How to NOT remove KTM 't-piece'

Piston Slap
Fantasy
2361st
2/21/2014 7:49pm
I agree with hvaughnn.......I wouldn't tell a soul, order a replacement online to be delivered in
a brown wrapped box with no distinguishing marks!!!!Laughing

Hope you have better luck in the future.

PEace man
PS
dcg141
2/21/2014 8:00pm
dcg141 wrote:
I am a KTM dealer and that T is hard to get apart. Warming it up with a propane torch helps loosen the pipe dope in...
I am a KTM dealer and that T is hard to get apart. Warming it up with a propane torch helps loosen the pipe dope in the threads. He is not the first one to mangle one...and he won't be the last.
MMCDan wrote:
Agreed. I would guess some of the folks giving this guy a hard time have never tried to remove/re-install one of these things. Horrible design.
I actually like the design. Cleans up the hoses on the bikes. The dope is probably a necessary evil. I will say I have never seen one leak.
SEEMEFIRST
2/21/2014 8:09pm Edited Date/Time 2/21/2014 8:12pm
I guess I don't understand. Why not make it a welded "T"? Not enough room?

I have to assume those clamps end up inside the frame where they are impossible to reach.
willie838
2/21/2014 8:13pm
not to sound like your wife but...."wouldn't buying the right tool have been cheaper?"

regular bill the butcher over there.

The Shop

ob
2/21/2014 8:13pm
SEEMEFIRST wrote:
I guess I don't understand. Why not make it a welded "T"? Not enough room? I have to assume those clamps end up inside the frame...
I guess I don't understand. Why not make it a welded "T"? Not enough room?

I have to assume those clamps end up inside the frame where they are impossible to reach.
It would be pretty hard to remove if it was a welded "T". I broke the last one I removed, no biggy it's like a $12 part.
SEEMEFIRST
2/21/2014 8:16pm
willie838 wrote:
not to sound like your wife but...."wouldn't buying the right tool have been cheaper?" regular bill the butcher over there. [img]http://kitup.military.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/Bill_the_Butcher_Iraq.jpg[/img]
not to sound like your wife but...."wouldn't buying the right tool have been cheaper?"

What kind of tool would help remove that besides heat?
dcg141
2/21/2014 8:20pm
The clamps you see are oetiker style clamps and not the ones that hold the radiator. The radiator slides into those rubber pieces and a regular screw clamp holds the radiator. That whole assy stays in place and the only reason to ever remove it is to replace or powdercoat the frame. Btw, KTM frames come with the frames powdercoated from the factory.
jeffro503
2/21/2014 8:25pm Edited Date/Time 2/21/2014 8:32pm
King.......I know some of these guys harped on ya....but I aint one that is. You obviously love the bike and the sport enough to take the time to do a project like this.....and you know?.....shit happens!

Get a new part....learn from your mistakes.....and move on. And post up some damn pics of the finished product!

BTW....it didn't sound like that piece is a very well thought out part from KTM. As it seems to be a bitch to get out of there without heating it up first. Don't sweat it!
Hut
2/21/2014 8:28pm
willie838 wrote:
not to sound like your wife but...."wouldn't buying the right tool have been cheaper?" regular bill the butcher over there. [img]http://kitup.military.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/Bill_the_Butcher_Iraq.jpg[/img]

SEEMEFIRST wrote:
What kind of tool would help remove that besides heat?
He said it has splines inside and he refused to buy the tool. Must be a special wrench that fits inside the down tube and locks into those splines?
socaldan
2/21/2014 9:11pm
MxKing, you have quite the collection of fine porcelain toilets there.
2/22/2014 3:21am Edited Date/Time 2/22/2014 3:24am
First off, as said herein you are a brave soul for posting this.

There are some classic comments in this thread. SmileSmileSmile Good to see you posting your problems and taking it with a grain of salt, well more like a whole bag of salt to your wounds.

All of this would not have been possible without your ultra trick "bucket stand."

I remember a post by Newmann about help with this same issue "before I bugger something up" when he was doing his and figured these things were a mess to remove if the old master was having issues. These damn new bikes.

BTW, with my luck I would have really screwed some things up trying to get that out of there and it would have made yours look like a work of art.

Note to self, leave mine alone or let someone else do it.

Good luck.

PS - If you decide to part that thing out now, I'm interested in the tank. LOL
MxKing809
Fantasy
158th
2/22/2014 3:31am Edited Date/Time 2/22/2014 3:33am
hvaughn88 wrote:
If I ever did something like that, first I would probably vomit. Like projectile vomit. Second, I would NEVER tell a soul...especially all of us assholes...
If I ever did something like that, first I would probably vomit. Like projectile vomit. Second, I would NEVER tell a soul...especially all of us assholes on here, haha. Props for at least owning up to your mistake and not giving a damn about posting it
Thanks man, it was a tough decision to post it for the world to see. But though It could supply a few laughs..... I've got tough skin.

Newman, you left yours in through the powder coating process?
MxKing809
Fantasy
158th
2/22/2014 3:34am
The bike made a stop at my wife's work before it made it home..... So we had to scramble for a trick stand, thus the bucket, and also explains all the toilet inventory!!
MxKing809
Fantasy
158th
2/22/2014 3:35am
Thanks Jeffro!
2/22/2014 3:43am
MxKing809 wrote:
The bike made a stop at my wife's work before it made it home..... So we had to scramble for a trick stand, thus the bucket...
The bike made a stop at my wife's work before it made it home..... So we had to scramble for a trick stand, thus the bucket, and also explains all the toilet inventory!!
Smile

I'm a first time KTMer and those things are sweet. You will love it.

Do you have other plans for it besides the orange frame?

If you do your shock make sure and get an X-Trig or KTM adjuster on there when the shock is apart. Also, if interested the map switch on the handlebars is a nice add on too.
2/22/2014 3:46am
This thread almost ranks up there with the Denn700 "killer thread" for being thick skinned and being able to laugh at problems that came your way.
MxKing809
Fantasy
158th
2/22/2014 5:15am

This is my game plan. I'm going to keep the stock clamps though, and only get black wheels if I sell my stockers.
Digger29
2/22/2014 6:05am
MxKing809 wrote:
Well I framed my new bike today. It's never been started before. Upon attempting to remove the T radiator hose assembly from the frame this happened...
Well I framed my new bike today. It's never been started before. Upon attempting to remove the T radiator hose assembly from the frame this happened......

SO...... I have a need for this now

This is my bike.....

This is it now.....

I borrowed the KTM tool and still broke my T pipe BUT it didn't look like yours :-) The guy failed to mention that it's epoxied together and that you have to heat it up & it will just unthread out. I like the Samco/Moose T fitting better anyway.
MxKing809
Fantasy
158th
2/22/2014 6:11am
I ordered the FTP-3. Hope that fits
ToolMaker
Fantasy
927th
2/22/2014 6:16am
dcg141 wrote:
I actually like the design. Cleans up the hoses on the bikes. The dope is probably a necessary evil. I will say I have never seen...
I actually like the design. Cleans up the hoses on the bikes. The dope is probably a necessary evil. I will say I have never seen one leak.
Ha, if it wasn't such a good bond, there would be a tons of threads about the shitty design and how they leak.
usp4u
2/22/2014 6:26am
enketchum wrote:
that looks like your fault
yup. the hose clamps still look compressed.
newmann
2/22/2014 6:31am
hvaughn88 wrote:
If I ever did something like that, first I would probably vomit. Like projectile vomit. Second, I would NEVER tell a soul...especially all of us assholes...
If I ever did something like that, first I would probably vomit. Like projectile vomit. Second, I would NEVER tell a soul...especially all of us assholes on here, haha. Props for at least owning up to your mistake and not giving a damn about posting it
MxKing809 wrote:
Thanks man, it was a tough decision to post it for the world to see. But though It could supply a few laughs..... I've got tough...
Thanks man, it was a tough decision to post it for the world to see. But though It could supply a few laughs..... I've got tough skin.

Newman, you left yours in through the powder coating process?
I painted my frame. Even sandblasting wouldn't remove the factory finish off the frame. KTM is building some good stuff.
usp4u
2/22/2014 6:33am
MxKing809 wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2014/02/22/46483/s1200_image.jpg[/img] This is my game plan. I'm going to keep the stock clamps though, and only get black wheels if I sell my stockers.

This is my game plan. I'm going to keep the stock clamps though, and only get black wheels if I sell my stockers.
Let me know if you find a way to get those graphics. The maker(Trinity) requires an order of 15 sets.

I have a '14 150SX and I want those too.
MxKing809
Fantasy
158th
2/22/2014 6:36am
Here on Michigan there are a couple riders who have the equipment to make full custom graphics. I'm going to have one of them make a replica with my sponsors on it
MxKing809
Fantasy
158th
2/22/2014 6:40am
Newman, it's was crazy difficult to find a powder coater that would remove the existing coat. I finally found a place that will 'bake' it off, because as you mentioned, sandblasting or even media blasting with steel grains will not work. For 200 bucks they're taking it from start to finish, so that's the route I'm going
BobPA
2/22/2014 7:08am
MMCDan wrote:
Agreed. I would guess some of the folks giving this guy a hard time have never tried to remove/re-install one of these things. Horrible design.
For sure, I bought the tool, heated it and still ended up leaving it in there for powder coat. Those things are a total PITA to remove. While the hammer comments are funny, they really don't apply here haha
jstein639
2/22/2014 8:05am Edited Date/Time 2/22/2014 8:07am
Most new bikes are not properly lubricated since the factory grease is slim to none. I've always stripped down every new bike I've ever owned to re-lube everything and ship the motor/suspension if I plan to go that route but that's just me.

I tried to quote kickerman but idk what happened
vetmxr
2/22/2014 8:21am
Man.....once its broke and not going to be used again, i sure don't see the big deal in destroying it to get it out, reminds me of trying to get the recessed allen cylinder bolts out of a ktm 530 exc that were locktighted in. That was a bitch. I love it when armchair mechanics act like they've never once in their life have used a vise grip to to get something apart that was fucked....

I question guys that DON'T tear their brand new bikes down to the frame and reasemble, loctite and grease it correctly....

Sean K
2/22/2014 8:30am
vetmxr wrote:
Man.....once its broke and not going to be used again, i sure don't see the big deal in destroying it to get it out, reminds me...
Man.....once its broke and not going to be used again, i sure don't see the big deal in destroying it to get it out, reminds me of trying to get the recessed allen cylinder bolts out of a ktm 530 exc that were locktighted in. That was a bitch. I love it when armchair mechanics act like they've never once in their life have used a vise grip to to get something apart that was fucked....

I question guys that DON'T tear their brand new bikes down to the frame and reasemble, loctite and grease it correctly....

Sean K
How else do you think we get broken bolts out? Grinning
crusher773
2/22/2014 8:35am
Million dollar questions was that new part more or less than the tool you needed?

Post a reply to: How to NOT remove KTM 't-piece'

The Latest