How to properly protect graphics on your bike?

Argaudas
Fantasy
4055th
5/11/2016 6:56am Edited Date/Time 5/13/2016 12:14pm
Hello, i bought a set of new plastics and graphics for my bike and the question is,how do i protect it properly? And maybe there are some transparent thick stickers that i could stick on the places that i touch a lot?like side number plates,gas tank and frond fender (when i crash). I'd like to keep my graphics looking neat as long as possible.
|
Camp332
5/11/2016 7:02am
Be proud of worn graphics on the shrouds/tank/side panels. Means your squeezing and probably doing it right.
Argaudas
Fantasy
4055th
5/11/2016 7:21am
Camp332 wrote:
Be proud of worn graphics on the shrouds/tank/side panels. Means your squeezing and probably doing it right.
Yeh,the gas tank and the middle part of the bike (dont know hows it called) and some of the side number plates are really worn off after like 5-6 practices. Bought these graphics like a month ago and they look like they have been used for a whole season http://imgur.com/a/JQZ7o and god those aren't cheap graphics,they were quite thick and solid.
MotoGuido
5/11/2016 7:32am
The graphics are designed to protect the plastic. The vinyl reflects roost and doesn't pit out and turn porous at a rate anywhere near what the plastic will. That being said they aren't cheap. I always go through a rather long process with my heat gun making sure they are really STUCK down everywhere and stretched or shrunk where they need to be so they have the best chance at survival.. If you just peel and stick sometimes it's not really enough (even though people will tell you it is).

As far as protection, I like to use the clear SOFT grip not the skateboard sand paper griptape, which will eat up your gear in a heartbeat! Also expensive. The rubberized stuff works much better but you will need to replace it after a few weeks. Not a problem just break out your heat gun again. I think the last stuff I got was from factory effex.

Here's a pic for reference. Good luck.

Old-Man
5/11/2016 7:54am
Stay out front

The Shop

5/11/2016 8:00am
MotoGuido wrote:
The graphics are designed to protect the plastic. The vinyl reflects roost and doesn't pit out and turn porous at a rate anywhere near what the...
The graphics are designed to protect the plastic. The vinyl reflects roost and doesn't pit out and turn porous at a rate anywhere near what the plastic will. That being said they aren't cheap. I always go through a rather long process with my heat gun making sure they are really STUCK down everywhere and stretched or shrunk where they need to be so they have the best chance at survival.. If you just peel and stick sometimes it's not really enough (even though people will tell you it is).

As far as protection, I like to use the clear SOFT grip not the skateboard sand paper griptape, which will eat up your gear in a heartbeat! Also expensive. The rubberized stuff works much better but you will need to replace it after a few weeks. Not a problem just break out your heat gun again. I think the last stuff I got was from factory effex.

Here's a pic for reference. Good luck.

Ditto, bto has sheets of the clear grip tape that works really well and is really cheap.
MotoGuido
5/11/2016 8:10am
This got me thinking and I ran across the stuff for sport bikes. Might work well for motocross since it's made to work with expensive leathers/ jackets etc. might be a really good option but I don't know about the durability/cost.

The Rock
5/11/2016 9:57am
That's easy. Buy the highest quality graphics on the market: DeCal Works and you don't have to worry about premature wear.

You get what you pay for.
JWACK
5/11/2016 10:24am Edited Date/Time 5/11/2016 10:25am
I buy clear graphics material and put it on over the graphics, it can be replaced whenever you want. You can find it cheep on eBay.
disbanded
Fantasy
1842nd
5/11/2016 11:54am
You need to slow way down
ricko
5/11/2016 11:57am
The Rock wrote:
That's easy. Buy the highest quality graphics on the market: DeCal Works and you don't have to worry about premature wear. You get what you pay...
That's easy. Buy the highest quality graphics on the market: DeCal Works and you don't have to worry about premature wear.

I beg to differ, my 180 decals are way better quality than decal works, my knee braces shredded my decal works graphics in 2 rides. Regardless if you ride your bike the graphics arent going to stay nice.
motogeezer
5/11/2016 12:05pm
It ain't no fashion show.

If you want your bike to always look nice, hang it on your living room wall.
5/11/2016 12:40pm
The Rock wrote:
That's easy. Buy the highest quality graphics on the market: DeCal Works and you don't have to worry about premature wear. You get what you pay...

ricko wrote:
I beg to differ, my 180 decals are way better quality than decal works, my knee braces shredded my decal works graphics in 2 rides. Regardless...
I beg to differ, my 180 decals are way better quality than decal works, my knee braces shredded my decal works graphics in 2 rides. Regardless if you ride your bike the graphics arent going to stay nice.
Hands down without question the stuff that is going to last the longest will be sub-surface printed...NOT laminated.

Now 99% of custom graphics companies out there laminate because, well, I have no idea why but that's just the way they choose to do it.

If you have the desire to do the research, and you want custom graphics, find a company that A) sub-surface prints, and Cool uses printers with ribbon cartridges rather than inkjet. IMPO the thermal ribbon makes a significantly crisper design, especially if the company is using spot colors. Inkjet printers mostly use a CMYK process in order to make a blend that looks like the color you want, similar to the newspaper.
Additionally, thermal ribbon printing will allow you to use effects such as pearl, sparkle, chrome, etc. Jet printers afaik will not.

But regarding durability, I say again, find a place that does sub-surface printing. If you don't know what I mean, they basically take a thick (16ish mil) piece of vinyl, print directly onto the backside of it, and then apply an adhesive. Laminating involves printing normally onto a very Thin piece of white vinyl, and then they take the thick clear vinyl and heat press it all together. The problem here is that they can come apart, especially if you are a heavy gripping rider.
5/11/2016 1:08pm
motogeezer wrote:
It ain't no fashion show.

If you want your bike to always look nice, hang it on your living room wall.
Sorry to break it to you but this is the only solution
micmac92
5/11/2016 2:55pm
The Rock wrote:

ricko wrote:
I beg to differ, my 180 decals are way better quality than decal works, my knee braces shredded my decal works graphics in 2 rides. Regardless...
Hands down without question the stuff that is going to last the longest will be sub-surface printed...NOT laminated. Now 99% of custom graphics companies out there...
Hands down without question the stuff that is going to last the longest will be sub-surface printed...NOT laminated.

Now 99% of custom graphics companies out there laminate because, well, I have no idea why but that's just the way they choose to do it.

If you have the desire to do the research, and you want custom graphics, find a company that A) sub-surface prints, and Cool uses printers with ribbon cartridges rather than inkjet. IMPO the thermal ribbon makes a significantly crisper design, especially if the company is using spot colors. Inkjet printers mostly use a CMYK process in order to make a blend that looks like the color you want, similar to the newspaper.
Additionally, thermal ribbon printing will allow you to use effects such as pearl, sparkle, chrome, etc. Jet printers afaik will not.

But regarding durability, I say again, find a place that does sub-surface printing. If you don't know what I mean, they basically take a thick (16ish mil) piece of vinyl, print directly onto the backside of it, and then apply an adhesive. Laminating involves printing normally onto a very Thin piece of white vinyl, and then they take the thick clear vinyl and heat press it all together. The problem here is that they can come apart, especially if you are a heavy gripping rider.
owning a graphics business in australia this is one of the common questions asked. and i wont say which one as then that turns into, no run this guys stuff its better vs everyone else chiming in with there mates friends cousins sticker business.

now i do it the old school way which as TFP describes is sub-surfaced printed and backed with high strength adhesive. i agree with alot of points made on here but it also comes down to how some of the bikes are designed these days. most modern 4 strokes your legs/boots are in constant contact with the side panel area and is constantly rubbing, through in the mega heat coming from the mid pipe section and well its not long before stuff starts to go pear shaped. i have seen rider actually wear through the plastics so no mater what, any graphics over time aren't really going to stand a chance.

if you check out pics of most of the pros bikes now days you will see, mechanics just trim that section straight off the bottom area of the side plate to avoid this problem even starting and they get to use fresh everything every single weekend aswell.

is sub surfaced printing night and day over laminating process, not really its just a different process that takes longer and is harder to perfect. business using laminate are just popping up all over as it is easy to purchase now and away you go. although you can get some really cheap laminate product so i would say theres a big difference to those guys and the rest of us and i would steer clear of those guys and stick to your main players as they are the ones spending the money on the good quality stuff.

probably the 3 main things to help out and avoid this if you are running on a budget and cant afford new kit every other weekend is, remove plastics - shrouds and side plates as they are the common areas and really its only 6-8 bolts and run old/stock ones to practice in during the week so you can keep the bike fresh for race weekends.
apply extra layer of clear over problem areas, wrapping it over the edges to avoid being picked up at the corners edges of the actual graphics and last, once you wear the clear layer, peel and re apply another layer and this should get you through most of the year.
prep. get them plastics as clean as possible, clean your hands before applying and dont ride with them straight away, give the plastic and glue time to bond, at least 24-48 hrs.

sorry for the rant and i hope that helps anyone reading.

JWACK
5/11/2016 3:06pm
I even over wrap the clear around the edges of the numberplates and shrouds a little where my boots or knees catch the graphics lip to keep them from being torn up in one ride... Yes the clear gets marked up but it's no problem because you can just replace it and you have new graphics again for like 10 bucks. I also line the swing arm and the forks to keep them fresh longer
RandyS
5/11/2016 3:54pm
I drain the tank before I start, then I wash everything with soap and water. After they're done I let them sit for a few days. After that I only put gas in when I ride which is almost never. I usually get a year out of a set because I get sick of looking at them.
RockyRider
Fantasy
3347th
5/11/2016 7:42pm
Cant believe this hasn't been said yet but are you wearing quality pants? Chances are you have holes in the inside of the knees and its rubbing straight to the graphics...Can't fault the graphics for that
mtl
5/11/2016 9:22pm
Proud member of team no graphics here.
5/12/2016 5:13pm
micmac92 wrote:
owning a graphics business in australia this is one of the common questions asked. and i wont say which one as then that turns into, no...
owning a graphics business in australia this is one of the common questions asked. and i wont say which one as then that turns into, no run this guys stuff its better vs everyone else chiming in with there mates friends cousins sticker business.

now i do it the old school way which as TFP describes is sub-surfaced printed and backed with high strength adhesive. i agree with alot of points made on here but it also comes down to how some of the bikes are designed these days. most modern 4 strokes your legs/boots are in constant contact with the side panel area and is constantly rubbing, through in the mega heat coming from the mid pipe section and well its not long before stuff starts to go pear shaped. i have seen rider actually wear through the plastics so no mater what, any graphics over time aren't really going to stand a chance.

if you check out pics of most of the pros bikes now days you will see, mechanics just trim that section straight off the bottom area of the side plate to avoid this problem even starting and they get to use fresh everything every single weekend aswell.

is sub surfaced printing night and day over laminating process, not really its just a different process that takes longer and is harder to perfect. business using laminate are just popping up all over as it is easy to purchase now and away you go. although you can get some really cheap laminate product so i would say theres a big difference to those guys and the rest of us and i would steer clear of those guys and stick to your main players as they are the ones spending the money on the good quality stuff.

probably the 3 main things to help out and avoid this if you are running on a budget and cant afford new kit every other weekend is, remove plastics - shrouds and side plates as they are the common areas and really its only 6-8 bolts and run old/stock ones to practice in during the week so you can keep the bike fresh for race weekends.
apply extra layer of clear over problem areas, wrapping it over the edges to avoid being picked up at the corners edges of the actual graphics and last, once you wear the clear layer, peel and re apply another layer and this should get you through most of the year.
prep. get them plastics as clean as possible, clean your hands before applying and dont ride with them straight away, give the plastic and glue time to bond, at least 24-48 hrs.

sorry for the rant and i hope that helps anyone reading.

Good post...

My biggest pet peeve about graphics companies is, when someone comes on here and asks about one specific company, everyone replies with the recomendation of a DIFFERENT company.

So many shit design companies out there, so few good.
midwestmoto
5/12/2016 5:59pm
Good post... My biggest pet peeve about graphics companies is, when someone comes on here and asks about one specific company, everyone replies with the recomendation...
Good post...

My biggest pet peeve about graphics companies is, when someone comes on here and asks about one specific company, everyone replies with the recomendation of a DIFFERENT company.

So many shit design companies out there, so few good.
I agree. My most recent graphics I got from FAMmx Design and i've had them on my bike for over a year and they've been holding up great for how much I ride. I've previously ordered graphics from Decal Works and wasn't too impressed with their durability. Before Decal Works when I was on 80s, I ordered from Rusk Racing and those held up great too.

I do agree with micmac and think a lot has to do with the way the bikes are built these days and it's going to be tough to keep any graphics looking brand new with how much your boots/knees are rubbing against the plastic.

Also, I saw someone above post that they print on 16mil vinyl. That is not true. From doing research, I don't think they even make vinyl that is that thick because no matter how thick the vinyl is, if you rub through the laminate, the print is going to see wear and tear. In my design proof from FAMmx Design, the materials listed was 6mil vinyl and 15 mil laminate.

I don't have any experience with the clear protective grip tape but that is very interesting and I'm going to be doing some research on how that works. I'll be interested to learn if they make these in cutouts that fit specific bike brands and models or if you have to cut them out on your own.
Ehm24
5/12/2016 6:07pm
Easy, just buy two sets of graphics, layer on top of each other and when the top set starts to wear you'll have a fresh set beneath it!
5/12/2016 8:00pm
Quality graphics will last longer because they are made better. My Throttle Jockey kit was extremely high quality compared to my bike graphix kit, it also cost triple as much.

Sc1 is a spray wax that keeps things slippery and looking good. Invest in a bottle.
kzizok
Fantasy
1859th
5/12/2016 8:17pm
Use the 100% product. It worked back in the day.
PFitzG38
5/13/2016 12:02pm
Argaudas wrote:
Hello, i bought a set of new plastics and graphics for my bike and the question is,how do i protect it properly? And maybe there are...
Hello, i bought a set of new plastics and graphics for my bike and the question is,how do i protect it properly? And maybe there are some transparent thick stickers that i could stick on the places that i touch a lot?like side number plates,gas tank and frond fender (when i crash). I'd like to keep my graphics looking neat as long as possible.
Sounds like the graphics are doing their job, protecting the plastic. Now you want something to protect the protection? Do you wear two condoms? MX is about more than looking good (I know - hard to believe)
PFitzG38
5/13/2016 12:07pm
The Rock wrote:

^^^ This.
PFitzG38
5/13/2016 12:14pm
Use DeCal Works
Start with new plastic
Make sure all areas are stuck down
Push back down all areas that pop up for the next few hours
Bake in the sun for 12 hours before riding (inside a hot car works excellent)

If you forget any of the above all bets are off on longevity.

I'm sure you could use some other high quality graphic company, but why bother - support those that support the sport.

After mastering the graphic application technique, I usually just have DeCal Works mount mine.

Post a reply to: How to properly protect graphics on your bike?

The Latest