"I don't feel like the pace is any different from when I raced Ricky"

FlaNard
2/3/2014 12:11pm Edited Date/Time 2/5/2014 8:30am
Very good read from Reed.

http://racerxonline.com/2014/02/03/monday-conversation-chad-reed

He did it again! On Saturday night, Discount Tire TwoTwo Motorsports’ Chad Reed took his second-straight Monster Energy Supercross win at Angel Stadium. That’s two wins in three races for Reed, and we can no longer act shocked about any of this. Afterwards, Reed provided a great interview—which is also no shock.

Racer X: There was pressure the whole time but you looked comfortable out there.
Chad Reed: I felt good. I just tried to concentrate on my race and just kept telling myself just do what you do at home, just pound out the laps and watch the pit board. I knew that I wasn’t really giving up anything too much anywhere. The little places he [Ken Roczen] was gaining, I was gaining back. So I felt good out there. I was surprised that we got 12, 13, 14 laps in and it became clear that it was going to be Kenny or I that was going to battle for the thing [and we’d pulled away from everyone else]. It was fun. Kenny rode super clean and hard. Threw it up the inside one time but you just respect people if they race like that. He’s just good a kid that’s coming out of Europe. They just race real … they race hard but clean, and that’s fine.

How about the track?
There were whoops so that’s nice. They were sketchy. There wasn’t a lap that I went through there that didn’t feel like the first. As much as I love whoops and I feel like it’s an advantage for me, I was scared as hell every lap. I just kind of tried to throw it in there and you just rely on your bike doing what it’s going to do. One lap I think I might have missed one in the middle there and kind of gave me a little bit of a buck, but other than that it was all right.

In your race with Kenny was there a place that you felt like you were pulling him or a place that he was pulling you?
Through kind of the mechanics area I felt like I was pretty strong through there. After the whoops, I think he was pretty good in the whoops too. Young, full of testosterone, probably throwing it in there a little more than what I was. I was just making sure to be solid every lap, not to give up too much. So pretty much from the whoops through to the next set of whoops I felt like I gave up some time to him. I could always hear him right on me and then I would kind of just pull that gap back out. Last lap was tough. I just tried to grind away, not make any mistakes in the whoops and get the turns down. I think a lapper got in-between us. I actually got a little bit scared because those lappers just came together and then they were still fighting. We came up on them so fast I don’t think [Jimmy] Albertson knew I was there. I was kind of giving the bike a bit of a revs and doing all those good things to try to make him aware that I was there.

You’re just two points out. How do you feel about going forward?
I feel good about going East Coast. I’m ready to get out of California, but one more stop, which is one of my favorite stops. It’s been good to me over the years. So hopefully, yeah, we can go to San Diego. It’ll be nice. It’s been a long, long time in my career, maybe ’09, since I got back-to-back wins. It will be nice to go there and try to get a win and then head East Coast.

Physically, at age 31, we all can put numbers and stats behind all that. But how do you feel? Do you feel any different than when you were 25 or 21?
I feel better at 31 than I did at 30, so that’s nice. [Laughs] I think this year it was harder to get into shape. The numbers that you’re used to seeing and how long it normally gets there, my body’s always been pretty good at responding and getting my weight off, getting down to fighting weight, getting in shape, getting up that intensity. That all happened a lot slower this year. That kind of gives me a heads up that that’s probably not going to get any better next year! For me, I like to go and have and an off-season. I’m not like these robots out here that just 24/7 they’re athletes. I like to go be a human being and have a good time, enjoy life, and hang out with the wife and the kids. So I’ll probably have to shorten up my off-season this year, just give me some time for next year to get back into shape.

And as far as riding speed-wise and all that, I would think everything steps up every year. So wouldn’t you think in general if you go back to ’03 when you first started in this class, aren’t you a better rider than you were then? Wouldn’t everybody be if they’re still winning races?
I feel like I’m better, but, it’s hard to say this, but I don’t feel like the pace is any different than when I raced Ricky [Carmichael]. I really don’t. I don’t think that we have progressed any. I think the race tracks have become way easier than when we used to race. I believe the level of people as far as now there’s 7 or 8 of us that potentially could win on any given weekend, where before it obviously was only James or Ricky or I. So I think that the amount of people [that can win] has come up. And I’m unsure if that’s because they’re all that good or if the tracks are just that easy and the bikes are that good. That’s my opinion, and it probably won’t be liked by some people as a good comment, but that’s just what I see. I’ve been around a long time. I’ve seen it all. The way I have to ride isn’t any different than when I raced Ricky. Racing Ricky and RV [Ryan Villopoto] is so alike. They both attack the track, they’re solid everywhere, they’re there every weekend, they’re great at their turns, getting to the bottom of their turns. In a lot of ways you feel like the same nightmares you have at night are still there! And that’s not taking anything away from anybody, that’s just kind of my feeling of how it is from my side.

What’s this compare to … that was so crazy when you won here two weeks ago. Is this win anything like that?

Two weeks ago was an emotional win just because last year was tough, getting hurt in ’12. You just never know. You believe in yourself and I’ve always been good at that. But we made a lot of choices. I felt that I was out of shape and my knee wasn’t awesome last year, my health wasn’t awesome. And then on top of that I didn’t feel super comfortable on the bike. So this off-season we made a lot of changes and it seems like the choices we made were good. That was emotional, just a lot of pressure off my shoulders, where now it’s about trying to be there every weekend and make my bad one that ninth in Phoenix and now try to just be on the podium ever week.

Do you wish you could pick a track out of the past and throw it into the middle of the season and see how everybody reacted to it?
Yeah, that’d be fun. You put me on the spot; I’m not sure exactly what track. But I think the tracks in ’03, ’04 they were more difficult in the fact that they weren’t so fast. I’m a hater on how fast these racetracks are. They’re super, super fast. The momentum’s just crazy. You’ve got to adapt to it, obviously. You can’t come here and just be mad at the track all weekend. That doesn’t work for me. For me I’ve just got to come here and have fun on whatever it is and get on a plane and go home tomorrow.
|
dirtnapper
2/3/2014 12:19pm
Good read. I like the fact that he hinted toward being fit for next year.

Any year having Chad in the mix is a good year.

When he retires, we will lose a TRUE legend of the sport.
JW381
2/3/2014 12:26pm
Interesting read for sure, I love his insight.
newmann
2/3/2014 12:31pm
It still won't stop some from coming in here with the "how would he know", "you can't compare", "they were way slower back then", "RV's light years ahead" comments from the peanut gallery. Point is, Reed has this stuff figured out. He's been smooth and had good SX rhythm since he started. All the little gung ho young guns still have some things to figure out.
GoonSquad250x
Fantasy
3920th
2/3/2014 12:56pm
I always like Reeds interviews. He's always honest & has a lot of knowledge. He's been around for a while now & is still winning races, so I trust his insite on the racing back in the RC era & today during the RV era (2 & 4stroke). He can compare & comment on it 1st hand. And some of these young thundercats online wanna argue with what he says like they've raced RC & RV in their primes. LaughingLaughing

The Shop

Hut
2/3/2014 8:46pm
Always good to hear from Reed.
TDeath21
2/3/2014 9:06pm
Great interview as expected from Reed. I agree with everything he said about the comparison from then to now.
malachi177
2/3/2014 9:09pm
I love how he said the tracks are way faster now, but also a lot easier. Hello Feld....read the interview!!!!!!
2/3/2014 9:15pm
Not just referring to Chad's interview, but lately there has been a lot of mixed opinions on the size of the whoops. What is the ideal size?
Oh, and thanks for the post! I always enjoy reading stuff from Chad. He has definitely made a fan out of me these past few years!
Carlos Z
2/3/2014 9:17pm
newmann wrote:
It still won't stop some from coming in here with the "how would he know", "you can't compare", "they were way slower back then", "RV's light...
It still won't stop some from coming in here with the "how would he know", "you can't compare", "they were way slower back then", "RV's light years ahead" comments from the peanut gallery. Point is, Reed has this stuff figured out. He's been smooth and had good SX rhythm since he started. All the little gung ho young guns still have some things to figure out.
Teenager Roczen seems to be catching on pretty quick.
Hank_Thrill
2/3/2014 10:36pm Edited Date/Time 2/3/2014 10:36pm
I believe his statement. RC said in 2007 him and Stewart (you can assume Reed, too) were going as fast as possible around a race track. RC emphasized how important bike setup was that year. Physics do have limits, and hypothetically speaking, you could say physics + skill level/machine determine what the "perfect lap" is. Seven years ago, only a few riders fell into that category, now as Reed says, there are 7-8...

I like knowing that unless someone learns how to teleport through a triple instead of jumping over one, the racing should be tight in the years to come.
pecu_83
2/3/2014 11:14pm
It was in another Reed thread, that someone posted a video of Anaheim 2004 (that Reed won) and I was watching it like, Damn they are hauling ass!! Hard to say about the pace but they were fast as hell 10 years ago. But like he said the pool has grown a lot larger! I do think they are somewhat faster, but not leaps and bounds.
2/3/2014 11:22pm
malachi177 wrote:
I love how he said the tracks are way faster now, but also a lot easier. Hello Feld....read the interview!!!!!!
Why should Field change a thing? The racing is really good.

As I said in my thread about the tracks, they are easier now, not harder (as some thought) and its made the RACING better so why change it?

....unless you're into the sort of series where only 2 guys are competing for the title.

It would be great if RC still was out there.

I love Reed interviews. Too bad it took so long for fans to appreciate his honesty.
Old Mate
2/4/2014 12:09am
" they’re great at getting to the bottom of their turns"
this is something that is so important.
'
Crush
2/4/2014 1:58am
Old Mate wrote:
'
I actually didnt really get that bit... Is it just staying at the bottom of the berm and shortening the track?
MJC
2/4/2014 2:22am
Crush wrote:
I actually didnt really get that bit... Is it just staying at the bottom of the berm and shortening the track?
I kinda interpreted it Reed referring to RV/RC's awesome corner speed and ability to cut down from the berm and on the throttle earlier.... Dunno
Crush
2/4/2014 3:44am
Hmmm... Just never heard the term.

Old Mate?
Flip109
2/4/2014 5:09am
Theres a old vid of RC and CR riding at RC's sx track I think. It was in 09 when chad was on zooks. CR tells ricky something to the point of he feels like he can cut under him now and shorten the corners they way ricky used to. Maybe thats what he's referring to?
BS12
2/4/2014 6:32am
Still such an amazing video. Could watch it over and over.
TomZ
Fantasy
4294th
2/4/2014 8:55am
malachi177 wrote:
There seems to be a general interest in finding ways to technically slow the pace, tighten the racing and try to avoid the serious injuries that seem to be more common lately.

Some think that the Endurocross formula of tight racing but slower speeds works. I am not suggesting that SX now include log crossings and tire barriers.

Easier tracks and faster speeds don't always equate to better racing.

My interpretation of Reed's comments are that the pace of the racing is as frantic as it ever was but the actual spped on the track has increased. There is a difference.

Not so sure how much time the Feld guys spend reading Vital but you know they don't want star athletes injured so maybe they will listen to Reed as his credibility couldn't be much better.
Old Mate
2/4/2014 9:46am
Old Mate wrote:
'
Yeh, pulling more speed from the down ramp, as in timing the braking to use the down hill for max acceleration or even to pull an extra gear earlier, I coach for a living and Chad has been working on this since the Aussie super x days.
malachi177
2/4/2014 10:10am
Why should Field change a thing? The racing is really good. As I said in my thread about the tracks, they are easier now, not harder...

As I said in my thread about the tracks, they are easier now, not harder (as some thought) and its made the RACING better so why change it?

....unless you're into the sort of series where only 2 guys are competing for the title.

I love Reed interviews. Too bad it took so long for fans to appreciate his honesty.
Make the course a bit harder, which slows the speed down, which reduces the risk of injury. Everyone is going so damn fast now, even the mildest crash is going to end badly. Plus there's nothing to separate the riders. Reed said it (backhanded though) that a lot of the new riders can run the fast pace on an easier track, but wouldn't be able to necessarily handle a more tricky racetrack. I'm all for +1 min lap times!!!!!!
Crush
2/4/2014 11:37am
Old Mate wrote:
Yeh, pulling more speed from the down ramp, as in timing the braking to use the down hill for max acceleration or even to pull an...
Yeh, pulling more speed from the down ramp, as in timing the braking to use the down hill for max acceleration or even to pull an extra gear earlier, I coach for a living and Chad has been working on this since the Aussie super x days.
Hmm. I actually remember you making a post about that.

He's definitely gotten better at it, that little burst off the berm as you say.

I rewatched Anaheim 3 last night – Kenny and him were really close. One thing Kenny did a fair bit more and it would save a tiny bit of time here and there was just using his legs a little more over small stuff. Reedy was seat bouncing things sometimes more. The double before the 1st whoop section and the 2-3 before the finish you could see it cost time. He made it up through some other spots but I kinda thought if he removed that it might not have been close!
Old Mate
2/4/2014 11:59am
Old Mate wrote:
Yeh, pulling more speed from the down ramp, as in timing the braking to use the down hill for max acceleration or even to pull an...
Crush wrote:
Hmm. I actually remember you making a post about that. He's definitely gotten better at it, that little burst off the berm as you say. I...
Hmm. I actually remember you making a post about that.

He's definitely gotten better at it, that little burst off the berm as you say.

I rewatched Anaheim 3 last night – Kenny and him were really close. One thing Kenny did a fair bit more and it would save a tiny bit of time here and there was just using his legs a little more over small stuff. Reedy was seat bouncing things sometimes more. The double before the 1st whoop section and the 2-3 before the finish you could see it cost time. He made it up through some other spots but I kinda thought if he removed that it might not have been close!
Spot on, I think Kenny and Herlings have the best knees in the sport, new generation but Villo seems to have matched it from the older group.
Josh422
2/4/2014 12:58pm
malachi177 wrote:
I think they read it and smile. Feld is in the entertainment business and if you can have 7 or 8 guys that could potentially win, it makes for great entertainment.
2/4/2014 1:31pm Edited Date/Time 2/4/2014 1:32pm
Why should Field change a thing? The racing is really good. As I said in my thread about the tracks, they are easier now, not harder...

malachi177 wrote:
Make the course a bit harder, which slows the speed down, which reduces the risk of injury. Everyone is going so damn fast now, even the...
Make the course a bit harder, which slows the speed down, which reduces the risk of injury. Everyone is going so damn fast now, even the mildest crash is going to end badly. Plus there's nothing to separate the riders. Reed said it (backhanded though) that a lot of the new riders can run the fast pace on an easier track, but wouldn't be able to necessarily handle a more tricky racetrack. I'm all for +1 min lap times!!!!!!
So you want a Reed & Bubba show again?

A series where the tracks are so hard that only only those two can win races? They lap the field again like they used too?

Nope. I dont want that. Why would Feld either?

I like it right now. 7 guys that can win a heat/main. 3 more coming off of injured reserve.
malachi177
2/4/2014 2:04pm
So you want a Reed & Bubba show again? A series where the tracks are so hard that only only those two can win races? They...
So you want a Reed & Bubba show again?

A series where the tracks are so hard that only only those two can win races? They lap the field again like they used too?

Nope. I dont want that. Why would Feld either?

I like it right now. 7 guys that can win a heat/main. 3 more coming off of injured reserve.
No, I like having multiple riders in the mix. What I don't like is all the riders doing the exact same thing on the track. When it's more technical different options become available and it's more entertaining. Seeing a rider pull something out of thin air and land it, makes you jump up and yell "omfg"!!!!!! The riders other then Reed and Bubba would have to man up. Look what happened at the MEC. JS7 pulled that massive jump landing on the downside of the table. RV crashed his brains out on it. It separates the men from the boys. I like watching the best do what they do best. Navigate a gnarly SX to the best of "their" abilities...not the short comings/lack of options on the track. Riders are starting to attempt this now (quad two rounds ago, etc) but the speeds of these new tracks make it dangerous as hell.
THEGOAT
2/4/2014 2:31pm
Give me a FRIGGEN! break, You've never seen Bubba crash his Brains out on a SX track. You're using this article to somehow make it seem that Ryan Villopoto isn't capable of racing a Motocross bike as fast as Bubba can, even though RV has won 3 AMA SX championships in a row and 2 AMA MX championships in the last 3 years. When James beats RV for the title in SX or MX in the near future, come back and talk to us
malachi177
2/4/2014 6:59pm
THEGOAT wrote:
Give me a FRIGGEN! break, You've never seen Bubba crash his Brains out on a SX track. You're using this article to somehow make it seem...
Give me a FRIGGEN! break, You've never seen Bubba crash his Brains out on a SX track. You're using this article to somehow make it seem that Ryan Villopoto isn't capable of racing a Motocross bike as fast as Bubba can, even though RV has won 3 AMA SX championships in a row and 2 AMA MX championships in the last 3 years. When James beats RV for the title in SX or MX in the near future, come back and talk to us
Holy crap muffin, did you ever take that out of contextBlink Wow the RV jizz sucklers are very testy after this past weekendWhistling . I was in no way dissing your idol dude. I was talking about track building, and that was an example...nothing else.
mojoman42
2/4/2014 7:50pm
THEGOAT wrote:
Give me a FRIGGEN! break, You've never seen Bubba crash his Brains out on a SX track. You're using this article to somehow make it seem...
Defensive, much?

Post a reply to: "I don't feel like the pace is any different from when I raced Ricky"

The Latest