Ideas and suggestions to make SX better

Canerat
Edited Date/Time 7/30/2015 6:00am
First of all, the money comes from the fans. More fans = more sales = more sponsorship = more opportunities. .better prize money and salaries.

We need to always keep the above in mind.

Supercross came after motocross and the concept was to put on a show. Keep in mind motocross is the root of racing and its hardcore racing but for SX I will suggest the following.

1. Slow the tracks down for safety.

2. Make the tracks super easy so everyone can go as quick as each other. This will eliminate some of the advantages of factory suspension thus closing the gap a little between the factory elite and the privateer.

3. Throw aways - over a 15 round series I would allow each rider to throw away their three worst rounds. Dungey would still win it and deservingly so but the points will tighten up big time.

Any thought and opinions from the professionals here?
|
TommyZ
4/5/2015 12:06pm
I like the idea of a throw away, but 3 seems too many.
bh84
Fantasy
1761st
4/5/2015 12:09pm
1 throw away, slower, more technical tracks.
MR. X
4/5/2015 12:14pm
Im confused how a throw away round would work. Isnt having a shitty week equivalent to a "throw"away?
Johnny Depp
4/5/2015 12:20pm
Because it never ends up with a close finish.

You cold also change the points to where 1st was only 1 point better than 2nd etc. to keep the series closer.

The Shop

4/5/2015 12:22pm
To slow the tracks down you really need to slow the bikes down.

If the tracks are made easier then you will see everyone going faster

What needs to happen if you want to slow things down is make the tracks harder.
I don't think the jumps need to be bigger but take some of the flow away from the track. Make it so you can't triple or quad a whole section of the track. Litter the track with singles and bigger whoops out of turns. Slow the bikes down. It's hard to go big if your working with less power.

Dropping 3 of your worst races would help tighten stuff up.

Factory teams are always going to have the mechanical advantage over non factory teams. It's always been that way and I don't see that going away unless sx turns in to spec racing.
Canerat
4/5/2015 12:29pm Edited Date/Time 4/5/2015 12:31pm
I also agree on the earn what you earn but im thinking with a open mind here to investigate any idea that could make the sport better.

In 2015 dungey would so far throw away a 4th and two 3rds and will still be leading as he has been most consistent. Reed could throw away his black flag and two other bad races tightening and bringing him closer to the hunt. The whole field would tighten up making for a better series.

Furthermore, slower, easier tracks with deeper bowl turns for passing would favour all and make for closer racing.
Johnny Depp
4/5/2015 12:30pm
The premier series doesn't need a bike handicap. In fact they should run whatever they want. Electric, 2 and 4 stroke etc.

It should be the the riders will figure out the fastest way, not the rules. Let them run sand tires too or trials bikes if they want.

Endurocross knows how to slow things down and make riders fall without getting hurt.

http://www.enduro360.com/2015/04/03/featured/superenduro-smash-ups/
Canerat
4/5/2015 12:42pm
To slow the tracks down you really need to slow the bikes down. If the tracks are made easier then you will see everyone going faster...
To slow the tracks down you really need to slow the bikes down.

If the tracks are made easier then you will see everyone going faster

What needs to happen if you want to slow things down is make the tracks harder.
I don't think the jumps need to be bigger but take some of the flow away from the track. Make it so you can't triple or quad a whole section of the track. Litter the track with singles and bigger whoops out of turns. Slow the bikes down. It's hard to go big if your working with less power.

Dropping 3 of your worst races would help tighten stuff up.

Factory teams are always going to have the mechanical advantage over non factory teams. It's always been that way and I don't see that going away unless sx turns in to spec racing.
Yeah...slow the tracks down by taking the flow away....I like that. How about a whoop section starting with a wall then another wall half way through and then ending with a wall??? A rhythm section with deep sand in between each of the jumps?? But most of all like you said, take away the flow. Forget the bikes, they aint gonna slow them down.
Canerat
4/5/2015 12:47pm
erikcrvjl wrote:
The series is fine as is
Yes the series is fine but small changes to the tracks like messing with the flow would add some interest for fans and riders. I mean everyone works the track out pretty quickly...so why not throw in some curve balls.
Canerat
4/5/2015 12:51pm
Jonnydepp, endurocross is endurocross..its own series. You dont want to change SX into another endurocross series.

I think the general consensus is rethinking track design with safety in mind.
JPT
4/5/2015 12:58pm
A point for fastest qualifier and a point for heat win.
Johnny Depp
4/5/2015 1:13pm
Canerat wrote:
Jonnydepp, endurocross is endurocross..its own series. You dont want to change SX into another endurocross series. I think the general consensus is rethinking track design with...
Jonnydepp, endurocross is endurocross..its own series. You dont want to change SX into another endurocross series.

I think the general consensus is rethinking track design with safety in mind.
I don't mean clone it. Highly technical obstacles that keep speeds low and lap times longer. Deep Glen Helen sand sections. Water pits with a crazy steep hillclimb thereafter. Random uneven whoops that defy timing. Maybe just one section per track. The track needs to be changing under the riders lap after lap. Corners full of bark chippings.
Toste
Fantasy
794th
4/5/2015 1:14pm
1. Less rounds (12 or so). Would make each round more valuable/interesting, while also putting "runaway" seasons like this one to a merciful end much sooner. Would also be less physical wear & tear on the riders and ease financial costs to teams/privateers.

2. Get qualifying out of the "Night Show". It's not 1978 anymore. The top riders are pretty much a lock to be in the main events these days, so there's really no suspense in it. The big names need to be out on the track more often, and in races that matter. Qualifying should be sorted out during the day, and the night program should be multiple short main events (like MEC) in both classes. It would suck for the fringe main event privateers, but based on conversation from the last Pulp show, there isn't enough money in the sport to support them being out there anyway.

3. Grid starts. Now that these guys are so evenly matched on lap times, starts carry way too much weight in the outcome of the races. Make it so the fast guys always start together. It should also move the riders & media off of constantly talking about the importance of good starts in interviews (Zzzzzz). I see safety advantages to using this starting method too (less pileups & mid-air collisions in the first sections of the opening lap).

4. As mentioned above, shorter races. Most 20 lap mains are fairly well settled by the halfway point. 10 or 12 lap mains would end right about the time the typical race starts winding down on excitement.

5. The "powers that be" need to pick a direction on the 250 class. Either make it a real class with no advancement system (like 250 MX), or go the other way, and get more aggressive about kicking guys out earlier. There is no way an elite rider like Marvin Musquin (who could easily win a 450 main right now) should be in any class that has a "point out" structure.

6. Slower tracks, with obstacles that force more errors, but not in a dangerous way. Maybe tighter turns and more jumps that go "up" instead of "out".

zehn
4/5/2015 1:19pm
People have been asking for slower, more technical tracks for quite a while. Then we got one with the Detroit SX, and everybody complained how dangerous it was.

BTW, all the suggestions in OP are ridiculous. Leave the series as is.
Canerat
4/5/2015 1:24pm
Toste..you bring out some interesting discussion points. Musquin should be out of that class.

Three 10 lap races to determine the overall result would be awesome.

The 250 class should be a development class. Stock motors with only pipe, mapping and suspension mods allowed.
Johnny Depp
4/5/2015 1:29pm
Toste wrote:
1. Less rounds (12 or so). Would make each round more valuable/interesting, while also putting "runaway" seasons like this one to a merciful end much sooner...
1. Less rounds (12 or so). Would make each round more valuable/interesting, while also putting "runaway" seasons like this one to a merciful end much sooner. Would also be less physical wear & tear on the riders and ease financial costs to teams/privateers.

2. Get qualifying out of the "Night Show". It's not 1978 anymore. The top riders are pretty much a lock to be in the main events these days, so there's really no suspense in it. The big names need to be out on the track more often, and in races that matter. Qualifying should be sorted out during the day, and the night program should be multiple short main events (like MEC) in both classes. It would suck for the fringe main event privateers, but based on conversation from the last Pulp show, there isn't enough money in the sport to support them being out there anyway.

3. Grid starts. Now that these guys are so evenly matched on lap times, starts carry way too much weight in the outcome of the races. Make it so the fast guys always start together. It should also move the riders & media off of constantly talking about the importance of good starts in interviews (Zzzzzz). I see safety advantages to using this starting method too (less pileups & mid-air collisions in the first sections of the opening lap).

4. As mentioned above, shorter races. Most 20 lap mains are fairly well settled by the halfway point. 10 or 12 lap mains would end right about the time the typical race starts winding down on excitement.

5. The "powers that be" need to pick a direction on the 250 class. Either make it a real class with no advancement system (like 250 MX), or go the other way, and get more aggressive about kicking guys out earlier. There is no way an elite rider like Marvin Musquin (who could easily win a 450 main right now) should be in any class that has a "point out" structure.

6. Slower tracks, with obstacles that force more errors, but not in a dangerous way. Maybe tighter turns and more jumps that go "up" instead of "out".

You sir are one of the few. We are a misunderstood minority.

1. No , Promoters would never give themselves a cut in pay. Id you can sell tickets go for it. I'm not sure what the right # is?

2. Hell Yes.

3. No, too non traditional. I would rather draw for starting positions randomly.

4. Hell Yes.

5. Hell Yes.

6. Hell Yes.
Jarid332
Fantasy
1635th
4/5/2015 1:30pm
I like the idea of more techinical tracks.
4/5/2015 1:34pm Edited Date/Time 4/5/2015 1:34pm
JPT wrote:
A point for fastest qualifier and a point for heat win.
Dungey would have an even bigger lead.
zehn
4/5/2015 1:44pm Edited Date/Time 4/5/2015 1:44pm
Jarid332 wrote:
I like the idea of more techinical tracks.
Were you not here on/after the Detroit SX? Did you not read all the comments about the track being too dangerous?
CR250Rider
4/5/2015 1:44pm Edited Date/Time 4/5/2015 1:45pm
More sand
pan the camera down the start line before the Holeshot.
just James
4/5/2015 1:54pm
Low speeds, and obstacles which are difficult for the riders to even get through/over absolutely bore me to death. Endurocross is fine in its own right, but I personally have zero interest in watching it. I would actually like to see higher speed tracks with low jumps, so that the riders are never very high in the air. Unevenly spaced/height whoops are a great idea. Starts are fine as is, LEAVE THEM ALONE. Building two lines into most turns when making the track, instead of just hoping that multiple ruts will develop on their own, is something else which I would like to see.
Oh, one more thing. 250 TWO STROKES WITH THE 250 FOUR STROKES!
hillbilly
4/5/2015 2:05pm
Bring back Erin Bates ,put her on the flagstand topless.
Tumblin
4/5/2015 2:25pm
erikcrvjl wrote:
The series is fine as is
Still, some nice butt whips by DD in opening ceremonies would be appreciated.
VET176
4/5/2015 2:28pm
just James wrote:
Low speeds, and obstacles which are difficult for the riders to even get through/over absolutely bore me to death. Endurocross is fine in its own right...
Low speeds, and obstacles which are difficult for the riders to even get through/over absolutely bore me to death. Endurocross is fine in its own right, but I personally have zero interest in watching it. I would actually like to see higher speed tracks with low jumps, so that the riders are never very high in the air. Unevenly spaced/height whoops are a great idea. Starts are fine as is, LEAVE THEM ALONE. Building two lines into most turns when making the track, instead of just hoping that multiple ruts will develop on their own, is something else which I would like to see.
Oh, one more thing. 250 TWO STROKES WITH THE 250 FOUR STROKES!
250 TWO STROKES WITH THE 250 FOUR STROKES!
Johnny Depp
4/5/2015 2:37pm Edited Date/Time 4/5/2015 2:38pm
Absolutely! Well elimination qualifier's.
MXant15
Fantasy
729th
4/5/2015 2:39pm
The answer is in my avatar.

HELL TRACK!
4/5/2015 2:55pm
MXant15 wrote:
The answer is in my avatar.

HELL TRACK!
I second Hell track! Or have tp199 design a couple. That would be cool. Race winner has to backflip the finish line jump!
Ing
4/5/2015 2:58pm
Only way to improve SX is to start the outdoor season earlier.

Post a reply to: Ideas and suggestions to make SX better

The Latest