I haven't heard yet the 2 USGPs....

kkawboy14
Were considered a success or a failure?

Seemed pretty successful from my couch.
|
OleTex
9/12/2016 4:25pm
I'd say they where a success. I would like to see more US riders take part though.
OleTex
9/12/2016 4:26pm
Oh, and howdy neighbor! Smile
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
9/12/2016 4:56pm
Here are a few things from my perspective.

From the teams I talked to last weekend, most of them seemed to enjoy Charlotte and Glen Helen. There was a little confusion on schedules, and staging and start procedures among the U.S. guys, but they were figuring it out. Having to pack their own starting gates is an entirely new experience for our guys.

Having a (much) smaller number of riders does seem to simplify things by a lot. No A/B practices, no extra qualifiers, etc. Since the first-day action at Charlotte was rained out, everyone was still wrestling with the schedule.

As far as talent, there were good guys on both sides of the pond, but the deeper you got into the fields, the speed quickly dropped off on both sides.

The two-day format was a flashback to what the Nationals here were like here back in the day. That results in a lot of down time, though there were obviously no support classes (125, 150, 250, 300, Women, etc.) It makes for a pretty leisurely weekend. It was better for being able to chat with people you wanted to talk to.

Saturday at Glen Helen was a ghost town. Sunday was a bit better, but it was still a small crowd. GP racing seems to attract the guys with a connection to it...like they'd been to the Carlsbad GP back in the day, and remembered the huge crowds that it used to draw. On Saturday, I'd guess that nearly universally that it was a crowd made up of 50-plus-year-old guys. On Sunday the age dropped a bit, but it was still primarily made up of older hard-core fans. They need to connect with the younger fans here somehow.

If you listen to the jungle drums, there might be ample chances to see GPs here in the future. We've heard rumors of up to four per year here. We'll have to wait and see if that proves to be true.

The Shop

9/12/2016 5:20pm
Can't speak for Charlotte, but Glen Helen will have more spectators at this weekends WORCS race... I was really disappointed.
9/12/2016 6:30pm Edited Date/Time 9/12/2016 6:31pm
Charlotte's attendance numbers don't reflect the buzz and excitement that was in the air. I'd call it a total success. I'm actually proud as hell to say I was there, and got to see what I saw Smile Pumped that it's coming back next year. I think it will get even more participation by both riders and fans
kkawboy14
9/12/2016 6:37pm
GuyB wrote:
Here are a few things from my perspective. From the teams I talked to last weekend, most of them seemed to enjoy Charlotte and Glen Helen...

From the teams I talked to last weekend, most of them seemed to enjoy Charlotte and Glen Helen. There was a little confusion on schedules, and staging and start procedures among the U.S. guys, but they were figuring it out. Having to pack their own starting gates is an entirely new experience for our guys.

Having a (much) smaller number of riders does seem to simplify things by a lot. No A/B practices, no extra qualifiers, etc. Since the first-day action at Charlotte was rained out, everyone was still wrestling with the schedule.

As far as talent, there were good guys on both sides of the pond, but the deeper you got into the fields, the speed quickly dropped off on both sides.

The two-day format was a flashback to what the Nationals here were like here back in the day. That results in a lot of down time, though there were obviously no support classes (125, 150, 250, 300, Women, etc.) It makes for a pretty leisurely weekend. It was better for being able to chat with people you wanted to talk to.

Saturday at Glen Helen was a ghost town. Sunday was a bit better, but it was still a small crowd. GP racing seems to attract the guys with a connection to it...like they'd been to the Carlsbad GP back in the day, and remembered the huge crowds that it used to draw. On Saturday, I'd guess that nearly universally that it was a crowd made up of 50-plus-year-old guys. On Sunday the age dropped a bit, but it was still primarily made up of older hard-core fans. They need to connect with the younger fans here somehow.

If you listen to the jungle drums, there might be ample chances to see GPs here in the future. We've heard rumors of up to four per year here. We'll have to wait and see if that proves to be true.
Cool thx!
davis224
Fantasy
138th
9/12/2016 6:39pm
Please let Indiana or Red Bud get a GP
Jack_Wagon
9/12/2016 6:52pm Edited Date/Time 9/12/2016 6:53pm
We decided about noon Saturday to make the trip from Atlanta to Charlotte. I am so glad we went. That was the best race I've ever been to. Getting to see the bikes up close, the track, the racing, and everything about it was awesome. The petty bs arguing about US riders vs Euro riders used to not bother me, but now it's old. They're all great riders and put on one hell of a race. If you didn't go to one of these races because of the lack of AMA participants you missed out, and you're not a true fan of motocross in general.
51xc
9/12/2016 6:58pm
I think it was a success and it seems both the ama and gp riders could learn from each others approaches to racing. I recall tomac, webb and a couple other ama guys say how much more 'relaxed' the gp guys are and that most of them are on friendly terms and all pretty much talk to each other etc.. where on the other side guys like herlings found it odd that none of the ama riders talked to each other but then again was quite impressed on how focused they are on the racing and all the preparation leading into it.
The racing itself was really good at both venues in my opinion.
731chopper
Fantasy
355th
9/12/2016 6:59pm
My old man and I watched the last half of the second 450 moto yesterday and the first thing he said was "Wow, why is nobody there?" referring to the spectators.

Why don't more people in Southern California go? I know the average motocross fan in the US doesn't follow the GPs but you'd think they'd still go with some of the Americans being there. I'd go if it was within a few hours from me.
9/12/2016 7:11pm
GuyB wrote:
Here are a few things from my perspective. From the teams I talked to last weekend, most of them seemed to enjoy Charlotte and Glen Helen...

was honored to work with Frank and the Marshal crew Saturday and Sunday. Your perception is 100%, spot-on and 10x better then I could have explained it.

The only piece i'll add, which may not be news to anyone else is how professional and squared away the FIM staff is. They take the racing business very seriously and all though we can all deduce it takes an army to pull something like this off, it's pretty damn impressive what they do to provide a safe environment for the riders and staff. Listening in to the radio frequencies was a real treat. There's a ton of communication and everyone has got their stuff squared away.

Walked away from the GP with a lot more respect and admiration for ANY large scale MX event.

Doug
KirkChandler
Fantasy
278th
9/12/2016 8:11pm
731chopper wrote:
My old man and I watched the last half of the second 450 moto yesterday and the first thing he said was "Wow, why is nobody...
My old man and I watched the last half of the second 450 moto yesterday and the first thing he said was "Wow, why is nobody there?" referring to the spectators.

Why don't more people in Southern California go? I know the average motocross fan in the US doesn't follow the GPs but you'd think they'd still go with some of the Americans being there. I'd go if it was within a few hours from me.
$50 general admission ticket for Sunday only for a race filled with 95% of the riders the average So Cal fan has no clue about.

A lot of my friends turned down going because it was $50. They probably won't be paying the $80+ dollar MXDN ticket either. Add on the $20 parking fee (with no one there to direct traffic after the race). $35 event T Shirts, $20 pit passes, lunch, drinks, etc it's an expensive day to watch a bunch of dudes you don't really know compared to the AMA guys that you have followed their entire career and see 5 other times in SX and at the National.

If Tomac/Dungey/Roczen/Anderson/Stewart/Reed/Seely/Wilson/Canard/Tickle/Barcia/Peick/Etc raced in the 450s against the GP guys there would be more attendance. And if it was $30 bucks each with open pits/ it would be packed.

If I had to guess (not knowing their deal), financially it was not a success. Racing wise it was a great race.
JB 19
9/12/2016 8:44pm Edited Date/Time 9/12/2016 10:09pm
I'm a big fan of these races. I would love to see more US riders participating. Somehow I think if the races were in the Midwest the crowds may be larger. Wink
kzizok
Fantasy
2068th
9/12/2016 9:04pm
Personally, I think the low interest is more attributed to timing, ie being the last race. All the drama is gone. Sure, there are the us vs them bragging rights but championship tactics and points fluctuations are pretty much irrelevant.
Bearuno
9/12/2016 9:38pm Edited Date/Time 9/12/2016 9:39pm
This is Not Anti US, in any way - please read with a sensible mindset:

How in hell could they hold more MXGPs in the US?

Luongo is kidding himself.

You've got people bleating about the packed schedule as it is, and you get virtually no one at the Glen Helen GPs.

As it is, with some of the "sweet heart deals" I've read that are given to the US races , the rest of the World rounds are subsidizing the US and other fly away rounds.

Even with better pricing to Dr Feldcamp and Co, I can't see them having made anything but a succession of loss's from the GPs. They deserve every penny they might make from next year's MXDN.

Southern California is patently not that interested in the GPs. The East might well be more interested, but how in hell can Luongo think he'll get much interest in more GPs in America? He'll leave a string of bankruptcies behind him, and do even more damage to The World Championships.

A single round in the US, in the right spot, and a round in Canada. I'm sure the Cannucks would flock to a GP held at the right track, at the right time.
robkinuk
9/12/2016 11:30pm
Love Glen Helen, the track, staff etc but I wonder if the fickle SoCal crowd will even support the MXDN, judging by the empty stands, fences etc.

Even with Eli Tomac winning with home court advantage, it seems they prefer to go to the beach or practice tracks rather than watch some great racing?

Hope Bud Feldcamp and his team finally get a decent gate in Sept. 2017 for MXDn?

Will top riders decline to race for Team USA at home, saying they are too busy preparing for Anaheim 1?

Perhaps half of the crowd will be other countries, who will travel half way around the world to support their nation.
HenryA
9/12/2016 11:43pm
GH was nice, needs more riders tho. MX2 looked like a joke on the starting grid, especially if you consider that it's the "world championship".
Whitey
9/12/2016 11:54pm
The sport has reached a saturation point and more gp's arent going to fix it, just damage it which luongo and his cronies seem to be masters at. When there is a race almost every week its hard to get excited about, you need a good 4 month off season to build the excitement. All these extra races with half baked fields are pathetic. Why do you think major sports have a substantial break between seasons?
9/12/2016 11:57pm
I know this may sound a bit Anti American, but it's not meant to be.
I think most American fans want to see American riders totally dominate the rest of the world and aren't interested if it isn't a dead cert. so don't go .
Well, Eli changed that and if Herlings wasn't in mx2!
Maybe there will be more fans and riders there next time.
Oh ,as for price, if it's the same as a national , surely that should be ok?
TKL965
9/13/2016 1:18am
I'm just praying for another Aussie round!
Bearuno
9/13/2016 1:54am
TKL965 wrote:
I'm just praying for another Aussie round!
You pay Luongo for the privilege, and you'll have one.

I don't think anyone is foolish enough to cough up the money here for it.

You, I and a few thousand might go to it, but you'd need many, Many thousands to attend.

After the Swiss GP this year, I read an interview with the head of the promotion group - he said it was doubtful that they'd break even, and they'd need to bring in more stand seating, to start to get close to doing so, if they run it next year. Luongo will probably be applying his sliding scale of charges - ever upwards- to the event, as he seems to do with most of them. Until no more blood drips out of the viens.......
themrtoad
9/13/2016 2:39am
I think it will work out actually with more gp's being held in USA. The Supercross will grow on expense of ama nationals. The GP's will also grow on expense of the ama nationals.

Sooner or later the bike manufacturers and other companies in the industry will not spill their money on three different series(SX, Ama Nats, GP's)

SX will survive. GP's will survive because they can present a presence worldwide. From a selling point I think the gp's has the upper hand over ama nats.

If the ama nats disappears maybe the gp's will attract a bigger crowd in the US? I also don't think the size of the crowd at place is that important. They look for a good reach on social media, Live streaming and tv coverage I guess.
themrtoad
9/13/2016 2:42am
I would like to add that I follow the Ama nats closely(at least I try to but it's close to impossible in Sweden)

I would however welcome one MX serie just like in motogp. Even if it means less rounds in Europe to visit or easily follow through tv without staying up all night.
struth
9/13/2016 2:54am
If they had a gp in Australia and they had reed doing the promoting and man made MX track in one of the major city...they would get decent crowds.....
Whitey
9/13/2016 3:27am
themrtoad wrote:
I think it will work out actually with more gp's being held in USA. The Supercross will grow on expense of ama nationals. The GP's will...
I think it will work out actually with more gp's being held in USA. The Supercross will grow on expense of ama nationals. The GP's will also grow on expense of the ama nationals.

Sooner or later the bike manufacturers and other companies in the industry will not spill their money on three different series(SX, Ama Nats, GP's)

SX will survive. GP's will survive because they can present a presence worldwide. From a selling point I think the gp's has the upper hand over ama nats.

If the ama nats disappears maybe the gp's will attract a bigger crowd in the US? I also don't think the size of the crowd at place is that important. They look for a good reach on social media, Live streaming and tv coverage I guess.
I dont see the crowds getting any bigger in the us if there are no nats as the big stars still wont race the gps. There is no reason for them to join a series that is of no importance to them. I guarantee riders will be talking to managers a lot more now after this recent shit show and making sure they dont have these clauses where they have show up to fair races like the gps.

The only benefit for the riders is they may get that longer break to heal up.
jamma10
9/13/2016 3:51am
themrtoad wrote:
I think it will work out actually with more gp's being held in USA. The Supercross will grow on expense of ama nationals. The GP's will...

Whitey wrote:
I dont see the crowds getting any bigger in the us if there are no nats as the big stars still wont race the gps. There...
I dont see the crowds getting any bigger in the us if there are no nats as the big stars still wont race the gps. There is no reason for them to join a series that is of no importance to them. I guarantee riders will be talking to managers a lot more now after this recent shit show and making sure they dont have these clauses where they have show up to fair races like the gps.

RacerX: How much you enjoyed this experience? This is the second one in a row with the MXGP riders. I guess you’re happy with your performance but also to be with these guys racing and showing your potential against them.
Tomac: Yeah, I had a lot of fun. Obviously everyone’s really fast, but everyone respects each other, it seems like. It’s clean racing, so I enjoyed it. I would definitely come back for another one.

Transworld Motocross 'How was your weekend':
You know these were a couple of races that I really enjoyed, you know, riding my motorcycle, you know the formats different to, it's just something different and something fresh. You know we're still racing dirtbikes but the schedules different, you're racing different guys, you know guys across the whole world so it's cool when everyone gets together. And I was able to get the wins so that made it extra special so I had a couple of fun weekends.
Whitey
9/13/2016 4:05am
themrtoad wrote:

Whitey wrote:
I dont see the crowds getting any bigger in the us if there are no nats as the big stars still wont race the gps. There...

jamma10 wrote:
[b]RacerX: How much you enjoyed this experience? This is the second one in a row with the MXGP riders. I guess you’re happy with your performance...
RacerX: How much you enjoyed this experience? This is the second one in a row with the MXGP riders. I guess you’re happy with your performance but also to be with these guys racing and showing your potential against them.
Tomac: Yeah, I had a lot of fun. Obviously everyone’s really fast, but everyone respects each other, it seems like. It’s clean racing, so I enjoyed it. I would definitely come back for another one.

Transworld Motocross 'How was your weekend':
You know these were a couple of races that I really enjoyed, you know, riding my motorcycle, you know the formats different to, it's just something different and something fresh. You know we're still racing dirtbikes but the schedules different, you're racing different guys, you know guys across the whole world so it's cool when everyone gets together. And I was able to get the wins so that made it extra special so I had a couple of fun weekends.
Yep thats cool and all but lets be realistic here and see if someone of Eli.'s stature shows up without the pressure from monster or team. That there will be your real answer.

If Eli is healthy next year and doesn't race these again you know these interviews are nothing but fluff.

Post a reply to: I haven't heard yet the 2 USGPs....

The Latest