Indoor riding facilities. Why don't they last?

11/30/2016 5:18pm
We've had a few come in go here in the pnw. Ive noticed this all over the country too. They never last too long. Whats the cause? Tracks too small? Cost too high? What kills these places?
|
KirkChandler
Fantasy
357th
11/30/2016 5:23pm
Too much overhead for a limited amount of riders for a limited amount of months of the year.
kmp1219
11/30/2016 5:30pm
From a business standpoint this type of thing only makes sense if you can fund it completely out of pocket rather than take out loans. This is because a loan is paid monthly and the peak season for this type of facility is usually 3-4 months max, which means cash flow needs to be budgeted to provide money for expenses during off months.

Additionally, equipment isn't cheap, neither is staffing. This type of facility has all of the same expenses as a regular track IN ADDITION to a building to pay off. On top of that, the bulk of their business comes in during a very brief period when riding outdoors is not an option.

The sad truth is that a lot of the people who open/own these types of facilities aren't the most business savvy and generally go broke trying to keep the lights on during the offseason.

The potential for this type of operation is very limited because not many people will pay more than 20-30 bucks to ride one of these tracks. Even at 30 bucks per rider with 100 riders per week you're looking at $3,000/week before taxes, payroll and other expenses.
yak651
Fantasy
168th
11/30/2016 5:34pm
I wish there was a decent one closer to me but I'm assuming because they are only "useable" 3 months out of the year and of those 3 months mainly only viable to be open on weekends?
11/30/2016 5:38pm
That's kind of what I figured. Here's why I ask. I have the opportunity to buy a very substantial piece of land. I'm not a farmer, so my first thought was moto track. There's plenty of those around here. So then I thought a covered sx size track with retractable rubber walls or no walls at all would be cool, and you could run it all year long.

The Shop

smoothies862
Fantasy
745th
11/30/2016 5:46pm
the one I went to a few times got boring really fast.20 sec laps and not cheap.
JustMX
11/30/2016 6:44pm
global warming
crusher773
11/30/2016 7:20pm
My dad and I have always thought that not an entire closed building but just a tall roof over the top of a track would be awesome. It would cover the track in the winter so it wouldn't get totally wasted by rain. It would still be cold but still rideable most of the time especially if was somewhat south but not extremely south like Texas or Florida. Then in the summer time it would shade the track and keep the sun from baking it as much. You could rig it up to have sprinklers that you could flip on to water the track from the ceiling too. It still wouldn't be cheap but it might be something that would end up having a little less overhead to it.
Gale19XX
11/30/2016 8:51pm
I seen one close the doors quicker than it took to construct the building. Guy wasn't business savvy but must have gave a savvy proposition to the lender. Brand new indoor facility that took 6 months to build, closed the doors after 2.

I just can't see one making it without a business
savvy person behind it, who already owned the building. Having money and a passion for moto probably won't cut it.

Awhile back I was checking out a place online and it seemed like it was doing good. I can't remember the name. I checked out the schedule and it looked like they only run an indoor mx track over the winter months. When their mx season is over, they then use the place for indoor go kart racing, rodeos, and some other sporting events. That could be the key to keeping things afloat. Use the building strictly for mx for some of the year, and rent it out for other events the rest.
BobPA
12/1/2016 5:02am
If I have to travel 4 hours north to ride indoors, why not travel 6 hours south and be able to ride an actual track.
kkawboy14
12/1/2016 5:10am
Most indoor tracks build a track and then never change it much. Mx get bored quick, that's why they are mxers, they love new challenges.

They also have to create multiple uses for the building year round.
12/1/2016 5:29am
Most do horse barrel racing and cattle/dog shows during the warmer months around here to keep income flowing. This all goes back to most track owners don't know business. Have to be doing something during the other 7-8 months outdoor tracks are open. They were fun on an 80 and way too easy on anything bigger than a 125.
Springcreek
12/1/2016 6:06am
Short season
Limited number of riders close to location
Customers get wrecked
High overhead
If a lot of riders show up, you have to wait a long time to ride
If in a larger metro area you will have permit problems
metzler316
12/1/2016 8:15am
That's kind of what I figured. Here's why I ask. I have the opportunity to buy a very substantial piece of land. I'm not a farmer...
That's kind of what I figured. Here's why I ask. I have the opportunity to buy a very substantial piece of land. I'm not a farmer, so my first thought was moto track. There's plenty of those around here. So then I thought a covered sx size track with retractable rubber walls or no walls at all would be cool, and you could run it all year long.
Yes please!! Do it!! I will be there Smile
12/1/2016 8:22am
Mototown in CT was open for a while until the roof collapsed under heavy snow load. There is a whole saga of stories behind the whole place.
Phillip_Lamb
Fantasy
2511th
12/1/2016 8:57am
We've had a few come in go here in the pnw. Ive noticed this all over the country too. They never last too long. Whats the...
We've had a few come in go here in the pnw. Ive noticed this all over the country too. They never last too long. Whats the cause? Tracks too small? Cost too high? What kills these places?
like others said. Too much cost for the building, not enough guys want to ride an AX/SX type track. and they're seasonal
Tracktor
12/1/2016 9:15am
That's kind of what I figured. Here's why I ask. I have the opportunity to buy a very substantial piece of land. I'm not a farmer...
Good luck with that. Ask Don Boespflug how the numbers work on such an endeavor. That's even if the county won't shut you down. Finding an accessible piece of land that doesn't have zoning issues will simply not pencil out.
Salem lasted many years but makes more with less hassle doing roundy round. Neighbor issues there also I believe.
Hindsite - didn't pencil out
Moto321 - Same as above
Clark County ( not calling it OT5) - I built the tracks in 2014-15 there so was kind of involved. Not as much other that providing equipment stuff when it was OT5 in 2016. There was a bunch of behind the scenes stuff I won;t get into here but a lot of it boiled down to the fair board not liking the seasonal involvement of MX they wanted whoever was running it attending meetings year around among other things. Bummer all around becasue if some of us had known sooner it would be open and running right now. Too much backbiting and secrecy in NW MX...............
MX114
12/1/2016 10:06am Edited Date/Time 12/1/2016 10:09am
We had one here in Syracuse, NY. Took over a year to construct and was closed in 8 months. The guy behind the deal was shady. Made allot of bad business deals and promises then skipped town when the money ran dry. It had a Yamaha and KTM dealership inside the facility. Everything got repoed by the bank and lots of people lost money on investments. Bummer deal the place had allot of potential since get over 10ft of Snow in the winters and lots of riders locally in Upstate NY
MX114
12/1/2016 10:10am
Moto town In CT was awesome though. Went there several times and always had a blast. It's too bad the place is gone now
Markopolo400
12/1/2016 10:30am
Cedar Lake Arena, New Richmond Wisconsin

http://www.cedarlakespeedway.com/page/show/695849-arena-schedule

They have a pretty good turn out all winter
They are smart. Indoor MX in the winter, indoor mini sprint (Or whatever they are) cars in the summer and an outdoor dirt oval.

No concrete slab so they can dig into the ground and make somewhat decent elevation for an indoor track. I've already ridden there once this year, its always a good time.
ACBraap
Fantasy
450th
12/1/2016 11:33am
I have no idea what happened with the Salem AX. Sounds like Clark County has issues with the county landlord? There have been other attempts in OR and WA which all ultimately failed. If you had the space, I would do a large pole building, and then have weeknight practice. At least in OR its viable more like 6 months of the year.

My guess is that rent to third parties and noise have been killers to these facilities in the past.
ACBraap
Fantasy
450th
12/1/2016 11:37am
like others said. Too much cost for the building, not enough guys want to ride an AX/SX type track. and they're seasonal
Maybe in CA nobody wants to ride AX/SX, but in the PNW, people do like to ride in the dry. That was the appeal that had me racing indoors every week all winter long in the late 80s/early 90s.
Rene39
Fantasy
2110th
3/17/2024 9:47pm

Bringing up an old post I know but… 

First time coming down to Cedar lake from Manitoba Canada. This place is freakin awesome! 
Track changes and maintained regularly. Will be back next year multiple times for sure!

3/17/2024 11:02pm
Rene39 wrote:
Bringing up an old post I know but…  First time coming down to Cedar lake from Manitoba Canada. This place is freakin awesome!  Track changes and...

Bringing up an old post I know but… 

First time coming down to Cedar lake from Manitoba Canada. This place is freakin awesome! 
Track changes and maintained regularly. Will be back next year multiple times for sure!

Sounds Great . I hear it’s really fun & popular. Pastrana  did a back flip off a bowled berm like 15 yrs ago.  Windy cold and snowing here today. 

Post a reply to: Indoor riding facilities. Why don't they last?

The Latest