I Reckon I'm a Big Fan of the GP's

JW381
Edited Date/Time 4/14/2016 2:30pm
I don't want this to turn into a pissing match, but I'm sure it will. Just gonna give my opinion on the subject.

I think the MXGP's are really doing it right. The tracks (for the most part) are unique and challenging. They have riders representing the globe, as opposed to Menifee CA. I like what they do with team and rider branding a little more than here, but it's not that dissimilar. The TV coverage is actual race coverage, which would put the casual fan to sleep, but I enjoy it very much. The actual racing product is good, there's a lot of disparity.

Then I tune into SX on Saturday night. Uninspired tracks, every rider's hometown is listed as California or Florida, they have attempted to do a NASCAR style of branding within a team structre but is not as good as the GP team branding, the TV coverage is laughable although live HD is fantastic, and the racing is usually an absolute snooze fest. If CBS Sports aired their motos Saturday night, I'd rather watch that.

AMA motocross is still doing well, but somehow the racing still seems to suffer compared to the GP's.

Just an opinion from an American motocross fan.

|
h&m_cycle
4/7/2016 6:19pm Edited Date/Time 4/7/2016 6:21pm
I don't see anything that would make it into a pissing match... You left out Guns, Wheelie Boys, Politics, Religion &
two vs. four...

The GP's are a breath of fresh air...

I thought Supercross was just something to pass the time through the winter... Now it's the main event...
PastranaWho
4/7/2016 6:25pm
JW381 wrote:
I don't want this to turn into a pissing match, but I'm sure it will. Just gonna give my opinion on the subject. I think the...
I don't want this to turn into a pissing match, but I'm sure it will. Just gonna give my opinion on the subject.

I think the MXGP's are really doing it right. The tracks (for the most part) are unique and challenging. They have riders representing the globe, as opposed to Menifee CA. I like what they do with team and rider branding a little more than here, but it's not that dissimilar. The TV coverage is actual race coverage, which would put the casual fan to sleep, but I enjoy it very much. The actual racing product is good, there's a lot of disparity.

Then I tune into SX on Saturday night. Uninspired tracks, every rider's hometown is listed as California or Florida, they have attempted to do a NASCAR style of branding within a team structre but is not as good as the GP team branding, the TV coverage is laughable although live HD is fantastic, and the racing is usually an absolute snooze fest. If CBS Sports aired their motos Saturday night, I'd rather watch that.

AMA motocross is still doing well, but somehow the racing still seems to suffer compared to the GP's.

Hate to say it but i enjoy more the GPs than SX/MX. I think the racing in general is more enjoyable, closer racing and more intense IMO. With that said ARGENTINA is going to be nuts .
Jimmy_Sloan
4/7/2016 6:32pm
JW381 wrote:
I don't want this to turn into a pissing match, but I'm sure it will. Just gonna give my opinion on the subject. I think the...

Why are you comparing their outdoor motocross to our supercross?

The Shop

4/7/2016 6:50pm
I watch ama mx/sx and recently thanks to RV I tuned into MXGP.

Supercross for me I skip through the heats then watch the main, SX is probably my least favorite, the mains are too short for anyone with bad start to catch up, the 450s are just too much of a bike for SX.

AMA MX I enjoy a lot more.

Mxgp Is great, mainly because of its tracks it's completely different each round.
Ing
4/7/2016 7:01pm
When I first got into MX the GP's were the ultimate. Once in a while they would travel over here for a Trans-Am or Inter-Am and bless us with their incredible MX talents. Karsmakers, DeCoster, Mikkola. I was star struck and hooked from the beginning. I've always followed it through the years and particularly enjoyed the Everts years. Both of them. Still a good show and great racing. Got to admire the travel schedule they keep and grueling schedule. But, they do get to skip the show which is SX. While the "management" is another topic altogether the racing is supreme.
jemcee
4/7/2016 7:42pm
I reckon GP's are like the girl that's super attractive but doesn't get em out or particularly want you to stare

The Nationals are the hot chick that's wearing a short skirt and has got em out and doesn't care if you look

Both are great
(yes I'm comparing GPs to Nationals instead of SX)
JW381
4/7/2016 8:02pm
JW381 wrote:

Why are you comparing their outdoor motocross to our supercross?
Because those are the present viewing options. Still, I think AMA MX could even learn a little from the GP's, but that won't come til May. For now it's either SX or GP. And I reckon I like the GP's way more.
hvaughn88
4/7/2016 8:12pm Edited Date/Time 4/7/2016 8:22pm
Yeah, damn those dudes from menifee. Of course, except the ones that are from Florida, Texas, Kansas, Colorado, New York, Georgia, Missouri, Tennessee, South Carolina, Oklahoma, Iowa, Idaho, Minnesota, New Mexico, Arizona, Massachusetts, Washington, Oregon, Kentucky, Nebraska, Illinois, Utah, Germany, Australia and France.

Just giving you a hard time Jdub
JW381
4/7/2016 8:47pm
hvaughn88 wrote:
Yeah, damn those dudes from menifee. Of course, except the ones that are from Florida, Texas, Kansas, Colorado, New York, Georgia, Missouri, Tennessee, South Carolina, Oklahoma...
Yeah, damn those dudes from menifee. Of course, except the ones that are from Florida, Texas, Kansas, Colorado, New York, Georgia, Missouri, Tennessee, South Carolina, Oklahoma, Iowa, Idaho, Minnesota, New Mexico, Arizona, Massachusetts, Washington, Oregon, Kentucky, Nebraska, Illinois, Utah, Germany, Australia and France.

Just giving you a hard time Jdub
Haha I hope you're also not overlooking my little joke. No matter where the dudes are from, they always list their city of residence as their hometown. For example, Josh and Justin ain't from BroCal, bro Cool
ML512
Fantasy
45th
4/7/2016 8:49pm
For your information it's Murrieta, Ca... We mostly stay away from Menifee... Laughing
visser62
4/7/2016 9:25pm
I love all of the series. I personally like the way the AMA Nationals are done the best, other than a few of the tracks they have had in recent years.
JW381
4/7/2016 10:56pm
ML512 wrote:
For your information it's Murrieta, Ca... We mostly stay away from Menifee... Laughing
Hahaha thank you for the correction
Flip109
4/8/2016 1:53am
I like them both and I'm glad we have both. Supercross needs an overhaul though. To many little bullshit races and commercials for the first two hours. Oh well. More reason to burn up a 12 pack. Haha
kkawboy14
4/8/2016 2:04am
I haven't been able to watch any GPs on the tv this year, so I have no idea what this thread is talking about.

I have seen the little highlight videos on line, those seem cool!
mxmasta
Fantasy
724th
4/8/2016 2:36am
A couple years ago for me the two series in the US were the ones I wanted to watch the most - and I am a Euro. I mean I still watched all tree series (GPs, US MX and SX) but the excitement was all about the US series.
But that changed the last years, and now I really care more about the GPs. The US series, well, they get boring and predictable fast. For years I was getting up in the middle of the night to watch SX live, but since 2 or 3 years I just don't care that much about SX anymore. And the AMA National (just as the SX series) is a pain in the ass to find a way to watch it live or delayed if you are not in the US. And if you find a way to watch it (illegal or legal) you are lucky to see half of the laps of the races because of commercials and stuff.

The GPs, you have to pay to watch it, but then you can watch the whole race, live or delayed. And that alone makes it so much better to follow and watch everything. Well this year so far I even watched the races on Eurosport in HD on my TV for free. And the fact that in the GPs (well at least MXGP, not so much the MX2 class) the races are right now so close and unpredictable, on different kind of tracks each round is just so much more exciting for me than watching nearly the same kind of dirt every weekend on the US Nationals.

BUT, I am so happy that there are three major championships to follow. And I am for sure keep track of all three as good as possible.
burnside
4/8/2016 3:08am
I was really into the GPs following Tommy Searle through the 250s, but last 3 or so years my interest has waned. I find the TV production vapid, often awkward and amateurish. I haven't watched a race this year, maybe they have stepped up their game (is Malin still on his own?), but I much more enjoy the TV production of the Nationals and SX. Weege & Grant are the dream team!

Rowlands
4/8/2016 3:15am
burnside wrote:
I was really into the GPs following Tommy Searle through the 250s, but last 3 or so years my interest has waned. I find the TV...
I was really into the GPs following Tommy Searle through the 250s, but last 3 or so years my interest has waned. I find the TV production vapid, often awkward and amateurish. I haven't watched a race this year, maybe they have stepped up their game (is Malin still on his own?), but I much more enjoy the TV production of the Nationals and SX. Weege & Grant are the dream team!

Hear in the UK we have Jack Burnicle and Rob Andrews in the Box on Eurosport but personally I prefer Malin over on motors tv. Each to there own I suppose
Motofinne
4/8/2016 3:23am Edited Date/Time 4/8/2016 4:05am
Well there are upsides and downsides of all 3 series.

For me MotoGP has become the number one racing series to follow. All three classes there are just amazing to watch and the races are exciting every race weekend.

SX becomes a snooze fest after 10 rounds, that happens 9 times out of 10. I watch all the races "illegally" when i wake up on Sunday mornings. I skip to the mains. I still can't understand how they have a night of racing that doesn't mean anything but gate positions and then a short main. I would like to see only one heat race and then 2 or 3 finals. Or maybe no heat racing on TV at all?

The GPs is in my opinion at the moment the best package of offroad racing. The GP class is incredibly uncertain before every race. Especially since the tracks actually are different from week to week. The races are in HD and without any commercials. I like Malin, i wish he would always have a 2nd person with him though. And i really like the EMX series.

The nationals is great. There are however a few problems. The commercials. I know that they have to be there but it is horrible to watch motos when they get interrupted multiple times. Weege and Grant are awesome. The tracks/track prep is a problem in my opinion. The riders are seriously using one tire through SX and MX. It's ridiculous. The layouts are different yes but the prep is exactly the same and the tracks develop the same. And that is were the GPs shine. The different tracks and track prep is what keeps the series exiting even if a certain rider is running away with the championship since different riders are good at different track surfaces.

But we should all be happy that we have 3 high end MX/SX series to watch. But of these 3 SX has a lot of work to do. And the chase system will not solve it.
hillbilly
4/8/2016 3:40am
The GPs seem to be run by a dicktater.

The nats are run by a guy that cares ,takes and listens to criticism ,makes changes when needed, and cares about the riders.

I watch both but we all know which one is best even though so of you won't admit that I reckon.
RG1
4/8/2016 3:55am
hillbilly wrote:
The GPs seem to be run by a dicktater. The nats are run by a guy that cares ,takes and listens to criticism ,makes changes when...

The nats are run by a guy that cares ,takes and listens to criticism ,makes changes when needed, and cares about the riders.

I watch both but we all know which one is best even though so of you won't admit that I reckon.
I prefer to watch GP's but you are right in what you are saying. The only thing holding the GP's (and probably European MX in general) back is not having a guy like DC in charge. It's still good as it is, but it could be a lot better with some small, simple changes
Whitey
4/8/2016 4:01am
hillbilly wrote:
The GPs seem to be run by a dicktater. The nats are run by a guy that cares ,takes and listens to criticism ,makes changes when...

Yep, one has the guy running the show drinking vino sucking off politicians while the races are on while the other show guy is out there in the trenches bashing in stakes and getting his hands dirty. Smile

When it comes to the TV i prefer AMA by a mile, cant stand that Burnicle clown

With the tracks the GP's have some good tracks but spoil it with the size of the advertising, they really dont give a fuck about the paying spectator. I am not fussed if there is a couple of tracks that dont have hills everywhere, its different and not all the same.

My only gripe with the AMA tracks is the way they are prepped, they all seem to just turn into rutted lanes like a slot car race. I think they need to stop the backhoe everywhere. And there really needs to be a couple of true sand tracks in the series (Southwick isnt even close)

4/8/2016 4:03am
To be fair it varies from year to year imo. Sometimes the Nationals (particularly the 250s) have the edge and vice versa. I think the MX1 GPs are setting the bar right now at the moment though and have done for the last couple of yrs. There's just so many guys that can win and so many points of interest. MX2 not as much.

Supercross is boring right now. There's a few different guys that can win on any given night but only really one that's likely to (and even more so in regards to the points chase). That can only be helped so much but I think a change to the format is in order. Shorten the series to 14 rds, combine the 250 East and West coasts into one championship, and perhaps have 2 main events per class (20 laps).

TV is horrible for international guys trying to watch either AMA SX or MX. You always end up having to rely on an illegal stream at some point. With the GPs... it's pretty much perfect. If it's not on TV then you pay a few quid and never have to worry about it again.
4/8/2016 5:27am
For me the best race series depends on the racing itself. It's much more exciting/interesting feeling that any number of riders could win. At the moment the gp's edge it for that reason, dungeys dominance (all credit to him) has killed my interest in the series somewhat. Hopefully Tomac can get up to speed for the outdoors and make it more interesting.
jmx411
4/8/2016 5:33am
As far as which series looks the most professional? MX Sports blows that out of the water.

Different tracks and types of soil? GP's win that one.

Close racing? GP's last couple years have been great.
sende
Fantasy
4429th
4/8/2016 5:46am
Motofinne wrote:
Well there are upsides and downsides of all 3 series. For me MotoGP has become the number one racing series to follow. All three classes there...
Well there are upsides and downsides of all 3 series.

For me MotoGP has become the number one racing series to follow. All three classes there are just amazing to watch and the races are exciting every race weekend.

SX becomes a snooze fest after 10 rounds, that happens 9 times out of 10. I watch all the races "illegally" when i wake up on Sunday mornings. I skip to the mains. I still can't understand how they have a night of racing that doesn't mean anything but gate positions and then a short main. I would like to see only one heat race and then 2 or 3 finals. Or maybe no heat racing on TV at all?

The GPs is in my opinion at the moment the best package of offroad racing. The GP class is incredibly uncertain before every race. Especially since the tracks actually are different from week to week. The races are in HD and without any commercials. I like Malin, i wish he would always have a 2nd person with him though. And i really like the EMX series.

The nationals is great. There are however a few problems. The commercials. I know that they have to be there but it is horrible to watch motos when they get interrupted multiple times. Weege and Grant are awesome. The tracks/track prep is a problem in my opinion. The riders are seriously using one tire through SX and MX. It's ridiculous. The layouts are different yes but the prep is exactly the same and the tracks develop the same. And that is were the GPs shine. The different tracks and track prep is what keeps the series exiting even if a certain rider is running away with the championship since different riders are good at different track surfaces.

But we should all be happy that we have 3 high end MX/SX series to watch. But of these 3 SX has a lot of work to do. And the chase system will not solve it.
x2.
This is pretty much what I think of the matter too.
Except I don't follow MotoGP that much.

crusty_xx
Fantasy
154th
4/8/2016 6:04am
jemcee wrote:
I reckon GP's are like the girl that's super attractive but doesn't get em out or particularly want you to stare The Nationals are the hot...
I reckon GP's are like the girl that's super attractive but doesn't get em out or particularly want you to stare

The Nationals are the hot chick that's wearing a short skirt and has got em out and doesn't care if you look

Both are great
(yes I'm comparing GPs to Nationals instead of SX)
That's the best definition of the two series I've heard so far.
Seriously that really makes sense
hillbilly
4/8/2016 6:23am
Always 40 on the gate here, 30 max in GP and a lot of times not even 30,never figured out why .
Motofinne
4/8/2016 6:41am Edited Date/Time 4/8/2016 6:58am
hillbilly wrote:
Always 40 on the gate here, 30 max in GP and a lot of times not even 30,never figured out why .
That is incorrect. I guess you didn't watch the GP at Valkenswaard.
GrapeApe
Fantasy
760th
4/8/2016 7:40am
US Nats > GPs > SX

I love everything about US motocross, maybe with the one exception of track variation. I have really grown away from SX over the years. I get excited for A1 and the first couple of rounds, then I might set the DVR and watch a few tape delayed, but by now I am pretty over it and usually forget to set the DVR and don't really care. The whole presentation has become pretty ridiculous, the tracks are not interesting, and the 250 class is far more interesting than the 450's.

I have nothing against the GP's, they have a lot of good going on right now. If I lived abroad I would probably be a GP loyalist, though pissed at the leadership because it could be so much better.

Post a reply to: I Reckon I'm a Big Fan of the GP's

The Latest