In defense of Erin Bates

DC
Edited Date/Time 1/26/2012 2:13am
Okay, like most everyone else on this board, I was watching the races on TV on Saturday night when Erin Bates stepped into the frame as Ryan Villopoto's night was coming to a terrible climax, and she asked him a question... The guys and girls I was watching with cringed as Ryan started to answer, but then he realized his bike was started and hopped on and away he went. But that didn't stop everyone from wondering how she could stick a microphone in his face at such an unfortunate time....

Okay, as someone who was lucky enough to have that job for a little while, I can assure you that those type of "action-reporting" interviews are part of being a sideline or pit reporter. I can remember having to step in and ask folks to tell me how they were feeling at times when they really would rather not have spoken to anyone, but that's the price of being paid to perform in the public realm. I distinctly remember going to talk to David Pingree after he lost the 2000 West Region SX title to Shae Bentley.... It probably haunts me almost us much as it still haunts him.

This afternoon, I had a phone conversation with Chris Bond, who directs the shows along with Jeff Manhart, and that moment in the mechanics area came up. He said that as soon as he saw Villopoto headed for the pits, he told Erin in her headset to go get the interview. If you want to work in the TV industry hat's an assignment you don't refuse. So Erin was doing her job, and even though it was obvious by the very attentive camera shots by Mark Shoemaker (?) that the silencer was clogged with dirt, Erin does not have the luxury of a TV screen down there. And had the cameraman missed that small but vital detail, we might all still be scratching our heads over what the heck happened to RV's bike?

So well done, Erin. Moments like that are the heavy-lifting of TV reporting. I will likely get some flack here, but as a viewer at home, I wanted to know what was going on with the guy who just threw the race away. Remember, sports television was built on two pillars: The thrill of victory and the agony of defeat.

One more question: Had the AMA official in the pits not pointed out the problem, how long might it have taken anyone else down there to notice it?
DC
MX Sports
|
yanks_178
3/1/2010 12:03pm
I think Erin does a great job in the pits.. Anytime somebody crashes or breaks down she is right there as they are walking away. I remember at A1 this year she came right up to Reed and he wasn't happy.. Awesome job Erin!!
adamdf
3/1/2010 12:07pm
I agree with what DC is saying, she's just doing her job, props to her for doing it, that does take some courage.

Crash82
Fantasy
2036th
3/1/2010 12:11pm
I guess a few folks on here owe her an apology...

Flashback to 1972: Bob Gill was to jump 75 motorcycles at Sunshine Speedway, they couldn't come up with 75 so he jumped what they had. He didn't use a landing ramp and looped out, they let us walk out on the track and inspect his bike, he had a packed pipe. Being from Alabama I've packed quite a few things in my pipe, with a get off like that the first thing I would check is to see if i had dirt in my pipe.

The Shop

David Izer
3/1/2010 12:12pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 9:06pm
I agree with you and Rupert. I've known Erin for 10 years and she has always had, and will always have, my support. She takes her job seriously, and knows the sport very well.

There are at least a dozen great bench racing stories out of Atlanta. Let's hope we get back to the relevant ones.

Void Main
3/1/2010 12:17pm
I also almost threw a shoe at the TV when Erin stepped in to do the interview when *I* knew it was just a plugged silencer. Afterwards I realized that Erin didn't know that at the time and in fact neither did RV or his Mechanic. They were just about to push the bike back to the pits in which case it would have been VERY appropriate for Erin to get the interview at that time. So I have to apologize for almost throwing my shoe. Sorry Erin. Smile
Outsider
3/1/2010 12:18pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 9:06pm
adamdf wrote:
I agree with what DC is saying, she's just doing her job, props to her for doing it, that does take some courage.

X2,

I do hope that the directors will be more cautious in the future and let things play out before jumping in.

It's one thing to film the events, and they did an awesome job catching the clogged silencer, for sure, but, when Erin, or anyone else jumps in and distracts a rider who may, or may not be out of the race, it's over the line.... not saying she intentionally distracted RV as she thought he was out, but, in this case, they were wrong.

JMO
DiIullo
3/1/2010 12:30pm Edited Date/Time 3/1/2010 12:31pm
I think it was great.....It might be a pain in the ass for the guy being interviewed at that moment, but it's a good and needed thing for the sport. This is when the fans will either identify with the rider even more, OR less. Either way it's a major good thing IMO....
troublebros
3/1/2010 1:01pm
IMO, she should've waited untill they knew he was not going to continue.
BogMasterR
3/1/2010 1:08pm Edited Date/Time 3/1/2010 1:12pm
Erin with Steve Wise on a real bike ! Nice !
swizcore
3/1/2010 1:11pm
Great info Davey.
The sad part is that you actually had to explain it.
Should be obvious that she receives her orders from her boss and does what she's told.
Can't believe there are people here who actually think she heads into the lions den on her own accord.
paul937
Fantasy
415th
3/1/2010 1:13pm
David Izer wrote:
I agree with you and Rupert. I've known Erin for 10 years and she has always had, and will always have, my support. She takes her...
I agree with you and Rupert. I've known Erin for 10 years and she has always had, and will always have, my support. She takes her job seriously, and knows the sport very well.

There are at least a dozen great bench racing stories out of Atlanta. Let's hope we get back to the relevant ones.

Ditto on that from me David (and DC)! Erin has a very difficult job and I think she does great. We’re lucky to have her.

Paul
Spinner
3/1/2010 1:23pm
There's something missing in this thread.
Steve47
3/1/2010 1:24pm
I'll say it again and it's just my opinion...

I have no problem with Erin jumping right in the action and asking stuff, I'm sure she's being told to do so and she's trying to do her jod and listen to the boss. I get that...

My only problem is that I don't think she's very good at interviews period. It's not when, it's the what! She's not the right person for the job, doesn't sound professional and doesn't ask the right questions... A good reported will get emotions out of the person being interviewed, sound good and be very informative... I don't think she is.

I'm sure she works really hard and is the nicest person, I just don't think she's got the right skills...

Krysta Voda and Jamie Little were both really good at it and sounded so much better. I remember being very impressed the first time Voda showed up, she probably didn't know a thing about SX but you couldn't tell... Her interviews were that much better than Erin (who knows the sport very well)

Again, that's just my opinion but I think it's pretty obvious when you watch the broadcast.
hellion
3/1/2010 1:24pm
I thought this weekends coverage was the best yet. The on the line interviews and that Villopoto interview made such a big difference. I know as a racer that giving time for an interview on the line must be very hard, but these guys are making a living doing this and it should be considered part of the job.
The big thing that needs to change is the sponsor list speeches from the podium. C'mon, who cares really. Tell us what really happened in your race the way you will later on when you are bench racing with your buds. And don't let these guys off so easy either. How many times are we going to have to hear Dungey say he looking forward, working hard, looking at the big picture etc.. Even NASCAR has more personality than moto right now and that's crazy. Moto has far more interesting people and stories, lets hear them.
3/1/2010 1:39pm
swizcore wrote:
Great info Davey. The sad part is that you actually had to explain it. Should be obvious that she receives her orders from her boss and...
Great info Davey.
The sad part is that you actually had to explain it.
Should be obvious that she receives her orders from her boss and does what she's told.
Can't believe there are people here who actually think she heads into the lions den on her own accord.
What he said. What do people think she wears those headphones for? Sound?
mooch
Fantasy
501st
3/1/2010 1:43pm
Let that Jim Martin fella do the job....that dude has ALL the freakin answers!

If he's not providing "advice" as to how Erin should be doing her job, he's telling the world what RC should and should not say during a SX broadcast.

3/1/2010 1:44pm
DC - I've had just about enough of your posts today...making good points and clearing things up and all.....throwing me off the usual pin head responses I'm used to.

swizcore
3/1/2010 1:49pm Edited Date/Time 3/1/2010 1:49pm
Steve47 wrote:
I'll say it again and it's just my opinion... I have no problem with Erin jumping right in the action and asking stuff, I'm sure she's...

I have no problem with Erin jumping right in the action and asking stuff, I'm sure she's being told to do so and she's trying to do her jod and listen to the boss. I get that...

My only problem is that I don't think she's very good at interviews period. It's not when, it's the what! She's not the right person for the job, doesn't sound professional and doesn't ask the right questions... A good reported will get emotions out of the person being interviewed, sound good and be very informative... I don't think she is.

I'm sure she works really hard and is the nicest person, I just don't think she's got the right skills...

Krysta Voda and Jamie Little were both really good at it and sounded so much better. I remember being very impressed the first time Voda showed up, she probably didn't know a thing about SX but you couldn't tell... Her interviews were that much better than Erin (who knows the sport very well)

Again, that's just my opinion but I think it's pretty obvious when you watch the broadcast.
I agree Steve, Krista and Jamie are damn good, so much so that they were moved up to Nascar. Erin's improving and cares about the sport so thats ok with me.
jbomx363
3/1/2010 1:52pm
Explanation.. well.. I don't doubt any of us didn't assume she was being told to go get something from Ryan, but she should have recognized that he was in the mechanics area waiting to see if his bike could be fixed and/or if he could continue BEFORE asking the question.

He was still in the game is the point AND when so many others are bitchin about it, then it may be that it wasn't the right thing to do either.

Besides this instance, she can do a better overall job. Being nice and pretty and hooked up shouldn't keep her from being criticized either.
motokid40
3/1/2010 1:52pm
It's a whole new world when you have headphones on and I figured someone was saying 'get in there'

Hank_Thrill
3/1/2010 1:53pm
I'm so glad you posted this. Your words hold a lot of weight.
Outsider
3/1/2010 1:55pm
Spinner wrote:
There's something missing in this thread.
boobie pic? and not the one above....Smile ^^^^^^^^^
VEGAS711
Sounds like it was not Erin's fault. But weren't the TV announcer's pointing out the problem on the broadcast. I would think that the person that sent Erin over to Ryan would have at least as much information as I had in my living room?Wink
Crash82
Fantasy
2036th
Steve47 wrote:
I'll say it again and it's just my opinion... I have no problem with Erin jumping right in the action and asking stuff, I'm sure she's...

Bullshit man, you are attacking this lady for no reason. So you like Krista's "knarly dirt" comments? Erin will smoke her ass on the mic, you're full of shit.
twizzler
3/1/2010 2:02pm
Tell her to stop asking the racers, "What does this mean to you....?" question all of the time. She uses it non-stop...
Big Lenny
3/1/2010 2:50pm
I was interviewd by a flagman after a spectacular crash once. he said, "Are you alright?" .. I said, "Hell naw, didn't you just see that crash?"... She was doing her job I agree..
JB 19
3/1/2010 3:08pm
I sure hope the terrible audio for the second week in a row was discussed. It sounds like they are getting their audio from the highest point in the stadium.
race
3/1/2010 3:13pm
DC - question for you.

It seemed like everyone but RV's wrench knew what the problem was ... i.e. . tv commentators, AMA official ...

Not saying it was his fault as he may not have even seen the actual wreck ... but do the teams not have someone monitoring the live vid feed ( on the live shows ) or the live audio feed and be able to relay info down to the team guys on the track? I'm thinking they might have been able to save some time ... which could have translated into a few more points. And we all know what a few points can mean at the end of a long season.

As far as Erin, I like the way she is fearless and brutally frank in her questions. Makes for good TV. She may not be perfect and ready to do the Superbowl but too many of the commentators / talent dodge the tough questions.

And some of you folks here still owe her an apology.

Post a reply to: In defense of Erin Bates

The Latest