IQ of current riders

Randy_Nix
8/28/2014 6:01pm
IMO pourcel takes the cake in the dim witted category. john dowd ( I know he's retired) seems like a really smart guy
8/28/2014 6:08pm
Randy_Nix wrote:
IMO pourcel takes the cake in the dim witted category. john dowd ( I know he's retired) seems like a really smart guy
I disagree. I think pourcel is possibly the smartest and it can he his downfall.
MJC
8/28/2014 6:10pm
I didn't know "American" was a language ;) I don't think people are saying he didn't know any English before he came over, but his way...
I didn't know "American" was a language Wink

I don't think people are saying he didn't know any English before he came over, but his way of speaking has improved a lot. Most guys don't lose the accent like he has so quickly.
Nope, one genius claimed he made it his bitch in 2 years.....

Just taking the piss on the perceived ideas of the yanks living in a bubble Tongue
8/28/2014 6:16pm
Dart Board wrote:
I disagree. I think pourcel is possibly the smartest and it can he his downfall.
Must agree, anyone who can look that slow and go that fast must be looking at things from an entirely different perspective.

The Shop

8/28/2014 6:17pm
Smartest guys would be Dungey, Brayton, Stewart, Peick, Reed cant think of any more Not so smart: Roczen, Barcia, Hansen, Hill, Grant, cant think of any...
Smartest guys would be Dungey, Brayton, Stewart, Peick, Reed cant think of any more

Not so smart: Roczen, Barcia, Hansen, Hill, Grant, cant think of any more
LOL

Yeah, the guy that didn't know he needed a TUE for an amphetamine is one of the smartest in the sport.
jim lehey
8/28/2014 6:20pm
Higher combined IQ?

All of AMA officials or all the team truck drivers?

machine
8/28/2014 6:28pm
AC
Short
Reed
Seely
Wiemer
Musquin
Windham
Hank_Thrill
8/28/2014 6:35pm Edited Date/Time 8/28/2014 6:36pm
Coming from an educational and professional background in psychology, this is an interesting topic to me.

The best inference of a rider's general intelligence is not going to come from observations on a track, but in interviews (language and vocabulary are highly correlated to IQ) . Interviews following a race would be a less reliable source, since emotions and exhaustion can affect cognition (e.g., rider ticked off by losing). In addition, holding foreigners to this rule would be a bad idea.

Everyone racing at the professional level has developed a specialized skill, so you could probably find a wide range in IQ among riders, if someone were to perform intellectual assessments on every dude racing in an AMA motocross national. I would suspect most the top riders in the 450 class to be in the high average and above average range.

Some psychologist argue there are multiple intelligences. James Stewart and Trey Canard are two riders I would rate high in comparison to their peers on spatial intelligence. Both of them have amazing scrubbing abilities, which is pretty mind blowing watching how close their foot pegs get to the lip on take off. Also, watch how close James passed by the MEC tuff blocks entering the stadium last year.

Ryan Villopoto, stands out as the most emotionally intelligent rider in today's era in regards to racing. He has great control over his emotions in stressful situations (e.g., championship battles) and has a balanced calmness about him, which I believe has been a great advantage throughout his career. In racing situations where other riders are probably becoming emotionally aroused, he stays calm, which results in smart decisions on the track. Justin Barcia and Damon Bradshaw would be examples of riders on the other end of this spectrum.

Pourcel, now he would win the award for most creative rider.
hvaughn88
8/28/2014 6:41pm
Any of y'all buy into the theory that the IQ scale is circular?
Huevos
8/28/2014 6:41pm Edited Date/Time 8/28/2014 6:47pm
Barcia is a pilot too...just saying.
Edited: he's probably super smart.
Huevos
8/28/2014 6:43pm Edited Date/Time 8/28/2014 6:47pm
machine wrote:
AC
Short
Reed
Seely
Wiemer
Musquin
Windham
Comment revoked. I have no relations with any of these riders and I have no room to judge. All I'll say is that K-Dub and Pastrana have seemed to be the most intelligent pro racers I've watched.
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
8/28/2014 6:45pm
Man, this is a no-win thread.
kiwifan
8/28/2014 6:50pm
I always thought Bayle and Baily were very intelligent riders
gharmon
8/28/2014 6:56pm
lol im Canadian, my first language is English... i dont need to type like an English teacher to be on vital... Smart people don't get into...
lol im Canadian, my first language is English... i dont need to type like an English teacher to be on vital...

Smart people don't get into internet forums like this. None of us are smart. That is why we race dirt bikes pal

Cant be too smart if you wanna be fast. You have to be a little bit dumb to go fast or else you will only think of consequences..

But sorry didn't realize this post was about how smart I am
Huevos wrote:
"Can't be too smart if you wanna be fast." Uhhh... have you ever heard of Travis Pastrana? He's the most reckless guy out there and I...
"Can't be too smart if you wanna be fast." Uhhh... have you ever heard of Travis Pastrana? He's the most reckless guy out there and I guarantee you he's in the 99th percentile when it comes to the level of intelligence of riders.

K-Dub was fast as balls and the dude always struck me as intelligent. (The fact that he's a pilot tells me he has a useful brain).

On the other hand, Justin Barcia has always struck me as a little dim witted, but there was a segment about him doing flight training (I'd be a little surprised if he actually passed a check ride, though).
That's what I was goona say even though he has made some shitty moves/actions on the track, he is a pilot. Also, in one of the magazines one time they had one of those general question contests (i.e. racer X does this with their Two Tribes) and he answered every single question with good answers and it come off with him looking quite competent. The article I'm talking about could very well have been a Two Tribes article I saw this in but it was several years ago.
2T42
8/28/2014 7:00pm Edited Date/Time 8/28/2014 7:02pm

"jim lehey wrote: Higher combined IQ?

All of AMA officials or all the team truck drivers?"

Funny on two levels. The post, but then, - the avatar. What I wouldnt give to be paid to be on film acting like a complete drunken slum lord! Mr. Lehey!!
machine
8/28/2014 7:00pm
GuyB wrote:
It's not a contest, just speculation based upon how they intellectually appear in interviews and their business success for me. Smile

There are many old school riders as well, DeCoster being at the top of my list for sure.
8/28/2014 7:05pm
Coming from an educational and professional background in psychology, this is an interesting topic to me. The best inference of a rider's general intelligence is not...
Coming from an educational and professional background in psychology, this is an interesting topic to me.

The best inference of a rider's general intelligence is not going to come from observations on a track, but in interviews (language and vocabulary are highly correlated to IQ) . Interviews following a race would be a less reliable source, since emotions and exhaustion can affect cognition (e.g., rider ticked off by losing). In addition, holding foreigners to this rule would be a bad idea.

Everyone racing at the professional level has developed a specialized skill, so you could probably find a wide range in IQ among riders, if someone were to perform intellectual assessments on every dude racing in an AMA motocross national. I would suspect most the top riders in the 450 class to be in the high average and above average range.

Some psychologist argue there are multiple intelligences. James Stewart and Trey Canard are two riders I would rate high in comparison to their peers on spatial intelligence. Both of them have amazing scrubbing abilities, which is pretty mind blowing watching how close their foot pegs get to the lip on take off. Also, watch how close James passed by the MEC tuff blocks entering the stadium last year.

Ryan Villopoto, stands out as the most emotionally intelligent rider in today's era in regards to racing. He has great control over his emotions in stressful situations (e.g., championship battles) and has a balanced calmness about him, which I believe has been a great advantage throughout his career. In racing situations where other riders are probably becoming emotionally aroused, he stays calm, which results in smart decisions on the track. Justin Barcia and Damon Bradshaw would be examples of riders on the other end of this spectrum.

Best answer we will see on vital.

I must say i agree with everything you said!
scooter5002
8/28/2014 7:08pm
The off season is a week old, and this is where we are already? God help us. How long until A1?
8/28/2014 7:09pm
GuyB wrote:
I know throwing out names in a thread like this ain't your style, but at the same time I would like to hear an opinion on it from someone who knows the riders like you do.

It is the off-season! Laughing
8/28/2014 7:19pm
Cooper Webb clearly comes across as quite the brain surgeon, impeccable grasp of the English language and phonetics in general. This is evidenced by his Shakespearen...
Cooper Webb clearly comes across as quite the brain surgeon, impeccable grasp of the English language and phonetics in general. This is evidenced by his Shakespearen podium speeches.
Cooper is a smart guy. Giving interviews on national TV isn't easy when you're 18 years old. He's a big student of the sport and I'm sure he will improve on the microphone.
motokiwi
Fantasy
269th
8/28/2014 7:50pm
IMO smartest would be:

Seely
Baggett
Pourcel
Wiemer
Canard
Reed
Brayton
ts.p311
8/28/2014 7:54pm
lol im Canadian, my first language is English... i dont need to type like an English teacher to be on vital... Smart people don't get into...
lol im Canadian, my first language is English... i dont need to type like an English teacher to be on vital...

Smart people don't get into internet forums like this. None of us are smart. That is why we race dirt bikes pal

Cant be too smart if you wanna be fast. You have to be a little bit dumb to go fast or else you will only think of consequences..

Huevos wrote:
"Can't be too smart if you wanna be fast." Uhhh... have you ever heard of Travis Pastrana? He's the most reckless guy out there and I...
"Can't be too smart if you wanna be fast." Uhhh... have you ever heard of Travis Pastrana? He's the most reckless guy out there and I guarantee you he's in the 99th percentile when it comes to the level of intelligence of riders.

K-Dub was fast as balls and the dude always struck me as intelligent. (The fact that he's a pilot tells me he has a useful brain).

On the other hand, Justin Barcia has always struck me as a little dim witted, but there was a segment about him doing flight training (I'd be a little surprised if he actually passed a check ride, though).
Yeah huevos was just saying that too.
dirtnapper
8/28/2014 8:02pm
GuyB wrote:
You dumped my KTM thread, but yet you let this idiotic masterpiece stay??

What the hell, GuyB, why is this thread even here? Pinch I'd like to learn your system of what gets dumped and what can stay.....seems pretty inconsistent. This threads screams Dumbgeon.
8/28/2014 8:06pm

Please... Stop now. Also, please don't admit to being Canadian. You are embarrassing.
MxKing809
Fantasy
315th
8/28/2014 8:11pm

MJC wrote:
At the risk of becoming dumber by being drawn into this discussion.......... You guys do know that most European countries teach multiple languages at a very...
At the risk of becoming dumber by being drawn into this discussion..........

You guys do know that most European countries teach multiple languages at a very early age don't you? Germany for one (have extended family from there) teach English when kids are little tackers in school. Roczen didn't suddenly learn to speak American when he hit the shores of US and A.....
Yup... Roczen has been learning english since he was around 8 or so. thats the age most of them are when they start learning different languages...
Yup... Roczen has been learning english since he was around 8 or so. thats the age most of them are when they start learning different languages in school. In germany you learn English, french and russian with an option for spanish.

But everyone on vital here seems to think he learnt it within 2 years... but hey they are all Einstein
Watch a video from when he raced Loretta's a bit back..... And even his first year here. He has made leaps and bounds in the past 2-3 years, regardless of the start point for second language training.
mark_swart
8/28/2014 8:11pm
MxKing809 wrote:
Kennys not smart!?!?? Dude made the English language his bitch in about 2 years flat. Why don't you have a go at learning German with no...
Kennys not smart!?!?? Dude made the English language his bitch in about 2 years flat. Why don't you have a go at learning German with no perceived accent? Good lord....
Exactly -- learning English on-the-job while racing. I have no doubt he is smarter than most.

Adam Cianciarulo also comes across as very intelligent to me.
dboivin
8/28/2014 8:45pm Edited Date/Time 8/28/2014 10:22pm
bob hannah. i would reckon he would bust out a good IQ score. highly intelligent man...little rough on edges but don't care what anyone says...that man was/is brilliant.
olds cool
8/28/2014 9:03pm
I submit that Ricky Fowler is the smartest dirt bike rider I know of...Wink "Just sayin'."
8/28/2014 9:12pm

Please... Stop now. Also, please don't admit to being Canadian. You are embarrassing.
Hah! Your a cool kid!

Were you expecting some sort of praise by saying that? Like really... What was the reason to even waste your energy typing that?
8/28/2014 9:47pm Edited Date/Time 8/28/2014 9:50pm
Coming from an educational and professional background in psychology, this is an interesting topic to me. The best inference of a rider's general intelligence is not...

I don't know if this counts against Stewart's spacial awareness, but one of his biggest weaknesses over his career has been avoiding carnage shortly after the start. Maybe he's just into taking risks to put himself in a good position early (unlike Dungey) or he forgets not to cross-jump, or he thought he was so much faster than the riders behind him that they're not in danger when he does it, but either way it's been a huge detriment.

Anyway, here are clips of a James Stewart spacial "fail" and a James Stewart spacial "win" within a year of each other.

Post a reply to: IQ of current riders

The Latest