I need help w/my 05 Suzuki 450

jreeves884
4/9/2014 7:45am Edited Date/Time 4/9/2014 11:32am
I have a 2005 Suzuki RMZ 450. I have trouble starting it up once it is warm. Well basically even when it is cold also. I understand the process of choking it and also the hot start that is on the bike. Still cant seem to find the magic code that gets it to fire up easily. Any help is greatly appreciate it. Yeah I know a new bike would be a great answer.

Thanks!
|
racinstation
Fantasy
2024th
4/9/2014 7:53am
Adjust your valves and run a 48 pilot jet and she will fire right up!
jreeves884
4/9/2014 7:59am
Adjust your valves and run a 48 pilot jet and she will fire right up!
Thanks man! I will look into that. Do you have the same bike or did you try it in the past with success?
burn1986
Fantasy
3280th
4/9/2014 8:21am
It sounds like you need a new engine and carb.
rallendude
4/9/2014 8:22am
Most of those carbureted four-strokes have a starting drill. If the bike is new to you try a few things. For the most part, the adjust valves/48 pilot will work. Although I tend to use 45 pilots.

Try this though. Lean the bike over on the stand until a little fuel spills out the overflow. Pull the choke and give the throttle two or three good twists. Then kick. Long full hard kicks. If it doesn't fire in about three kicks, twist the throttle again and two more kicks.

If that doesn't do it, check the valves and make sure the plug isn't five years old. Any idea how many hours are on the top end?

The Shop

Paw Paw 271
4/9/2014 8:32am
Have you cleaned the pilot jet. If the least bit dirty they will become hard to start.
Have you checked the valve clearances? If the valves are tight it will be hard to start.
If the fuel screw is not properly it will also be hard to start.
jreeves884
4/9/2014 8:38am
rallendude wrote:
Most of those carbureted four-strokes have a starting drill. If the bike is new to you try a few things. For the most part, the adjust...
Most of those carbureted four-strokes have a starting drill. If the bike is new to you try a few things. For the most part, the adjust valves/48 pilot will work. Although I tend to use 45 pilots.

Try this though. Lean the bike over on the stand until a little fuel spills out the overflow. Pull the choke and give the throttle two or three good twists. Then kick. Long full hard kicks. If it doesn't fire in about three kicks, twist the throttle again and two more kicks.

If that doesn't do it, check the valves and make sure the plug isn't five years old. Any idea how many hours are on the top end?
Thanks for the help man. I am completely open to trying the method you recommended. I will see how that works out. Would this method be used at cold starts or at hot starts? I know so much changes when a motor is warm versus starting it up right off the stand.

The whole motor was rebuilt last year by my mechanic. He is a guy I greatly trust and has plenty of credentials so he is by no means just a backyard mechanic. I would trust him with anything I use or drive. He doesn't charge me anything because of how long we have worked together but I dont want to have him spend a day troubleshooting. I am trying to get some ideas before dropping it off with him.

So that being said I know the spark plug is no older than about 12 months old. I was going to change it one day before riding and then realized I needed to remove the tank and not to mention I needed a 12 inch extention to pull the plug.

Thanks again for the help! I really appreciate it!
jreeves884
4/9/2014 8:42am
Have you cleaned the pilot jet. If the least bit dirty they will become hard to start. Have you checked the valve clearances? If the valves...
Have you cleaned the pilot jet. If the least bit dirty they will become hard to start.
Have you checked the valve clearances? If the valves are tight it will be hard to start.
If the fuel screw is not properly it will also be hard to start.
Im going to check into that. Valves should be fine as they do not have much time on them at all. Maybe 4 hours. The Fuel Screw is something I will check also. Thank you for the advice.
Madmax31
Fantasy
128th
4/9/2014 9:30am
I had an 05. It was a bear to start when the valves were out of adjustment. Check them month or so.
jreeves884
4/9/2014 9:34am
Madmax31 wrote:
I had an 05. It was a bear to start when the valves were out of adjustment. Check them month or so.
Thanks for the heads up. If they potentially need adjusted that frequently I may need to look into it. I don't get to ride as much as I would like to so I always feel like they are okay for a good while but maybe I need to check them more frequently.

Thanks again!

Justin
hillbilly
4/9/2014 11:32am
The valves adjust with shims,not a screw/jam nut like an old xr.

Dont try it if you aint good with tools.

Find a shop,cost varies,$75-$ 100 ballpark

Post a reply to: I need help w/my 05 Suzuki 450

The Latest