I'm done with motocross ,what should I do now?

Edited Date/Time 2/22/2016 1:58pm
Let me say this first I'm 17 years old I'm in 250B and 450B ,I have been racing since I was 5 I'm in no way scared of the bike, I'm not scared to ride either, I broke my neck when I was 14 at a LLAQ , I started racing GNCCs 2 years ago (I was racing woods on the side) I'M NOT GOING BACK TO MX I ALSO DONT CARE IF YOU THINK I'M A PUSSY that being said here's this
one of the guys in my moto crew severed his spinal cord , according to his doctors he will never be able to walk again, when I was growing up my grandpa was completely paralyzed from the waist down and I saw how much of a struggle everyday day things were. Enough about that what should I do now,

I'm thinking of drag racing my corvette on street legal night or racing GNCCs full time ,I don't want to spend the rest of my life in a wheelchair because of something I can do until I'm mabye 45, thanks

Please don't try to push me back into motocross because I'm not going back
|
mach6972
2/19/2016 7:13am
mxlifeline wrote:
Let me say this first I'm 17 years old I'm in 250B and 450B ,I have been racing since I was 5 I'm in no way...
Let me say this first I'm 17 years old I'm in 250B and 450B ,I have been racing since I was 5 I'm in no way scared of the bike, I'm not scared to ride either, I broke my neck when I was 14 at a LLAQ , I started racing GNCCs 2 years ago (I was racing woods on the side) I'M NOT GOING BACK TO MX I ALSO DONT CARE IF YOU THINK I'M A PUSSY that being said here's this
one of the guys in my moto crew severed his spinal cord , according to his doctors he will never be able to walk again, when I was growing up my grandpa was completely paralyzed from the waist down and I saw how much of a struggle everyday day things were. Enough about that what should I do now,

I'm thinking of drag racing my corvette on street legal night or racing GNCCs full time ,I don't want to spend the rest of my life in a wheelchair because of something I can do until I'm mabye 45, thanks

well GNCC will break you in half too. Have a baby and skip the married thing
ratonmacias
2/19/2016 7:16am
take time to clear your mind. then think about other choices
Sandberm
2/19/2016 7:16am
Well, seeing how you are 17, are you planning on attending college soon? That will probably take up a lot of your time.

I would suggest mountain biking as a physical activity to do.

Please do not take up full time beer drinking to stave off the boredom of not doing moto.

The Shop

Tpog496
2/19/2016 7:17am
mxlifeline wrote:
Let me say this first I'm 17 years old I'm in 250B and 450B ,I have been racing since I was 5 I'm in no way...

mach6972 wrote:
well GNCC will break you in half too. Have a baby and skip the married thing
Crashing fast cars has been known to cause a few issues with people's health as well.
moto455va
2/19/2016 7:22am
if youre done with motocross, you could always try supercross. Or arenacross.
2/19/2016 7:23am
If you life in an area with nice routes / trials mountainbiking can be a really enjoyable alternative to be honest. It's allot cheaper then dirtbikes to, my dad allways jokes instead of waisting money on gas now i just have to get some water to fuel myself lol ...
rt987
2/19/2016 7:23am
Buy yourself a DRZ 400 or equivalent enduro bike, and enjoy riding fire roads and adventure riding. It's an absolute blast, much safer, and cheaper.

Unless riding period scares you, then I'll remind you that you could very easily be paralyzed in your car.
NotCore
2/19/2016 7:25am
It's a tough situation you are in. I understand the risks, and each of us have to judge our own tolerance for them. And that tolerance changes on a regular basis, so you have to be willing to reevaluate periodically. My suggestion to you, and I have both 15yo and 19yo sons, it to take a step back and envision your future. 10 years, 20 years out. Take the steps now (at 17) to put the foundations in place to support that future. As you head down that path, you will find out what fits and what does not fit with integrity into your plans. But don't forget to live in the moment as you plan for the future. To some degree the risks we take give us life. The art is determining how much it takes to give you the feeling of living. And not all risks have life threatening consequences. There is life outside of moto.
2/19/2016 7:30am
If you don't ride motocross, feel that it is too dangerous, and have a bad taste in your mouth for the sport in general, you've actually come to the right place.
Old-Man
2/19/2016 7:30am
Are you phoning in your screen name?
Like ratonmacias said then reavaluate, look at it this way.

At 17 you'll need something that provides the same level of excitement and adrenaline that Moto does or you'll be right back on the bike.
It's a risk but that's what makes it the best freakin sport in the World

Good Luck with that
gharmon
2/19/2016 7:32am
mxlifeline wrote:

So you have a corvette at 17? Can I come be your parents other long last kid? Joking. I rode dirt bike growing up in the 80's. I didn't race as there was no way my parents were paying for that. We were poor but I always had a dirt bike. Grew up riding the power lines and gas pipe lines. Well hell we rode anywhere we wanted to really. Now days everyone leases their land for freaking hunting. Off my rant now.

Got married at 17 had a kid and another at 20. So we didn't ride. I got into drag racing in about 94 (23 y/o). I ran that scene for about 10 years. Drag raced my Mustang all over the eastern US for fun. I was never really competitive. Hard to race heads up without a lot of dough. Then in about 2004 my boys wanted to start racing motocross (they always had dirt bikes to ride). so we went on that ride and are still at it. Now I even have my grandson racing.

Twice last year I had wrecks (back to back) that kept me out of work for 9 months and 4 months sitting in a recliner non weight bearing. I'm left with nerve damage to my left foot and I can no longer shift up gears. I have decided that until I can have enough in saving to where I can comfortably be out of work for 6 months again I'm not getting another bike. I do have those awful thoughts of one of my boys or grandson substaining a life altering injury. But they love it and I love going to the races.

I've heard "with age comes a cage" and I've thought about drag racing again. Im old though and you aren't. Man car racing was expensive and gas was cheap then.. Hell VP race gas was only $4-5 a gallon. I say do which ever one gives you the biggest thrill. I really loved sidestepping the clutch at 6k rpm and dragging the wheels three feet high, then grab second and pull the wheels off the ground again but the dirt gave me a bigger thrill so it was motocross for me.

Have fun and enjoy life. You are only 17!!

And I'm really sorry for your friend. And yes if it was truly severed then their is zero chance that he will walk again. I'm also sorry that your granddad had to sit in a chair. As a granddad now nothing gives me more joy than spending time with my grandson at the track!!

Holigan
2/19/2016 7:33am
Boats and watercraft are a blast. At your age, plenty of beautiful women want to go out on the lake or river for the day. As you get older, you get to spend quality time with your wife and kids every weekend. Boats and watercraft can be as easy or as extreme as you want to make it.
49weasel
2/19/2016 7:37am Edited Date/Time 2/19/2016 7:44am
Don't be a pussy, which is what I have told a few friends that have quit because of their wife or injuries. I am 33 with 2 kids and there's very few things that could make me quit riding. I had an issue with my back in 2014 and after a few doctor visits I was told to quit riding. I explained to the doctor that anything that I replace mx with would be just as hard on my body. For me everything but work is tied to motocross so walking away from it would be tough. 98% of my friends ride and I have met some great people from motocross. The memories I have are even better and I hope to start making some with my son soon .

Take some time off and maybe go watch some races, you will be back in no time. Ride within your limits when you do.
Jarid332
Fantasy
1635th
2/19/2016 7:39am
Get a bmx bike
DoctorJD
2/19/2016 7:46am
Uncle Tony wrote:
Take up golf
Forget that, you can get struck by lightning.
WRH
2/19/2016 7:49am
Holigan wrote:
Boats and watercraft are a blast. At your age, plenty of beautiful women want to go out on the lake or river for the day. As...
Boats and watercraft are a blast. At your age, plenty of beautiful women want to go out on the lake or river for the day. As you get older, you get to spend quality time with your wife and kids every weekend. Boats and watercraft can be as easy or as extreme as you want to make it.
What he said... Watercraft are a blast and when you step off the water is a bit softer, waves will be like whoops and cornering takes skill. Get a stand up version and figure out how to Water MX it. On the hot summer days you get cooled off by the splash. Then your not racing but at least it can be made challenging.
On the other hand , as said before, "Golf" seems to be the retirement game that gets you out of the chair and on to the course for excercise. While your playing golf you'll be dreaming of shredding the manicured course and sand traps with a moto-crosser.. as you open another cold one.
MotoMalyDad
2/19/2016 7:50am
rt987 wrote:
Buy yourself a DRZ 400 or equivalent enduro bike, and enjoy riding fire roads and adventure riding. It's an absolute blast, much safer, and cheaper. Unless...
Buy yourself a DRZ 400 or equivalent enduro bike, and enjoy riding fire roads and adventure riding. It's an absolute blast, much safer, and cheaper.

Unless riding period scares you, then I'll remind you that you could very easily be paralyzed in your car.
Adventure riding is a blast .... pile up the camping gear and see the world
2/19/2016 7:50am Edited Date/Time 2/19/2016 7:50am
You can get paralyzed at any time doing anything.
Frodad78
2/19/2016 7:51am
Sell your bikes, Sell all your shit, find a job, earn a little money and go travel. Start small and visit other parts of the Country or really get after it and travel to other parts of the world.

Want a good rush? Travel to a region where no one knows you or can understand anything you say!

Before you know it you'll be married, kids, career and you'll be tied down. Go see the world while you're young.

WRH
2/19/2016 7:54am
If your quiting because your scared..then read 49weasel first sentence.If your quitting because there is no joy and no fun that's different. Step back and remake your goals and make them lofty and go get them.
Starcrossed
2/19/2016 7:54am Edited Date/Time 2/19/2016 8:01am
Holigan wrote:
Boats and watercraft are a blast. At your age, plenty of beautiful women want to go out on the lake or river for the day. As...
^^^This in the summer, snowmobiles and timbersleds in the winter...since you have the money.

These are a lot of fun https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeOs0Bt-0vE
hillbilly
2/19/2016 7:58am
I broke my neck,was paralyzed from neck down for about 2 days,little less. Got better over a few months and started racing again few years later.

Love it, it is what got me off like nothing else.

You could do what I did at times when I couldn't race, drink lots of alcohol and chase slutty women. It cost more and not nearly as fun.
Steve125
Fantasy
2787th
2/19/2016 7:58am Edited Date/Time 2/19/2016 9:26am
I drag race a blown 66 Nova and Road course my Z06 and my WS6 Trans Am... but still need my MX fix.. there will never be a replacement for MX.

Hut
2/19/2016 8:07am
Sports that I have been active in; Football, MX, Snowboard, Skateboard, Golf

Sports that have not sent me to hospital; Golf

I am 48 years old now so I got lots of great memories (also chronic headaches)
mx617
2/19/2016 8:13am
Frodad78 wrote:
Sell your bikes, Sell all your shit, find a job, earn a little money and go travel. Start small and visit other parts of the Country...
Sell your bikes, Sell all your shit, find a job, earn a little money and go travel. Start small and visit other parts of the Country or really get after it and travel to other parts of the world.

Want a good rush? Travel to a region where no one knows you or can understand anything you say!

Before you know it you'll be married, kids, career and you'll be tied down. Go see the world while you're young.

This. Travelling to Australia for a year when I bombed out of the physics program at University was the best thing I've ever done. I was 19 at the time, and picking up and flying to the other side of the world was a he'll of a rushSmile
IWreckALot
2/19/2016 8:16am
I have struggled a lot of times with the decision. I always go back to my riding style and I know I ride and race in a way that I mitigate a lot of the risk. There are always circumstances that you can't control on the track, but I haven't gotten into a situation where I have felt out of control in a LONG time. I'm buying a boat soon myself, and have debated whether that will fill the void of racing, but I just can't bring myself to quit.

Going into college, focus on a field that doesn't require a lot of physical strength. I learned at 20 years old that I would rather work smart and play hard rather than work hard and not have much energy to play.
2/19/2016 8:17am Edited Date/Time 2/19/2016 8:20am
You can get paralyzed at any time doing anything.
You can also die from anything
dsmith
Fantasy
1470th
2/19/2016 8:20am
you can still race motocross without getting hurt.....video games.......or.....race off road remote control cars/trucks....kinda similar to motocross with zero hurt factor...

Post a reply to: I'm done with motocross ,what should I do now?

The Latest