How will Bubba's World get around this ?

disbanded
Fantasy
1676th
11/1/2010 9:24am
toroP wrote:
"• Agrees that Feld Motor Sports, Inc. and there affiliates and designees"

oops. Feld fits right in here at VitalWink
Some lawyer out there could probably find a loophole because of that.
WORCSRacer
11/1/2010 9:26am
flarider wrote:
Feld is only retaining their rights. As media, like GuyB, I am sure he can videotape an interview at the event without any problem, so long...
Feld is only retaining their rights.

As media, like GuyB, I am sure he can videotape an interview at the event without any problem, so long as Feld is aware, which they will be since GuyB is media.

That said, Feld is saying that even though GuyB/VitalMX videotaped the interview, they still have rights to it (use).

Doesn't say GuyB/Vital is out of business and can no longer conduct video interviews.

Want to use race footage? No problem, ask permission and/or pay rights.

Media, like ESPN, get free use. A TV show, like Holigan's or Bubba's World would pay for the right

nothing unusual

No different than any other major sporting event and those who own it and invested in it should have every right to protect their holdings.
Just curious Dave, because I don't recall having seen a video from Guyb shot at a SX race, do you know that Steve can film interviews and and footage? How come the race footage isn't on ESPN?
SteveS
11/1/2010 9:30am
500guy wrote:
Agreement on the entry form. Talk about being kept down by the Man. By submitting this Entry Form, the participant (rider and team): • Agrees that...
Agreement on the entry form.

Talk about being kept down by the Man.

By submitting this Entry Form, the participant (rider and team):
• Agrees that he will not videotape, film or otherwise record his/her performance in the Event(s) or any other portion of the Event (s) (or any practices or qualifying activities or any other
activities associated or connected with such Event(s)), in whole or in part, nor will he authorize or license any third party to do so, except that the undersigned shall be permitted to take still
photographs of the Event(s) (and/or such practices or related activities), provided that his use of any resulting photographs will be solely for his own non-profit purpose;
• Agrees that Feld Motor Sports, Inc. and there affiliates and designees shall have the right, in perpetuity throughout the world, to use the name, likeness and/or biography of the
undersigned in connection with the Event(s) and all advertising and promotion of Feld Motor Sports, Inc. and/or any motor sports event or exhibition produced, presented or promoted by
Feld Motor Sports, Inc.;
• Grants to Feld Motor Sports, Inc. and their designees, in perpetuity and throughout the world, and without further compensation or consideration, the exclusive right to photograph, film,
videotape, or otherwise record and to use, reuse, license the right to use and reuse and to otherwise exploit in any manner whatsoever by means of print and any and all forms of electronic
media distribution now existing or hereafter created (including without limitation standard and non-standard television and home video distribution);
(i) The undersigned's name and performance in the Event(s) (and/or any personal interviews granted by him and his practice or qualifying activities in preparation for the Event(s);
(ii) The name(s), likeness (s), logo(s), design(s), artwork and other creative elements of the motorcycle(s) and/or vehicle(s) the undersigned is driving in the Event(s) and/or owns (and
allows another person to drive in the Event(s), including without limitation, in connection with the creation of a character or character appearing and performing at this Event(s) and/or
other motor sport events at which the undersigned's motorcycle(s) and/or vehicle(s) has appeared or will appear (or in any television programs relating to the Event(s) or such other
events).
• Warrants and represents that he is the owner of all rights granted hereunder or has been duly authorized by the owner of such rights to grant same.
But, but, we have the internets now, so everything has to be free. The government should make them give it to me without having to pay for it.
Spinner
11/1/2010 9:31am
WORCSRacer wrote:
Just curious Dave, because I don't recall having seen a video from Guyb shot at a SX race, do you know that Steve can film interviews...
Just curious Dave, because I don't recall having seen a video from Guyb shot at a SX race, do you know that Steve can film interviews and and footage? How come the race footage isn't on ESPN?
I've seen clips on Sportscenter a few times.
At the top of the screen, it usually says "Footage Courtesy of SpeedTV".

The Shop

flarider
11/1/2010 9:34am
WORCSRacer wrote:
Just curious Dave, because I don't recall having seen a video from Guyb shot at a SX race, do you know that Steve can film interviews...
Spinner wrote:
I've seen clips on Sportscenter a few times.
At the top of the screen, it usually says "Footage Courtesy of SpeedTV".

Correct
and GuyB has done many video interviews at races
MBBadgers
11/1/2010 9:35am
iudi2006 wrote:
Damn, Guess we won't get Shorty's videos anymore.
jmar wrote:
Shorty's videos will be fine, he is backed by an OEM. That's the entire point of rules like this. If a small team comes along, steals...
Shorty's videos will be fine, he is backed by an OEM.

That's the entire point of rules like this. If a small team comes along, steals some of the major teams thunder, and financially gains some ground against some of the larger teams, they can be shut down.

It's rules like this that really keep the sport from growing. The OEMs love money from outside of the industry, that is, as long as it's going into their pockets. The last thing they want is a level playing field, where others have the ability to do the same.

Nothing new here, it's been this way for as long as I can remember.

BTW: If Jame Stewart Entertainment wants to film at a supercross, they will.
I agree Feld will allow the footage of James racing, it only helps their marketing with SX and they will get a mini commercial out of it.
Holigan
11/1/2010 9:43am
in the beginning they would not allow us to tape The Reality of Speed onsite, which I never asked for or expected. Then I was called to a meeting at the US Open where I was ambushed by all the chiefs. They yelled at me, I yelled at them, and then we talked about everything. They told me some things about their business that I did not know, and I clued them in on what it was like trying to work with some of their departments. Once we talked it was all good. They allowed me to tape in the pits and use some of their footage from the races the following years for our TV series.

The core team that has run SX for various owners are good people. They are running a multi-million dollars business where they have to balance the interest of the stadium owners, stadium licensee rights holders, their own sponsors, teams and team sponsors, athletes television networks, vendors, the media, etc. I would not want their job, or DC's job. Too much hassle for the pay.
WORCSRacer
11/1/2010 9:45am Edited Date/Time 11/1/2010 10:03am
500guy wrote:
Agreement on the entry form. Talk about being kept down by the Man. By submitting this Entry Form, the participant (rider and team): • Agrees that...

• Agrees that he will not videotape, film or otherwise record his/her performance in the Event(s) or any other portion of the Event (s) (or any practices or qualifying activities or any other
activities associated or connected with such Event(s)), in whole or in part, nor will he authorize or license any third party to do so, except that the undersigned shall be permitted to take still
photographs of the Event(s) (and/or such practices or related activities), provided that his use of any resulting photographs will be solely for his own non-profit purpose;
• Agrees that Feld Motor Sports, Inc. and there affiliates and designees shall have the right, in perpetuity throughout the world, to use the name, likeness and/or biography of the
undersigned in connection with the Event(s) and all advertising and promotion of Feld Motor Sports, Inc. and/or any motor sports event or exhibition produced, presented or promoted by
Feld Motor Sports, Inc.;
• Grants to Feld Motor Sports, Inc. and their designees, in perpetuity and throughout the world, and without further compensation or consideration, the exclusive right to photograph, film,
videotape, or otherwise record and to use, reuse, license the right to use and reuse and to otherwise exploit in any manner whatsoever by means of print and any and all forms of electronic
media distribution now existing or hereafter created (including without limitation standard and non-standard television and home video distribution);
(i) The undersigned's name and performance in the Event(s) (and/or any personal interviews granted by him and his practice or qualifying activities in preparation for the Event(s);
(ii) The name(s), likeness (s), logo(s), design(s), artwork and other creative elements of the motorcycle(s) and/or vehicle(s) the undersigned is driving in the Event(s) and/or owns (and
allows another person to drive in the Event(s), including without limitation, in connection with the creation of a character or character appearing and performing at this Event(s) and/or
other motor sport events at which the undersigned's motorcycle(s) and/or vehicle(s) has appeared or will appear (or in any television programs relating to the Event(s) or such other
events).
• Warrants and represents that he is the owner of all rights granted hereunder or has been duly authorized by the owner of such rights to grant same.
The NFL owns the product and as part of their ownership and contract they insist that footage be provided to other networks. That's why you see on a lot of highlight clips "footage provided courtesy of NBC Sports" ect... The media is granted access to the sport and, I guess you don't watch much coverage, there are media types with cameras filming interviews everywhere AS LONG AS THEY HAVE PROPER CREDENTIALS. At issue is Feld apparently doesn't issue those type of credentials and they don't release live action event footage or want it shot by anyone.

No one is saying that Feld give away their "live" product. However, because the events are covered on tape delay (Feld buys the airtime on Speed and CBS) they have a disincentive to release footage to any network because it will cut into their audience the next day. The problem is that is what will keep the sport back. No other major sport holds its footage back with the express intent to prevent or delay coverage. That's why SX will continue to be a fringe sport just like MMA.
jmar
11/1/2010 10:28am
iudi2006 wrote:
jmar wrote:
Shorty's videos will be fine, he is backed by an OEM. That's the entire point of rules like this. If a small team comes along, steals...
Shorty's videos will be fine, he is backed by an OEM.

That's the entire point of rules like this. If a small team comes along, steals some of the major teams thunder, and financially gains some ground against some of the larger teams, they can be shut down.

It's rules like this that really keep the sport from growing. The OEMs love money from outside of the industry, that is, as long as it's going into their pockets. The last thing they want is a level playing field, where others have the ability to do the same.

Nothing new here, it's been this way for as long as I can remember.

BTW: If Jame Stewart Entertainment wants to film at a supercross, they will.
SteveS wrote:
Media rules like these have nothing to do with "keeping the little man down". It has to do with the promoter making all the entertainment money...
Media rules like these have nothing to do with "keeping the little man down". It has to do with the promoter making all the entertainment money in the venue. It's the same with NFL, MLB, etc. They do allow others to film and produce specials. But you have to pay for that right.
Go out, invest your own money, and try to manage your own team, and your opinion will change.

The paddock rules are set up to control who can, and who can't effectively promote their sponsors.
WORCSRacer
11/1/2010 10:34am Edited Date/Time 11/1/2010 10:36am
jmar wrote:
Go out, invest your own money, and try to manage your own team, and your opinion will change. The paddock rules are set up to control...
Go out, invest your own money, and try to manage your own team, and your opinion will change.

The paddock rules are set up to control who can, and who can't effectively promote their sponsors.
What he said.

SX runs the company store, housing and factory...
downandup
11/1/2010 10:39am Edited Date/Time 11/1/2010 10:39am
500guy wrote:
Who would have thought that a Rider with the most risk and least gain wouldn't be allowed to promote himself.
Am sooooooo with you on that, 500guy!

Feld just rapes these riders, financially that is.

Feld needs to pony up some of the money and at least pay every rider who not only qualifies for the main, but is able to make it into the stadium at all. Plus, they should give them some premium insurance.(especially needed for the REAL privateers!)
flarider
11/1/2010 10:41am
500guy wrote:
Who would have thought that a Rider with the most risk and least gain wouldn't be allowed to promote himself.
downandup wrote:
Am sooooooo with you on that, 500guy! Feld just rapes these riders, financially that is. Feld needs to pony up some of the money and at...
Am sooooooo with you on that, 500guy!

Feld just rapes these riders, financially that is.

Feld needs to pony up some of the money and at least pay every rider who not only qualifies for the main, but is able to make it into the stadium at all. Plus, they should give them some premium insurance.(especially needed for the REAL privateers!)
Can you name one business that gives insurance to people who are not employees?
Just curious
downandup
11/1/2010 10:43am Edited Date/Time 11/1/2010 10:43am
In reality, they are employees! Without the racers, they (Feld) would have no job or nothing to promote!
flarider
11/1/2010 10:46am
downandup wrote:
In reality, they are employees! Without the racers, they (Feld) would have no job or nothing to promote!
No, they're not employees, not by any standards.

They are independent contractors, they are employed only by their teams/sponsors or themselves, they are not employed by the promoters in any manner
FastEddy
Fantasy
944th
11/1/2010 10:48am Edited Date/Time 11/1/2010 10:59am
500guy wrote:

Feld Motor Sports, Inc.;
events).
Feld actually pays Speed Channel big bucks to broadcast Supercross.
It's not the other way around.

Remember a couple years back when they were thinking of doing away with Supercross on TV (the TV Package) all together and just having a free live video webcasts of the events and maybe some type of hi-lites on On-Demand,to save money?
downandup
11/1/2010 10:49am Edited Date/Time 11/1/2010 10:54am
"They are independent contractors, they are employed only by their teams/sponsors or themselves, they are not employed by the promoters in any manner"

OK, I see your view.

They are independent contractors.

But, I still say Feld takes them to the cleaners. They deserve a much bigger pay off than they are getting for the risk they take.
SteveS
11/1/2010 10:58am Edited Date/Time 11/1/2010 11:00am
jmar wrote:
Go out, invest your own money, and try to manage your own team, and your opinion will change. The paddock rules are set up to control...

WORCSRacer wrote:
What he said.

You can promote your sponsors. Just not by using their product for free.

I don't get your specific axe you are trying to grind.

Of course Feld owns and runs its own show. The rules about media don't have anything to do with factory vs privateer. They have to do with keeping their revenue stream intact by preventing people from stealing their product (the motion visuals of the race event) and thereby diluting their ability to sell that product.
DBerg
11/1/2010 10:58am
Ah, my bad, my source of info was incorrect then. Forget everything I just said, haha.
flarider
11/1/2010 11:04am
downandup wrote:
"They are independent contractors, they are employed only by their teams/sponsors or themselves, they are not employed by the promoters in any manner" OK, I see...
"They are independent contractors, they are employed only by their teams/sponsors or themselves, they are not employed by the promoters in any manner"

OK, I see your view.

But, I still say Feld takes them to the cleaners. They deserve a much bigger pay off than they are getting for the risk they take.
Since you're fairly new, I will assume you have never seen this question, and I would like you to answer it with your best estimation.
Please list out, in as best detail you can think of, al of the expenses involved in operating a Supercross event

From the cost of the dirt (or dirt storage fees), to Dirt Wurx, trucking costs (incl depreciation of trucks), fuel, earth mover rentals, airfares, hotels, food, per diems, portacans, security, stadium rental for one week (time to put up to take down), airtime cost to Speed/CBS, production crew costs (including travel, hotel, per diems), salaries, stage equipment costs, talent (announcers, both stadium and TV), pyrotechnics and operators and anything else missed

Please estimate those costs as best you can

Thanks
FastEddy
Fantasy
944th
11/1/2010 11:04am Edited Date/Time 11/1/2010 11:06am
DBerg wrote:
Ah, my bad, my source of info was incorrect then. Forget everything I just said, haha.
Yeah man,if you have an event and you wanna be on TV , you gotta pay.

See XGames is ESPN's creation that is why they put so much money & marketing strength behind it. ESPN are geniuses when it comes to marketing.
They are the ones who took a stupid hotdog eating contest and made it a huge sport.They also are responsible for making pro bass fishing as big as it is.
I would honestly love to see them take over the sport someday. Wink
downandup
11/1/2010 11:15am
flarider wrote:
Since you're fairly new, I will assume you have never seen this question, and I would like you to answer it with your best estimation. Please...
Since you're fairly new, I will assume you have never seen this question, and I would like you to answer it with your best estimation.
Please list out, in as best detail you can think of, al of the expenses involved in operating a Supercross event

From the cost of the dirt (or dirt storage fees), to Dirt Wurx, trucking costs (incl depreciation of trucks), fuel, earth mover rentals, airfares, hotels, food, per diems, portacans, security, stadium rental for one week (time to put up to take down), airtime cost to Speed/CBS, production crew costs (including travel, hotel, per diems), salaries, stage equipment costs, talent (announcers, both stadium and TV), pyrotechnics and operators and anything else missed

Thanks
Sorry, I can't even begin to answer a question like that!

The only thing I do know, is that they claim to have attracted over 5 million fans in one year to Feld Motorsports, so I think they could dish out a bit more.
jmar
11/1/2010 11:16am
jmar wrote:

WORCSRacer wrote:
What he said.

SteveS wrote:
You can promote your sponsors. Just not by using their product for free. I don't get your specific axe you are trying to grind. Of course...
You can promote your sponsors. Just not by using their product for free.

I don't get your specific axe you are trying to grind.

Of course Feld owns and runs its own show. The rules about media don't have anything to do with factory vs privateer. They have to do with keeping their revenue stream intact by preventing people from stealing their product (the motion visuals of the race event) and thereby diluting their ability to sell that product.
It's not just the right to video. It's the entire paddock rules in general.

flarider
11/1/2010 11:17am
flarider wrote:
Since you're fairly new, I will assume you have never seen this question, and I would like you to answer it with your best estimation. Please...

Thanks
downandup wrote:
Sorry, I can't even begin to answer a question like that! The only thing I do know, is that they claim to have attracted over 5...
Sorry, I can't even begin to answer a question like that!

The only thing I do know, is that they claim to have attracted over 5 million fans in one year to Feld Motorsports, so I think they could dish out a bit more.
OK, then how about this...

How much is a company allowed to make?
How much, considering the vast investment made to purchase and operate the series/events, are they allowed to make, considering they are a multi-million dollar corporation?
How much is too much?
FastEddy
Fantasy
944th
11/1/2010 11:18am Edited Date/Time 11/1/2010 11:19am
downandup wrote:
"They are independent contractors, they are employed only by their teams/sponsors or themselves, they are not employed by the promoters in any manner" OK, I see...

OK, I see your view.

flarider wrote:

Thanks
Also, remember when there was gonna be no more audio webcast because they couldn't afford it(or maybe fit in their budget),but then a sponsor jumped in and helped and then it also went pay.

I wonder how tight things really are with them?
And if they really aren't making/profiting alot of money,maybe just trying to build the brand up as an asset for resale purposes possibly.
downandup
11/1/2010 11:21am
They can MAKE however much they want, but it would be nice to stop raping the riders.

One day, the riders are going to form a union like the surfers did, and then Feld is going to have to have a bigger purse. Surfers make more money for winning than mxers do, and people don't even have to pay to watch the competition.

The mxers are not a circus act like the rest of Feld entertainment!
flarider
11/1/2010 11:22am
FastEddy wrote:
Also, remember when there was gonna be no more audio webcast because they couldn't afford it(or maybe fit in their budget),but then a sponsor jumped in...
Also, remember when there was gonna be no more audio webcast because they couldn't afford it(or maybe fit in their budget),but then a sponsor jumped in and helped and then it also went pay.

I wonder how tight things really are with them?
And if they really aren't making/profiting alot of money,maybe just trying to build the brand up as an asset for resale purposes possibly.
I have said for years that I do not think they're making as much money as people think.

Not saying they're losing money or making no money, but I do not think they're making as much as people think and for a company of their size and annual income, SX is probably the lowest earner and biggest PITA

FastEddy
Fantasy
944th
11/1/2010 11:23am
downandup wrote:
They can MAKE however much they want, but it would be nice to stop raping the riders. One day, the riders are going to form a...
They can MAKE however much they want, but it would be nice to stop raping the riders.

One day, the riders are going to form a union like the surfers did, and then Feld is going to have to have a bigger purse. Surfers make more money for winning than mxers do, and people don't even have to pay to watch the competition.

Yes, and you know who is gonna pay?
The fans are...with higher ticket prices etc...
Possibly even the sponsors.
flarider
11/1/2010 11:23am
downandup wrote:
They can MAKE however much they want, but it would be nice to stop raping the riders. One day, the riders are going to form a...

How can you say they are "raping the riders" when you yourself admit to not having any idea what it costs, and you can't even estimate, to run a SX event/series?

takitimu
11/1/2010 11:24am
The problem is more subtle I think, in an ideal world feld would say they "they reserve the right" to control coverage, in other words if they don't like what you are doing they stop you, but my understanding of USA law is that is not an option, it's all or nothing ( you allow open rights or no rights and you need to actively enforce the no rights, it's that way for copyright anyways ).
I mean why would Feld ever want to restrict rider interviews for instance, or Joe Blogs taking a few photos/videos and posting them, I mean unlike the music companies I've not heard of them suing fans Smile .
downandup
11/1/2010 11:30am
Because you, yourself, have admitted that Feld is a multi-million dollar corp.

They have the power to get alot of things done for alot less money. (see Costco)

They can do things alot more cheaply than we can. I mean, they are running circus acts, and ice capades, and other such huge events, I assume (maybe I am way off base) that they are running sx with tight purse strings.

Maybe I'll look into their finances more online and get back to you..........

Post a reply to: How will Bubba's World get around this ?

The Latest