I was at Millville...Langston...

karnivool
7/22/2014 10:03pm Edited Date/Time 8/8/2014 8:20pm
When I got home from Millville...and heard how he 'called out' James Stewart on the broadcast I was kind of thrown off. I haven't ever seen an announcer go after a rider like that for something so minor...and I have seen many, many, many riders pull out of races without stopping to let the cameras know why until later. In fact I saw more than 14 other riders ride out of moto 2 without an obvious major mishap...

I personally thought it was a cheap shot at Stewart, with so little info I would expect an announcer to be a little more speculative and a little more professional until info came out. At least Weigandt always leads with 'hope ____ is ok" when someone goes out...Grant just went for the kill...maybe they have a history? don't remember them having direct issues on the track , other than Langston picking up a title after Stewart twisted a knee...(2007)

Stewart isn't the best at PR stuff, we know that...his timing is off most times...but if a rider were throwing up or had the Rhea would they be expected to stop and chat? The amount of sighs, comments, and other verbal responses that came from the hillside around me when it happened were enough to prove the double standard we hold for this 1 particular polarizing rider.

I know this will turn into a shit-fest like everything else on here but I don't think a rider needs to stop and explain everything to the cameras...we certainly don't get an interview with every football player they cart off the field...so...I don't get it...

IMO Langston was out of line as an announcer. Lost points in my book. (but anyone is better than that Bestwick dude...lol)

just my $.02
|
gsxrcr28
Fantasy
2671st
7/22/2014 10:25pm
Grant does a great job, but he jumped the gun a bit on that one.

We are in a need to know now world now days.

nytsmaC
7/22/2014 10:54pm
I'm a JS fan but it was bizarre and GL was right to some extent. Not a good time for James to "drop the mic."

There was something strange going on. I'm not sure I buy the dizzy/ disoriented excuse. If that were the case I don't get why he would disappear into his RV alone rather than seek care or medical attention.

I wonder if he didn't suffer some sort of anxiety attack or something that he doesn't feel comfortable being open about. I hope not, but that's my guess.
early
Fantasy
2139th
7/22/2014 11:01pm
It seems the production crew asked Stewarts team what the issue was and their answer was "we dont know", thats what Geogia Lindsey said in the broadcast. There was no mention of dizziness. Its not good when the sports biggest star (its true, he is the only rider my barely-moto-interested friends know) quits a race without giving a reason. This is the issue GL was addressing.

It did seem like a bizarre commentary but not without reason.
7/22/2014 11:09pm
You guys over speculate on here too much. He probably was either stressed out, not feeling it, or both.

The Shop

bvm111
7/22/2014 11:22pm
God you guys are a bunch of pansies.... Seriously.

You guys will complain about annnyyyyyy-thing. Come out from behind your mamas skirt and let your nuts drop.... It's ok to be a man.... It feels good!

Grant was right and it was refreshing.... The truth will set you free!!!!!!

bd
7/22/2014 11:45pm
bvm111 wrote:
God you guys are a bunch of pansies.... Seriously. You guys will complain about annnyyyyyy-thing. Come out from behind your mamas skirt and let your nuts...
God you guys are a bunch of pansies.... Seriously.

You guys will complain about annnyyyyyy-thing. Come out from behind your mamas skirt and let your nuts drop.... It's ok to be a man.... It feels good!

Grant was right and it was refreshing.... The truth will set you free!!!!!!

I disagree. GL jumped the gun and did not know what the fuck was going on. If this sport wants to expand sponsorship to say Rolex, Jaguar, BNP Parabas, Goldman Sachs, GE etc, the broadcast has to be refined. How do Steve Young and Troy Aikman call games?

Is this sport going to be niche sport?
Is it mainstream?

I'll take Emig over GL period. GL is average.

Crush
7/23/2014 12:20am
Wondered if it had been talked about here but I was late watching the 2nd motos so couldn't see anything.

I thought it was front street, but GL is known for that, and I'd guess it could also be a comment based on James' past history of just shutting up shop when he has issues. He's the polar opposite of Reed in that respect, Chad will talk and tell you he's doing shitty, if James' doing shitty, he says nada.

No one should be upset about it tho, GL is a colour commentator, he's there to comment!
FIREfish148
7/23/2014 2:33am
It's crazy to me how much these announcers pail in comparison to David Baily's commentating. Emig and Weege worked really well together. It was just a bummer to hear GL jump James shit like that. Let James be James. That's what the kid was feeling. We got an update from Mike Webb so that should have been cool. I'm sure they weren't expecting the TV crew to be in the pits... during the race.. asking James for an interview.

That's like knocking on a neighbors door on halloween and getting mad because they don't have candy. The dude isn't obligated to do a friggin interview at the drop of a hat. It's our privilege to get the interviews we do.
RedDirtDog
7/23/2014 2:57am
yeah Baily was awesome but i'd take emig over langston
ChrisB10
7/23/2014 3:09am
You guys over speculate on here too much. He probably was either stressed out, not feeling it, or both.
huh? Did you even read the OP's comments? Your point was his point.
MXD
7/23/2014 4:10am
GL has already worn off on me.
downard254
7/23/2014 4:36am
I'm still digging Grant. In todays world of not saying anything for fear of offending someone, I'm ok with his comment. I mean I like Stewart, but the drama that surrounds his camp makes me think Grant should have said "Now what's the problem".
hvaughn88
7/23/2014 4:46am
It's crazy to me how much these announcers pail in comparison to David Baily's commentating. Emig and Weege worked really well together. It was just a...
It's crazy to me how much these announcers pail in comparison to David Baily's commentating. Emig and Weege worked really well together. It was just a bummer to hear GL jump James shit like that. Let James be James. That's what the kid was feeling. We got an update from Mike Webb so that should have been cool. I'm sure they weren't expecting the TV crew to be in the pits... during the race.. asking James for an interview.

That's like knocking on a neighbors door on halloween and getting mad because they don't have candy. The dude isn't obligated to do a friggin interview at the drop of a hat. It's our privilege to get the interviews we do.
I guess that's where I disagree with you. This is supposed to be a professional sport. The top of the mountain. The pinnacle of the sport. At the professional ranks of other sports, you are expected to do interviews at the drop of a hat. And when you don't, a lot of times you get fined and/or the ridicule is much worse than what GL said about James. James is supposed to be the most recognizable and far-reaching rider in our sport. He's the "lebron" of moto (from a popularity standpoint) and I would imagine lebron would be more than happy if he only had to deal with the amount of scrutiny James does. In my opinion, these riders have it pretty easy, from a PR standpoint.
IWreckALot
7/23/2014 4:55am
early wrote:
It seems the production crew asked Stewarts team what the issue was and their answer was "we dont know", thats what Geogia Lindsey said in the...
It seems the production crew asked Stewarts team what the issue was and their answer was "we dont know", thats what Geogia Lindsey said in the broadcast. There was no mention of dizziness. Its not good when the sports biggest star (its true, he is the only rider my barely-moto-interested friends know) quits a race without giving a reason. This is the issue GL was addressing.

It did seem like a bizarre commentary but not without reason.
Ha. That's true. When I ask people if they watch MX or SX they say that they've seen it on TV but don't watch it regularly. The very next thing they ask is "Is that black dude still kicking everyone's ass?" I find it funny but I hate to answer the question any more these days.

Nytsmac - I could see it being an anxiety attack. Those do make you dizzy and a bit disoriented sometimes. I had one a few years back and have not been the same since. My doc prescribed me some meds but for a number of reasons, I didn't start taking them. I couldn't imagine having to deal with everything JS7 is dealing with while battling anxiety regularly.

However, I will give JS7 the benefit of the doubt. He said he wrecked pretty good in the whoops. No reason to doubt that he might have taken a pretty good digger and had concussion symptoms.
Crush
7/23/2014 5:00am
It's crazy to me how much these announcers pail in comparison to David Baily's commentating. Emig and Weege worked really well together. It was just a...

I think nostalgia is getting the better of you a bit dude... Emig was great, but GL is definitely more of a natural conversationalist, either either, I don't mind, I think they're doing great.

Your point about DB tho... Bailey ripped on people pretty regularly, especially if they weren't the front runners. He ruined people like JT, perhaps in a slightly more polite manner but he wasn't scared to say shit. In the later years too, I wondered how into it he was, think he was dealing with health stuff at the time maybe but he didn't sound pumped on anyone....

GL really is just observing the pattern of James not saying shit when he's not doing good.
mxdude105
7/23/2014 5:09am Edited Date/Time 7/23/2014 5:11am
I'm a big fan of Stew, was really hoping this would be his year to take back the title. That being said in this case I'm with GL. Everytime there is some sort of discrepancy, Bubba seems to just disappear and refuse to comment while his entourage floats the PR nonsense. Come on dude, be real with us.

EDIT: Btw, Yosh Suzuki put out a confusing press release saying that JS7 crashed on the first start of Moto 2 and that is why he didn't make the gate for the restart. I call BS on that, if you watch the footage, there he is in about 5-6 position crossing the finish line under the red flag, then he rides off after that.
Markee
Fantasy
2006th
7/23/2014 5:31am
I believe he hasn't gave a interview since the WADA drama. So why now does he "need" to give a interview?
huck
7/23/2014 5:35am
I thought it was funny...and James has a history of not giving interviews, so it was justified. It's nice and refreshing that somebody in motocross (media) has the guts to call out those that need calling out.
Bob693
7/23/2014 5:44am

hvaughn88 wrote:
I guess that's where I disagree with you. This is supposed to be a professional sport. The top of the mountain. The pinnacle of the sport...
I guess that's where I disagree with you. This is supposed to be a professional sport. The top of the mountain. The pinnacle of the sport. At the professional ranks of other sports, you are expected to do interviews at the drop of a hat. And when you don't, a lot of times you get fined and/or the ridicule is much worse than what GL said about James. James is supposed to be the most recognizable and far-reaching rider in our sport. He's the "lebron" of moto (from a popularity standpoint) and I would imagine lebron would be more than happy if he only had to deal with the amount of scrutiny James does. In my opinion, these riders have it pretty easy, from a PR standpoint.
There are plenty of times in football and other professional sports they don't tell you what's wrong immediately. The team said they didn't know and GL went off like he'd done something horrible. We did get an update before the end of the moto so it wasn't like they never said anything. If you want to proclaim this is supposed to be the pinnacle of professionalism, maybe Weedge should drop the whole word of the day thing. I know it's funny to those in on it but if you were to just flip on the channel and hear the announcer say his jersey is normally out flapping like a platypuses tail, I don't think professional sport would be the impression.
DC
7/23/2014 6:01am Edited Date/Time 7/23/2014 6:02am
There is no rule that says its mandatory to speak with the media when you suddenly pull out of the race, and I am sure James had his reasons. But it has been a very tumultuous summer for Stewart and he's a very big part of the broadcast and the fans wanted to know.

And this isn't the first time it happened that he did not speak to anyone -- he did the same thing at Unadilla in '09 or '10, the one national he rode that season, when he pulled out of the second moto and would not speak with Erin Bates during a live NBC network show. It infuriated the TV folks building the show and they are the same people in the truck now as that unfortunate incident, so maybe Grant was getting some earpiece advice from the show's director and producer.

I loved David Bailey and Jeff Emig, and I also thing Langston is doing a fantastic job in his first season. This is the first time he's dealt with such a big issue/mystery unfolding on live TV, same goes for Georgia. I am sure everyone -- including James and his own team -- were frustrated at that moment, What it was, I guess it can be better hashed out at Washougal this Saturday.

DC
MX Sports
7/23/2014 6:10am
If James would have just told his team this wouldn't be an issue.

I'm also curious why he didn't go to the Asterisk truck right away? Sudden and unexpected dizziness seems serious.
7/23/2014 6:16am
bd wrote:
I disagree. GL jumped the gun and did not know what the fuck was going on. If this sport wants to expand sponsorship to say Rolex...
I disagree. GL jumped the gun and did not know what the fuck was going on. If this sport wants to expand sponsorship to say Rolex, Jaguar, BNP Parabas, Goldman Sachs, GE etc, the broadcast has to be refined. How do Steve Young and Troy Aikman call games?

Is this sport going to be niche sport?
Is it mainstream?

I'll take Emig over GL period. GL is average.

Yeah, it's the announcing crew that is holding the sport back... If we had someone else in the booth Jaguar would be begging to sponsor motocross.

Emig comes across as vapid, but I guess that is what Rolex and Goldman Sachs is looking for.
FIREfish148
7/23/2014 6:22am
DC wrote:
There is no rule that says its mandatory to speak with the media when you suddenly pull out of the race, and I am sure James...
There is no rule that says its mandatory to speak with the media when you suddenly pull out of the race, and I am sure James had his reasons. But it has been a very tumultuous summer for Stewart and he's a very big part of the broadcast and the fans wanted to know.

And this isn't the first time it happened that he did not speak to anyone -- he did the same thing at Unadilla in '09 or '10, the one national he rode that season, when he pulled out of the second moto and would not speak with Erin Bates during a live NBC network show. It infuriated the TV folks building the show and they are the same people in the truck now as that unfortunate incident, so maybe Grant was getting some earpiece advice from the show's director and producer.

I loved David Bailey and Jeff Emig, and I also thing Langston is doing a fantastic job in his first season. This is the first time he's dealt with such a big issue/mystery unfolding on live TV, same goes for Georgia. I am sure everyone -- including James and his own team -- were frustrated at that moment, What it was, I guess it can be better hashed out at Washougal this Saturday.

DC
MX Sports
Well that pretty much clears everything up.

MR. X
7/23/2014 6:27am
No wonder the riders try to keep everything quiet . They're damned either way.
hvaughn88
7/23/2014 6:51am

hvaughn88 wrote:
I guess that's where I disagree with you. This is supposed to be a professional sport. The top of the mountain. The pinnacle of the sport...
Bob693 wrote:
There are plenty of times in football and other professional sports they don't tell you what's wrong immediately. The team said they didn't know and GL...
There are plenty of times in football and other professional sports they don't tell you what's wrong immediately. The team said they didn't know and GL went off like he'd done something horrible. We did get an update before the end of the moto so it wasn't like they never said anything. If you want to proclaim this is supposed to be the pinnacle of professionalism, maybe Weedge should drop the whole word of the day thing. I know it's funny to those in on it but if you were to just flip on the channel and hear the announcer say his jersey is normally out flapping like a platypuses tail, I don't think professional sport would be the impression.
I can definitely see where you're coming from about your "word of the day" point. Like you, I also think it's funny and I don't mind it. But I can see where it could be taken as unprofessional.
JeepnMike
7/23/2014 6:57am
nytsmaC wrote:
I'm a JS fan but it was bizarre and GL was right to some extent. Not a good time for James to "drop the mic." There...
I'm a JS fan but it was bizarre and GL was right to some extent. Not a good time for James to "drop the mic."

There was something strange going on. I'm not sure I buy the dizzy/ disoriented excuse. If that were the case I don't get why he would disappear into his RV alone rather than seek care or medical attention.

I wonder if he didn't suffer some sort of anxiety attack or something that he doesn't feel comfortable being open about. I hope not, but that's my guess.
First thing that came to mind reading your post:

7/23/2014 7:11am
DC wrote:
There is no rule that says its mandatory to speak with the media when you suddenly pull out of the race, and I am sure James...

DC
MX Sports
i think it was 2010 at unadilla (the race where desalle came over)

i agree about langston, i think both him and georgia are doing a fantastic job-langston is really knowledgeable and articulate. Cant argue with his racing pedigree and hes making a great commentator.

All we need now is a way for international viewers to get to see the 2nd motos Smile

the whole production of the championship is fantastic- the pre shows, the camera work, the commentators etc
cmf295
7/23/2014 7:20am
Grant was spot on IMO. In other professional sports, we hear why the QB or starting PG was knocked out of the game and what the extent of the injury may be. In our sport, we hear nothing. Mind boggling IMO.

Post a reply to: I was at Millville...Langston...

The Latest