Injury Update (WARNING: Graphic Photos)

KTMShane699
Edited Date/Time 4/27/2015 5:44pm
So if anyone saw the post about my first ride of the season and how it ended in a broken tibeal plateau and fibula, I ended up back at the hospital for pain control today. They were finally able to bring my pain down to an acceptable level after suffering at home for five days in agony. They changed my medication regiment for home as well, and hopefully this works out for the best.

While I was there, I was finally able to see my X-rays and such, and from the CT Scans they do, they make a 3D model of the injury. It's some pretty fascinating stuff to say the least. The first question I had was "Exactly how many fractures are there?" The reply was "numerous and they're all commutated." So basically there's a bunch, and they're all close together

I also learned that my time spent in this external fixator doesn't count towards my recovery time. My recovery time starts when they do the internal fixation and really start correcting things.

Once we get that far which will be in a "few weeks," depending on how it recovers, the light at the end will be glowing more brightly hopefully.

I've attached some photos of the external fixator, the leg and the X-rays and models.

Please be safe this season boys and girls. I wasn't sending anything massive when I did this. It was a stupid tiny table top I've jumped countless times before. It just bit me.

Enjoy the season!!!! I'll enjoy the support of family, friends and the like. I'd be in a much darker place than I am without them. So thanks to those people. And some of them are even here on vital.

Shane

|
MDMCG
4/24/2015 2:50pm
You're a long way from recovery. That's one of the more destroyed tib/fib/tibial plateau injuries that I've seen. GL on the journey going forward! >1 year I bet before you're starting to feel normal, and the damage to the joint space will be a lifetime.
4/24/2015 2:50pm
Best of luck on your recovery man. Hope the pain meds do their work now!

In what way did you land on your leg? Just came from high and landed on your feet?
KTMShane699
4/24/2015 3:02pm
Thanks guys. I'm well aware it'll be a very long road to recovery. But it's one I have to do. To regain my life and my livelihood.

I actually think I hit the handlebar with my knee brace and it causes a massive impact. I can only imagine my knee if I didn't have them on though.

Shane
HOPSTOOPID
4/24/2015 3:07pm Edited Date/Time 4/24/2015 3:08pm
MDMCG wrote:
You're a long way from recovery. That's one of the more destroyed tib/fib/tibial plateau injuries that I've seen. GL on the journey going forward! >1 year...
You're a long way from recovery. That's one of the more destroyed tib/fib/tibial plateau injuries that I've seen. GL on the journey going forward! >1 year I bet before you're starting to feel normal, and the damage to the joint space will be a lifetime.
and the award for most positive post of the day goes to....

Great luck on the recovery time man! On the bright side, you won't be missing any action on vital or posts that get deleted!

The Shop

lostboy819
Fantasy
1442nd
4/24/2015 3:12pm
Do you get to keep all the cool hardware when its healed ? I bet you could make some trick bike parts with all the rods and clamps.
bsharkey
4/24/2015 3:16pm
GWS . man I hate clicking on these threads. why do we do this shit.!!! good luck
4/24/2015 3:23pm
Good luck with your recovery. Take it easy and do it right, it's a lot better in the end than going crazy and having other problems.

On a lighter note, fishes got stitches.
DavidCO
4/24/2015 3:30pm
I did a very similar tibia plateau fracture and had to deal with some of the things you described. I ended up getting a total knee replacement. Which isn't the end of the world it works great. I still race in the old guy class.
4/24/2015 3:35pm Edited Date/Time 4/24/2015 3:37pm
I kept all of my hardware. Stay positive, long road in front of you, but you will get through it. I have that same toilet seat you have your leg on. Hope you got a extra wide wheel chair for the hardware hanging off your leg.
cheers_22
4/24/2015 3:36pm Edited Date/Time 4/24/2015 3:41pm
Compounded my tib/fib late 2013.
Hope you heal up quick.
RMRider1
4/24/2015 3:44pm
MDMCG wrote:
You're a long way from recovery. That's one of the more destroyed tib/fib/tibial plateau injuries that I've seen. GL on the journey going forward! >1 year...
Like the dude doesn't realize what he's up against...gem! Good luck on recovery...positive thoughts and vibes your way!
dean122
4/24/2015 3:47pm
lostboy819 wrote:
Do you get to keep all the cool hardware when its healed ? I bet you could make some trick bike parts with all the rods...
Do you get to keep all the cool hardware when its healed ? I bet you could make some trick bike parts with all the rods and clamps.
First damn thing I thought of was the blue aluminum bits and titanium rods.

Damn Shane, I hope you make a full recovery and come back strong. At least you have your health, family and you'll be able to walk and ride again.
PastranaWho
4/24/2015 3:48pm
Just reminded why i dont ride anymoreShocked . Best of luck with a full recovery.
SLO1667
4/24/2015 4:05pm Edited Date/Time 4/24/2015 4:05pm
MDMCG wrote:
HOPSTOOPID wrote:
and the award for most positive post of the day goes to.... Great luck on the recovery time man! On the bright side, you won't be...
and the award for most positive post of the day goes to....

Great luck on the recovery time man! On the bright side, you won't be missing any action on vital or posts that get deleted!
No chiat to Debbie Downer.

Shane, I think if you continue to your maintain your positive spirits, you will do fine. Sorry to hear, but also glad you shared your story and words of caution for everyone. Hope the recover goes well and I think it's safe to assume you'll be spending some time on this forum. Smile

Bummed for you after just getting the new bike.

Dragoo168
4/24/2015 4:12pm
I shattered my Tibial Plataue in '02, came back in '04 and won a state championship,...It's going to seem like a long road brother, but you'll get through it! The best advice is take the time to let it heal properly, and rehab it thoroughly,..it'll always suck when it's cold outside, but that's just how it is. Good luck!
Renner153
Fantasy
3578th
4/24/2015 4:45pm
Man I feel your pain. Spent 2 months with those in both legs/feet. Just stay off of it with those things in and keep them clean! Hope everything goes well for you man! Good luck on your recovery!
Piston Slap
Fantasy
2410th
4/24/2015 4:50pm Edited Date/Time 4/24/2015 4:54pm
Did my tibial plateau in 1998, looked alot like yours. Most painful thing I've ever done to myself, ever.Sad

I got sent home from a hospital 2 hours away with no external fixator, just a knee imobilizer, riding in the back of a pontiac firebird! Long story, not so much fun.Angry

Saw my ortho first thing in the morning and he panicked.ShockedUnsure He couldn't believe I went all night like that and was afraid I'd lose my leg due to blood build up in my knee. Shot me up with LOTS of Dermerol, drew several large syringes of blood off my knee while the ambulance came to take me to the hospital which was only two blocks away. He rode with me in the ambulance and we went directly to the surgery.

It was super messed up.

He said I would never walk without a limp, never run again. Shocked

He was wrong.Laughing

Good luck with your recovery bro, it's a long road but you can do it.Smile

oh, and my mom took away all my pain meds when we got out of the hospital and flushed them! She was afraid I would be addicted with what all they gave me!!!ShockedEvil

I did all my recovery and rehab with only enteric coated aspirin for pain. :-)

good luck bro, stay on top of your pain with those meds.

You can do it!!
markit
4/24/2015 4:55pm
Been there x 2 on the same leg (left) hang in there.
MXBREWSKI
4/24/2015 5:18pm
Thanks guys. I'm well aware it'll be a very long road to recovery. But it's one I have to do. To regain my life and my...
Thanks guys. I'm well aware it'll be a very long road to recovery. But it's one I have to do. To regain my life and my livelihood.

I actually think I hit the handlebar with my knee brace and it causes a massive impact. I can only imagine my knee if I didn't have them on though.

Shane
Shane you have my prayers brother. Keep your positive outlook and all will be good, and I am glad they got your pain under control. Keep us updated, as I am sure a lot of your moto brothers are hoping for your continued healing and progress.
slipdog
4/24/2015 5:31pm
Best of luck in your recovery, remember Xeroform is your friend!

It will all just be a faded memory before you know it. I broke my heels and I waited almost 2 years before I started riding again. I wish I had done it sooner, but the Dr. had me scared I'd never walk right again.

Crush
4/24/2015 5:41pm
You did a good job Bud! Hope you get back on your feet soon!
plowboy
4/24/2015 7:01pm
Shit...I had a worse place than that on my lip and just kept right on whistling. I joke I joke. That is way gnarly man. Heal up brother.
motoxxx599
Fantasy
985th
4/24/2015 7:08pm
the most important advice I can give is to maintain a super high fiber diet and keep yourself cleaned out. Drink a lot of water, I mean a lot of water!! I broke my back 2 years ago and one of the worst parts of the injury was the constipation from the pain meds. It felt like I shit toaster every time I had to go.
plowboy
4/24/2015 7:14pm
motoxxx599 wrote:
the most important advice I can give is to maintain a super high fiber diet and keep yourself cleaned out. Drink a lot of water, I...
the most important advice I can give is to maintain a super high fiber diet and keep yourself cleaned out. Drink a lot of water, I mean a lot of water!! I broke my back 2 years ago and one of the worst parts of the injury was the constipation from the pain meds. It felt like I shit toaster every time I had to go.
Too true. Feels like barb wire broken glass and fish hooks.
4/24/2015 7:21pm Edited Date/Time 4/24/2015 7:22pm
I had the same injury over 10 years ago. I had surgery with a couple screws holding it together. My only advise do not gain too much weight. Also after your healed dont be afraid to workout your legs with weights like crazy (squats and leg curls)
Camber75
4/24/2015 8:45pm
Sorry, these a pretty graphic, but proof it will get better. This was a severe compound tib/fib break. Took just about 3 years to fully recover. After 1 full year it was re broken due to not healing property, that's when I got the fixator. Started riding mx again at about 2 1/2 years. I wish you good luck!!

sclark309d
Fantasy
2061st
4/24/2015 8:59pm
I'm glad they got your pain under control. I recently had a similar issue - my doc told me that pain was not my friend, ie I'd heal better with the minimum pain possible.

My biggest concern was Compartment Syndrome. Keep an eye on swelling, feeling in your foot and distal pulse. IF your doc hasn't talked to you about what to watch for, ask him about what to watch for.

Good luck with your recovery
Steve
leighracer
4/24/2015 9:12pm
Did the same thing in a scooter accident on an island in the Bay of Naples, yes in Italy. Two nights in the local hospital convinced me I needed to get back stateside if I wanted any chance of full recovery. Bought a first class ticket and got the hell out of there. Once I went through all the HMO BS it was two weeks between the accident and surgery. Long story short, you're looking at 1 to 2 years for full recovery but could be back on a bike sooner. Don't slack off on the PT, range of motion may never get all the way back but riding a stationary bike and forcing your knee to bend helps more than anything for this. Oh and don't ever ride scooters in foreign countries IMHO. Hang in there, it gets better.

Post a reply to: Injury Update (WARNING: Graphic Photos)

The Latest