"I just wasn't fast enough"

mingham97
This is not aimed at all riders but they always have an excuse as to why they finished where they did.
"I got a bad start"
"Lapped riders"
"Bike wasn't good"
"Been sick all week"
"I nearly got taken out by _____"
I understand that people want to know how they felt about the race, but it seems that 95% of the time it's just excuses??
I will do shoey if a pro ever stops blaming everything else and blame them selves.

|
mingham97
11/14/2016 12:37am Edited Date/Time 11/14/2016 12:37am
Sick of seeing this shit in my news feed. You weren't fast enough or smart enough

11/14/2016 12:41am
If you don't want to hear the reasons why bother asking?
For example We know Roczen can win on any day, we know Tomac can win on any day...so when they don't there will be a reason they weren't as fast as the other guy, it goes without saying they weren't fast enough they didn't win, but why weren't they fast enough is the reason they are giving. There are no excuses in racing, results are final.
chuckdavies
11/14/2016 12:56am
I do kind of agree with you, but you also have to think, most of the time these are genuine reasons why they didn't get the result they wanted.

Perfect example - You posted yourself that Hsu got a bad start and a guy blocked his line on lap 1, but then showed he had the speed by winning it yesterday (when he got a better start and didn't get blocked).
mingham97
11/14/2016 12:57am Edited Date/Time 11/14/2016 12:58am
If you don't want to hear the reasons why bother asking? For example We know Roczen can win on any day, we know Tomac can win...
For example We know Roczen can win on any day, we know Tomac can win on any day...so when they don't there will be a reason they weren't as fast as the other guy, it goes without saying they weren't fast enough they didn't win, but why weren't they fast enough is the reason they are giving. There are no excuses in racing, results are final.
You're missing no the point. The riders blame everything but them selves is what I'm getting at. Don't tell me everytime someone loses its someone elses fault. Unless they give you the "bad start" then I guess that is the only time a rider will blame them selves.

The Shop

mingham97
11/14/2016 1:01am
I do kind of agree with you, but you also have to think, most of the time these are genuine reasons why they didn't get the...
I do kind of agree with you, but you also have to think, most of the time these are genuine reasons why they didn't get the result they wanted.

Perfect example - You posted yourself that Hsu got a bad start and a guy blocked his line on lap 1, but then showed he had the speed by winning it yesterday (when he got a better start and didn't get blocked).
Yeah for sure. But Brayton having a whinge about why he didn't win the second night. Don't blame Reed for rubbing ya...blame yourself because you aren't as fast as him or Webb
11/14/2016 2:06am
Or " I got a great start, but made a rooky mistake by leaving the door wide open, i actually invited Reed in to punt
me off the track."

"it's all Reed's fault, i left the door open on Saturday night and he didn't punt me off, why the hell did he punt me off this time, he is not very polite"
305FC250
11/14/2016 3:04am
I mean lapped riders or nearly being taken out are things that can genuinely affect you and can sometimes be out of your control. But besides that I agree with your point.
Jrewing
11/14/2016 3:08am
Marvin M is the dude who tells it how it is. With Tomac and Roczen winning he was straight up about just not being at their level atm. Cool dude
Starcrossed
11/14/2016 4:22am
If you don't want to hear the reasons why bother asking? For example We know Roczen can win on any day, we know Tomac can win...
mingham97 wrote:
You're missing no the point. The riders blame everything but them selves is what I'm getting at. Don't tell me everytime someone loses its someone elses...
You're missing no the point. The riders blame everything but them selves is what I'm getting at. Don't tell me everytime someone loses its someone elses fault. Unless they give you the "bad start" then I guess that is the only time a rider will blame them selves.
Maybe I'm "missing no the point,"too, but I understand the logic of Andy and Chuck. If Dungey, Roczen, or Tomac, miss the podium, there is almost always a reason other than, "Rider X was faster than me." There are many guys whose results are typically similar, but when a rider finishes outside of his expected range, there is very often a legitimate reason for it, other than guys being faster. The poor start rationale will hold water about 95% of the time. I don't view the responses as excuses, as much as the actual reasons why a rider fell short of their expectations.
MR. X
11/14/2016 4:39am
That's like OSHA coming to a job site to find out why a crane fell and the safety guy saying "gravity" . Gravity of course meaning not fast enough .
Flip109
11/14/2016 4:41am
I also get really annoyed with excuses. But you have to understand these guys do anything they can to keep their confidence level very high. They can't let themselves think they weren't good enough. Its a winners mind set.

I want to say for the most part Ricky and Dungey always gave credit to whoever beat them that day, and would usually say they just didn't have it that day or what not...
Samuel
11/14/2016 4:42am
How is "I got a bad start" in any way blaming someone else? Other than that, yeah I see your point. People love to make excuses, and not just in moto. I'm sure you've made a few, as have I.
early
Fantasy
2231st
11/14/2016 5:07am
I hope Chad doesnt pull this shit when the real supercrosses start. Hes a master of listing off a number of raceday issues then following it up with "but no excuses"
11/14/2016 5:17am
Yeah the long list of excuses followed by "but no excuses" is rather annoying. Just admit you lost and you weren't the best guy that night. Not to hard. Guy fell in front of you, why were you following right behind someone? Can't pass riding the same lines as the guy in front of you. Guy pushed you over on the start, why are you a pussy and letting them move you to where they want? All excuses.
crusty_xx
Fantasy
156th
11/14/2016 5:20am
So you guys think the riders should just admit to themselves that there was no problem other than that they suck?
Great cards for the mental game then. Brilliant
mingham97
11/14/2016 5:59am
crusty_xx wrote:
So you guys think the riders should just admit to themselves that there was no problem other than that they suck? Great cards for the mental...
So you guys think the riders should just admit to themselves that there was no problem other than that they suck?
Great cards for the mental game then. Brilliant
Not sick necessarily... but maybe admit poor decisions and their gamble didn't pay off.
"Oh yeah I put a million bucks on a horse and it was gonna work out but the other horses won so the horses are the reason I'm not a millionaire not my own poor decision making"
Starcrossed
11/14/2016 6:07am
The questions posed by the interviewers are also geared towards eliciting the responses that the riders are giving. They either have to say that other riders were/are better, or offer a reason(s) why they didn't win or podium. I do find it humorous when a rider offers multiple excuses, then says they don't want to use them as excuses.
MxRyder
11/14/2016 6:28am
Accountability, some have it....the rest is just personal perspective......it is refreshing when a guy mans up and says"shit i got beat straight up"!.......however it is a level opportunity when those keys guys are all in the fight within the top 10.......everybodies excuse this year should have been "Roczen smoked us...." this year might very well be a repeat......i dont care who wins as long as it good racing.....the closer the racing the better to watch......and it nice to see guys who dont get up front much ,claw their way in.....
keinz
11/14/2016 7:04am
That's what mens do after wild night out arriving home at 7am.

So, it's fine for me
Highsider
11/14/2016 7:46am
Good thing I am old enough to just say " I scared myself, so I slowed down!"

ShockedLaughing
sdfog1
11/14/2016 7:55am
I've always thought that self-dillusion is a trait that's almost required in professional athletes. If you look in the mirror and admit to yourself that you're just not good enough, you probably aren't going to make it to that elite level. Sure, there are exceptions, but I think that most professional athletes need to protect their ego by focusing on the reasons why they didn't get the result they wanted.
Is it healthy for them as people? Probably not.
Gavzx7
11/14/2016 7:59am
How many times have you heard, "I rode tight." What's that even mean? To me, it means "I am not in as good of shape as I should be. I got tired."

I agree that there are too many excuses. I think the supercross ego is far too fragile these days. I think the teams are also letting the riders get away with it. The man friends are telling their rider that they are the best and they didn't win because of X. I get that they want to keep their confidence up but there has to be some reality or truth mixed in.

I don't want to single out one person (because I am a big fan of him) but James Stewart is guilty of this. He tips over in a main, and then doesn't finish the race because of....who knows what. I was gonna win but I crashed. I didn't win, but I have an excuse. Whew. The boss will be happy.

The other one that drives me crazy is missing more races when they say they are 100% fit when coming back from injury. Rider: "I was going to come back tonight but I have only been back on the bike for a month." Did you forget how to ride a motorcycle when you were injured? Ride yourself back into shape? Fly the flag for your sponsors that have been paying you while you were injured?
jeffro503
11/14/2016 8:04am
Wouldn't everyone who finished 2nd or lower...." Have an excuse"?

Think about it. People ask them that question all the time...what are they suppose to say? They do say quite often.." I just wasn't fast enough today...and so-n-so had my number ".

Sometimes the explanation / excuses can be pretty lame , but for the most part , the rider just says what he thinks held him back. This happens in all sports , including every single moto sport.
early
Fantasy
2231st
11/14/2016 8:11am
Gavzx7 wrote:
How many times have you heard, "I rode tight." What's that even mean? To me, it means "I am not in as good of shape as...
How many times have you heard, "I rode tight." What's that even mean? To me, it means "I am not in as good of shape as I should be. I got tired."

I agree that there are too many excuses. I think the supercross ego is far too fragile these days. I think the teams are also letting the riders get away with it. The man friends are telling their rider that they are the best and they didn't win because of X. I get that they want to keep their confidence up but there has to be some reality or truth mixed in.

I don't want to single out one person (because I am a big fan of him) but James Stewart is guilty of this. He tips over in a main, and then doesn't finish the race because of....who knows what. I was gonna win but I crashed. I didn't win, but I have an excuse. Whew. The boss will be happy.

The other one that drives me crazy is missing more races when they say they are 100% fit when coming back from injury. Rider: "I was going to come back tonight but I have only been back on the bike for a month." Did you forget how to ride a motorcycle when you were injured? Ride yourself back into shape? Fly the flag for your sponsors that have been paying you while you were injured?
We all have good days and bad days riding, i think riding tight for the most part means having a day/race where they are not riding up to their ability. Maybe they arent in good enough shape, maybe they arent that comfortable up front, maybe its just a bad day.
MR. X
11/14/2016 8:13am
If nobody had an excuse then 10 guys would finish 1st. Something has to be the reason they didn't go fast enough. At that level,the littlest things in a program can mean not winning.
KMC440
11/14/2016 9:03am
In a perfect world, in a 5 lap moto, I'd holeshot the damn thing while the field wadded it up and it took 3 laps to pull them all apart.

In a perfect world that is ... Cool
moscrop940
11/14/2016 9:28am
You know the one thing I've noticed the few times I've watched post game interviews for the NFL, is the players, predominantly the quarterback is always pretty damn quick to own up to playing like shit.

Reporter: Are you concerned going into next week with how your team played tonight?
QB: I'm not concerned, I just played terrible tonight. This is no ones fault but my own, and we will be ready by next week

I never understood the whole "I can't tell anyone I'm injured or admit defeat because I didn't want to give anyone an edge".....

Riders with shitty excuses don't do that for the other riders, only for themselves....hell maybe if they were a bit more honest with themselves and admit straight up defeat, they would bust there ass just 1% more that next week because they know what they did last weekend wasn't enough.

Just my .02 cents

Post a reply to: "I just wasn't fast enough"

The Latest