Huge props to KTM.

RPM68
Edited Date/Time 11/19/2015 10:20am
A few weeks ago I had a catastrophic wheel failure that resulted in multipe broken spokes, bent rotor, and a few other parts casualties. The bike had exactly 4.5 hours on it, and I know how to maintain spokes and my bikes.

After bringing in the bike to the dealer I bought it from (www.houstonyamaha.com), the service manager immediately got on to it and opened up a Warranty Claim.

My wheel assembly was fixed and ready to ride in 4 business days. 4! That is unbelievable time. The amount of support they offer their customers is uncompareable to any other manufacturer I have ever worked with. I made a post about the damage done to the bike and wanted to give a HUGE THANK YOU to KTM, our rep Ty Howard, Houston Motorsports, and all the folks that made it possible.

It is very important to me that the public understands how much customer service brings back business. Not only is the 2016 KTM 450sxf the best bike I have ever ridden, but when a random failure happened, KTM supported me as a buyer and previous dealer representative. Again, Thank you KTM.
|
yak651
Fantasy
192nd
10/23/2015 9:43am
Amazing how many times you hear KTM standing behind their product vs other manufacturers. Switched to a Yamaha this year, but hope the other OEM's start to notice the way KTM stands behind their products. I realize these are "race" bikes and can't warranty everything but obvious issues should be stood behind
Uncle Tony
10/23/2015 9:44am
That's cool of KTM and very cool of the dealer, it's nice to know good dealers still exist
RPM68
10/23/2015 10:15am Edited Date/Time 10/23/2015 10:16am
Uncle Tony wrote:
That's cool of KTM and very cool of the dealer, it's nice to know good dealers still exist
I have always had a strong relationship with Houston Motorsports, as my family has bought well over 30 bikes over the past 25 years. Even before the store they're in now, its nice to be given continued support, and very much appreciated.
mx836
10/23/2015 10:47am
I tore the seat cover on my '16 KX450 and my local dealer ended up getting my bike replaced entirely, plus gave me a whole spare bike! That's two bikes for the price of one seat cover!!!!!! Laughing

The Shop

Ing
10/23/2015 10:47am
Good for you and KTM. I've always been impressed with the support that most of the euro manufacturers give after the sale. Buy a Jap bike and when you walk out the door their done with you. My experience.
mx836
10/23/2015 1:44pm
All the mfg's take care of the customer like this from what I've seen. Fortunately I've never had to be in this position, but know many who have and have been taken care of just the same.
Dtat720
10/23/2015 1:54pm
Ive had far worse things happen with my yamahas and not once have i been disappointed by the dealer or the warranty service. 99% of it is the dealership and how they view customers. Some are good, some are money hungry asses.
BobPA
10/23/2015 3:44pm
Kawasaki took care of me with a 125 years ago.

The only complaints I have seen are a few people with the me yz250f and its electrical demons....but most OEM's will help you out.
crusher773
10/23/2015 4:15pm
I don't agree with the other OEMs my brother had a Yamaha lock up on him with about 2 hours on it and they left him high and dry. KTM steps up even if you have a ton of hours on them and it is something that just shouldn't break. Happened to me a couple times. They are the best. Japanese could care less in my opinion.
bob567
10/23/2015 5:37pm
Its up to your local KTM dealer. Even with numerous melted Factory Edition number plate threads my dealer said it didn't have a warranty bulletin and would not replace it. After several months they finally said they would but I would have to give them my melted plate. After spending $100 on preprinted number plates I said fuck that. Not all KTM dealers are created equal. Anyone have a contact at KTM USA that cares?
BobPA
10/23/2015 5:39pm
bob567 wrote:
Its up to your local KTM dealer. Even with numerous melted Factory Edition number plate threads my dealer said it didn't have a warranty bulletin and...
Its up to your local KTM dealer. Even with numerous melted Factory Edition number plate threads my dealer said it didn't have a warranty bulletin and would not replace it. After several months they finally said they would but I would have to give them my melted plate. After spending $100 on preprinted number plates I said fuck that. Not all KTM dealers are created equal. Anyone have a contact at KTM USA that cares?
$100 pre prints? Do they have gold inlays or something?
bob567
10/23/2015 5:45pm
bob567 wrote:
Its up to your local KTM dealer. Even with numerous melted Factory Edition number plate threads my dealer said it didn't have a warranty bulletin and...
BobPA wrote:
No shit right? DeCal works 79.99 plus shipping.
nytsmaC
10/23/2015 6:01pm
Kawasaki, I had the personal displeasure of discovering how they do not stand behind their product. Cylinder plating flaking off on a brand new bike, kickstarter broke before 2 hours, their response: GFY.

Suzuki, multiple cases of fork tubes literally breaking in half, their response: GFY.

Yamaha, well known electrical demons and complete engine failures, their response: GFY.

Honda, _____________. Anyone care to fill in the blank?

KTM has integrity and, well, most of the Japanese brands if not all simply do not. They won't stand behind their defective products, so they'll never see a penny from me. With the age of the internet they can't get away with crap like this anymore.

Japan had better wake up, quick. They're doing just about everything wrong and KTM is now big enough to show everyone that it doesn't have to be that way.
BobPA
10/23/2015 6:17pm
bob567 wrote:
BobPA wrote:
bob567 wrote:
No shit right? DeCal works 79.99 plus shipping.
I went the Attack route and came in at under $60 shipped to my door
keith101
10/23/2015 10:45pm
nytsmaC wrote:
Kawasaki, I had the personal displeasure of discovering how they do not stand behind their product. Cylinder plating flaking off on a brand new bike, kickstarter...
Kawasaki, I had the personal displeasure of discovering how they do not stand behind their product. Cylinder plating flaking off on a brand new bike, kickstarter broke before 2 hours, their response: GFY.

Suzuki, multiple cases of fork tubes literally breaking in half, their response: GFY.

Yamaha, well known electrical demons and complete engine failures, their response: GFY.

KTM has integrity and, well, most of the Japanese brands if not all simply do not. They won't stand behind their defective products, so they'll never see a penny from me. With the age of the internet they can't get away with crap like this anymore.

Japan had better wake up, quick. They're doing just about everything wrong and KTM is now big enough to show everyone that it doesn't have to be that way.
STFU and GFY.

What a fucking idiot.
kiwifan
10/24/2015 12:20am

More of a concern is the actual failure itself rather than the actions of the dealer, so not good on KTM there, pretty serious failure in my mind.
pete24
10/24/2015 6:16am
we blew a rod rite threw the cases on a 06 crf450 and Honda and Cyles 128 gave me a whole new motor, bike had 25 hrs on it, and i thought i owned it,
4stroke4DWIN
10/24/2015 6:47am
nytsmaC wrote:
Kawasaki, I had the personal displeasure of discovering how they do not stand behind their product. Cylinder plating flaking off on a brand new bike, kickstarter...

keith101 wrote:
STFU and GFY.

What a fucking idiot.
You need a Snickers mate...........
slipdog
10/24/2015 6:55am
keith101 wrote:
STFU and GFY.

What a fucking idiot.
Funny, I've been noticing your posts since you made an ass of yourself arguing with ML512 about suspension and the same could be said for you. Glass houses , Bro...
Bultaco
10/24/2015 8:04am
BobPA wrote:
Kawasaki took care of me with a 125 years ago. The only complaints I have seen are a few people with the me yz250f and its...

The only complaints I have seen are a few people with the me yz250f and its electrical demons....but most OEM's will help you out.
BobPA wrote:

Bob, good for you to still be riding. I figure I'll be dead by your age. CoolCoolCoolCool
Cygnus
10/24/2015 8:41am
BobPA
10/24/2015 9:12am
Cygnus wrote:
To bad they won't do anything about my friends 250. This is most likely do to him running 60:1 that KTM recommends. He said its 32:1...
Looks like a non oiled air filter to me
RPM68
10/25/2015 6:41am
Cygnus wrote:
To bad they won't do anything about my friends 250. This is most likely do to him running 60:1 that KTM recommends. He said its 32:1...
BobPA wrote:
Looks like a non oiled air filter to me
Ya that is dirt ingestion. I've met some super fast dudes run 60:1 and have clean filters and a piston last 50 hours...

Shit happens, but that right there is full blown not checking your filter.
Ing
10/25/2015 6:53am
nytsmaC wrote:

keith101 wrote:
STFU and GFY.

What a fucking idiot.
It's his experience dude. STFU, unless you care to share YOUR experience. You post is worthless.
Cygnus
10/25/2015 8:40am Edited Date/Time 10/25/2015 8:43am
Rocky swears it wasn't. He's been a mechanic or a long time. If you read the FB post that's what I thought too. But it's the exhaust side. Not usually the way dirt shows its ugly head. It was metal shavings from a bearing failure.
tmauto769
Fantasy
1001st
10/25/2015 2:27pm
hmm I had a total different experience with an '11 ktm 350, fuel injector went bad around 13hrs, they told me to go pound sand basically. Fuel line got a hole in it and was spraying fuel on the header. That was the last nail in the coffin between me and ktm. On the flip side one of my riding buddies had the same bike with 0 problems.
tprice07
10/25/2015 4:13pm
RPM68 wrote:
A few weeks ago I had a catastrophic wheel failure that resulted in multipe broken spokes, bent rotor, and a few other parts casualties. The bike...
A few weeks ago I had a catastrophic wheel failure that resulted in multipe broken spokes, bent rotor, and a few other parts casualties. The bike had exactly 4.5 hours on it, and I know how to maintain spokes and my bikes.

After bringing in the bike to the dealer I bought it from (www.houstonyamaha.com), the service manager immediately got on to it and opened up a Warranty Claim.

My wheel assembly was fixed and ready to ride in 4 business days. 4! That is unbelievable time. The amount of support they offer their customers is uncompareable to any other manufacturer I have ever worked with. I made a post about the damage done to the bike and wanted to give a HUGE THANK YOU to KTM, our rep Ty Howard, Houston Motorsports, and all the folks that made it possible.

It is very important to me that the public understands how much customer service brings back business. Not only is the 2016 KTM 450sxf the best bike I have ever ridden, but when a random failure happened, KTM supported me as a buyer and previous dealer representative. Again, Thank you KTM.
I really appreciate when people post positive experiences with dealers. Too many times we hear only negatives, never the positives. The dealer I deal with on bikes (Stormlake Honda in Stormlake, Iowa) has always been good to work with.

I had a bad experience with a mechanic who JB welded a bearing into place in a case on my 03 CR 125 instead of just replacing the case. After about 5 minutes of riding, mid jump, the bike locked up. I took it back to the dealership and they told me the cases needed to be replaced. One of the mechanics told me it was JB welded into place. We carried my bike out in pieces. Now that was actually a dealer that did that. The mechanic has since left from there.

I took the bike up to Stormlake Honda and told them the situation. They still traded it for me and essentially just reduced the cost by the cost of parts. I would have got to them to begin with but they were almost an hour from my home.

To make the story even better. I called to buy one of the year old local pro's bikes, they told me they just put it up on eBay along with some other bikes since it was the end of the season. So I hopped on there to watch it (12 or 13 CRF450F) and ended up checking their other bikes. I ended up finding an immaculate 2007 450 that was just rebuilt. It was going for $1200 at the time. The 12/13 was going for like $4k +. So I put a bid in on the 07 and ended up getting it for right around $1500 all said and done.

When I picked it up the tag said $3600.

The local dealer that screwed me actually takes really good care of me and have more than made it up in the markdowns on parts.
nytsmaC
10/25/2015 8:13pm
keith101 wrote:
STFU and GFY.

What a fucking idiot.
Sorry that I hurt your feelings, Sheila.
zac967
11/16/2015 12:13pm
RPM68 wrote:
A few weeks ago I had a catastrophic wheel failure that resulted in multipe broken spokes, bent rotor, and a few other parts casualties. The bike...

Was your bike still under warranty period? (I believe 1 month?)
I just had this happen this last weekend, mine is no longer under warranty period but is a 2016 with low hours and like you I had tightened the spokes before this ride. I am hoping that KTM will take care of me the way they did with you? Any advice?

mx_phreek
Fantasy
210th
11/16/2015 12:27pm
RPM68 wrote:

zac967 wrote:
Was your bike still under warranty period? (I believe 1 month?) I just had this happen this last weekend, mine is no longer under warranty period...
Was your bike still under warranty period? (I believe 1 month?)
I just had this happen this last weekend, mine is no longer under warranty period but is a 2016 with low hours and like you I had tightened the spokes before this ride. I am hoping that KTM will take care of me the way they did with you? Any advice?

Same thing happened to a friend of mines new ktm but worse. He got pretty well bent up over it. Front wheel exploded, Hub broke, blew spokes out and bent axel when hub grenaded.

Post a reply to: Huge props to KTM.

The Latest