If they intertwined the SX & MX Series...

twotwosix
Edited Date/Time 2/9/2017 10:13am
I think it would be really fun if the Nationals started in April and we ran Supercross and Motocross at the same time to intertwine the series. One wouldn't get overshadowed by the other and you would need to be a well rounded rider to get through the season.

Go like 11 rounds of Supercross, then a National, then back to SX, National, SX, National, SX, National, SX, National, SX, National, SX, National, SX, National, and then 5 rounds of Outdoors.

Crazy and illogical idea I know, (weather, logistics, availability of stadiums, teams, riders, promoters, ect) but it would be cool.

|
kkawboy14
2/9/2017 10:15am Edited Date/Time 2/9/2017 10:20am
Yep.....that's the thing they need, worse than a hog needs slop! I honestly think that would be the thing that saves the Outdoors and makes it close to being profitable for the privateers. Do the outdoors the week after and have it close to the last sx or on the way to the next sx. Open the outdoor track to the pros for 4 days of practice and camping prior to the event. Charge camping and spectators to come out and see the week long testing. Have some amateur, vintage and women's stuff that week during the week before.
ATKpilot99
2/9/2017 10:24am
The Nationals and SX used to overlap back in the 80s and they even had a Grand National Championship that combined the points from both series'. David Bailey won it in 83 and ran the blue #1 plate the following season to signify it. Not sure why they quit doing that.
twotwosix
2/9/2017 10:26am Edited Date/Time 2/9/2017 10:28am
ATKpilot99 wrote:
The Nationals and SX used to overlap back in the 80s and they even had a Grand National Championship that combined the points from both series'...
The Nationals and SX used to overlap back in the 80s and they even had a Grand National Championship that combined the points from both series'. David Bailey won it in 83 and ran the blue #1 plate the following season to signify it. Not sure why they quit doing that.
I wasn't old enough to start following Moto until about 20 years ago. Sounds like I need to look up some of the older series.
kkawboy14
2/9/2017 10:29am
ATKpilot99 wrote:
The Nationals and SX used to overlap back in the 80s and they even had a Grand National Championship that combined the points from both series'...
Gainesville sold their week to sx and the teams didn't like it, is the official word as to why it went away.

it was more like, your losing your week because we are going to schedule a sx, would you like to sell it to us?

The Shop

huck
2/9/2017 10:32am
Teams would never go for it...with having to change their bike set-ups so much.

Plus, I bet that it would suck for Feld having to haul different 'sets' of promotional items around the country too.
deluxeman
2/9/2017 2:26pm
Would never work, two completely different bike setups and too much expense. It would be like having NASCAR run half dirt track and half superspeedways.
philG
2/9/2017 2:33pm
Then you get guys who get injured and miss half of 2 seasons.
Motodork
2/9/2017 2:47pm
deluxeman wrote:
Would never work, two completely different bike setups and too much expense. It would be like having NASCAR run half dirt track and half superspeedways.
SO it wouldn't be like NASCAR going to Bristol or Sears Point? Because I think Nascar does go to those tracks every year right in the middle of the season like it is just another race day. Also not having time and the perfect set up is part of what would make it a better series.
jj welks
2/9/2017 2:54pm
Mx didn't exist in monster eyes lol... So many times Ralph and emig have to dodge around mentioning anything outdoors it's a shame
TXDirt
2/9/2017 5:12pm
This would be like finding a unicorn in the wild.
sleeve1
Fantasy
1966th
2/9/2017 5:43pm
Motocross gave birth to supercross, now moto is the unwanted step child.....
montesagold
2/9/2017 7:16pm
twotwosix wrote:
I think it would be really fun if the Nationals started in April and we ran Supercross and Motocross at the same time to intertwine the...
I think it would be really fun if the Nationals started in April and we ran Supercross and Motocross at the same time to intertwine the series. One wouldn't get overshadowed by the other and you would need to be a well rounded rider to get through the season.

Go like 11 rounds of Supercross, then a National, then back to SX, National, SX, National, SX, National, SX, National, SX, National, SX, National, SX, National, and then 5 rounds of Outdoors.

Crazy and illogical idea I know, (weather, logistics, availability of stadiums, teams, riders, promoters, ect) but it would be cool.

Great concept, I really like the thought of it but doubt we would ever see it. The first year I went to bike week (12years old, 1996) was the last year the Nationals started with Gatorback the week before Daytona SX. Teams bitched, logistics was a problem but got a chance to seek out a few private practice tracks built just for the occasion of dialing in the bikes... cool times
TSCHAM101
2/9/2017 7:34pm
I think it would be pretty sick.. but, supercross tracks would have to be tamed down a little to prevent injuries which should already happen or find a way to slow the bikes down. And the only real differences would be suspension changes.. the teams already keep like 10 sets of forks and shocks anyways..

I think it would be sweet, gives more guys a chance to win.. because once the top couple guys get in a groove it's over.. at least this might change leaders more often.. the last few series have been snooze fests, sometimes I even fall asleep and I love my dirt scooter
mx510
Fantasy
1744th
2/9/2017 7:40pm
deluxeman wrote:
So you are saying the Cup teams run the same set up for Daytona that they do for Talledaga? Your comparisons are too far apart. Its no different than what Nascar does. Is there another sport that crowns 2 official champions a year? This actually makes sense to me, integrated series with 1 champion, like the rest of the world.
Flip109
2/9/2017 7:45pm
Always wanted this. Will never happen.
mx836
2/9/2017 8:04pm
TXDirt wrote:
Or anywhere, really.
mx510
Fantasy
1744th
2/9/2017 8:17pm
TXDirt wrote:
mx836 wrote:
Or anywhere, really.
I have heard they are everywhere at raves.
mx836
2/9/2017 8:22pm
TXDirt wrote:
mx836 wrote:
Or anywhere, really.
mx510 wrote:
I have heard they are everywhere at raves.
Majestic AF!
PFitzG38
2/9/2017 8:39pm
Bringing back the Grand National Championship series would be great!
ocscottie
2/9/2017 11:43pm
i have a pretty cool vid from 1988 when the series did overlap SX. There was also 250 and 500 series'. #BRAAAP!

doghouse
2/10/2017 5:51am
ATKpilot99 wrote:
twotwosix wrote:
I wasn't old enough to start following Moto until about 20 years ago. Sounds like I need to look up some of the older series.
They actually overlapped well into the 90s.
TheGetFresh
Fantasy
2551st
2/10/2017 7:05am
I've put a lot of thought into this concept and it offers a huge advantage that would keep the titles interesting through the year: 3 championships. A SX title, a MX title and a combined title.

You could have one rider when the sx, one win mx and one win the combined. Or a rider win either mx or sx and the combined while another wins whichever sx or mx title that rider didn't win. Or a rider could win all three and get a super series title or something like that. It would make strategy important and wouldn't kill a riders championship hunt if they crashed out a round or two.
kkawboy14
2/10/2017 7:12am Edited Date/Time 2/10/2017 7:12am
I've put a lot of thought into this concept and it offers a huge advantage that would keep the titles interesting through the year: 3 championships...
I've put a lot of thought into this concept and it offers a huge advantage that would keep the titles interesting through the year: 3 championships. A SX title, a MX title and a combined title.

You could have one rider when the sx, one win mx and one win the combined. Or a rider win either mx or sx and the combined while another wins whichever sx or mx title that rider didn't win. Or a rider could win all three and get a super series title or something like that. It would make strategy important and wouldn't kill a riders championship hunt if they crashed out a round or two.
The problem is you have 2 completely different companies/series that really don't care about the existence of the other. Why would they? They are in direct competition for sponsorship dollars, tv viewers, weekends and so forth.

We all just see it as mx.

The only way it will ever cross over and work is if the same entity owned both series, then everything would be put into working for the benefit of both series.
TheGetFresh
Fantasy
2551st
2/10/2017 8:34am
I've put a lot of thought into this concept and it offers a huge advantage that would keep the titles interesting through the year: 3 championships...

kkawboy14 wrote:
The problem is you have 2 completely different companies/series that really don't care about the existence of the other. Why would they? They are in direct...
The problem is you have 2 completely different companies/series that really don't care about the existence of the other. Why would they? They are in direct competition for sponsorship dollars, tv viewers, weekends and so forth.

The only way it will ever cross over and work is if the same entity owned both series, then everything would be put into working for the benefit of both series.
I'm not arguing the logistics of a combined series, just stating it's virtues. I gave reasons why it should happen, but I'm not arguing the reasons you gave that it won't happen.
kkawboy14
2/10/2017 9:04am Edited Date/Time 2/10/2017 9:04am

kkawboy14 wrote:
The problem is you have 2 completely different companies/series that really don't care about the existence of the other. Why would they? They are in direct...

I'm not arguing the logistics of a combined series, just stating it's virtues. I gave reasons why it should happen, but I'm not arguing the reasons...
I'm not arguing the logistics of a combined series, just stating it's virtues. I gave reasons why it should happen, but I'm not arguing the reasons you gave that it won't happen.
I totally agree with everything you stated, I was just pointing out why it will never happen or how it could happen.
twotwosix
2/10/2017 9:12am
deluxeman wrote:
It would be like Nascar racing Talladega one weekend and then going to Watkins Glen the next weekend.

Again, it'll never happen, but it would be cool for the fans.
Ozy
2/10/2017 8:01pm
ATKpilot99 wrote:
I remember this! We didn't even think it was odd back at that time. who knows!
Bearuno
2/10/2017 9:52pm
As people have pointed out - there was a lot of bitching and whining about Gainesville being in among SX, for a lot of years.

Not ever going to happen, this one week SX, next week Outdoors, or any variation of it.

Though, if FELD chose to buy the Outdoors (outright) from DMG, or at the least just bought the rights to run it, when it comes up for renewal , you could see anything happen. Most likely, the death of the US National Outdoors. One would think FELD could easily outbid MX Sports / DC & Co.

Easiest way to kill a rival series / open up an entire year to expansion of your series = buy / control the other series.

Be afraid my American Friends, I'd not be surprised one iota if this came to pass : US MX : All SX , All The Time. A tragedy just waiting to happen.

Post a reply to: If they intertwined the SX & MX Series...

The Latest