If I were to move to California ?

Excaliburbmx
10/21/2014 7:51pm Edited Date/Time 9/4/2019 11:46pm
where would the best place to move to so I can ride tracks, trails , race bmx, ride mountain bikes, be in an area with decent rent/housing cost.
Close enough to decent jobs etc etc.

I was looking to fly out and check out areas so me and the family can be close to as much riding opportunities as possible.

Is Modesto a decent area?
|
mxnick
10/21/2014 7:57pm
Sure, if you are a farm labor worker, or wish to work on Kenny Roberts ranch!
JM485
10/21/2014 7:58pm
I'm not to sure about Modesto since I live a bit north of there, but I feel like we have a decent amount of stuff fairly close to us. In 2 - 3 hours you can be in the mountains for some epic trail riding, or we can go an hour south and ride some technical sections and hillclimbs at Carnegie. If track is more your thing there is Argyll mx, Club moto, and Handgtown all within two hours, plus Diablo Mx (old Sand Hill MX) will be here soon. BMX used to be pretty big around here when I raced with tracks in Livermore and San Ramon, but I'm not sure if either are still running. Just a little bit of info for you about my area, good luck finding a place if you decide to move.
10/21/2014 8:01pm
Santa Barbara area has some really good stuff and the area is really nice.
Outsider
10/21/2014 8:07pm
You'll hate it, stay away

The Shop

bvm111
10/21/2014 8:13pm
You would pay a lot more taxes.... Enough said.

10/21/2014 8:15pm Edited Date/Time 10/21/2014 8:16pm
Marysville has 3 tracks within the city (10 mins). And a ton of trails to ride in the area (within 2 hrs), as well as probably 3-4 more tracks.

I don't live there so I can't comment on anything else about it. It is close to sacramento so jobs would be OK.
jloucks742
10/21/2014 8:45pm Edited Date/Time 10/21/2014 8:45pm
There are some good outer areas of sacramento that are decently priced. I moved from Sacramento to Vacaville a few years ago and like it here. A lot of tracks within 1-2 hours and you're close to the ocean and not too far from the mountains. AND close to San Francisco when you have world series tickets for this Saturdays game.
RandyS
10/21/2014 8:45pm Edited Date/Time 10/21/2014 9:00pm
Anywhere around Sacramento. MX: Prarie City, Sac Raceway(little Fri night races), 3 tracks in Marysville, Argyle in Dixon all within an hour. Trail riding, tons in almost every direction. Mountain Bike: Tons in every direction including ski area with lifts all under 2. BMX Roseville(Sacramento) which had the Nor Cal ABA national for years, Chico which has it next year, and Manteca both an hour and some change away and both national quality tracks as is Roseville. A little under 2 hours to the beach, same for the ski areas. And if you need to get shot Modesto is a little over an hour away, but you can actually stop in Stockton for that.
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2298th
10/21/2014 9:04pm
Any reason you are looking to move to Northern CA vs Southern CA?
10/21/2014 9:17pm Edited Date/Time 10/21/2014 9:52pm
If you move anywhere in California be prepared to be shocked by the cost of living here, and especially the cost of housing. In Marin County just the median cost of housing in the last year was $972,500 and it's not unusual for people to have these insane bidding wars with each other driving the cost up even more!
10/21/2014 9:22pm
jloucks742 wrote:
There are some good outer areas of sacramento that are decently priced. I moved from Sacramento to Vacaville a few years ago and like it here...
There are some good outer areas of sacramento that are decently priced. I moved from Sacramento to Vacaville a few years ago and like it here. A lot of tracks within 1-2 hours and you're close to the ocean and not too far from the mountains. AND close to San Francisco when you have world series tickets for this Saturdays game.
I was there 2 weeks ago looking at real estate in East Bay for a potential job I might be accepting in So. San Francisco. I live in an expensive suburban area near NYC and I was blown away by the costs of a decent house in that area. There were a lot of small 1500 sq ft 3 bedroom houses, almost no yards (look out your window and rig ht into the neighbor's house) with a price range of $1.2 to 1.8 million. Something similar to my modest 5000 sq foot NJ home and decent yard with a pool would probably be closer to $3 million in that area. First thing I did was map out the MX tracks and ski slopes.

I also have a friend, Royce, in Vacaville.. He drives a blue Pro-street 1961 Buick with white roof, no hood and a big 8-71 supercharger. Seen it around town?

mike
10/21/2014 9:22pm Edited Date/Time 10/21/2014 9:26pm
Sacramento area is central to all the fun stuff.
Excaliburbmx
10/21/2014 9:26pm
Indiana is a horrible state . I have lived here my whole life and it doesn't offer all the things I want out of life. I am wanting to move to where our activities would be more plentiful. We have three or four months we cant ride mx and have to drive 2-3 hours to race bmx indoors and the buildings are still cold.

Nor cal So cal I do not care I just want to be in the moto/bmx/mtb hotbed area. it isn't at all cool here for moto and bmx racing is lame. So to enhance my families life we are going to be looking out west.
NorcalVet
10/21/2014 9:38pm
... We live about 10 mi north of Modesto... in a small town (about 14,500 population)
-- that's the reason we moved here about 15 yrs ago; small town charm, excellent schools, low/0 crime, etc!!

bmx track: spreckles park in manteca about 15 mi north of Modesto http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2F1jbS7hXA

one of the best tracks in Cali (Oatfield about 15 mi from Modesto) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nwmkm-vl5pU

Lots of options, for trails and tracks within .5 - 1.5 hrs away
La Grange, Prarie City, Carnegie OHV parks about 15 mins - 1.25 hrs away

Lots of choices>>> Sierra mountains (Tahoe/reno) about 1.5 hrs away
Ocean/ Santa Cruz/ SF/ Caramel about 1.5 - 2 hrs away

Options are available; Housing is still afforable and jobs are out there
(depends on your job skills/ etc)
endurox
10/21/2014 9:41pm
try Idaho, lots of trails, tracks, bmx and slalom tracks. Low crime and a nice house for 300k in a great area.
Lived in Ca for 50 plus years, not many legal trails left in the socal area. Also Utah has lots of trails and a low cost of living.
Check out health, auto and home insurance rates in Ca. 2/3 less up here. We can ride year round in the Boise area. Desert in the winter and high mtns in the summer.
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2298th
10/21/2014 9:50pm
If all you want to do is ride, Southern Cal has a lot to offer and sunny days 24/7. Corona, Murrieta, Wildomar and Temecula are in the heart of moto land. Mostly tracks, I can't speak for off road areas. Those towns are where lots of pros live and affordable living situations.

I just came down to LA area for work and found fun mountain biking zones really close and moto tracks in every direction.

bsharkey
10/21/2014 10:04pm
endurox wrote:
try Idaho, lots of trails, tracks, bmx and slalom tracks. Low crime and a nice house for 300k in a great area. Lived in Ca for...
try Idaho, lots of trails, tracks, bmx and slalom tracks. Low crime and a nice house for 300k in a great area.
Lived in Ca for 50 plus years, not many legal trails left in the socal area. Also Utah has lots of trails and a low cost of living.
Check out health, auto and home insurance rates in Ca. 2/3 less up here. We can ride year round in the Boise area. Desert in the winter and high mtns in the summer.
that sounds great but Idaho is a right to work state and not many good jobs. sounds like your retired
Excaliburbmx
10/21/2014 10:23pm
Indiana; the not so good.

Crime is climbing bad
police are everywhere 5 mph over and your getting a ticket
water bills 100 bucks
gas 3.00 a gal right now
rent 1000.00 a month 3 br 1000sqft
bmx racing very small turnouts and 8 month season
indoor tracks 2/3 hr drive
mx tracks 2/3 hr drive odd hours
4 months of winter
road construction never ends in every major hiway for no reason
Lightning78
10/21/2014 10:40pm
NorcalVet wrote:
... We live about 10 mi north of Modesto... in a small town (about 14,500 population) -- that's the reason we moved here about 15 yrs...
... We live about 10 mi north of Modesto... in a small town (about 14,500 population)
-- that's the reason we moved here about 15 yrs ago; small town charm, excellent schools, low/0 crime, etc!!

bmx track: spreckles park in manteca about 15 mi north of Modesto http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2F1jbS7hXA

one of the best tracks in Cali (Oatfield about 15 mi from Modesto) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nwmkm-vl5pU

Lots of options, for trails and tracks within .5 - 1.5 hrs away
La Grange, Prarie City, Carnegie OHV parks about 15 mins - 1.25 hrs away

Lots of choices>>> Sierra mountains (Tahoe/reno) about 1.5 hrs away
Ocean/ Santa Cruz/ SF/ Caramel about 1.5 - 2 hrs away

Options are available; Housing is still afforable and jobs are out there
(depends on your job skills/ etc)
I grew up in LINDEN, talk about a small town lol.......I also grew up riding all of those areas especially carnegie and schaads. I thought Oatfield could only be ridden on race days and the day before?

Modesto is a SHITHOLE ....well a lot of it is, if you move to modesto make sure you stay on the outer-lying areas it is nice there.

Look into Londen, its small but you can get enough property to build your own track, Tracy is a good option bec its relatively close to the bay area and next to carnegie, club moto and relatively close to Hollister and 408mx Argyle etc..
Forza
10/21/2014 11:22pm
There has to be a better alternate. But I want to move to Vegas, so my option doesn't count.
KennyT
Fantasy
479th
10/22/2014 12:29am
I live in north San Diego county and absolutely love it here

It' can be 72 degrees in Jan or August. I never watch a weather report.....it is either shorts with tshirt or shorts with long sleeves. Ocean, mountains, deserts all within an hour.

Also the traffic down here is nothing like the mess up in orange, Los Angeles, San Bernardino or riverside counties
50dippin
10/22/2014 2:01am
Southern CA is where you want to be. Cities in east la county and west san bernardeno, like La verne, upland, rancho are right in the middle of everything. You have tracks like glen helen, milestone, perris, comp edge and many more within 1.5 hours. You also have pretty good trail riding near glen helen, lake arrowhead and of course you could make a 2 hour drive to ocotillo. BMX is huge here as well, even glen helen has a track now. Plenty of places to mtb, like snow summit for park and plenty of trails. Besides the traffic, terrible government and lots of shitty people, you really can't beat socal as far as weather and activities go.
jtiger12
10/22/2014 2:30am
Indiana; the not so good. Crime is climbing bad police are everywhere 5 mph over and your getting a ticket water bills 100 bucks gas 3.00...

Crime is climbing bad
water bills 100 bucks
gas 3.00 a gal right now
4 months of winter
If you think those numbers are high, you will find they are not. I live 40 minutes north of baltimore in a small town and a one bedroom rents for almost 1k around here. I would have to imagine California will be around the same. Good luck chasing your dreams. I wanted to make the Cali move when I was 23. Didnt have the guts.
dgmx
10/22/2014 6:05am
jloucks742 wrote:
There are some good outer areas of sacramento that are decently priced. I moved from Sacramento to Vacaville a few years ago and like it here...
I was there 2 weeks ago looking at real estate in East Bay for a potential job I might be accepting in So. San Francisco. I...
I was there 2 weeks ago looking at real estate in East Bay for a potential job I might be accepting in So. San Francisco. I live in an expensive suburban area near NYC and I was blown away by the costs of a decent house in that area. There were a lot of small 1500 sq ft 3 bedroom houses, almost no yards (look out your window and rig ht into the neighbor's house) with a price range of $1.2 to 1.8 million. Something similar to my modest 5000 sq foot NJ home and decent yard with a pool would probably be closer to $3 million in that area. First thing I did was map out the MX tracks and ski slopes.

I also have a friend, Royce, in Vacaville.. He drives a blue Pro-street 1961 Buick with white roof, no hood and a big 8-71 supercharger. Seen it around town?

mike
my sister live in emerson...fun fact of the day
dgmx
10/22/2014 6:07am
Indiana; the not so good. Crime is climbing bad police are everywhere 5 mph over and your getting a ticket water bills 100 bucks gas 3.00...

Crime is climbing bad
water bills 100 bucks
gas 3.00 a gal right now
4 months of winter
that rent seems good, but maybe because crime is so bad?
in Northern NJ i pay $1200 for a 1 bedroom prolly 700sq feet
wydopen
10/22/2014 6:11am

Crime is climbing bad
water bills 100 bucks
gas 3.00 a gal right now
4 months of winter
Hate to burst your bubble but..

crime varies where u live..my area is good but other areas in Ca not so much
police enforcement for the most part is pretty lax..especially on the road
we are in a huge drought..if you use too much water you will get fined..cant even water you lawn
gas just went under 4$ for the first time in years
for my area rent is 2,500$ minimum for a 3bedroom
BMX is still kinda popular..my friend owns the local track turnouts arnt what they used to be but they still race weekly
there is world class mx tracks close and world class mtb right here
no winter
lots of road construction here too..

trust me I dont blame you for wanting to move away from Indiana but I think you will be shocked at the cost of housing if you want to live in a nice area..the guys suggesting sacramento area are prob right..will have the best chance of cheap rent and still close to many activities
Kawaboy14
10/22/2014 6:15am
........you would be broke and your bike would have to be a lot quieter! :0)
Excaliburbmx
10/22/2014 6:32am
I just want a simple place. My family just wants more out of life.
I want to probably get a job changing truck tires or at a mx track or something. I have lots of skills and a work o holic.
We drag through the winters here taking the kids to trampoline parks 13$ an hour or bmx indoor trackshours away.
We need to move to where we can be outdoors year round.
I have seen several houses for rent in modesto and sacramento gor 1k to 1300 a month.
Kawaboy14
10/22/2014 6:43am
I just want a simple place. My family just wants more out of life. I want to probably get a job changing truck tires or at...
I just want a simple place. My family just wants more out of life.
I want to probably get a job changing truck tires or at a mx track or something. I have lots of skills and a work o holic.
We drag through the winters here taking the kids to trampoline parks 13$ an hour or bmx indoor trackshours away.
We need to move to where we can be outdoors year round.
I have seen several houses for rent in modesto and sacramento gor 1k to 1300 a month.
There is a reason people are leaving California for Texas and Florida. You could rent the same house in Florida for &400 per month. Shoot you can buy a house in Florida for 400 a month

Post a reply to: If I were to move to California ?

The Latest