How to generate a never issued Title? I'm sure some of you here have had this problem....

teggers
Edited Date/Time 4/10/2014 9:49pm
I have a few bikes over the years that I have won, or bought from riders who have been sponsored and got free bikes.

None of them have titles. I have asked the dealer that awarded me the bike to produce a title, but they have no record of it/ also they sold the business a few years back. They really have tried, even contacting Honda (one of the bikes is a 06 CRF450) and Honda has no record.

The other bike is a 08 Kwacker 450. I think I also need to get a title for my 05 CRF that is in parts and up to be bought next week.

I have been to DMV and they have no record of the bike(s) ever being titled.

Any ideeers?
|
AZ35
Fantasy
550th
4/9/2014 9:48pm
Not sure for every state, but you may need to go to your MVD (motor vehicle dept) with the manufacturer's certificate of origin.

And then pay state sales tax. That is what dealers have to do (in AZ at least), the state will not issue a title unless you can show where the bike came from (many late model dealer or factory team bikes fall into this category since they were never titled by a dealer).
teggers
4/9/2014 10:29pm Edited Date/Time 4/9/2014 10:30pm
Cannot get this from Honda. They say they do not have this...... manufacturer's certificate of origin.... I remember this now..... the dealer tried. This was the plan, but it was a dead end.

Does anyone have a fastrack to this connection? I'm sure it is easy if I can talk to the right person.
4/9/2014 10:52pm
You could always try calling honda yourself and seeing if you can bother the correct people to get what you want. The north america HQ is in torrance 310-783-2000
teggers
4/10/2014 12:38am Edited Date/Time 4/10/2014 12:42am
You could always try calling honda yourself and seeing if you can bother the correct people to get what you want. The north america HQ is...
You could always try calling honda yourself and seeing if you can bother the correct people to get what you want. The north america HQ is in torrance 310-783-2000
Thanks for this. I will follow this direction tomorrow. I think my (well connected) ex dealer went this route, but I will give it a try. Thanks so much.

I am hoping for some legal options for non existent titles. I ran into a car friend of mine tonight and he flipped his hand and said "I can have a title for you made." $400 How does that happen? It has to be on the books?......right?

The Shop

jevyguy
4/10/2014 6:03am
Why don't you just call your DMV or MVD and ask them. Here in Utah all you have to do is fill out some silly paperwork and then have a police officer verify the VIN so they can look in the system to see if it's been stolen or whatever else they do. They then issue a new title. $6 for the title plus what you pay is sales tax and registration fees. Don't go through the dealer... It's doubtful they can do much at all for you.
wwoberg
4/10/2014 6:07am
Not that it is any of my business, but why would need one?

I guess selling it to some non-moto person. Never mind. Answered my own question.
MotoX85
4/10/2014 6:10am
teggers wrote:
I have a few bikes over the years that I have won, or bought from riders who have been sponsored and got free bikes. None of...
I have a few bikes over the years that I have won, or bought from riders who have been sponsored and got free bikes.

None of them have titles. I have asked the dealer that awarded me the bike to produce a title, but they have no record of it/ also they sold the business a few years back. They really have tried, even contacting Honda (one of the bikes is a 06 CRF450) and Honda has no record.

The other bike is a 08 Kwacker 450. I think I also need to get a title for my 05 CRF that is in parts and up to be bought next week.

I have been to DMV and they have no record of the bike(s) ever being titled.

Any ideeers?
Go to the DMV and file for a new title. They will check the VIN and as long as it is clear, then they will issue you a title for a fee. In Illinois it is $30.

Now the bad part. You will most likely have to pay the tax on the bike before they give you the title and unless you have a bill of sale, you will pay tax on retail cost.

So the bikes you "won", you will pay tax on retail value when new.

Or you can try to get a certificate of origin which is what you would call Honda or the manufacturer for, but only for the bikes you "won", the sponsored riders should have at least gotten a certificate of origin and if they did not give it to you, you will almost have to title it.
KennyT
Fantasy
233rd
4/10/2014 6:37am
We bought a bike from Roncada years ago with no title or MSO. It even had no serial numbers on the engine. It took some running around but we were able to get it done. DMV and then a trip over to the CHP of all places and a officer came out and attached a plate with a serial number to the engine cases. We did all of this with a simple bill of sale from the seller. This was about 12-13 yrs ago.....not sure if things have changed
Socket946
4/10/2014 7:13am
KennyT wrote:
We bought a bike from Roncada years ago with no title or MSO. It even had no serial numbers on the engine. It took some running...
We bought a bike from Roncada years ago with no title or MSO. It even had no serial numbers on the engine. It took some running around but we were able to get it done. DMV and then a trip over to the CHP of all places and a officer came out and attached a plate with a serial number to the engine cases. We did all of this with a simple bill of sale from the seller. This was about 12-13 yrs ago.....not sure if things have changed
Things have definitely changed in AZ.

It's not as easy as it once was, but can still be done.

In AZ..no proof of tax paid? You're paying taxes, on what they deemed the motorcycle was originally bought for!
500guy
4/10/2014 7:23am
You will need to go to DMV with the bike, they inspect it get the vin # then you have to buy a title bond (insurance) that the bike isn't stolen, then if there is no record they will issue you a title.

You could also look into the possibility of applying for an abandon title , since there is no title they shouldn't be able to have anyone step up and claim ownership.
IWreckALot
4/10/2014 8:01am
It varies from state to state. I had to go to the DMV about 4 times and kept going to different people until I got the information I needed. I bought my bike in Oklahoma and brought it to Texas to avoid sales tax. Somehow Texas issued the title without requiring sales tax on it. I did provide the sale paperwork though. I bought the bike in 08 and got the title for it in 2012.
moto543
4/10/2014 8:27am
I titled an '82 CR480 last year and get to title a '78 RM125 this year. Neither came with anything more than a bill of sale from the guy I bought them from.

This is how it works in Iowa - I have to get a hold of the police and have an officer come to my house with paper work - they show up pretty quick, so you have to do it when you have a free day. They check my bill of sale and run a VIN check (with my neighbors staring out their windows at the cop parked in my driveway). When that goes through, they finish the paper work and give it to me. Then I go to the county treasurer to get the title and registration process finished.

In Iowa, the people who work with automobile titles are not the same one that deal with off road vehicle titles. You should be able to look up the process on the Florida DMV web site.
FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4254th
4/10/2014 8:34am
Tim, it really depends on state law (Florida for you, right?).

In California, I believe you can do it by affidavit w/o MSO, but what we can do here is irrelevant to Florida.
lapper
4/10/2014 10:04am
FTE is right. It varies widely from State to State. Patience and Persistence is the key. I went round and round trying to get a title for a vintage bike a few years ago. Everyone kept telling me I had to talk to a Ms. Jones at the State MVA HQ. Problem was, Ms. Jones would never answer the phone, return Voice Mails, or respond to e-mails. After a month of trying, I took what documents I had down to the local MVA, and with my best poker face shoved them across the counter and said "Ms. Jones told me to give these to you and you'd give me a title". Walked out 10 minutes later with a title!
teggers
4/10/2014 9:49pm
Thanks for all the replies. I am in shows through the weekend. I will try EVERY idea starting Monday.

Post a reply to: How to generate a never issued Title? I'm sure some of you here have had this problem....

The Latest