I sure hope that 2018 Yamaha 450 is something special

machine
Edited Date/Time 4/23/2017 3:47pm
Because since 2010, that "revolutionary".... "ground breaking".... engineering cluster f*ck has left a long line of good riders in it's wake. The latest being Reed, Webb and Febvre. I don't care what anyone says, all 3 of those dudes are way faster than what they are showing. 2018 can't get here soon enough.

Reed has made hints about it, but I can tell he doesn't want to blow his last ride, by trashing it.

Flame away, but ya'll know it's true...DryTongue
|
rmoto003
4/23/2017 8:14am
But bro the mass centralization.... Bro...
JBecker 72
4/23/2017 8:19am
It's crazy how well it worked for the 250, and didn't work for the 450. Even the new 250 is kinda weird at first, but you get used to it quick, and it's a great bike.

I really have no idea how so many magazines had it win their shootouts. Oh, wait.....

The Shop

Huevos
4/23/2017 8:22am
Well to be fair Febvre won his only title on the same bike in question, and Reed has always complained about his bikes since 2006, except Suzuki in '09, but it wasn't good enough to persuade him to stay there.
Crush
4/23/2017 8:28am
JBecker 72 wrote:
It's crazy how well it worked for the 250, and didn't work for the 450. Even the new 250 is kinda weird at first, but you...
It's crazy how well it worked for the 250, and didn't work for the 450. Even the new 250 is kinda weird at first, but you get used to it quick, and it's a great bike.

I really have no idea how so many magazines had it win their shootouts. Oh, wait.....
Has to be that they're just light enough that the motor is an advantage that can't be overlooked... and that the 450s are too much that the weight and quirky-ness doesn't leave the guys 100% comfortable to push 110% all the time like maybe the other guys can.

MX is "not about the bike" but at pro level, comfort and setup is huge, especially now with four strokes minimising the effects of mistakes to an unprecedented amount... Look at the difference in Eli where it's just comfort and confidence in it.

Hope they found 5 kilos to lose tho!
machine
4/23/2017 8:29am
Huevos wrote:
Well to be fair Febvre won his only title on the same bike in question, and Reed has always complained about his bikes since 2006, except...
Well to be fair Febvre won his only title on the same bike in question, and Reed has always complained about his bikes since 2006, except Suzuki in '09, but it wasn't good enough to persuade him to stay there.
Well Mr Eggs, maybe Yamaha made some changes to try and fix the turd after that model year and made it worse, or better yet, what if the competition made more gains, while the Yamaha got worse or stayed the same. I don't remember Reed complaining about the Honda, or the 2nd stint on the Kawi either. Smile
machine
4/23/2017 8:31am
Crush wrote:
Has to be that they're just light enough that the motor is an advantage that can't be overlooked... and that the 450s are too much that...
Has to be that they're just light enough that the motor is an advantage that can't be overlooked... and that the 450s are too much that the weight and quirky-ness doesn't leave the guys 100% comfortable to push 110% all the time like maybe the other guys can.

MX is "not about the bike" but at pro level, comfort and setup is huge, especially now with four strokes minimising the effects of mistakes to an unprecedented amount... Look at the difference in Eli where it's just comfort and confidence in it.

Hope they found 5 kilos to lose tho!
Thanks, good explanation man..
Crush
4/23/2017 8:32am Edited Date/Time 4/23/2017 8:35am
Huevos wrote:
Well to be fair Febvre won his only title on the same bike in question, and Reed has always complained about his bikes since 2006, except...
To be fair, that isn't.

Febvre's bike is no rules held, so fuck knows what that is, what the frame is, what it weighs etc...

Reed wanted to stay for 2010, Suzuki couldn't afford to pay him and Dungey rode for peanuts...

and Reed raved about his bikes in 99, 2000, 01, 03, 04, 08, 09, 11, 12, 14 & 15...

And the bikes he really didn't love, the 05/07 Ali frame Yamahas and the 13 Honda, his team-mates all echoed the same sentiments. And the current gen Yamaha has basically given the heebeejeebees to more pros than any in recent history...

So you know, facts and shit.

Skerby
4/23/2017 8:37am
Its pretty good I think! It seemed like it was giving Barcia hell, but he has had worse results on the suzuki so who knows. Seems like a lot of riders blamed the big yamaha and then performed worse on other bikes. Chad isnt going to like any bike that he isnt winning on, maybe if Febvre switches bikes and then wins a championship we will know.
mx691
Fantasy
1185th
4/23/2017 9:02am Edited Date/Time 4/23/2017 9:08am
Febvres bike tested

As Crush said: factory...
And probably only good outdoors.
Huevos
4/23/2017 9:35am
Huevos wrote:
Crush wrote:
To be fair, that isn't. Febvre's bike is no rules held, so fuck knows what that is, what the frame is, what it weighs etc... Reed...
To be fair, that isn't.

Febvre's bike is no rules held, so fuck knows what that is, what the frame is, what it weighs etc...

Reed wanted to stay for 2010, Suzuki couldn't afford to pay him and Dungey rode for peanuts...

and Reed raved about his bikes in 99, 2000, 01, 03, 04, 08, 09, 11, 12, 14 & 15...

And the bikes he really didn't love, the 05/07 Ali frame Yamahas and the 13 Honda, his team-mates all echoed the same sentiments. And the current gen Yamaha has basically given the heebeejeebees to more pros than any in recent history...

"Raved"... he raves about his bike when he wins and whines about his bike when he doesn't. This year is a pretty good example of just that. Beginning of the year his bike sucked, Phoenix it was great, and now it's "shitty" again? It's a pattern with the dude. His opinion of his bike seems to be influenced more heavily by how he stacks up to his competition as a rider than objectively how his bike performs.

I know I'm talking to a Reed fanboy though, and I think he's a grade A bitch, so I digress.

Not defending the Yamaha, as I really couldn't care less.

Crush
4/23/2017 10:08am
Huevos wrote:
Crush wrote:
To be fair, that isn't. Febvre's bike is no rules held, so fuck knows what that is, what the frame is, what it weighs etc... Reed...
To be fair, that isn't.

Huevos wrote:
"Raved"... he raves about his bike when he wins and whines about his bike when he doesn't. This year is a pretty good example of just...
"Raved"... he raves about his bike when he wins and whines about his bike when he doesn't. This year is a pretty good example of just that. Beginning of the year his bike sucked, Phoenix it was great, and now it's "shitty" again? It's a pattern with the dude. His opinion of his bike seems to be influenced more heavily by how he stacks up to his competition as a rider than objectively how his bike performs.

I know I'm talking to a Reed fanboy though, and I think he's a grade A bitch, so I digress.

Not defending the Yamaha, as I really couldn't care less.

Imagine someone being stoked on a bike he's winning on. Fucking incredible!!!!

Even more shocking, a multi-time winner not doing his best, questioning a bike after a major design change?

WHO COULD FUCKING IMAGINE THAT!!!

And you conveniently ignored his teammates expressing the same sentiment I see, which would likely point to it as fact.

Where are all the quotes of him hating his bike this year? Phoenix was hardpack, long lanes and he got a start 5 places better than his average this year. He noted the change for the starting pieces but the rest of the time, he hasn't been able to overcome the starts, Neither has Coop or basically anyone but Eli for that matter.

He actually went as far as to say that as a 15 year plus pro he's having trouble adjusting to the method needed to get the Yamaha off the line consistently in sticky dirt... Bet you missed that tho.... just sounded like bitching right?

So instead of actually quoting any source material, you plainly state you think he's a bitch, whine about his "whining" and call others fanboys for pointing out your hypocrisy. Sheesh.

Check your sag bro, it's as loose as your sprocket bolts.
Crush
4/23/2017 10:13am
I don't care how good these Yamahas are. Just look at them. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/04/23/189854/s1200_redyzvanheobeek_1.jpg[/img]
I don't care how good these Yamahas are. Just look at them.

Tis a nice motif!

You ever seen someone with a hump at a local track? Must be weird to ride with.
machine
4/23/2017 10:16am
Crush wrote:
Imagine someone being stoked on a bike he's winning on. Fucking incredible!!!! Even more shocking, a multi-time winner not doing his best, questioning a bike after...

Even more shocking, a multi-time winner not doing his best, questioning a bike after a major design change?

And you conveniently ignored his teammates expressing the same sentiment I see, which would likely point to it as fact.

Where are all the quotes of him hating his bike this year? Phoenix was hardpack, long lanes and he got a start 5 places better than his average this year. He noted the change for the starting pieces but the rest of the time, he hasn't been able to overcome the starts, Neither has Coop or basically anyone but Eli for that matter.

He actually went as far as to say that as a 15 year plus pro he's having trouble adjusting to the method needed to get the Yamaha off the line consistently in sticky dirt... Bet you missed that tho.... just sounded like bitching right?

So instead of actually quoting any source material, you plainly state you think he's a bitch, whine about his "whining" and call others fanboys for pointing out your hypocrisy. Sheesh.

Coop has been pretty quiet about it, but I was watching him ride last night and he looks like he's totally given up, like saying "fuck this, I ain't gonna injure myself further by trying to make this pig fly."
machine
4/23/2017 10:18am
I don't care how good these Yamahas are. Just look at them. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/04/23/189854/s1200_redyzvanheobeek_1.jpg[/img]

Crush wrote:
Tis a nice motif!

They put that on there to try and help keep the rider from flying off when that bitch starts swapping...Grinning
Mx286
4/23/2017 10:20am
I find it so funny people bashing on the bike have more than likely never ridden one. Never ridden it indoors but outdoors that bike is really really good. Way better than the previous Honda's I've had.

The amount of bullshit people say that either don't ride or don't have a clue about anything is unreal.
Crush
4/23/2017 10:22am
machine wrote:
Coop has been pretty quiet about it, but I was watching him ride last night and he looks like he's totally given up, like saying "fuck...
Coop has been pretty quiet about it, but I was watching him ride last night and he looks like he's totally given up, like saying "fuck this, I ain't gonna injure myself further by trying to make this pig fly."
He's got to think he's got a shot outdoors. 250 champ, a couple good GP and MXdN rides on that 450 bike and regardless his SX series is done, especially when the title riders are actually going to fight for these last few wins rather than ride it out because it's over.

Crush
4/23/2017 10:23am Edited Date/Time 4/23/2017 10:24am
Mx286 wrote:
I find it so funny people bashing on the bike have more than likely never ridden one. Never ridden it indoors but outdoors that bike is...
I find it so funny people bashing on the bike have more than likely never ridden one. Never ridden it indoors but outdoors that bike is really really good. Way better than the previous Honda's I've had.

The amount of bullshit people say that either don't ride or don't have a clue about anything is unreal.
It's probably as relevant as commenting on the character of a stock bike riding at a pace 20 seconds per lap slower than the top pros in the world on their factory exotica.... ?
machine
4/23/2017 10:26am
Crush wrote:
He's got to think he's got a shot outdoors. 250 champ, a couple good GP and MXdN rides on that 450 bike and regardless his SX...
He's got to think he's got a shot outdoors. 250 champ, a couple good GP and MXdN rides on that 450 bike and regardless his SX series is done, especially when the title riders are actually going to fight for these last few wins rather than ride it out because it's over.

Man, I sure hope so, he's had a rough year, I truly do hope the 18 is much better. For the record, I think Yamaha makes a good product, iv'e had a few myself, but this bike was clearly a mistake, at least at the pro level.
Crush
4/23/2017 10:33am
machine wrote:
Man, I sure hope so, he's had a rough year, I truly do hope the 18 is much better. For the record, I think Yamaha makes...
Man, I sure hope so, he's had a rough year, I truly do hope the 18 is much better. For the record, I think Yamaha makes a good product, iv'e had a few myself, but this bike was clearly a mistake, at least at the pro level.
He's got so much mongrel in him, he'll always be in it if he's close... Tis interesting how he seems to have been better when the track is soft and Reed when it is hard.

Peick said he think's it's just hard to setup, it's window is good when it's there, but the setup window is maybe smaller.

So add that to having a 5 kilo or more weight disadvantage, fighting for tenths of a second on a deteriorating track, on a bike that is a different duck... These top guys always talk about setup in terms of comfort.

Johnny on the block can ride it fine, but he's not pushing like these freaks.
Huevos
4/23/2017 10:40am Edited Date/Time 4/23/2017 10:43am
Crush wrote:
Imagine someone being stoked on a bike he's winning on. Fucking incredible!!!! Even more shocking, a multi-time winner not doing his best, questioning a bike after...

This is pretty much how Reed's year has gone.... Before the season started: "Had a great offseason, I feel prepared and ready to go. Best offseason I've had in years".

After season started and realizing he's not the rider he used to be: Team didn't listen to me, bike isn't performing the way it should because of things they're not letting me do to the bike.

Phoenix: This is the result I get when my bike is set up the way I tell them team to set it up

After Phoenix: back to lack luster results despite having the bike set up he "needed to succeed", gets so frustrated he decides to hold up Dungey as he's being lapped in 16th place like the real man he is....

And you're missing the point entirely on what I said about him being stoked or upset on bike setup... it wouldn't matter if he was on Tomacs bike, Barcias bike, or Dungeys bike. Reed is gonna Reed.

And no... I'm not gonna dig up source material to argue with a fan boy or anyone else on here... I admit I am NOT a fan of Reed. My opinion is purely an opinion based on observations. My ignorant opinion shouldn't have the power to throw you into a fit.

No one has complained more about bike set up than Reed in the past 15 years of the sport. Or tracks. Or rules. Or other riders....
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
767th
4/23/2017 10:46am
Mx286 wrote:
I find it so funny people bashing on the bike have more than likely never ridden one. Never ridden it indoors but outdoors that bike is...

Agreed
Crush
4/23/2017 11:06am
Huevos wrote:
This is pretty much how Reed's year has gone.... Before the season started: "Had a great offseason, I feel prepared and ready to go. Best offseason...
This is pretty much how Reed's year has gone.... Before the season started: "Had a great offseason, I feel prepared and ready to go. Best offseason I've had in years".

After season started and realizing he's not the rider he used to be: Team didn't listen to me, bike isn't performing the way it should because of things they're not letting me do to the bike.

Phoenix: This is the result I get when my bike is set up the way I tell them team to set it up

After Phoenix: back to lack luster results despite having the bike set up he "needed to succeed", gets so frustrated he decides to hold up Dungey as he's being lapped in 16th place like the real man he is....

And you're missing the point entirely on what I said about him being stoked or upset on bike setup... it wouldn't matter if he was on Tomacs bike, Barcias bike, or Dungeys bike. Reed is gonna Reed.

And no... I'm not gonna dig up source material to argue with a fan boy or anyone else on here... I admit I am NOT a fan of Reed. My opinion is purely an opinion based on observations. My ignorant opinion shouldn't have the power to throw you into a fit.

No one has complained more about bike set up than Reed in the past 15 years of the sport. Or tracks. Or rules. Or other riders....
So this is based on observations now, but still no source material, just the bit you got wrong about the team not letting him do whatever, which was directly after phoenix... Sounds like you're observations are real unbiased bro.

Despite not knowing what Reed is gonna Reed means, he has a track record of getting great results if he is comfortable, and the bike he is on now has a patchy record at that level, and a bunch of riders saying it's actually made them a bit uncomfortable, so it probably does matter more than you think.

And yeah, if he's not happy he's not afraid to say it. But fuck me, we've heard this crying about "crying" from American fans for 14 years about Reed... It's just calling a shovel a fucking shovel. If I had a dollar for every post i've read about people complaining of vanilla boring shit interviews i'd have more than if it was the other way around. Waaaaaah!

Like most of the field this year, his starts have been the determining factor in his results... lap times have been absolutely fine, if you want to tell me all the riders who have been able to come from mid-pack to the front not named Eli or Ryan this year, I reckon your next post would have to be pretty fucking short...
drt410
4/23/2017 11:13am Edited Date/Time 4/23/2017 11:16am
They don't have anyone besides cooper webb and he's a rookie. Stewart rode a different version of the backwards engine, so that doesn't give much to go buy. Everyone says they're great bikes, they just don't have a top guy to ride one. Barcia hasn't done good on any bike in the 450's so he's not a good baseline. I think they're actually great bikes they just need to sign a top guy, reed is on his way out and cooper has been doing good until he got injured. I think he's going to be the one next year once he's more comfortable. That 2018 seems to have taken some ideas from cycra and should be thinner at the shrouds and have better airflow into the engine. They also showed one of the factory bikes with electric start. Not to mention they have some of the best suspension. Theres nothing that says these bikes are duds and next year they should be even better.
spacecat
4/23/2017 11:26am
I just hope that the reliability doesn't go away. Maybe I'm old and slow but i love that the YZ450f requires about the same maintenance as my lawn mower. I keep putting fuel in her and she keeps going. Friends with other brands can't say the same. It does however hurt the ego, bench racing category when the factory level men can't get results with the same color equipment I use.
JBecker 72
4/23/2017 12:02pm
Mx286 wrote:

I would have preferred to stay on a Yamaha when I got a 450. I just haven't liked a single 10+ YZ450 I rode. Really wish they had gone in the direction the 10-13 YZ250F went as far as the chassis. That is an awesome handling bike in comparison.
Johnny Ringo
4/23/2017 12:32pm

Crush wrote:
Tis a nice motif!

machine wrote:
They put that on there to try and help keep the rider from flying off when that bitch starts swapping...Grinning
He looked great in Seattle

Post a reply to: I sure hope that 2018 Yamaha 450 is something special

The Latest