In Memorial - RIP RacerBoy, Marc Estabooks

flarider
Edited Date/Time 5/31/2016 6:21pm
Remember Marc Estabrooks? Maybe not, but you remember his cartoons, that were featured in many of our Engine Ice ads, there was a series of RacerX RacerBoy cartoon trading cards

Cartoons after each race for Vurbmoto

He did art for a lot of magazines and even did stuff for Atomic Skis that won awards in the snow ski industry and was even featured on NBC during the Winter Olympics

Well, several of us who were his close friends got word yesterday and last night that they found his body out in the St Lawrence River near Montreal on Friday. Marc had struggled with psychological issues for many years and would occasionally go off his medications, resulting in him becoming someone manic, even depressed. No one knows why he went into the river, maybe he thought he could swim across or swim to some place better.

Marc did a lot of work for Engine Ice. Marc was my friend. I did all I could to help him. Marc also worked for Bell Helmets, did work for Matrix, I believe doing some of their initial design and graphics work and created tons of art for us, and even Marty the Bear you see in my profile.I haven't seen Marc in a while, since he went back to Canada, and I have missed him, and now miss him even more.
Terrible loss for the MX art and graphics community.

The demons are gone my friend, you may now rest, and rest in peace. Godspeed.

|
slipdog
5/30/2016 5:46am
Condolences to his family and those that knew him, may he rest in peace!
EZZA 95B
Fantasy
1154th
5/30/2016 5:51am
That's really sad. Thanks for posting some of his art.
Condolences to his family and friends.
Uncle Tony
5/30/2016 5:57am
I do remember him, RIP Marc thanks for posting this
500guy
5/30/2016 6:02am
Terrible news, I never met him but corresponded with him on MT and through email and talked on the phone once.

He was a little quirky to say the least but always a good guy to interact with and a really good artist too.

RIP Marc

The Shop

Big E
5/30/2016 7:22am
So sad to hear this. I worked with him in the past and he was such a good guy. He was so excited to come down from Canada to live and work in the US.

I am So So sad...
MX Culture
5/30/2016 7:25am Edited Date/Time 5/30/2016 7:29am
Wow, crazy news.
He dabbled in the pitbike segment too and did some stuff with us at Sano.
Haven't heard his name or from him in years.
I always thought he could do more and go farther, but he seemed content.
RIP old friend.
Jimmy_Sloan
5/30/2016 9:19am
I do remember his artwork, I even tried emulate it (very badly). Sorry to hear this news, RIP.
jeffro503
5/30/2016 10:03am
That is terrible news Dave. My condolences go out to all of his family and friends. Feel for you Dave , as he seemed pretty special to you and a lot of others. I always wondered who did all that awesome looking art work. Please post more if you have the time. Love looking at moto art , and he seemed to of been awesome at it. RIP Mr Estabooks.
BobbyM
5/30/2016 10:39am
Very sorry to hear this Dave... my condolences to his family and friends.
lumpy790
5/30/2016 11:04am
Marc lived here in Charlotte and we spoke on the phone about working together a couple times. Seemed like a good and talented guy.
5/30/2016 11:42am
This is a sad day and a major loss in the mx community as Dave said. Many of our favorite brands were touched by Marc's creative spirit both by cartoon and his innovative approach to anything online including websites and his creation of an online weekly mx racing game featuring each supercross track hand built each week using self taught programming skills.

He attended College on Price Edward Island , Canada and earned a degree in Illustration. In 2004 he received and honorary degree from his Alma mater in Graphic Design as his self taught skills impressed the educational board so much they gifted him a Degree.

He always said he was in good company working with the likes of RacerX, Transworld, Engine Ice, Renthal, Sixsixone, Bell, Team Green, Atomic Ski, Air Nautics, Suzuki, Jordan Suzuki Racing, Fox Racing, Wonder Warthog privateer program, Greg Primm motocross museum, Cheza Racing, and many more.

He also held many personal endeavors including FactoryMX, EXOST, RacerBoy, Motolev and Rider Apparel.

His style helped shape the world of Motocross for decades, known or unknown to most. He found great inspiration early on from Troy Lee and aspired to create lasting art everywhere. Let's hope he can finally find what it was he was running after all these years. RIP Merc -

Elysia (former wife, co-partner EXOST & Rider Apparel)
FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4231st
5/30/2016 11:52am
Oh man, merc was a gifted guy. Was glad to exchange help on different projects of his and mine over the years, including a sweet logo he did for my daughter. I couldn't be more sorry to hear this.
DanDunes818
5/30/2016 12:35pm Edited Date/Time 5/30/2016 12:37pm
This is sad. Like a lot of people that have already posted, I talked to Marc quite a few times over the years. He owned a domain SX/MX.com and had dreams of making it into something special but needed someone to manage the content.

We got pretty far with the mock up of the site and he had big plans to move forward, but MotoXAddicts was just starting to get legs, I also got hired on to another project and SX/MX.com lost traction. I would post his cartoons over the years and even did a full gallery of his work at one point. I don't have a link to that, because the last time I talked to Marc he asked me to take it down because he was going in a different direction with Racerboy.

I always hoped all his ideas would come to life because he had an incredible imagination. This is hard to hear and I want to send thoughts and prayers to all his closest friends and family. RIP Marc.

RM250GUY
5/30/2016 1:21pm
How sad to hear of this. About 15 years ago I met Marc online, (never had the pleasure in person) thru all the MotoDrive days and the web stuff I used to tinker with. Always willing to help and always friendly, it is sad to hear of his passing.

Somewhere around here I have all of those cartoons he did. From the Guy Coopers, to EngineIceDave and all the rest. Some great people and fun times and it's so sad that we have again lost a good guy.

Rest In Peace brother. And although it matter little now, thanks for always answering my questions and being a friend back on those days. You will be missed...
Starcrossed
5/30/2016 1:21pm
Can't say that I knew Marc, but his work is very impressive, and it's obvious that he touched many lives. Godspeed
hartebreak
Fantasy
169th
5/30/2016 1:27pm
Mental illness is such a horrible thing and very much misunderstood and poorly handled by our medical system. Its such a shame that we as a society let good people take their lives because they feel like they have no other choice. I hope one day there are breakthroughs and we can help these people who very much need it. RIP Marc.
robkinuk
5/30/2016 4:09pm
My sincere condolences to his family, friends and industry contacts. So sad to lose a fellow artist and hope his legacy lives on though his work!
kkawboy14
5/30/2016 4:14pm
Man sorry to hear that Dave! It's sad what the depressions and anxieties are doing to people.
wkd
5/30/2016 4:47pm
As I sit here reading the various posts, so many memories come flooding back.

From his early days on the old Fresh Dirt boards where people changed their names, sometimes more often than their underwear. From adventures on Motodrive & places in between.

From his dreams of leaving his home in a small town in New Brunswick. We "talked" for hours on the old AIM message system. We shared pictures, stories, I critiqued some of his art & ideas, we just clicked from the beginning over 15 years ago.He provided the artwork and or design for my plaques at Honda Hills the last few years. He designed the first website for AMA District 11. Such a talented individual he was!

His first trip to California where as Worm put it, he was on sensory overload. An early trip to Vegas left him telling stories about hanging out with Jessica Patterson who was then too young to bar hop. There are other stories involving bushes, high speeds, maybe a little trespassing but nothing malicious, just a "kid" who couldn't believe his luck.

His adventures with Frank Hoppen & so many others I know he had to keep pinching himself that this was really happening. Eric, Dave Kimmey, Breck & Mark Bonnell, RM250guy are the first that come to mind but there were so many!

I remember, Lisa, when you two first started talking & Marc would ask me for advice as to what he should do or say.

We both shared a love of quirky books, one of them being Neil Gaiman's "American Gods".

He gave my daughter, Robyn, the nickname MissTude & they also talked online. He gave her a line drawing of the original Chad Reed card he did for RacerX and Robyn was lucky enough to get Chad to sign it one year at Kenworthy's.

His many moves, around California, back to Canada for his work visa issues, Iowa, Wisconsin and then North Carolina.

All along the way there were struggles but Marc was always convinced that he was going to pull it off. He kept plugging away & trying different dreams. Motolev, EXOST, RacerBoy & so many other ideas.

Somewhere along the iine, he lost that spark. We still spoke but not as often until contact became a rare event. He went missing last fall for the second time in as many years last fall. I reached out to a few people but the Merc they knew was long gone. I kept hoping for good news but mental illness is a terrible thing & Marc was finally caught by his demons.

Yesterday, Marc's family contacted me to let me know that his body had been recovered. My heart broke just a bit.

I can't say goodbye, Troll, just hoping to catch up a little further down the road. I hope he finds the peace he so desperately sought.
fullfloater
Fantasy
10th
5/30/2016 8:17pm
I traded emails and PMs with him back in the day too. A cool dude with lots of talent. Very sad to hear this.
flarider
5/31/2016 7:24am
Thanks for the condolences, but they shouldn't be directed at me, but towards his family and many friends. When Marc first came to the US, he stayed at MXKing and Breck's, then he went to California and it was Worm and B who showed him around and opened his eyes to California. Marc had friends everywhere and this loss is a loss for many people everywhere, I am only the messenger because I was asked.

Like many artists, Marc was a tortured soul who just really could never keep focus on one thing or idea. Marc had many ideas, daily, and I'd plead with him to just direct all his energy into just one thing, and he'd be a success, but he just couldn't do it, it's as if ideas came at him so fast and so often, he was constantly being pulled in multiple directions
500guy
5/31/2016 7:36am
flarider wrote:
Thanks for the condolences, but they shouldn't be directed at me, but towards his family and many friends. When Marc first came to the US, he...
Thanks for the condolences, but they shouldn't be directed at me, but towards his family and many friends. When Marc first came to the US, he stayed at MXKing and Breck's, then he went to California and it was Worm and B who showed him around and opened his eyes to California. Marc had friends everywhere and this loss is a loss for many people everywhere, I am only the messenger because I was asked.

Like many artists, Marc was a tortured soul who just really could never keep focus on one thing or idea. Marc had many ideas, daily, and I'd plead with him to just direct all his energy into just one thing, and he'd be a success, but he just couldn't do it, it's as if ideas came at him so fast and so often, he was constantly being pulled in multiple directions
Speaking of ideas, I remember him contacting me about building something like this, He was going to Cartoon the graphics and travel all over the country off road style.

flarider
5/31/2016 8:39am
I remember that, Jay

Told him he was nuts

There is one pleasure I, and his friends and family, can take from this is the attention, because Marc loved attention, he loved people enjoying his work, and he wanted nothing more than to share his passion. Money was never Marc's motivator, many times I told him he was undercharging and many times I told him people were taking advantage of him and his talents.

This thread, and your condolences, is what has Marc smiling upstairs, and beyond the Pearly Gates, as he had a good heart and I am sure he had no issue smiling at, joking with, and his golden heart making it past Saint Peter to the life eternal.

This thread is all Marc ever wanted,attention, acknowledgement of his work and talent

So, not that I can speak on his behalf, THANK YOU
G-man
5/31/2016 9:17am
Very sad to hear about Marc.

I remember him well and how talented he was.
My condolences to his Family and Friends.....
whack63
5/31/2016 9:34am
So very sorry to hear the news. Marc was extremely talented and will be missed by many.
mxjef
5/31/2016 4:46pm
Still in shock after Worm telling me the news. Sad
Last I talked to him was probably about two years ago when he called about coming to So. Cal. maybe and seeing if he could stay at my place, never heard back from him after that.
When he moved out here in I guess it was the early 2000's and was renting a room from my friend Jeff Mason, he would come out to HB sometimes and we'd head downtown HB to Fred's Cantina on Main Street. The one thing I learned about Marc, Don't give him Tequilla! Grinning ...He will be missed, RIP. Sad
Weege
5/31/2016 6:21pm

Wow what a shocker. Marc always had good ideas and his drawings were amazing. He did a few projects with MX Sports through the years, including a Moto Heroes comic strip that ran in Racer X for awhile. He created kids characters working their way to Loretta's. Really cool.

About ten years ago he wanted to do some sort of moto trivia show on the internet. He asked if I could so some voice overs for it and even created this drawing of me as a game show host. I didn't even ask for it, he just drew it up and gave it to me, free of charge. Never heard from him again, though, not sure if he ever got that trivia show thing going anywhere.

Very sad. Very tragic. An amazing talent and although I only spoke with him a few times, seemed like a good person. My best to his family.

Post a reply to: In Memorial - RIP RacerBoy, Marc Estabooks

The Latest