Hurricane Hills MX

NJKawi913
Anyone on the east have some input on Hurricane Hills in PA. I am thinking of making the trip next weekend, but have heard mixed reiews on it.

It is about 2 hours from me. My local track is raceway park in NJ if you've been there how does in compare.
|
BobPA
10/4/2017 10:39am
I have been there countless times. Track was once one of my favorites, now not so much....But, it has been improving as of late. The track was once nice loamy dark dirt, it got to a point of becoming a rocky concrete highway. He recently rented or bought a sifter to try and bring the soil back to where it was.

The layout is fun, but IMO has too many silly obstacles. Instead of just having a straightaway there has to be some goofy roller or mogul section. The track is most definitely worth the drive, I just preferred some of the layouts in years past.
NJKawi913
10/4/2017 10:48am
BobPA wrote:
I have been there countless times. Track was once one of my favorites, now not so much....But, it has been improving as of late. The track...
I have been there countless times. Track was once one of my favorites, now not so much....But, it has been improving as of late. The track was once nice loamy dark dirt, it got to a point of becoming a rocky concrete highway. He recently rented or bought a sifter to try and bring the soil back to where it was.

The layout is fun, but IMO has too many silly obstacles. Instead of just having a straightaway there has to be some goofy roller or mogul section. The track is most definitely worth the drive, I just preferred some of the layouts in years past.
thankds for the input. I've heard very similar things about the dirt being filled with some boulder sized rocks. How well is the facility run? easy to park and sign up for open practice. Will they combine practice classes based on the number of riders that day?
90smoto
10/4/2017 11:07am
BobPA wrote:
I have been there countless times. Track was once one of my favorites, now not so much....But, it has been improving as of late. The track...

For some reason I always clicked with that track and did really well there. I'll agree though It became harpack over the years especially the top portion after the old elevator jump. Back in the day for the big Northeast Classic race they would truck in loads on pine chip/mulch type dirt and mixed it in. It was really rad once it worked in there was deep ruts in the corners. Either way I'd say make the trip it will be worth the ride, it's a fun track!
DTR830
Fantasy
1105th
10/4/2017 11:52am
You'll go broke on entry fees.

If it follows a race weekend, you'll pay.
$12 for adults to get in $6 for kids (on practice days)
Rider gets his $12 back but all other passengers forfeit their entry fee.

It's the closest track for me & I will no support them

The Shop

NJKawi913
10/4/2017 12:28pm
DTR830 wrote:
You'll go broke on entry fees. If it follows a race weekend, you'll pay. $12 for adults to get in $6 for kids (on practice days)...

thats cheaper than the NJ tracks. one of my local tracks is $40 for practice, another is $60.
RPM93
10/4/2017 1:13pm
That is dirt cheap (no pun intended)
10/4/2017 1:32pm
RPM93 wrote:
That is dirt cheap (no pun intended)
Those are entry fees for spectators on a practice day.
Dcross829
10/4/2017 1:48pm
The track is good cool natural elevation changes and off camber corners you don't get that at e town. it's rocky in spots but I hear they brought in dirt since I last been there couple months ago. It's not always as crowded as englishtown which is also nice.
08r1dilla
10/4/2017 4:31pm
DTR830 wrote:
You'll go broke on entry fees. If it follows a race weekend, you'll pay. $12 for adults to get in $6 for kids (on practice days)...

NJKawi913 wrote:
thats cheaper than the NJ tracks. one of my local tracks is $40 for practice, another is $60.
I haven't been in a few years but I thought hurricane was a fun track. You ever go up to Gotham mx? The old southwoods?
ruskymx
10/4/2017 5:24pm
I haven't been there since the late 90's, but it was a cool track back then, but reading some of the comments, it seems to have went downhill. My first race was at this track on my brother's 95 YZ125 in 95 or 96. I think Tom Veety of Action Photos actually wasted film taking a picture of me floundering around on the one table top. I don't remember it being big at all, but short and steep. I bought the print from him so I have it somewhere.
njracer46
10/4/2017 5:50pm
I wouldn't say it's gone downhill, fritz does a good job with it. Is it as good as when Tommy Hurd owned it, no. Back then they didn't allow quads on, bike only days the track still gets plenty good. It can get a little rocky in some spots but most tracks around here do. I've been there a few times this year, it was pretty good every time. They did buy/rent a sifter like someone said above, I haven't gone since they've had it.

It's defiantly worth checking out. Go ride some new tracks, you'll be glad you did. Personally I think fod and etown practice track are garbage. The race track is good but it's a track built in a flat field with 100 jumps on it. I like a little elevation.

Pagoda also has a practice/race this weekend, last race of the season and it's the biggest one of the year. Probably a little closer and in my opinion is the best track in d6/34
DTR830
Fantasy
1105th
10/4/2017 6:04pm
DTR830 wrote:

NJKawi913 wrote:
no practice fee is $35 +$12 for rider

If I take my kids its $12+$6+6. When I asked them why they told me they didn't want to hurt the rider with increasing the fee.

They don't even have flushable toilets to justify why a spectator must pay.
DTR830
Fantasy
1105th
10/4/2017 6:05pm
DTR830 wrote:

NJKawi913 wrote:
08r1dilla wrote:
I haven't been in a few years but I thought hurricane was a fun track. You ever go up to Gotham mx? The old southwoods?
I have was shocked to see sand. Jacksons pumpkin patch in Endicott,NY ?
ama530
10/4/2017 6:10pm
Sometimes it's good and sometimes it's bad. Been there when it has been awesome. Also been there when I wanted to pack up after the first lap. Do not even think about it after it rains. Total grease pit. Still a fun track but Tommy Hurd took much better care in prep and layout. Still, you get some elevation change.
motox11
10/4/2017 6:42pm
DTR830 wrote:
I was only able to get up to Jackson's once this summer and see Jim. But since I got my new 450 last week, I've been riding at Broome and the track has been sick lately.
BobPA
10/4/2017 7:24pm
motox11 wrote:
I was only able to get up to Jackson's once this summer and see Jim. But since I got my new 450 last week, I've been...
I was only able to get up to Jackson's once this summer and see Jim. But since I got my new 450 last week, I've been riding at Broome and the track has been sick lately.
I used to love Broome, thought about taking a drive up but the GoPro videos make it look like it has lost its soul. Every single fun jump is gone. Looks like a supermini track now.
08r1dilla
10/4/2017 8:20pm
Broome was so good back in the day excellent dirt.I gotta get back up there.
08r1dilla
10/4/2017 8:22pm
NJKawi913 wrote:
08r1dilla wrote:
DTR830 wrote:
Yea you wouldn't think sand. No never been its pretty good?
Mungusman
10/4/2017 9:42pm Edited Date/Time 10/4/2017 9:48pm
This place sucks, they charge everyone to get in, on practice days, not just the rider, and it's not like it was back in the day, when I was young. I was leaving one practice day, about a half hour before they shut the practice down, and the owners wife at the gate said I was very close to 5 o'clock, so I couldn't get my money back, like the guy said they'll even charge your dog. I told her it's only 4:30. She reluctantly gave me some of it back. Trust me she didn't want to. Very greedy!!!!! Like I said, it was way better when tom Hurd had it. Back in the day!! Also if your diving up from New Jersey, your not saving anything, by driving all that way, to Save a few bucks, cause there gonna charge everyone who comes with you, even the fly splattered on your windshield
DTR830
Fantasy
1105th
10/4/2017 10:12pm
Mungusman wrote:
This place sucks, they charge everyone to get in, on practice days, not just the rider, and it's not like it was back in the day...
This place sucks, they charge everyone to get in, on practice days, not just the rider, and it's not like it was back in the day, when I was young. I was leaving one practice day, about a half hour before they shut the practice down, and the owners wife at the gate said I was very close to 5 o'clock, so I couldn't get my money back, like the guy said they'll even charge your dog. I told her it's only 4:30. She reluctantly gave me some of it back. Trust me she didn't want to. Very greedy!!!!! Like I said, it was way better when tom Hurd had it. Back in the day!! Also if your diving up from New Jersey, your not saving anything, by driving all that way, to Save a few bucks, cause there gonna charge everyone who comes with you, even the fly splattered on your windshield
they have two water trucks but no dirt to water
NJKawi913
10/5/2017 5:45am
I've never been the gotham, but heard mixed reviews about it as well. Which i get, everyone likes different aspects of a track. I just like to hear the reasons as to why people make those judgements
08r1dilla
10/5/2017 6:27am
NJKawi913 wrote:
I've never been the gotham, but heard mixed reviews about it as well. Which i get, everyone likes different aspects of a track. I just like...
I've never been the gotham, but heard mixed reviews about it as well. Which i get, everyone likes different aspects of a track. I just like to hear the reasons as to why people make those judgements
I'd like to head up there before the season ends after I heal up from my latest injury at E town, witch i almost am. Honestly from go pro vids I saw track doesn't look that great at all imo. But if I had a partner I'd really like to drive out to miles mountain but its 5hr away. Fav track Is Field of dreams. It flows good, there are fast sections, Good dirt mix And I really like the way the lines form. But it's an hour and 45 minutes away. E town pro track is fun I feel it doesn't flow like FOD though. I've never jelled with that track besides right before my injury. And I have no memory of the crash so I can't tell you what happened.I know it's a long shot but if anybody was at E town june 8 Saturday,I went down after the start, before the huge step up any info on that crash would be great.
ktm212
10/5/2017 6:50am
Just go, if you've never been it'll be fun to ride a new place. Expand your horizons, if you like it cool, if not don't go back. 2 hours isn't far.
NJKawi913
10/5/2017 6:59am
08r1dilla wrote:
I'd like to head up there before the season ends after I heal up from my latest injury at E town, witch i almost am. Honestly...
I'd like to head up there before the season ends after I heal up from my latest injury at E town, witch i almost am. Honestly from go pro vids I saw track doesn't look that great at all imo. But if I had a partner I'd really like to drive out to miles mountain but its 5hr away. Fav track Is Field of dreams. It flows good, there are fast sections, Good dirt mix And I really like the way the lines form. But it's an hour and 45 minutes away. E town pro track is fun I feel it doesn't flow like FOD though. I've never jelled with that track besides right before my injury. And I have no memory of the crash so I can't tell you what happened.I know it's a long shot but if anybody was at E town june 8 Saturday,I went down after the start, before the huge step up any info on that crash would be great.
I wasnt there that day. But i must say there had been a lot more serious crashed at etown this past year than ones i remember in the past. Just about every weekend i was there someone got carted off in the ambulance.
DTR830
Fantasy
1105th
10/5/2017 7:01am
Miles is worth the haul.

Southwick is just under 4h for me & thats a good practice day.

Gotham. I feel it had a better layout before its current configuration. Its sand yes, but its got more rocks then I have ever seen on some up hills. The owner is there all day picking rocks from the track which is very un common for a track owner. Its a hit or miss place.

Post a reply to: Hurricane Hills MX

The Latest