I just stood in my local KTM dealer for over 15m waiting to buy a 250SX and was completely snubbed. Ask me anything.

wreckitrandy
3/20/2017 9:08am
peelout wrote:
15m bro?! i'd have started bench pressing one of the salesmen. i had to wait over 16m to use the shitter at McD's the other day...
15m bro?! i'd have started bench pressing one of the salesmen.

i had to wait over 16m to use the shitter at McD's the other day. i Oreo McFlurried the inside of that restroom bro.
Did you torque those toilet bolts?!!
Camp332
3/20/2017 9:15am
You should travel to the tracks with all your bikes in this bad boy bro!

Acidreamer
3/20/2017 9:17am
Did you actually go up to a salesman and say "id like to buy this" or did you stand around and expect someone to come to you?

Btw this has nothing to do with KTM. It has everything to do with the dealer. Dealers and Manufacturers arent the same nor related.
3/20/2017 9:20am
peelout wrote:
15m bro?! i'd have started bench pressing one of the salesmen. i had to wait over 16m to use the shitter at McD's the other day...
15m bro?! i'd have started bench pressing one of the salesmen.

i had to wait over 16m to use the shitter at McD's the other day. i Oreo McFlurried the inside of that restroom bro.
LaughingLaughingLaughing

The Shop

JBecker 72
3/20/2017 9:37am
It seems half the people get turned off as soon as a salesman approaches and asks if they need assistance. The other half get pissed when they don't approach. Kind of a lose lose situation.

Having to get someone's attention at a dealer is far from a deal breaker in my book. Hell, they might have given you the best price you can find locally. I can handle being snubbed for a few minutes if it means saving some money.
GrapeApe
Fantasy
806th
3/20/2017 9:38am
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

In your dreams, pal. I could have bought the dealership if I wanted it. Idiot.
You play a lot of Rocket League down there in Australia?
hvaughn88
3/20/2017 9:42am Edited Date/Time 3/20/2017 9:45am
JBecker 72 wrote:
It seems half the people get turned off as soon as a salesman approaches and asks if they need assistance. The other half get pissed when...
It seems half the people get turned off as soon as a salesman approaches and asks if they need assistance. The other half get pissed when they don't approach. Kind of a lose lose situation.

Having to get someone's attention at a dealer is far from a deal breaker in my book. Hell, they might have given you the best price you can find locally. I can handle being snubbed for a few minutes if it means saving some money.
I will only get out of my truck at a car lot if the dealer is closed. When it's open, I don't even get out and just drive through to look. Unless I'm buying that day, when I see that little golf cart driving my way, it's time to leave.

Edit: the only time that's not true is when I go to the dealer I bought my last truck from. They are awesome and I've actually stopped in there multiple times just to chat. But they seem to be pretty rare and I appreciate them.
kiwifan
3/20/2017 12:08pm
rrjr wrote:
I thought you said you get your bikes for free? Wink
cant help yourself can you? now stop trolling and move on...
G-man
3/20/2017 2:08pm
Did you throw a napkin down in disgust?

That usually gets everyone's attention! Woohoo
philG
3/20/2017 2:34pm
Markee wrote:
It's this simple. Wait on no one. You pick up what you want to purchase and you take it to a register. If you can't, you...
It's this simple. Wait on no one. You pick up what you want to purchase and you take it to a register. If you can't, you tell someone you want to purchase a bigger item that is on the floor, outside, locked up, on a shelf etc...

You didn't want the bike, you wanted to be held, rubbed, massaged, ass kissed, etc... I know you, I worked at a shop for 12 years. When we were busy or unaware of a customers wants those people like yourself true colors came out. Guess what, the loss in the sale was well worth the headaches that would follow.

BTW, You probably don't have a clue how many people come in just to look like its a museum.

People can't read minds big money grip.
APLMAN99 wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/03/20/182542/s1200_image.jpg[/img]

So much truth in this, in my time in dealerships, we had a saying 'doesnt meet minimum customer requirements' .. it meant that the deal didnt cover the potential grief.

We were allowed one a year, no comebacks, the best one resulted in my boss telling a guy we wouldnt sell him a bike , he went off, and threatened (and did) bad mouth us locally , which bought us a string of sales from folk who were impressed that we told him to piss off.
3/20/2017 3:17pm Edited Date/Time 3/20/2017 3:18pm
This is the last comment I will make on this situation, then I am done.

1. I will take it up directly with KTM. Hopefully they can put me in touch with an independent dealer.

2. This was the "last straw" in a long line of crap service from KTM dealers (not the dealer mentioned in this thread), which has been experienced by both myself, and friends and family who ride. I'm talking woeful service and yet, I really like the product. I wish I could just buy it online. (Examples: everywhere from straight out lies, to overcharging, to treating people like garbage so the guy can get back to looking at his phone). Look around the thread. Others have had the exact same experience.

3. I admit that the "buy the dealer" comment made me come off as a dick. But the truth is, you should never make assumptions about a person and their situation. Just because I love dirtbikes, does not mean I am struggling.

4. Perhaps the standards I set for myself and my staff are too old school. I really just wanted to buy myself a little treat and I guess I expected that it would be a nicer experience.

5. To those that deemed it necessary to make a personal attack on my life skills or ability to land a woman - wow, you need to take a good hard look at yourself. I am doing more than fine, thank you.

6. This has taught me a valuable lesson. Don't vent on the internet. Because even though plenty of people have had the same experience, you'll be held up to ridicule by people whose IQ is in the low single digits.

7. Refer to point one. I'm out.
TeamGreen
3/20/2017 3:48pm
Find a decent dealer. There's gottta be one somewhere in your part of OZ.

aeffertz
3/20/2017 4:13pm
Which dealers snubbed you, exactly? Surely they'd like to know who's slacking.
smoothies862
Fantasy
745th
3/20/2017 4:23pm Edited Date/Time 3/20/2017 4:26pm
I would rather approach them. its not that either way though. its the bro' attitude, lack of knowledge etc.
maybe you could just buy vital too and throw out the trashTongue

********1000 posts********* I knew all the training would pay off. thanks to camp bro' and peelout bro' for all the support.*****************lots of long nights in short shorts and covered in pizza. it was worth the struggle.
DanDunes818
3/20/2017 4:34pm
kzizok wrote:
So, you just stood there and walked out? Who did you talk to at the dealership? In just a short time in this thread, you seem...
So, you just stood there and walked out? Who did you talk to at the dealership?

In just a short time in this thread, you seem to get very defensive with honest, harmless, and well meaning questions. Afterall, the last sentence in your title was, "Ask me anything."
That is a fair comment. Not defensive, pissed off. There is a difference. Go to Yamaha, Kawasaki, Honda - hell, even a small Husky dealer -...
That is a fair comment. Not defensive, pissed off. There is a difference.

Go to Yamaha, Kawasaki, Honda - hell, even a small Husky dealer - and you will at least get a "How are ya mate? If you need anything give me a shout".

Never in my life have I had to go up to someone and say "Hey listen here, let me give you some money for this product". That goes for buying cars, dirt bikes, street bikes, or anything mechanical. And I have bought a LOT over the years.
In my opinion, while I may be the minority, I really appreciate this approach to sales. I absolutely hate when they approach me at car, auto or any dealership. Makes me feel like a piece of meet in a piranha tank. I've told many a salesmen, "If I need anything you will know. Please just let me look for a while."

But, when I sold bikes or autos--I have sold both at dealerships--I understood that the wait until the customer approaches me method could make some buyers feel unwanted or unappreciated. I always made some kind of brief un-pressured contact like, "How's it going, my name is Dan and I will be right at my desk if you have questions or you need anything."

The initial greeting is a catch 22 for a salesman, but I think not saying anything at all will more often than not be the wrong decision.

I also understand the OP's comment on needing to get sleeve tatoo's and a flat bill before they recognize your existence in a dealership some times. I've felt that. I've also gotten the patronizing salesman that races 125 C and treats you like you couldn't possibly know how to ride this bike to it's potential.

Camp332
3/20/2017 6:01pm
I would rather approach them. its not that either way though. its the bro' attitude, lack of knowledge etc. maybe you could just buy vital too...
I would rather approach them. its not that either way though. its the bro' attitude, lack of knowledge etc.
maybe you could just buy vital too and throw out the trashTongue

********1000 posts********* I knew all the training would pay off. thanks to camp bro' and peelout bro' for all the support.*****************lots of long nights in short shorts and covered in pizza. it was worth the struggle.
Congratulation Bro! BroFist
tempura
3/20/2017 6:11pm
Here, when walking into a dealer (and almost any store) you'll be greeted/acknowledged as soon as you walk in. They won't come over to you, but just look your way and greet you. They've acknowledged your presence in their store.
Often after a short time, you'll be approached by staff asking if you need any assistance, just shout..then they'll usually leave you to do your thing.
TogaSet
Fantasy
3824th
3/20/2017 6:21pm
This is the last comment I will make on this situation, then I am done. 1. I will take it up directly with KTM. Hopefully they...

1. I will take it up directly with KTM. Hopefully they can put me in touch with an independent dealer.

2. This was the "last straw" in a long line of crap service from KTM dealers (not the dealer mentioned in this thread), which has been experienced by both myself, and friends and family who ride. I'm talking woeful service and yet, I really like the product. I wish I could just buy it online. (Examples: everywhere from straight out lies, to overcharging, to treating people like garbage so the guy can get back to looking at his phone). Look around the thread. Others have had the exact same experience.

3. I admit that the "buy the dealer" comment made me come off as a dick. But the truth is, you should never make assumptions about a person and their situation. Just because I love dirtbikes, does not mean I am struggling.

4. Perhaps the standards I set for myself and my staff are too old school. I really just wanted to buy myself a little treat and I guess I expected that it would be a nicer experience.

5. To those that deemed it necessary to make a personal attack on my life skills or ability to land a woman - wow, you need to take a good hard look at yourself. I am doing more than fine, thank you.

6. This has taught me a valuable lesson. Don't vent on the internet. Because even though plenty of people have had the same experience, you'll be held up to ridicule by people whose IQ is in the low single digits.

Told ya
3/20/2017 8:39pm
This is the last comment I will make on this situation, then I am done. 1. I will take it up directly with KTM. Hopefully they...

Strikes me as the kind of guy that goes out in public and thinks everyone is an asshole to him. Meanwhile he's the asshole...

Side note:
This exact post can be seen on niche forums across the internet. When people are in the mood to spend money on toys- they tend to want a handjob along with the sale. You're a few words short of saying "you lost my business!!!!" Which they didn't have in the first place.
huck
3/21/2017 7:10am
Strikes me as the kind of guy that goes out in public and thinks everyone is an asshole to him. Meanwhile he's the asshole... Side note...
Strikes me as the kind of guy that goes out in public and thinks everyone is an asshole to him. Meanwhile he's the asshole...

Side note:
This exact post can be seen on niche forums across the internet. When people are in the mood to spend money on toys- they tend to want a handjob along with the sale. You're a few words short of saying "you lost my business!!!!" Which they didn't have in the first place.
In our 15+ year relationship, Jeff, we finally agree on something!!!
DFWracefan
3/21/2017 8:13am Edited Date/Time 3/21/2017 8:13am
Welcome to world of retail. Some buyers want to be left alone and ask the sales staff if they have questions or want help. Others want a sales person to cater them the entire way. The blame lays on both sides, the customer and staff. It takes just a tiny bit of effort by the staff to let a customer know "if you need anything or have a question please let me know." Then on the other side of the coin. A tiny bit of effort by the customer to let a staff member know, "I am interested in this ..........", would solve 95% of these issues.

Post a reply to: I just stood in my local KTM dealer for over 15m waiting to buy a 250SX and was completely snubbed. Ask me anything.

The Latest