If He Had A Couple More Laps...

1/16/2017 5:07pm
we would have seen the same finish, Roczen was riding smooth and clean. Dungey isn't going risk a sure 2nd this close in the season, he held the pace and had more in the tank, but all you would have seen is Dungey showing him a wheel. Bring on round three...
FARANG
1/16/2017 5:17pm
I don't think a couple more laps would have made a difference to Dungey. He's predisposed to play the long game, not risk 25 points by making an aggressive pass for the win in the second round.

Great racing last weekend, can't wait for the next round!
byke
1/16/2017 5:41pm
byke wrote:
And look how the extra laps worked out for Davalos.
aeffertz wrote:
Bummer for him, but come on...

I'd much rather have a longer, more eventful race than a shorter, uneventful race.
That was in response to the first post, which was only to suggest that it can make a difference, but I think you have that long/eventful and short/uneventful association backwards. A longer race gives racers enough time to properly sort themselves out and result in bigger gaps between riders (i.e. boring). If you really wanted to mix things up and create more intense racing, or more drama, you'd have shorter races and more of them. You could still keep the tv folks happy and run them off of time, instead of laps.
Phantom 661
1/16/2017 6:32pm
we would have seen the same finish, Roczen was riding smooth and clean. Dungey isn't going risk a sure 2nd this close in the season, he...
we would have seen the same finish, Roczen was riding smooth and clean. Dungey isn't going risk a sure 2nd this close in the season, he held the pace and had more in the tank, but all you would have seen is Dungey showing him a wheel. Bring on round three...
I fully believe that Dungey was willing to pull the trigger. However, I also agree that Dungey is ever mindful of the long game and weighs the risks vs reward first. Gotta say Ryan was showing all the signs that he was ready for an attempt. Was it too late? Not at Glen Helen couple years back it wasn't. Same approach, different outcome.

The Shop

RF145
1/16/2017 6:33pm
Awood wrote:
Was so bummed that dungey OJd the middle triple in the middle rhythm which caused him not to triple out, he could have salvaged it too...
Was so bummed that dungey OJd the middle triple in the middle rhythm which caused him not to triple out, he could have salvaged it too maybe but he made another mistake in the last rhythm when he double in sketchy and couldn't triple out. I'm a roczen fan but it was such a bummer not being able to see dungey go for it until the final corner.
GuyB wrote:
Agreed. It would have been interesting to see how it played out.
I really wanted to see which RD would show up on that potential last lap pass attempt. The one that stuffed Tickle last year just like Kenny when he shoved Ryan at the beginning of the race, or a cleaner attempt like KR's second attempt where he drove past RD.

I really wanted a little bit of rubbing to see if KR can take the hit like RD did. RD stilled tripled, KR not so much. Personally, I feel if RD "bumped" KR and went on to win, there would be a dramatic shift in this series.

Nevertheless, this event gave us 24 awesome laps......there may have been only one pass between them, but the anticipation of a pass was heart pumping. Hooray for 2017 so far.
Flip109
1/16/2017 7:19pm
Dungey is right where he wants to be. Guaranteed
trailrider
1/16/2017 7:28pm
GuyB wrote:
I wish Dungey hadn't made the mistake on the last lap. It would have been interesting to see the outcome. The pace both of those guys...
I wish Dungey hadn't made the mistake on the last lap. It would have been interesting to see the outcome. The pace both of those guys were pushing was impressive.

With another lap in the 250 class, we also might have had another winner. Hill and Plessinger were quickly closing on McElrath.
Hmm...
Turbojez
1/17/2017 1:05am Edited Date/Time 1/17/2017 1:06am
Dungey was on it and he already started doing what Dungey does best. I think we're in for some epic 1 on 1 racing in the 450's! Unless of course Marvin gets even closer, which he seems to be doing. Then it's going to get even more interesting.
1/17/2017 3:47am
If they lengthen the races, then the guy behind will just wait longer to make his move. The solution is to add laps, without telling the riders. They second place guy doesn't want longer moto's, he just wants them to be a couple laps longer than was expected. Wink
1/17/2017 4:41am
Awood wrote:
Was so bummed that dungey OJd the middle triple in the middle rhythm which caused him not to triple out, he could have salvaged it too...
Was so bummed that dungey OJd the middle triple in the middle rhythm which caused him not to triple out, he could have salvaged it too maybe but he made another mistake in the last rhythm when he double in sketchy and couldn't triple out. I'm a roczen fan but it was such a bummer not being able to see dungey go for it until the final corner.
GuyB wrote:
Agreed. It would have been interesting to see how it played out.
If Dungey hadn't have made the mistake and remained on the rear wheel of Kenny, how 'forceful' do you think he would've got? On the second to last lap, it did look as if there were a couple of opportunities that someone like Jason Anderson might have capitalised on. Maybe it's too early in the season for too much of that right now?? Second was good enough again at the second round?
tempura
1/17/2017 5:35am
Perhaps he waited until the very end to attempt a pass because he knew Roczen would probably take it back if there was time.
Claerhout
Fantasy
555th
1/17/2017 8:04am Edited Date/Time 1/17/2017 8:05am
RD didnt lay up all race lol. He rode his butt off, and waited until the last lap to push his limits because he had to do so if he wanted to win. When you push it, youre liable to make a mistake, which he did. I dont think weve seen that from him before, which means KR could be in his head, or just faster. Cant wait for next week. I hope RD gets the holeshot, and KR is right there.

Post a reply to: If He Had A Couple More Laps...

The Latest