IL MX D-17 - Banning Under 16 Again?!?

donman
2/25/2010 9:09am Edited Date/Time 1/19/2012 10:32pm
Hey, I just found this. Is this happening again. I remember last year, the MX guys came out in force and surprised the political peeps. Looks as if Rep. Mary Flowers (D-Chicago) is trying to do the 'ban the under age 16 thing again'.

From what I gather, the meeting was supposed to be yesterday, but has been post-poned until March 10th at 8:00 am. Has anyone heard about this?

Details were found from the following 2 places....
http://www.amadistrict17.com/
http://www.ilga.gov/house/committees/hearing.asp?HearingID=7065&Committ…
Copy and paste short version with [u]clickable URLs!!!...[/u]

ATTENTION RIDERS!!!!!!

Rep. Flowers

Introduces Prohibition/ Ban on Youth Riding/Racing

Here is what we did last year.....Click Here.

Click links below to send a response..

Hearing Date has been set.

2-24-2010........................ Next Wednesday

Click here for details

These people in this committee are the ones to contact. click link above for contact information.

Illinois House bill 5029, introduced by Rep. Mary Flowers (D-Chicago), would make it illegal for anyone under the age of 16 to operate an all-terrain vehicle (ATV) or off-highway motorcycle (OHM). The proposed legislation would also make it illegal to transport a passenger on an ATV or OHM regardless of whether the vehicle is configured for a passenger. The bill would also require ATV and OHM riders to have valid driver's licenses and wear helmets.

This legislation is nearly identical to legislation introduced by Rep. Flowers last year that ultimately died in the House Elementary and Secondary Education Committee.

The text of HB 5029 and a prewritten response are available on the "Rights" page of http://www.americanmotorcyclist.com.

This legislation was referred to the rules committee on January 25th. Additional updates will be posted as they become available.
|
DanDunes818
2/25/2010 9:18am
I thought this died last year? I guess I was wrong. I think what they do in the government is make you believe it died. Then just when you put your guard down they come in under the radar and push these wacky bills through while are guard is down. I dont know what this crazy Flowers person has against kids having fun off road but obviously they want to get this bill through. The way it was worded last time you would need a license to ride any and all off road vehicles.
Highsider
2/25/2010 9:22am Edited Date/Time 2/25/2010 9:23am
Wardy with the facts, in three, two, one...

G. Ward has recently mentioned her resurrection of the bill.
RACEGUY
2/25/2010 9:26am
Latch on to this like so many mean bulldogs. There is an attempt to railroad this thing and you people had better counterattack hard and fast.

Use all those resources...facebook...twitter...forums like this...slap this shit down hard and in a hurry.
donman
2/25/2010 9:40am Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 9:00pm
I thought this died last year? I guess I was wrong. I think what they do in the government is make you believe it died. Then...
I thought this died last year? I guess I was wrong. I think what they do in the government is make you believe it died. Then just when you put your guard down they come in under the radar and push these wacky bills through while are guard is down. I dont know what this crazy Flowers person has against kids having fun off road but obviously they want to get this bill through. The way it was worded last time you would need a license to ride any and all off road vehicles.
"The way it was worded last time you would need a license to ride any and all off road vehicles."

Still is worded that way!

The Shop

Blake
2/25/2010 9:56am
Between saving the world, and saving us from ourselves, I'm glad the only dirt bikes my grandkids will ride are on Xbox/playstation........../sarcasm........../truth/this country is in the shitter/we need street legal 2 strokes like Europe.
tcannon521
Fantasy
1301st
2/25/2010 10:54am
I thought this died last year? I guess I was wrong. I think what they do in the government is make you believe it died. Then...
It never died they just extended the start date by a year is what I was told last..
bigborefan
2/25/2010 5:54pm
it was voted down last year as far as i know, but she has ran it up the flagpole again,

i say we get the downstate reps to ban basketball, baseball and football for anyone under 16 as well, only in Cook County, that will rattle some cages in Chicago for sure
Short 43
2/25/2010 6:40pm
That's such bullshit. I hate liberals like that.
mxr102
2/25/2010 6:51pm
Wardy where are u????????????????
spd721
2/25/2010 6:56pm
Short 43 wrote:
That's such bullshit. I hate liberals like that.
Agreed, I wish we could shoot these people into the sun.
neysbo
2/25/2010 7:36pm
here is what I was able to gather up in regards to the hearing today. Not quite dead but close

The Flowers bill got tabled after we sat there for about an hour. It will be looked at in a sub committee next week. They figure that out after about 50 of us put in those statement cards at the meeting.

"From what it sounds like. the state of IL is in the education dept alone 950 million in arrears. And any bill with new costs will not likley get out of committee.

They had the superintendent of schools sitting there after the congress leader lady was in there. From the one question that was asked. they have ZERO dollars set aside for school books next year. not to mention there are many schools who are dropping pre K classes do to lack of state payment.

highely doubt any money or desire for ATV laws or bans"
Highsider
2/26/2010 12:04pm
neysbo wrote:
here is what I was able to gather up in regards to the hearing today. Not quite dead but close The Flowers bill got tabled after...
here is what I was able to gather up in regards to the hearing today. Not quite dead but close

The Flowers bill got tabled after we sat there for about an hour. It will be looked at in a sub committee next week. They figure that out after about 50 of us put in those statement cards at the meeting.

"From what it sounds like. the state of IL is in the education dept alone 950 million in arrears. And any bill with new costs will not likley get out of committee.

They had the superintendent of schools sitting there after the congress leader lady was in there. From the one question that was asked. they have ZERO dollars set aside for school books next year. not to mention there are many schools who are dropping pre K classes do to lack of state payment.

highely doubt any money or desire for ATV laws or bans"
Sounds hopeful. Please keep us posted.
SteveS
2/26/2010 1:03pm
Chicago politicians. Aren't they great to have around?
Torco1
2/26/2010 1:08pm
SteveS wrote:
Chicago politicians. Aren't they great to have around?

Post a reply to: IL MX D-17 - Banning Under 16 Again?!?

The Latest