I have to vent! Acceptable behavior when purchasing a motorcycle.

Racerx930
Edited Date/Time 9/24/2014 9:16am
The older I get the more I realize this "The customer is always right" stuff is BULL SHIT! I have quite a few vintage race bikes and have a few of them up for sale. Here is the story of trying to sell 2 of them.

I have a guy ask me to go out of my way to show him a bike at 6:00 a.m. this morning and he shows up in a car! Really?! If you're going to ask someone to show you a bike at 6 in the morning you should probably show up with a damn truck, cash, and be ready to buy if an acceptable deal is made.

Bike 2 is a bike that's out of the price range for most buyers. The first e-mail I get from the guy is "Is your price firm". Now I realize a lot of people are going to see nothing wrong with this, but this one pisses me off. I explain to him that I'm not in a hurry to get rid of the bike and that I would hold off unless I could get what I was asking out of it. This is when I get the big long 3 paragraph e-mail regarding the economy (Like I don't already know) and the low ball offer. I politely decline the offer. Now he comes back and makes an offer to pay the asking price if I let him pay $1000 down, and I hold on to the bike until he pays it off. Like I said I'm not in a hurry to get rid of the bike and I tell him we could arrange that. Then he e-mails me back "Oh I think I will just see if I can sell my bike first then I can just buy yours."
|
FastEddy
Fantasy
890th
10/15/2011 7:11am Edited Date/Time 10/15/2011 7:13am
Try selling a boat sometime if you think that selling a dirt bike is bad. SmileGrinning
You ain't seen nothing. hehehhee
All the low-balling-joe-dirt-looking-expert-lookie-lou-time-wasting-retarded-wanting-to-test-drive-joy-riding-freaks-of-nature come out of the wood work and dont forget the guy that can barley speak English that offers you 5k for a 50k low blue book boat. I thought it was bad enough up North trying to sell one...but down here in Florida it takes the cake... Laughing
machine
10/15/2011 7:16am
Sorry, that's just part of selling things these days. Hell. only about 2 out of 10 will even show up when they say they want to come and look at it. That one pisses me off to no end. You put your time on hold and wait for him to show up and they don't even have the courtesy to call or email to let you know they aren't coming.

I guess you can't get emotional, it's just business, but people need to learn some basic business etiquette.
machine
10/15/2011 7:16am
FastEddy wrote:
Try selling a boat sometime if you think that selling a dirt bike is bad. :) :lol: You ain't seen nothing. hehehhee All the [b]low-balling-joe-dirt-looking-expert-lookie-lou-time-wasting-retarded-wanting-to-test-drive-joy-riding-freaks-of-nature [/b]come...
Try selling a boat sometime if you think that selling a dirt bike is bad. SmileGrinning
You ain't seen nothing. hehehhee
All the low-balling-joe-dirt-looking-expert-lookie-lou-time-wasting-retarded-wanting-to-test-drive-joy-riding-freaks-of-nature come out of the wood work and dont forget the guy that can barley speak English that offers you 5k for a 50k low blue book boat. I thought it was bad enough up North trying to sell one...but down here in Florida it takes the cake... Laughing
blue book doesn't seem to matter anymore does it.
Racerx930
10/15/2011 7:24am
You know I've worked at dealerships and stuff in the past and realize people have been told this is the proper way to negotiate but it's not. I can't count how many times I've worked at a dealership and someone would come in and say "would you take this" and when you say OK they say "OK let me think about it"

I don't even really care about the low balling, I politely declined the low ball offer. It's when someone makes an offer (especially one that goes above and beyond what a normal deal should be) then pulls a flake move that pisses me off.

The Shop

FastEddy
Fantasy
890th
10/15/2011 7:24am Edited Date/Time 10/15/2011 7:30am
machine wrote:
blue book doesn't seem to matter anymore does it.
Just depends on what it is. Wink
Sometimes they are way high & sometimes way low....
IMO: Those books are only good for loan purposes when it comes to boats.

The last 2 boats I sold....
Nada Guide had my 1806 Pathfinder Bay boat listed at 7.5k...which was a joke.
I sold it within a month for 14k and had plenty of cash in hand offers in the 10 & 12k range that i turned down.
It also had my bullet bass boat listed at about 30k but with a different motor (250VMax).
My boat had a high performance 280 merc on it(did about 102 on GPs with just me in it vs 85 mph with a 250Vmax)....and lots of real spendy upgrades as far as the electronics & accessories went....I got 45k for it,but it took 4 months to sell it.

When certain things are a dime a dozen...they (the books) are usually on the high side....
But it really just depends.
Things are only worth what you can get for them. Wink
ATKpilot99
10/15/2011 7:38am
Once when I was selling a bike a guy came over to look, test rode it, then asked if he could take a pic of the bike. I thought that was kinda strange but being the easygoing person I am I said sure. About a week later I see an ad for my bike with an asking price a couple hundred more than what I was asking. I had them take the ad down, lol.
machine
10/15/2011 7:42am
"Things are only worth what you can get for them. "

Yep, for 4stroke MX bikes you can pretty much throw the blue book/NADA guide out the window.

Maybe they called it NADA because that's what your going to get for it...lol!

102mph in a freakin bass boat? that's crazy....Grinning
machine
10/15/2011 7:44am
ATKpilot99 wrote:
Once when I was selling a bike a guy came over to look, test rode it, then asked if he could take a pic of the...
Once when I was selling a bike a guy came over to look, test rode it, then asked if he could take a pic of the bike. I thought that was kinda strange but being the easygoing person I am I said sure. About a week later I see an ad for my bike with an asking price a couple hundred more than what I was asking. I had them take the ad down, lol.
what was that all about?
10/15/2011 7:45am
I was selling an 05 YZ450 a woman calls me because her husband doesn't english she is asking me questions direct from him in Russian WTF???? 7pm they are on there way from Chicago to look at it Hmmmm ok they get to my house about 930pm in a Black mercedes again all that way without a truck or trailer ????

She gets out pretty smoking hot HUGE camel toe Smile he looks it over has her ask me a bunch of questions because he only speaks russian LOL her and I chat it up as she is very nice. I ask where he is going to ride it, he tells her on the streets of Chicago LOLOL she rolls her eyes I explain it is a dirt bike and he is well aware ???? and they leave WTF ???? I HATE selling things .
ATKpilot99
10/15/2011 7:45am
machine wrote:
what was that all about?
No idea. Very strange. I guess he was trying to make a buck but I don't know how he planned to show the bike.
Racerx930
10/15/2011 7:53am Edited Date/Time 10/15/2011 7:54am
moder 4 strokes? blah I build old ones!

I also had another deal go pretty bad recently. I had a lady who seemed very very nice want a TTR50 that I ended up with in a trade. She wanted a few certain things on it plastic and graphic wise. I told her I would get it the way she wanted it and sell it to her for what I thought was a very reasonable price $650. I asked for $100 up front since I was going to be putting some money into it that I normally wouldn't and she was very excited about it. Well finally she shows up with her boyfriend and he just goes into total ass hole mode trying to pick it apart etc. and repeats several times how they're just not going to pay over $500 for it. I explained that I would have to decline and if he wanted a perfect one that they sell new ones. The poor girl was almost in tears, I called her the next day and gave her $100 back but probably shouldn't have.
FastEddy
Fantasy
890th
10/15/2011 7:55am Edited Date/Time 10/15/2011 7:58am
machine wrote:
[b]"Things are only worth what you can get for them. "[/b] Yep, for 4stroke MX bikes you can pretty much throw the blue book/NADA guide out...

Yep, for 4stroke MX bikes you can pretty much throw the blue book/NADA guide out the window.

"102mph in a freakin bass boat? that's crazy...."

It was 20ft in length....It held 58 gallons of fuel...but when you left about 15 gallons in it and got rid of the 3 extra trolling motor batteries and took the trolling motor off the front,emptied all the compartments etc... to lighten it. I got it up to 102mph with a hand held GPS attached to the steering wheel.Had a hot foot in it..gas pedal..trim was turn signal trim( ez to operate at high speeds).Had a 12 inch Jack Plate on it also that was set back a little.When you hit that jack plate after you were trimmed out ,it felt life you were floating on air,only about 2-3 inches of the boat was in the water. Full load (capped off with gas,livewell full etc..) with me & another guy ran about 80-85 mph depending on conditions,but you couldn't raise the plate all the way up because of to much weight in the rear (that is where the fuel tanks were),it would chine walk really bad.
Racerx930
10/15/2011 7:57am
526 wrote:
I was selling an 05 YZ450 a woman calls me because her husband doesn't english she is asking me questions direct from him in Russian WTF...
I was selling an 05 YZ450 a woman calls me because her husband doesn't english she is asking me questions direct from him in Russian WTF???? 7pm they are on there way from Chicago to look at it Hmmmm ok they get to my house about 930pm in a Black mercedes again all that way without a truck or trailer ????

She gets out pretty smoking hot HUGE camel toe Smile he looks it over has her ask me a bunch of questions because he only speaks russian LOL her and I chat it up as she is very nice. I ask where he is going to ride it, he tells her on the streets of Chicago LOLOL she rolls her eyes I explain it is a dirt bike and he is well aware ???? and they leave WTF ???? I HATE selling things .
I sold a guy an XR200 one time that was in no way shape or form street legal and he took off down the street with it and rode it home.
machine
10/15/2011 7:58am
machine wrote:
[b]"Things are only worth what you can get for them. "[/b] Yep, for 4stroke MX bikes you can pretty much throw the blue book/NADA guide out...

FastEddy wrote:
[i]"102mph in a freakin bass boat? that's crazy...."[/i] It was 20ft in length....It held 58 gallons of fuel...but when you left about 15 gallons in it...
"102mph in a freakin bass boat? that's crazy...."

It was 20ft in length....It held 58 gallons of fuel...but when you left about 15 gallons in it and got rid of the 3 extra trolling motor batteries and took the trolling motor off the front,emptied all the compartments etc... to lighten it. I got it up to 102mph with a hand held GPS attached to the steering wheel.Had a hot foot in it..gas pedal..trim was turn signal trim( ez to operate at high speeds).Had a 12 inch Jack Plate on it also that was set back a little.When you hit that jack plate after you were trimmed out ,it felt life you were floating on air,only about 2-3 inches of the boat was in the water. Full load (capped off with gas,livewell full etc..) with me & another guy ran about 80-85 mph depending on conditions,but you couldn't raise the plate all the way up because of to much weight in the rear (that is where the fuel tanks were),it would chine walk really bad.
Didn't you worry about the front catching air and coming up on you and going into a flip?
FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4231st
10/15/2011 7:59am
ATKpilot99 wrote:
Once when I was selling a bike a guy came over to look, test rode it, then asked if he could take a pic of the...
Todd Applegate? Evil
FastEddy
Fantasy
890th
10/15/2011 8:00am Edited Date/Time 10/15/2011 8:04am
machine wrote:
Didn't you worry about the front catching air and coming up on you and going into a flip?
Not really....
It's not something you just go out and buy & do.
I have had boats my whole life and it's something that you work your way up to and learn how to drive it.
I did however scare a few friends in it. Smile
But boats like that are huge money pits....
You change a prop playing around with it to try to get more low end or top end and drive shafts break. Smile
About 3k to get one replaced.
Hit something and destroy a lower unit...their about 9k to get replaced.
machine
10/15/2011 8:02am
machine wrote:
FastEddy wrote:
Not really.... It's not something you just go out and buy & do. I have had boats my whole life and it's something that you work...
Not really....
It's not something you just go out and buy & do.
I have had boats my whole life and it's something that you work your way up to and learn how to drive it.
I did however scare a few friends in it. Smile
But boats like that are huge money pits....
You change a prop playing around with it to try to get more low end or top end and drive shafts break. Smile
About 3k to get one replaced.
Hit something and destroy a lower unit...their about 9k to get replaced.
Note to self : Never go boating with Eddy.....Grinning
Racerx930
10/15/2011 8:14am Edited Date/Time 10/15/2011 8:15am
What I might of forgot to say was I had finally had enough and let the last guy have it. I think there is 3 parts of a deal. An offer, acceptance, then transfer of money and goods. Once you've made an offer and I've accepted that's not the appropriate time someone to say "OK if I can sell my bike first".
FastEddy
Fantasy
890th
10/15/2011 8:16am Edited Date/Time 11/28/2011 7:31am
machine wrote:
Note to self : Never go boating with Eddy.....Grinning
When I owned that Bullet Bass Boat I was living up in Washington State near the Columbia river.
That river can be calm as glass in morning and 3 to 4ft roller & white caps in the afternoon when the wind picks up.
We were fishing a tournament out of Camas Washington and plan was to run up near Bonneville Dam to this
little slough right next to an area called Beacon Rock. We flew up there fished and got a small limit and were
heading back at about 4PM and we were going about 75mph through this area called Cape Horn (are weigh-in time was 4:15).My partner was an old buddy of mine....but it was his first time in that boat with me (he was one of those big talkers,you know nothing scares me).It was so rough....and I was flying through that area pretty much tripling 4ft high white caps at 75mph.I looked over at him he had had his head bowed down grabbing the handle on the console,
he had his eyes closed ,hands & knuckles looked white because he was gripping it so hard.
He looked scared to death....When we got back to weigh-in,he was trembling...even 30 minutes later his knees were still shaking. lol My Scott googles held up that day though lol.
mooch
Fantasy
501st
10/15/2011 8:16am Edited Date/Time 10/15/2011 8:16am
ATKpilot99 wrote:
Todd Applegate? Evil
Wow, an-ultra shady Ohio dude that made a name for himself nationwide!

I made the mistake of unknowingly replying to an ad he had for an 81YZ250 and once it became clear that something wasn't right with his replies I asked him not to contact me again. In keeping with his usual style, his emails continued and became more and more belligerent as time went on..ultimately blocked his email addy.

A year or so later, I have the 81YZ250 at a practice track and a guy walks up looking at it asking if I was interested in selling it. As the dude was introducing himself, I was shaking his hand as he said his name was Todd Applegate, I pretty much pulled my hand back mid-handshake!
Electro
10/15/2011 8:16am
Had a friend in Milwaukee trying to sell his harley, can't remember the model but it was a fairly new bike. So my friend see's the guy walking acrossed the street and assumes he is coming frome his vehicle, the guy asks to testride then he never came back.
motoxxx599
Fantasy
985th
10/15/2011 8:18am
I was racing the 250 class at Dallas in 2000. In the pits after the night show a guy wanted to know if I was going to be selling my bikes anytime soon. Dallas was going to be my last SX of the year and I was actually going to be buying Hondas that week for the Outdoor series, so I made the guy a good deal and he pooled enough cash to buy my 2000 KX 250 right there on the spot. I gave him my # and took his address so I could mail the title to him when I got home. About an hour later, as we were heading back home to Galveston, he called and said that the bike had been stolen from a Dennys that he and his boys stopped at to eat after they bought the bike. He wanted to know if he could get half the money back for his bad luck. No dice, chief.
jeffro503
10/15/2011 8:19am
To the original poster : I feel your pain! I have been through selling these bikes numerous times myself. The good news is , is if you have your bike at a descent price , then don't worry about it. Sooner or later , you will get a legitimate buyer. BE CAREFUL on this down payment thing! The guy may take a year to pay you off , then change his mind , and cause you even MORE grief!! Have him pay it all , or find another buyer would be my advice.
Hallzilla
10/15/2011 8:28am
Racerx930 wrote:
The older I get the more I realize this "The customer is always right" stuff is BULL SHIT! I have quite a few vintage race bikes...
The older I get the more I realize this "The customer is always right" stuff is BULL SHIT! I have quite a few vintage race bikes and have a few of them up for sale. Here is the story of trying to sell 2 of them.

I have a guy ask me to go out of my way to show him a bike at 6:00 a.m. this morning and he shows up in a car! Really?! If you're going to ask someone to show you a bike at 6 in the morning you should probably show up with a damn truck, cash, and be ready to buy if an acceptable deal is made.

Bike 2 is a bike that's out of the price range for most buyers. The first e-mail I get from the guy is "Is your price firm". Now I realize a lot of people are going to see nothing wrong with this, but this one pisses me off. I explain to him that I'm not in a hurry to get rid of the bike and that I would hold off unless I could get what I was asking out of it. This is when I get the big long 3 paragraph e-mail regarding the economy (Like I don't already know) and the low ball offer. I politely decline the offer. Now he comes back and makes an offer to pay the asking price if I let him pay $1000 down, and I hold on to the bike until he pays it off. Like I said I'm not in a hurry to get rid of the bike and I tell him we could arrange that. Then he e-mails me back "Oh I think I will just see if I can sell my bike first then I can just buy yours."
WOW BRO, you and i are having the same exact morning. I am selling a really cool Baja Bug, I worked last night until 1:00am
and have a 1 hour drive home, anyway guy calls and wants to see it at 6:30 this morning, shows up with his mechanic buddy, i let them test drive,,give them the hole nine yard deal with everything, and bring out every part i have for it. KOOK says he Loves it but has to look at 2 others, and would PROBABLY like to buy it tomorrow morning around the same time
FU is what i wanted to say but instead i told him someone else is coming to buy it if you don't. SEE YA Dickhead

I feel like i don't even want him to have it, even if he calls again to purchase !
Racerx930
10/15/2011 8:33am
Hall I'm right with you! I'm somewhat fortunate in that I don't really need to sell the bike at this time but damn! I fired off this response to Mr. Make an offer without having the means to make the purchase

I realize at some point someones probably told you this is the right way to work a deal but it's not. Obviously you had no idea but you've found my biggest pet peeve. You made an offer I could live with, I accepted, then you pulled a flake move. I'm sure you're a very nice guy and all but I don't do business like this. Please do not e-mail me again.
FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4231st
10/15/2011 8:34am
Cash and carry to the first one who shows by the time I set with the green I'm willing to take. If you're the first to call, maybe you get a window of two hours before others get told to come. If it's a lot of money, maybe we step down to the bank together so I see you withdraw it.

No holding it for a week while you rustle the dough up. If it's still here when you have the dough, buy it then.

The used bikes I've sold I price low to sell fast, so I'm not inclined to go a lot lower. And I'll usually strip the good stuff to sell on ebay or close the deal by tossing it in then. It just takes too long to sell bikes unless you price them right at the start. It's amazing how many Craigslist ads (and I check every day) you see repeating for months on some generic bike priced at blue book where the seller insists the bike is worth that much even though other people are selling the same bike for a grand or two less. If you aren't really trying to sell, but just find a premium buyer and are willing to wait that out, fine, but I think most of those folks do want to sell now and don't have a grasp what the bike's worth on the market now. And I don't really have a problem giving a guy his asking price if I know it's fair in the market and the bike's in good shape.
Ryno784
10/15/2011 8:52am
Racerx930 wrote:
The older I get the more I realize this "The customer is always right" stuff is BULL SHIT! I have quite a few vintage race bikes...

lol I manage a bike shop and deal with this crap everyday...I like the ones that want to haggle before they even see the bike...classic.
FLmxer
Fantasy
898th
10/15/2011 8:57am
I just sold an old rusted John deere rider mower that has been rusting out on my property since the starter went out along with other issues. I put it on craigslist and got a dozen emails in the first few hours. The first guy I talk to says he is going to take it sight unseen in the morning for sure and to tell the rest it is sold. Next day he is a no show but calls that night giving me a story of why he could not come but he would definately be there the next morning. No show again so i relist it and sell it right away. People do not care about your time these days.
Fast Eddy, Good times, I have a 24t tower Pathfinder and a Triton tr 19, I don't know where you are located but I fish a lot and always looking for tourney partners, especially ones that talk moto. lol I am a 3rd generation guide and tourney angler. I am in Fort Myers and I know Okeechobee like the back of my hand and was leading the bassbusters series this year until i blew my powerhead. I have cashed quite a few checks for the little green fish. Repowering the Triton next month. This is my favorite time of year to fish.
captmoto
10/15/2011 9:00am
There are as many shady sellers as buyers. I've been looking a little to get back on a modern bike. I've done quite a bit of driving for "immaculate" condition bikes with hacked plastics, shot chains and sprockets and worn tires. Then, they takes 10 or 12 kicks to start which makes me think intake valves. I am one of those buyers that doesn't buy on the first visit, sorry, if it's buyer beware, I will be very wary
Racerx930
10/15/2011 9:05am
captmoto wrote:
There are as many shady sellers as buyers. I've been looking a little to get back on a modern bike. I've done quite a bit of...
There are as many shady sellers as buyers. I've been looking a little to get back on a modern bike. I've done quite a bit of driving for "immaculate" condition bikes with hacked plastics, shot chains and sprockets and worn tires. Then, they takes 10 or 12 kicks to start which makes me think intake valves. I am one of those buyers that doesn't buy on the first visit, sorry, if it's buyer beware, I will be very wary
I buy alot of bikes so I know what you'r saying. For the most part people aren't intentionally lying to you though. Some peoples standards for good condition aren't just very high.

And as far as not buying on the first trip I can't agree on that one, I guess if you have lots of free time. If I'm going to look at something I'm going because I'm going to buy it if it's what I'm looking for. No use wasting everyones time with multiple trips.

Post a reply to: I have to vent! Acceptable behavior when purchasing a motorcycle.

The Latest