Im learning to whip, have a question...

Sideways717
Edited Date/Time 5/23/2016 2:15am
Im whipping to the right. I start off heading up the jump at an angle ( / ) like so. As I start to take off, I lean to the left but it never goes really far. Its a 50ft tabletop. Do you guys pull the throttle side of the bar towards your chest or do you push the bike over to the right? Please help, Im only getting the ass end out a little bit. Im getting frustrated!

Thanks!
|
TriRacer27
Fantasy
44th
6/3/2010 6:38pm
when you say whipping to the right, you mean leaning to the right or kicking the tail out to the right?

BTW, I think RC did a How-to video with TWMX a few years ago on how to whip.
olddude
6/3/2010 6:46pm
Really hard not to leave a smartass post. Keep practicing and increase speed it"ll work itself out. The left to right to left again is pretty natural, let it come.

The Shop

Outsider
6/3/2010 6:52pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 11:18pm
Aren't we all?

I've found turn down style whips the easiest and most natural for me to do, I can't do a normal whip to save my life.

Like this...

Twitch Turndown Whip

RE: GUN | MySpace Video
Sideways717
6/3/2010 6:56pm
olddude wrote:
Really hard not to leave a smartass post. Keep practicing and increase speed it"ll work itself out. The left to right to left again is pretty...
Really hard not to leave a smartass post. Keep practicing and increase speed it"ll work itself out. The left to right to left again is pretty natural, let it come.
I knew people were gonna have a hard time resisting the flaming but its cool man. Just looking for some tips...

Ive watched that RC video quite a few times but idk if hes pulling the right side of the bar back or pushing it over.
Sideways717
6/3/2010 6:58pm
TriRacer27 wrote:
when you say whipping to the right, you mean leaning to the right or kicking the tail out to the right? BTW, I think RC did...
when you say whipping to the right, you mean leaning to the right or kicking the tail out to the right?

BTW, I think RC did a How-to video with TWMX a few years ago on how to whip.
Leaning to the left, tail to the right...
olddude
6/3/2010 7:08pm
olddude wrote:
Really hard not to leave a smartass post. Keep practicing and increase speed it"ll work itself out. The left to right to left again is pretty...
I knew people were gonna have a hard time resisting the flaming but its cool man. Just looking for some tips... Ive watched that RC video...
I knew people were gonna have a hard time resisting the flaming but its cool man. Just looking for some tips...

Ive watched that RC video quite a few times but idk if hes pulling the right side of the bar back or pushing it over.
I did not watch the video. But imho as with all things mx it is lower body. I have a hard time conveying the motion in words. Hang in there someone much better at explaining it than I will be here soon
mag23
6/3/2010 7:10pm
for starters please see the thread somewhere else today titled 'Medical Insurance'...Afterward, just ride... the faster and better you get, the more natural whipping becomes. It's not something you can be taught, you just have to go do it...
jimmie
6/3/2010 7:11pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 11:18pm

See? It's easy, any squid can do it!
FIREfish148
6/3/2010 7:19pm
Whips are over rated practice corner speed.
And seat bouncing.
raddad
6/3/2010 7:24pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 11:18pm
And seat bouncing.
very true, but they're fun and feel good! Its also good to keep the flow and keep loose. Not talking scrubs here but smallish whips for the over 50 crowd..Smile youn'ens go big!
jimmie
6/3/2010 7:25pm
And seat bouncing.
Corner speed is extremely important to winning races......................but what I wouldn't do to be able to whip like some of these riders. Even in my dreams, I cannot whip like them.
I stink!
TriRacer27
Fantasy
44th
6/3/2010 7:32pm
olddude wrote:
I knew people were gonna have a hard time resisting the flaming but its cool man. Just looking for some tips... Ive watched that RC video...

A bit of both. If you watch closely he leans to the left while at the same time, on the last 1-2 feet of ramp turns the bars to the right. This causes the bike's wheels to head to the right, while leaning it to the left. Just like if you were riding along and turned the bars to the right but didn't lean into it, your bike would lean to the left.

Then the bike is just going to float on its own and you will use your lower body to pull it back in. It's kinda hard to explain because it's one of those things you don't really think about what you're doing so sorry I can't be more precise. But the technique for the takeoff is lean left, turn right.

But like everyone says, practice. Maybe start off on a smaller jump but being more aggressive with the whip and build up to the 50 footer.
TriRacer27
Fantasy
44th
6/3/2010 7:35pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 11:18pm
Basically, do the opposite of this:

FlickitFlat
Fantasy
644th
6/3/2010 7:39pm
I'll give ya some advice. Baby steps. Try to find something smaller, something 2nd gear with a steep face and only 15 to 20 foot if possible. Whips are a progression, just like anything else you don't really want to get to far out of your comfort zone so learn small as well. Very small.

From what you said above about the direction you are wanting to whip, try just jumping normal and turn the bars to the right. On the way up start scoping out your landing of where you know you are going to land. Then just look about 3 foot to the left of it like that is where you are going to try and land and that will give you a feel of a very small whip. Progress from there and let your skills build without going all freaking crazy.
FlickitFlat
Fantasy
644th
6/3/2010 7:41pm
Chad Reed had a video when he was on Yamaha that got into some of the more complicated stuff. It was a good video but I couldn't find it with a quick search. You might look for it.
Sideways717
6/3/2010 7:44pm
Lol! Thanks a lot triracer, that makes a lot of sense! And the video is hilarious!!
raddad
6/3/2010 7:47pm
KW has a how to video also, maybe on TWMX or??
jleews6
6/3/2010 7:50pm
Take your time and just work on riding the bike. Stuff like scrubs and whips will come to you as time goes on. My son has been riding for three years and is just now getting the whips down.Here is a vid he made of him and his friend whippin it.Be safe!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aScbjI3COiA
Jabjr222
6/3/2010 7:53pm
I will say I almost didn't open this thread figuring it would be going poorly with lots of bashing. Anyone else expect the same thing?

Find a table or double into a corner and imagine trying to turn the bike in the air. That may be a good way to start to visualize it and help your body move the bike. May be easier than looking down a straightaway.
FLmxer
Fantasy
905th
6/3/2010 7:54pm
I am whipping it better at 36 than ever which is not great but fun to try and sometimes it is "accidently" really good. My buddy took this shot this week. I just kind of carve at an angle up the face and you can tell where my line in the face of the jump is because it is angled. (ruts in face): ll\llll Good times.

Sideways717
6/3/2010 8:01pm
Jabjr222 wrote:
I will say I almost didn't open this thread figuring it would be going poorly with lots of bashing. Anyone else expect the same thing? Find...
I will say I almost didn't open this thread figuring it would be going poorly with lots of bashing. Anyone else expect the same thing?

Find a table or double into a corner and imagine trying to turn the bike in the air. That may be a good way to start to visualize it and help your body move the bike. May be easier than looking down a straightaway.
I took a chance with this post. I am extremely eager to learn this. I have been riding my bike for 3 years. I am comfortable on the bike I just can't seem to get it laid over...

Thanks for all of your posts and for taking this serious, I appreciate the advice.
moto314
6/3/2010 8:10pm
TriRacer27 wrote:
Basically, do the opposite of this:

I really did LOL when I watched this, I think I will watch it again.
robot870
6/3/2010 8:18pm
Jump straight and you will not eat shit!
hoppsan
6/3/2010 8:37pm
jleews6 wrote:
Take your time and just work on riding the bike. Stuff like scrubs and whips will come to you as time goes on. My son has...
Take your time and just work on riding the bike. Stuff like scrubs and whips will come to you as time goes on. My son has been riding for three years and is just now getting the whips down.Here is a vid he made of him and his friend whippin it.Be safe!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aScbjI3COiA
Nice vid! That scrub/whip at 1:38 was pretty sick too.
sdfog1
6/3/2010 8:48pm
I would compare it to when you first bunny hop a bicycle...You get really frustrated and then one time, after just pointlessly using all these different combinations of muscles, it just works. Then you know you can do it and you build on it very quickly.
level
6/3/2010 8:54pm
i have a fear of trying to scrub. Think the video's and info here might help me out. Looks like you lean to the right then handlebars to the left and vise versa for other direction. Would love to learn how to scrub. Seems pretty intimidating. Instead of scrubbing I usually compress my suspension to stay lower but scrubbing is effective also and looks very fancy.
chadwik74
6/3/2010 8:59pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 11:18pm
I know TP had said one time he can't whip very good and has a hard time with it....

The Rock
6/3/2010 9:11pm
I took a chance with this post. I am extremely eager to learn this. I have been riding my bike for 3 years. I am comfortable...
I took a chance with this post. I am extremely eager to learn this. I have been riding my bike for 3 years. I am comfortable on the bike I just can't seem to get it laid over...

Thanks for all of your posts and for taking this serious, I appreciate the advice.
Have you ever broken a bone during this three year period? If you haven't I have a feeling (I certainly and sincerely hope you don't) you might be experiencing this in the near future if you keep going down this path.

The guy that said to practice corner speed hit the nail on the head....unless you're on of those professional practice riders then best of luck with your whips.

Post a reply to: Im learning to whip, have a question...

The Latest