Imagine the NFL without

reynardfan1
Fantasy
3676th
10/22/2016 9:10am
olds cool wrote:
Imagine winning 12-14 races and not winning a championship...
exactly...

maybe if they made the points a little different it would be more exciting.

points for Holeshots, laps led, and better spread for the top 3 of a race so a guy doens't win 8 races, have a mechanical and lose the points lead to the guy who keeps getting second...

dumb.

Here is an idea...

1st 25
2nd 21
3rd 19
4th 17
5th 16
6th 15
7th 14
8th 13
9th 12
10th 11
11th 10
12th 9
13th 8
14th 7
15th 6
16th 5
17th 4
18th 3
19th 2
20th 1
21st 0
22nd 0

Holeshot 3
Lead Most Laps 3

run that through the 2016 results, holeshot awards, laps led and see how much different the season would have been...or run it through 2011...or 1990...

just a thought
731chopper
Fantasy
355th
10/22/2016 9:25am
For f's sake, a championship chase is not a playoff system!

Motocross racers race each other every week during their championship season. It isn't comparable to a system where only 2 teams can play each other at one time.
Fourth_Floor
10/22/2016 10:04am
JM485 wrote:
Here's my good argument, this isn't football nor to I ever want it to be anything like football, baseball, or even Nascar. There's a reason I...
Here's my good argument, this isn't football nor to I ever want it to be anything like football, baseball, or even Nascar. There's a reason I ride and watch dirtbikes and not any of the others, I don't know why everyone wants to make this sport "mainstream" because mainstream stuff generally sucks. You're taking away the integrity of a championship by putting more weight on later rounds. To be honest, I've only been to races in earlier parts of the season so I'd be a little pissed off if the race I was watching had almost no effect on the final points standings. Not to mention it's a total slap in the face to consistent guys like Dungey who have earned their championships by being there week in and week out.
How can you possible sit there as a motocross fan and or rider and not support the sport becoming as mainstream as possible?! The more mainstream it is the more money can be paid out to the little guys that are struggling and going broke just trying to make it to each round. If you are talented enough to qualify to race a pro national main or make the night show at a supercross then you should be making enough money to AT LEAST live on and support your program. Shit, we have 3rd string field goal kickers probably making over $100 G a year taking 1/20 of the risk these privateers are. I hope to see this sport every bit as popular as the ball sports someday, it freaking deserves it.
stewie94
10/22/2016 10:42am
731chopper wrote:
For f's sake, a championship chase is not a playoff system! Motocross racers race each other every week during their championship season. It isn't comparable to...

Motocross racers race each other every week during their championship season. It isn't comparable to a system where only 2 teams can play each other at one time.
thank u!

The Shop

Indy mxer
10/22/2016 12:36pm Edited Date/Time 10/22/2016 12:38pm
731chopper wrote:
For f's sake, a championship chase is not a playoff system! Motocross racers race each other every week during their championship season. It isn't comparable to...

stewie94 wrote:
thank u!
Call it what you want. You're splitting hairs here. A chase is the racing version of a playoff. This isn't about what to call it.

It's about how to make the end of the season more compelling like other sports and racing series do.

Quit ignoring the elephant in the room and offer a solution if you have one. I'm not saying this a sliver bullet but it's time to shake things up a bit and try something new.

Bottom line is, most of the time the last few races are boring in sx and mx. I too want our sport to be as mainstream as possible.
But until the series becomes more exciting at the end, it will never be real popular. In every other sport the season builds to some kind of grand finale. Playoff, tourney, chase or whatever.
Instead ours usually get less exciting and ends with a whimper.

And, I think its time to end the 250 east and west bs. Put the best out there every week.
426Hemi
Fantasy
2757th
10/22/2016 2:24pm
JM485 wrote:
Here's my good argument, this isn't football nor to I ever want it to be anything like football, baseball, or even Nascar. There's a reason I...
Here's my good argument, this isn't football nor to I ever want it to be anything like football, baseball, or even Nascar. There's a reason I ride and watch dirtbikes and not any of the others, I don't know why everyone wants to make this sport "mainstream" because mainstream stuff generally sucks. You're taking away the integrity of a championship by putting more weight on later rounds. To be honest, I've only been to races in earlier parts of the season so I'd be a little pissed off if the race I was watching had almost no effect on the final points standings. Not to mention it's a total slap in the face to consistent guys like Dungey who have earned their championships by being there week in and week out.
How can you possible sit there as a motocross fan and or rider and not support the sport becoming as mainstream as possible?! The more mainstream...
How can you possible sit there as a motocross fan and or rider and not support the sport becoming as mainstream as possible?! The more mainstream it is the more money can be paid out to the little guys that are struggling and going broke just trying to make it to each round. If you are talented enough to qualify to race a pro national main or make the night show at a supercross then you should be making enough money to AT LEAST live on and support your program. Shit, we have 3rd string field goal kickers probably making over $100 G a year taking 1/20 of the risk these privateers are. I hope to see this sport every bit as popular as the ball sports someday, it freaking deserves it.
Who the hell has a third string kicker?

The NFL players have a union....big difference
Indy mxer
10/22/2016 3:30pm
JM485 wrote:
How can you possible sit there as a motocross fan and or rider and not support the sport becoming as mainstream as possible?! The more mainstream...
426Hemi wrote:
Who the hell has a third string kicker?

The NFL players have a union....big difference
Fourth floor makes a good point. As the sport grows and becomes more popula,r so do the payouts and it will benefit all the riders
Old&New
10/22/2016 3:49pm
Comical that we comparing our sport to nfl football where they play 5 seconds and then take a 30 second break. Shit the ball is in play less than 12 minutes during the entire game that spans 3 hours. A sport akin to watching paint dry like nfl football needs a playoff system. Supercross does not.
Ted722
10/22/2016 4:02pm
If a motorsport can't stand on it's own how will a Chase format "fix" it? Some of the best races this year (and others) were when the track design and dirt were another "opponent" for the riders. That's just one. Other format changes for the evening have been well documented as well.

At the time, I was one of the few in my circle of moto friends that appreciated McGrath's greatness. 20 years later those moto friends appreciate his dominance as well and ironically aren't fans of the Chase.

Point being is , sure go after the mainstream with boring tracks and a Chase points system, but you'll chase away core fans and, as we've seen with other Chase oriented racing series, mainstream fans are fickle.

I'm much more intrigued by Feld looking to add European rounds to the series.

Post a reply to: Imagine the NFL without

The Latest