How to explain JS7 to a newb?

Micahdogg
A new friend of mine has expressed interest in Supercross and he'll be coming over to watch A1 tomorrow. I explained the format to him and tried to familiarize him with the riders, the number of rounds, the new format, etc... but someone in the room asked about JS7 and I shrugged my shoulders saying that I still didn't know what was going on - and held out some hope since last year it took Chad Reed until just few days prior to A1 to announce his plans (that hope has vanished now).

So my question, which is sure to devolve into a sh*t show, but I hope someone can take seriously.......how would you explain JS7 to a newb as succinctly and accurately as possible. Because it is getting increasingly hard to describe his speed and not really have anything to point to in recent history.
|
hvaughn88
1/6/2017 8:10am
I wouldn't try to describe it. I would just open up YouTube and let the good times flow.
zingaa
1/6/2017 8:12am
I would say , used to be the best rider on the planet, but last few years has made too many excuses and is not at all focused and has embarrassed himself by entering races not prepared, has completely tarnished the legacy he once had.

The Shop

slipdog
1/6/2017 8:13am
He is one of the greatest ex champions to ever ride a dirt bike and then retired without saying a word... Legendary.
Micahdogg
1/6/2017 8:16am
Was the reverse cylinder YZ a factor in his struggles? He didn't do too shabby on the San Manuel YZ and....I have to think there was something to the handling of the reverse cylinder bike if Dr.D and JGR were doing engine relocation kits and attempting to correct something.
davistld01
1/6/2017 8:17am
slipdog wrote:
He is one of the greatest ex champions to ever ride a dirt bike and then retired without saying a word... Legendary.
You know...that's not a horrible legacy.
Shrout
1/6/2017 8:17am
He used to be known as the fastest man on the planet..
Now he and his brother seem to forget when SX starts and cant seem to pull their shit together because they're so strapped for cash..
early
Fantasy
2212th
1/6/2017 8:19am
IceMan446 wrote:
He is the Lebron James of MX/SX.

Hes more like Jordan. Incredible, changed the sport, biggest star, made some bad decisions, tried to recover but it was never the same then stepped away quietly. Shitty thing is alot of new fans would be too young to know Jordan or be familiar with his whole career trajectory.
1/6/2017 8:19am Edited Date/Time 1/6/2017 8:19am
Stewart hasn't been a factor since he was on a Yamaha, and his brother should have been willing to show up as a privateer and race. My question is why in the hell does anyone care? Because he is black? Why the hell else would some random D bag be asking about a rider that cant finish a race?
Myke
Fantasy
2883rd
1/6/2017 8:19am
zingaa wrote:
I would say , used to be the best rider on the planet, but last few years has made too many excuses and is not at...
I would say , used to be the best rider on the planet, but last few years has made too many excuses and is not at all focused and has embarrassed himself by entering races not prepared, has completely tarnished the legacy he once had.
Stupid reply. Have some respect! He changed the sport and amazing to watch riding a bike. Also probably the biggest personality to reach outside to the mainstream.
Micahdogg
1/6/2017 8:22am
Stewart hasn't been a factor since he was on a Yamaha, and his brother should have been willing to show up as a privateer and race...
Stewart hasn't been a factor since he was on a Yamaha, and his brother should have been willing to show up as a privateer and race. My question is why in the hell does anyone care? Because he is black? Why the hell else would some random D bag be asking about a rider that cant finish a race?
That is harsh. I only care because I really do think he is one of the fastest guys on the planet still. Just hard to convey that to a newb who didn't live through the 259 125cc years.
1/6/2017 8:27am
I watched that guy do things on a motorcycle nobody else could do, his speed was ridiculous but it doesn't matter if you cant keep it on 2 wheels. A 2 minute lead means nothing when you throw it away all by yourself. If there are still any stewart fans out there best of luck to you
mauidex
1/6/2017 8:28am
poster child for SHOULDA, WOULDA, COULDA

accomplished exceptionally more than most, but what could have been???

only guy besides GOAT perfect outside, on track to possibly tie or beat the KINGS record

not much else to say
bdub
1/6/2017 8:29am
Sit down and watch the 2009 Bar to Bar video, IMO that is when JS7 was at his best. After the wrist injury at the second round of 2010 (pretty sure it was the second round), guy has never been the same.
UpTiTe
Fantasy
4091st
1/6/2017 8:30am
Hes not going to be there so whu do you have to explain anything?
IceMan446
1/6/2017 8:35am Edited Date/Time 1/6/2017 8:36am
early wrote:
Hes more like Jordan. Incredible, changed the sport, biggest star, made some bad decisions, tried to recover but it was never the same then stepped away...
Hes more like Jordan. Incredible, changed the sport, biggest star, made some bad decisions, tried to recover but it was never the same then stepped away quietly. Shitty thing is alot of new fans would be too young to know Jordan or be familiar with his whole career trajectory.
Originally I was going to say that, but Jordan has records that are untouchable.

But I agree, like Jordan, he changed the game completely.

Lebron is just a freak of nature, like James.
1/6/2017 8:36am
IceMan446 wrote:
He is the Lebron James of MX/SX.

early wrote:
Hes more like Jordan. Incredible, changed the sport, biggest star, made some bad decisions, tried to recover but it was never the same then stepped away...
I personally think that comparing JS7 to LBJ or Jordan is ridiculous. I think those guys are/were much better at what they do/did.
Micahdogg
1/6/2017 8:36am
Friend - "Why are they laying the bikes on their side when taking off of the jumps?"

Me - There is nothing to explain. Smile
Clutchy
1/6/2017 8:43am
FUCKING FEARLESS............ and as pretty as anything you'll ever see. That's how...! IMHO. He's what Magoo would of been if he would of listened to DeCoster and slowed down a little...! James had a little bit of that bug also but had some bitterness that nothing to do with racing to go with it at times. One of the very best of all time and is the real reason we saw RC leave when he did.
JRT812
1/6/2017 8:44am
I watched that guy do things on a motorcycle nobody else could do, his speed was ridiculous but it doesn't matter if you cant keep it...
I watched that guy do things on a motorcycle nobody else could do, his speed was ridiculous but it doesn't matter if you cant keep it on 2 wheels. A 2 minute lead means nothing when you throw it away all by yourself. If there are still any stewart fans out there best of luck to you
His win totals says he used to be able to consistently keep it on 2 wheels.
mb60
1/6/2017 8:45am
He is just like Mike Tyson and Tiger Woods. All 3 were so dominant early on and they all 3 became just a memory later on.
1/6/2017 8:48am
I have the same struggle with my wife. We have been together six years and have followed moto the whole time, but she just doesn't understand how he changed the world of moto and she thinks he sucks because he hasn't finished a season in a while.

I've told her that we need to do a YouTube marathon, but she won't go for it ever since I tried the same strategy when she said that she didn't understand why I liked metallica so much.
Moto520
1/6/2017 8:54am
This is easy:

James Stewart is a legend in the sport of motocross and supercross. He is considered to be the fastest rider of all time. He had a great career and won multiple titles but this sport is extremely physically demanding and he had a few injuries that have been holding him back. We are not sure if he is going to be able to race this year but we want him to since everytime he is on a bike he is exciting. I wouldn't take about the WADA incident because it gives the impression that he was somehow cheating and we all know the circumstances behind that.

One of the greatest riders of all time but we aren't sure when he will race again.

I don't understand why this would be difficult to explain to people.......
Phantom 661
1/6/2017 8:55am
You can't really explain James to a newb. It was hard enough for people who followed the sport to believe what they were seeing with their own eyes.
slipdog
1/6/2017 8:59am Edited Date/Time 1/6/2017 9:00am
slipdog wrote:
davistld01 wrote:
You know...that's not a horrible legacy.
I think so. People are all up in arms right now, but in the future people will remember who he was and not how the last few years of his career didn't live up to their expectations.
Moto520
1/6/2017 9:00am Edited Date/Time 1/6/2017 9:01am
You can't really explain James to a newb. It was hard enough for people who followed the sport to believe what they were seeing with their...
You can't really explain James to a newb. It was hard enough for people who followed the sport to believe what they were seeing with their own eyes.
Exactly... explaining some of the shit that guy did on a motorcycle is impossible to accurately explain. If you were lucky enough to have seen it....you understand.

If we are ever lucky enough to see him back out there (which I think we will) ....make sure you go see him live. Whether he wins or not...he's one of the all time greats and the sport is better when he's out there.

Post a reply to: How to explain JS7 to a newb?

The Latest