If you could pick any commentators

Falcon
Fantasy
856th
8/4/2015 4:28pm
Zoom wrote:
Had the privilege of working with Larry Huffman and Larry Myers at the Houston SX in the mid to late 80's. Learn a bunch from working...
Had the privilege of working with Larry Huffman and Larry Myers at the Houston SX in the mid to late 80's. Learn a bunch from working in the booth with Huffman. IMO, he was the best SX announcer of all time. I still use a few of his quotes every now and then....

"He's on him like a dog on a piece of meat"

One I don't use but was one of my favorites was, "he's on him like a krishna on an airport traveler".
X2. That dude was the most enthusiastic announcer ever.
How about, "Wardy's head spun around like the little girl in The Exorcist after that pass!"?

That said, the current crop of announcers is pretty good.
sumdood
Fantasy
1267th
8/4/2015 6:07pm
Pastrana

Langston (drunk a bonus)

Bailey

Caitlin Jenner trackside

bob567
8/4/2015 6:16pm Edited Date/Time 8/4/2015 6:17pm
After further thought my pick would be Denny Stephenson, Buddy Antunez, Phill Lawrence, David Pingree, Grant Langston and Steve Mathes. That would be entertaining and informative. Not a fan of lobster bisque Weigandt. To me he is the Ralph of the outdoors.
sumdood
Fantasy
1267th
8/4/2015 6:18pm
Zoom wrote:
Had the privilege of working with Larry Huffman and Larry Myers at the Houston SX in the mid to late 80's. Learn a bunch from working...
Had the privilege of working with Larry Huffman and Larry Myers at the Houston SX in the mid to late 80's. Learn a bunch from working in the booth with Huffman. IMO, he was the best SX announcer of all time. I still use a few of his quotes every now and then....

"He's on him like a dog on a piece of meat"

One I don't use but was one of my favorites was, "he's on him like a krishna on an airport traveler".
Falcon wrote:
X2. That dude was the most enthusiastic announcer ever. How about, "Wardy's head spun around like the little girl in The Exorcist after that pass!"? That...
X2. That dude was the most enthusiastic announcer ever.
How about, "Wardy's head spun around like the little girl in The Exorcist after that pass!"?

That said, the current crop of announcers is pretty good.
"More slippery than a mayonnaise sandwich"

"So quick he's even fast asleep"

"Only one thing on the planet is faster, a DOG running through Garden Grove !"

"You win a year's supply of condoms, ONE !!

Huffman was great

The Shop

8/4/2015 8:06pm
pilotdude wrote:
In my opinion Weege is on his way to being one of the all-time greats. He conveys excitement like no other announcer I have heard. He...
In my opinion Weege is on his way to being one of the all-time greats. He conveys excitement like no other announcer I have heard. He is a rider. And he KNOWS the sport. If you have never heard him do a RacerX podcast you should.

Then any number of riders to join him.

Langston excellent. K dub excellent. Ping a little more mellow and sardonic but still excellent. I would absolutely love to hear JT $. Fro excellent.
This ^^^

Exactly this.

Well, I'd put Ping higher; I'd take a Ping-Weege duo any day of the week. k dub is good but a bit more flat for me. Langston isn't Ping but he's really, really good, even after lot B. Maybe because of lot B.

We haven't really seen what JT$ could do if given the chance but he might steal the show. That dude is amazing and I absolutely love his podcasts.

Fro is good but I think he'd finish where I do normally: mid- to rearish.

We also haven't seen an Albertson but he could be damn good too.
kzizok
Fantasy
2068th
8/5/2015 7:08am
Lynn Nickerson

Erv Braun
d394
8/5/2015 8:21pm
Art Eckman, David Bailey, and Jason Lawrence...
Spydee
8/6/2015 12:33am
Art Eckman and David Bailey were absolutely legandary in their commentating. I'd love to hear those two in the booth in the modern era.

liamjumper
8/6/2015 12:46am
I feel like we gotta keep Ralph Sheheen in there. Honestly, he makes it a comedy show at the same time.
Spydee
8/6/2015 2:58am
dirtaddict wrote:
no bodies mentioned davy coombs yet ? he was good I thought
I used to love seeing him ride around the national tracks on his YZF giving us the on-board commentary, and you could hear him panting like a dog the whole way around, haha.

Post a reply to: If you could pick any commentators

The Latest