I wonder if James will just get a warning? MLB does.....

rcm406
7/23/2014 1:44pm Edited Date/Time 7/24/2014 10:22am
give warnings for first time positive test for amphetamines? Is this MLB penalty rule or USADA's?

This was from USA today:

San Diego Padres center fielder Cameron Maybin became the first major-league player to be suspended for performance-enhancing drug use this season Wednesday when he tested positive for amphetamines.

Maybin, who already had tested positive once and received a warning, received a 25-game suspension without pay for testing positive a second time. Players who test positive for amphetamines are automatically given warnings the first time, and are subjected to subsequent testing and an automatic suspension if caught a second time.

"I have been undergoing treatment for several years for a medical condition, attention deficit disorder (ADD), for which I previously had a therapeutic use exemption (TUE),'' Maybin said in a prepared statement. "Unfortunately, in my attempts to switch back to a medicine that had been previously OK'd, I neglected to follow all the rules and as a result I tested positive.

|
hvaughn88
7/23/2014 2:05pm
rcm406 wrote:
give warnings for first time positive test for amphetamines? Is this MLB penalty rule or USADA's? This was from USA today: San Diego Padres center fielder...
give warnings for first time positive test for amphetamines? Is this MLB penalty rule or USADA's?

This was from USA today:

San Diego Padres center fielder Cameron Maybin became the first major-league player to be suspended for performance-enhancing drug use this season Wednesday when he tested positive for amphetamines.

Maybin, who already had tested positive once and received a warning, received a 25-game suspension without pay for testing positive a second time. Players who test positive for amphetamines are automatically given warnings the first time, and are subjected to subsequent testing and an automatic suspension if caught a second time.

"I have been undergoing treatment for several years for a medical condition, attention deficit disorder (ADD), for which I previously had a therapeutic use exemption (TUE),'' Maybin said in a prepared statement. "Unfortunately, in my attempts to switch back to a medicine that had been previously OK'd, I neglected to follow all the rules and as a result I tested positive.

I believe that's an MLB penalty. I think the MLB used a joint drug treatment program that is more in their own control and a combo platter of the player's union and the commissioner.

Trusted source in all things accurate, Wikipedia, haha:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_League_Baseball_drug_policy
2thefront
7/24/2014 2:36am
It's all about being union. They can have more say in penalties.

If Maybin is telling the truth he must be dumb because he should've received a warning the first time he failed and known he didn't have an active TUE. Or there's more to it...
IWreckALot
7/24/2014 4:57am
I just worry about having USADA and WADA around because MX and SX are tiny in comparison to the bicycle industry. And you saw how big of a nightmare that whole fiasco was. I don't think they'd give one crap about MX/SX.
7/24/2014 6:05am
IWreckALot wrote:
I just worry about having USADA and WADA around because MX and SX are tiny in comparison to the bicycle industry. And you saw how big...
I just worry about having USADA and WADA around because MX and SX are tiny in comparison to the bicycle industry. And you saw how big of a nightmare that whole fiasco was. I don't think they'd give one crap about MX/SX.
But as I understand it, it's up to the FIM to levy a punishment. I believe WADA simply determines guilt.

What a foolproof system. The organization that stands to profit from an event is responsible for determining whether its main attractions are able to show up.

The Shop

gsxrcr28
Fantasy
2671st
7/24/2014 9:13am
IWreckALot wrote:
I saw this earlier this morning.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/chael-sonnen-suspended-two-years-in-bizarr…

2 years for failing drug tests hugely. Makes James' "amphetamines" look like child's play.
2 years is a lot, but Sonnen has been caught numerous times for EPO, Testosterone, and a bunch of other drugs.

It's crazy to me that he would throw his career away like that.
7/24/2014 9:16am
if it comes down to it...feld will not be ama/fim sanctioned....
they are not gonna let the show go away....
Sandberm
7/24/2014 9:32am
This whole deal is absurd.

WHAT IS GOING ON? Whats the suspension? Lifetime? 2years? 1 race? Why cant WADA or the FIM put out a PR stating there is an apeal going on? Did i miss something? Is there an appeal?

This should all be spelled out in the rulebook and if it is not it leaves open the appearance that favoritism will be imparted for the riders that are stars of the sport and are viewed as the money makers.

Sorry for all the questionmarks.
Ing
7/24/2014 9:41am
The whole thing is a clusterfuck. Why bother testing if nothing is going to be done afterwards? Seems like a way to spend more money for something unnecessary.
Sandberm
7/24/2014 9:50am
If I bust a brick over GuyBs head they will send me to jail x amount of time. The powers that be do not figure in my monetary worth to society and then figure up the amount of prison time i get!

Whats going on here? This whole deal smells of corruption if you ask me.

Is Vlad Putin running the FIM now?
IWreckALot
7/24/2014 10:22am
I agree with Sandberm's posts. A clear written rule about punishments would be very valuable. First time, you get a $X fine and probation. Second time, X suspension and $x fine. Third time, lifetime ban. . . And different penalties for drugs that are on the Never Use list vs. the TUE substances.

For good measure, here is a picture of Putin.

Post a reply to: I wonder if James will just get a warning? MLB does.....

The Latest