nice to be able to listen to outdoors.
peelout
8/4/2014 12:27pm
to be honest, El Chupacabra is by far the dumbest thing i've ever heard on a motocross broadcast.

and that's saying something considering all the wonderful Ralph-isms we've had the last 5+ years
ts.p311
8/4/2014 12:38pm
If I was the producers of the mx shows I would be pissed off about using airtime to do this inside joke, word of the day...
If I was the producers of the mx shows I would be pissed off about using airtime to do this inside joke, word of the day BS. by definition, an inside joke, is not funny to anyone but weege and whoever he bet. And if I was Baggett I would be trippin on it definitely. So on an inside joke Weege saddled that dumb nickname on Baggett? not very professional at all from a sport caster.
I bet you're a lot of fun at parties. Bagget totally embraced the chupacabra thing, if Im not mistaken, HE had shirts made for it.
8/4/2014 12:39pm
I can't stand seeing people have fun either. It pisses me off, and we definitely need to do something about it. We need to become sportscasters. For the entire race, I'll just immediately state the obvious. (ex: Dungey takes the inside line). Then you can back me up by saying "Yeah" in a Billy Idol voice. Viva la Boring!
8/4/2014 12:41pm
Rather than starting a new thread, what's the dumbest thing an announcer has said?
Darryl916
8/4/2014 12:51pm
Darryl916 wrote:
The last one was "Crown Molding" I think. I listened but never heard it.... I think it's funny as hell and lightens up the mood a...

Brent wrote:
The word was "Crown Moulding"? That makes sense now, JW said it about 10 times in the second moto. I thought it was funny. remember they...
The word was "Crown Moulding"?

That makes sense now, JW said it about 10 times in the second moto.

I thought it was funny. remember they are calling dirt bike races, not making a speech at the United Nations.

It is after all, entertainment.
Ardfarkl
8/4/2014 1:16pm
If their not bitching their not happy.
ChrisB10
8/4/2014 1:39pm Edited Date/Time 8/4/2014 1:42pm
I love it and think we are lucky to have Jason Weigandt as an announcer. I also watch hockey basketball football baseball soccer nascar MXGP MotoGP INDY Formula 1 and Golf and IMO out of all of those he is one of the most talented sports announcers I've heard.

For real some of the NFL and MLB guys are so boring. Al Michaels sounds like a librarian. Joe Buck is another yawner. It's cool we have an announcer along with Grant who likes to have a little fun!
Not that anyone does or should care but my other favorites are (Bob Cole-NHL, Nick Harris-MotoGP and Ian Darke-EPL) Oh and I like Ralph too btw !
Ardfarkl
8/4/2014 1:44pm
ChrisB10 wrote:
I love it and think we are lucky to have Jason Weigandt as an announcer. I also watch hockey basketball football baseball soccer nascar MXGP MotoGP...
I love it and think we are lucky to have Jason Weigandt as an announcer. I also watch hockey basketball football baseball soccer nascar MXGP MotoGP INDY Formula 1 and Golf and IMO out of all of those he is one of the most talented sports announcers I've heard.

For real some of the NFL and MLB guys are so boring. Al Michaels sounds like a librarian. Joe Buck is another yawner. It's cool we have an announcer along with Grant who likes to have a little fun!
Not that anyone does or should care but my other favorites are (Bob Cole-NHL, Nick Harris-MotoGP and Ian Darke-EPL) Oh and I like Ralph too btw !
You really had me until the Ralph part!
mjskier
8/4/2014 1:50pm
For the entire race, I'll just immediately state the obvious. (ex: Dungey takes the inside line). Then you can back me up by saying "Yeah" in a Billy Idol voice. Viva la Boring!

Even better: Hire the guy doing commentary on the GPs.
Socia
Fantasy
2207th
8/4/2014 2:23pm
I would rather hear inside jokes, goofy nicknames, etc all day long rather than borderline mentally challenged educational facts about the sport that any 5 year old with zero moto experience could understand without the help of a full-grown clueless reporter. Tears offs are to clear your vision. It's hard to ride in sand, because that shit is loose. Mechanics use pit boards to write small messages or lap times. There are rocks on some tracks, they hurt *drops some in front of barcia's gate*. I love when they focus on the racing/racers, not acting like this sport is rocket science or some foreign subject joe public simply can't wrap his head around without a 5 minute lesson with a barrage of hand motions.
8/4/2014 2:47pm
Socia wrote:
I would rather hear inside jokes, goofy nicknames, etc all day long rather than borderline mentally challenged educational facts about the sport that any 5 year...
I would rather hear inside jokes, goofy nicknames, etc all day long rather than borderline mentally challenged educational facts about the sport that any 5 year old with zero moto experience could understand without the help of a full-grown clueless reporter. Tears offs are to clear your vision. It's hard to ride in sand, because that shit is loose. Mechanics use pit boards to write small messages or lap times. There are rocks on some tracks, they hurt *drops some in front of barcia's gate*. I love when they focus on the racing/racers, not acting like this sport is rocket science or some foreign subject joe public simply can't wrap his head around without a 5 minute lesson with a barrage of hand motions.
I think you should really treat Emig with more respect. He's a former champion. Cool
8/4/2014 2:54pm Edited Date/Time 8/4/2014 2:56pm
are you kidding me? After muting SX all season so I don't have to hear ralph, it's nice to be able to listen to outdoors.
oh man, when he got into that 'fell from the sky (or was it stars?)' thing over and over and over...

Post a reply to: Inside joke thing...dumb?

The Latest