I thought they stopped smoothing tracks out

jndmx
8/28/2010 6:22pm Edited Date/Time 8/28/2010 6:22pm
They came out with the dozers during intermission only but they did smooth it down in spots. So they ran 450, 250 and women then touched up a bit.

It looked pretty rough as the moto wore on but the sand is definitely not as deep as it used to be.
DanDunes818
8/28/2010 6:28pm Edited Date/Time 8/28/2010 6:28pm
jndmx wrote:
They came out with the dozers during intermission only but they did smooth it down in spots. So they ran 450, 250 and women then touched...
They came out with the dozers during intermission only but they did smooth it down in spots. So they ran 450, 250 and women then touched up a bit.

It looked pretty rough as the moto wore on but the sand is definitely not as deep as it used to be.
You being a local out there would for sure know why. So you're saying it's because it's just not as deep as it once was. I just remember in the past watching guys like MC tripple their way through the whole track over the deep deep whoops that formed throughout the whole track. It would sometimes look like they didn't touch the tracks for weeks before the nationals it was so rough. I remember 1st motos being 100X's rougher then the 2nd motos are these days.
jndmx
8/28/2010 6:34pm
jndmx wrote:
They came out with the dozers during intermission only but they did smooth it down in spots. So they ran 450, 250 and women then touched...

You being a local out there would for sure know why. So you're saying it's because it's just not as deep as it once was. I...
You being a local out there would for sure know why. So you're saying it's because it's just not as deep as it once was. I just remember in the past watching guys like MC tripple their way through the whole track over the deep deep whoops that formed throughout the whole track. It would sometimes look like they didn't touch the tracks for weeks before the nationals it was so rough. I remember 1st motos being 100X's rougher then the 2nd motos are these days.
They run a lot of races at MX 338, local MX, ATV's, heck they race 4x4's on that track once in a while too.
That is a lot of races to have to manage a track for so they have to work the surface and over the years the sand has slowly gotten to be less of the mix.

My kid has raced there since the 65's and I know for a fact we have taken home about 15lbs of sand over the years.....multiply that by all those local racers......lol

It's like erosion but there is still plenty of soft stuff on that track, TV doesn't do it justice.
Those are still 3 foot deep whooped up sections it's just that the bikes can eat that up now.
disbanded
Fantasy
1842nd
8/28/2010 6:48pm
Those braking bumps are freaking huge.

The Shop

jndmx
8/28/2010 6:51pm
The other thing to remember is that the 450's now run first so the track isn't as beat up when they start.

Watch the 2nd 250 moto that is coming on now....it is nasty.
DanDunes818
8/28/2010 6:52pm
disbanded wrote:
I agree at the end of the moto it was getting rough. At the beginning of the race it was a freeway though other than a few sections. I was commenting on the beginning of the moto not the end.
jndmx
8/28/2010 6:53pm
disbanded wrote:
I agree at the end of the moto it was getting rough. At the beginning of the race it was a freeway though other than a...
I agree at the end of the moto it was getting rough. At the beginning of the race it was a freeway though other than a few sections. I was commenting on the beginning of the moto not the end.
lol.....see my post above and watch the 250's it gets rough.
Sonny
8/28/2010 6:53pm
They brought in over 11,000 yards of sand before the day started. (According to the announcer this morning) They also back bladed from the second corner up all day today, where I was standing. Some of the biggest roller areas were cleaned. Honestly, if you hit an NESC or even a NEMA event, you'll see by the days end how this track can really get.
True the stuff sticks to bikes like crazy
eddie
8/28/2010 6:58pm
they need to work on widening the track .
Roscoe33
8/28/2010 7:04pm
now I understand....we have a National sand track here in Canada called Gopher Dunes and the sand is bottomless the whops get HUGE !
Southwick looks the same in the morning but by midday the whoops have sharp clay edges under the surface that hit really hard, it make sense that over the years the sand is thinner, 20 years ago the sand at southwick was probably like what we see up here
now.

Post a reply to: I thought they stopped smoothing tracks out

The Latest