I know it won't help everytime, but dress for...

Drtbykr
Edited Date/Time 11/26/2012 5:12pm
..........the Goddamn crash!

I don't know enough about neck braces to comment, but is front and back chest protection too much to ask for to be compulsary for ALL sanctioned racers?
I won't ride my bike without one, and I'm an old trail rider with LTD through my job.

They help protect your heart, lungs and back. If you don't think those "minor body parts" are worth protecting, don't wear a helmet either.

You break your ankle or rip your knee out, you get cool crutches and maybe pull a chick. Torso injuries is usually "prayers sent".

Here is an idea for "prayers sent"....lets pray right now that tracks are safe and fun, and riders protect their vital organs the best they can.

You may think you are young, seven feet tall and bulletproof, but I have news for you.
|
hartebreak
Fantasy
169th
11/25/2012 2:01pm Edited Date/Time 11/25/2012 2:02pm
It must come from the top. As kids we have all looked up to people who are cool, cool bikes, flashy gear, doing big jumps, etc. I see it too often where these same people that the kids idolize act a fool or arent leading by example. A few years ago I was out riding and another party at the staging area there was a guy with a brand new 450, all the kids were "oooooing and aaaaaaing" as this guy rode up and down the staging area on the back wheel in a tank top, shorts and no helmet. After the guy was done i confronted him in that every kid at that staging area thought he was bad ass and he really should have been wearing the proper gear as now these kids will think the cool thing to do is ride like he was. The guy jumped down my throat and told me to mind my own business. No more than 3 hours later one of the kids in that party was on the way to the hospital due to a huge gash on his chin from wiping out without a helmet on. It must come from the top, I think the supercross guys do a pretty good job at displaying themselves as "safe" riders but the guys in the goon riding films and stuff like that arent doing our youth any favors. It is up to all of us when we are out riding (especially with youngsters around) to show then that it is "cool" to wear the proper gear and that the fools not riding safely are NOT the ones they should be looking up to. Its a tough thing for sure because our society has made the "bad boy" such an icon.
Coyote
11/25/2012 2:03pm
hartebreak wrote:
It must come from the top. As kids we have all looked up to people who are cool, cool bikes, flashy gear, doing big jumps, etc...
It must come from the top. As kids we have all looked up to people who are cool, cool bikes, flashy gear, doing big jumps, etc. I see it too often where these same people that the kids idolize act a fool or arent leading by example. A few years ago I was out riding and another party at the staging area there was a guy with a brand new 450, all the kids were "oooooing and aaaaaaing" as this guy rode up and down the staging area on the back wheel in a tank top, shorts and no helmet. After the guy was done i confronted him in that every kid at that staging area thought he was bad ass and he really should have been wearing the proper gear as now these kids will think the cool thing to do is ride like he was. The guy jumped down my throat and told me to mind my own business. No more than 3 hours later one of the kids in that party was on the way to the hospital due to a huge gash on his chin from wiping out without a helmet on. It must come from the top, I think the supercross guys do a pretty good job at displaying themselves as "safe" riders but the guys in the goon riding films and stuff like that arent doing our youth any favors. It is up to all of us when we are out riding (especially with youngsters around) to show then that it is "cool" to wear the proper gear and that the fools not riding safely are NOT the ones they should be looking up to. Its a tough thing for sure because our society has made the "bad boy" such an icon.
damn osers (as in Mackenzie brothers) you're probably right as it has to start at the top but making it mandatory would definitely make a dent (no pun intended) in injuries. oh yea if you think i'm baggin on canadians i might be a little but ended up marrying one outta edmonton...just sayin, lmao!!
Drtbykr
11/25/2012 2:07pm Edited Date/Time 11/25/2012 2:21pm
Edmonton to California!! She should rub your feet every day.

If a stinking chest protector was good enough for The Hurricane, everyone else can wear one.

I say make them compulsary in amateur, and someday they will be the norm.

Gotta talk hockey since I almost lost an eye playing before visors came along. The best Junior players in the country wear visors, and if they are good enough to go pro they uually leave them on, since they are used to them. The making them compulsory in pro would not be a shock. Grandfather it right now...then we may have to pray a little less, giving us more time for wasting our time on an internet forum.
velocitygear
11/25/2012 5:44pm
hartebreak wrote:
It must come from the top. As kids we have all looked up to people who are cool, cool bikes, flashy gear, doing big jumps, etc...
Coyote wrote:
damn osers (as in Mackenzie brothers) you're probably right as it has to start at the top but making it mandatory would definitely make a dent...
damn osers (as in Mackenzie brothers) you're probably right as it has to start at the top but making it mandatory would definitely make a dent (no pun intended) in injuries. oh yea if you think i'm baggin on canadians i might be a little but ended up marrying one outta edmonton...just sayin, lmao!!
^^ BINGO!

Since I'm in the trade of personal protection, you are ABSOULTELY right.

I was talking to someone at Riderdown.org and in our discussions, he told me that many a factory guy won't wear body armor due to the "look". Some riders don't want to look fat or have photo shoots where they look "heavy"..

I asked him if he was serious.... he was!!

My nephew loves RV, if RV wore impact protection tomorrow, I'm sure he would suit up.

It my eye's it's simple; To progress, requires crashing. To defy the affects of crashing, you need to wear the appropriate gear.

As with anything, you MUST do your research. Don't rely on a logo or name brand and look for testing complinace.

Leatt is one of the first moto companies to offer a CE rated chest protector... For MX.

The standards have been around for awhile but US companies don't pursue them; hmmmm... I wonder why!!

The Shop

mxrose3
Fantasy
1046th
11/25/2012 8:02pm Edited Date/Time 11/25/2012 8:03pm
*deleted*
chump6784
11/26/2012 12:47am
My chest protector has white impact marks all over it. Saved my ribs many a time. Can't ride without now
yak651
Fantasy
214th
11/26/2012 5:44am
snocross racing requires use of a tek vest (back and chest protection, much thicker than a standard MX chest protector) and 144 square inches of orange on your helmet for visibility (think they bend this for pros...), not sure why MX can't require the use of protection. It won't stop all injuries but i don't think it could hurt (wait for Nerd to come in and tell us how chest protectors cause injuries..)
Frodad78
11/26/2012 9:33am
You are on to a something with our sports elite setting the example for younger MXers. I grew up watching Henry, Dowd and Lamson rock Fox chest protectors so I had to have one. I still wear one today, party because of those guys and partly because I got ran over about 10 years ago and the back part of the gaurd got ripped in half. I was very thankfull to be wearing it and because of that I'll always wear it when racing.
bh84
Fantasy
1830th
11/26/2012 9:55am
yak651 wrote:
snocross racing requires use of a tek vest (back and chest protection, much thicker than a standard MX chest protector) and 144 square inches of orange...
snocross racing requires use of a tek vest (back and chest protection, much thicker than a standard MX chest protector) and 144 square inches of orange on your helmet for visibility (think they bend this for pros...), not sure why MX can't require the use of protection. It won't stop all injuries but i don't think it could hurt (wait for Nerd to come in and tell us how chest protectors cause injuries..)
those TekVests are serious man! i fell from 15 feet up onto hardpack(welcome to ATV Racing, hardpack everywhere) didnt feel a thing. I`ve talked to the owner a few times about making a lighter version but he refuses to compromise safety for lightweight
level
11/26/2012 4:51pm
They need to work on the technology of body armor. Just not much innovation in them. Most are very uncomfortable, bulky, and restricting. They also add to much weight. Chest protectors are great for not just roost but protecting against a handlebar to the chest or run over by another bike but they don't come down far enough on the back or front to protect those areas.

I agree, everybody should ride with a chest protector of some kind. I am guilty of not doing it sometimes and feel much lighter and more nimble when I don't wear one. I would love to see some advancement in this area to make them light, fit like a glove, and offer great protection but all the gear adds up to a lot of weight and makes it difficult to move around and be nimble.
velocitygear
11/26/2012 5:12pm Edited Date/Time 11/26/2012 5:40pm
level wrote:
They need to work on the technology of body armor. Just not much innovation in them. Most are very uncomfortable, bulky, and restricting. They also add...
They need to work on the technology of body armor. Just not much innovation in them. Most are very uncomfortable, bulky, and restricting. They also add to much weight. Chest protectors are great for not just roost but protecting against a handlebar to the chest or run over by another bike but they don't come down far enough on the back or front to protect those areas.

I agree, everybody should ride with a chest protector of some kind. I am guilty of not doing it sometimes and feel much lighter and more nimble when I don't wear one. I would love to see some advancement in this area to make them light, fit like a glove, and offer great protection but all the gear adds up to a lot of weight and makes it difficult to move around and be nimble.
Unfortunately, I cannot agree.

The technology exists already... and the weight issue isn't one for me personally. Really, the question is, how badly do you want to be able to walk away. If you can't wear body armor due to the weight, should you really be riding a motorcycle. I'm 37 and NEVER ride without body armor and can hold my own at the local track. I'm still riding because of body armor; the hits I''ve taken would have persuaded me to leave this sport a LONG time ago. A roost guard cannot be comapred to any competent Ce tested body armor; there's simply no argument..

If you've ever heard of T-pro; they make a product that can actually prevent broken bones from a 50KN initial impact. That is;

a force of 50kn is applied, in order for bones not to break that force needs to be lessened to around 4kn. 4kn is the medical number associated with the force required to break bones. Yet, most motocross riders know nothing about their product.

To me it's really simple; you can make excuses not to do something OR find the solutions to fix the problem, WHATEVER it may be for the SPECIFIC individual!

I want to ride motorcycles until I die, so I wear "real" body armor so I can make my ambition a reality!

Post a reply to: I know it won't help everytime, but dress for...

The Latest