How much do you like Mud Races?

Zaugg
Edited Date/Time 7/19/2015 3:34pm
I can't for the life of me figure out why anyone wants a mud race. Bad for the bikes, bad for the riders, bad for the spectators at the race, bad for TV (even though Buds was pretty good), just all around bad.

It's cool to have one at least once at year but I want to see guys race each other, not survive the conditions. I get it, the Great Equalizer.

Those of you that like it...please educate me.

(Just for the record: I'm not suggesting cancelling a race because of rain. I'm just saying I don't understand why someone would want a mud race. Plain and Simple)

|
7/17/2015 10:47am
peelout wrote:
[img]https://media.giphy.com/media/aZ3LDBs1ExsE8/giphy.gif[/img]
Hahaha. That damn thing always gets me.

Personally, I hated the mud. But I grew up in Vegas so mud was scarce, and when it did rain it was more like drifting across a frozen lake than anything. It's one of those mental things with riding. Some guys enjoy it and probably couldn't give you a real reason as to why. Most people hate it for no reason other than its mud.
7/17/2015 10:51am
We had mud flats where I grew up. We used to ride up and down out the front of a Cops house, he'd call the bike cops, they'd chase us, we'd lead them onto the mud flats, they'd sink on their heavy XR650's and there'd be 20 kids on 80's roosting fuck out of them.

How can that not be fun?

I agree, one Mudder a season is enough.
WVUpetro2013
7/17/2015 10:52am
Zaugg wrote:
I can't for the life of me figure out why anyone wants a mud race. Bad for the bikes, bad for the riders, bad for the...
I can't for the life of me figure out why anyone wants a mud race. Bad for the bikes, bad for the riders, bad for the spectators at the race, bad for TV (even though Buds was pretty good), just all around bad.

It's cool to have one at least once at year but I want to see guys race each other, not survive the conditions. I get it, the Great Equalizer.

(Just for the record: I'm not suggesting cancelling a race because of rain. I'm just saying I don't understand why someone would want a mud race. Plain and Simple)

Personally, I enjoy the unpredicable events of mud races. Not suggesting I would like a season full of them but a couple here and there provide some interesting twists in the season. One thing about mud races too is that they are more frequently remembered due to the choas. Just some off the top of my head I remember watching: high point 97', 00'. Spring creek 07', budds 09', 15', Indiana 14'.

The Shop

hillbilly
7/17/2015 10:54am
Love it,always. Would lay in bed at LLs at nite and pray for rain .

I know exactly what to do to a bike to make it handle mud to where you aren't fighting it wearing yourself out.

Most guys dont change a thing and that is a big mistake,

I loved it just for that reason,most just ride it like its dry and my way makes it so much easier.
imoto34
Fantasy
3179th
7/17/2015 10:57am
Its a lot of fun. The op must not like to get dirty!
h&m_cycle
7/17/2015 11:18am
Love it but the tampons need to be left at home for both the fans & riders...

Millville

7/17/2015 11:41am
Mud racing is my absolute favorite time to ride and watch, there's never a time when I'm riding when I have a bigger smile on my race!
7/17/2015 11:48am
I always did well in mud (snow a few times) races. I'm not a fan of an all out mudder on tv but a muddy rainy race where a few top guys shine is good because it shakes up the championship and gives a little more drama.
gt80rider
7/17/2015 12:01pm
Mud racing is my absolute favorite time to ride and watch, there's never a time when I'm riding when I have a bigger smile on my...
Mud racing is my absolute favorite time to ride and watch, there's never a time when I'm riding when I have a bigger smile on my race!
X2.... Riding in mud is my favorite and same goes for watching the pro race in it
Teej317
Fantasy
2087th
7/17/2015 12:14pm
Love mud races. Guys who excel in line selection like CP377 and BB4 make it fun to watch.
crf250pilot
7/17/2015 12:23pm
#991 wrote:
We had mud flats where I grew up. We used to ride up and down out the front of a Cops house, he'd call the bike...
We had mud flats where I grew up. We used to ride up and down out the front of a Cops house, he'd call the bike cops, they'd chase us, we'd lead them onto the mud flats, they'd sink on their heavy XR650's and there'd be 20 kids on 80's roosting fuck out of them.

How can that not be fun?

I agree, one Mudder a season is enough.
Haha! sound like a blast, I bet they sent the rookie cops out there too.
KMC440
7/17/2015 12:25pm
I hate mud racing .... but for some ridiculous reason I cannot explain I do well in it... which pisses me off because I seriously don't like it.
lostboy819
Fantasy
1342nd
7/17/2015 12:33pm
Not much fun to watch but I love to race in the mud.
peelout
7/17/2015 12:36pm
throw the quads out there to get rid of the slop and get on with the show
kongols
7/17/2015 1:23pm Edited Date/Time 7/17/2015 1:23pm
Unpredictability is what`s fun. But that`s just for a spectator like me.
7/17/2015 3:33pm Edited Date/Time 7/17/2015 3:33pm
I like to watch them race it, I like to race it myself, it's a test of skill and the mental ability to remember that the faster you go the easier it is, regardless what your brain tells you, tell it to stfu.

To see the fast pros in mud just makes me chuckle, they (some of them) make it look too easy, and you usually get an upset order which is great for 'lesser' riders and us as spectators.

What's not to like?

Edit: of course I'm English, perhaps that's part of it
BobPA
7/17/2015 3:35pm
Love them. It rains a lot in PA so it is what I grew up in
7/17/2015 6:47pm
As a TV/online spectator, I get fired up when the forecast predicts rain at a national. Mudders are the tits. Who is willing to either dig deep or give zero fucks?

Fat Fingers
7/17/2015 7:00pm
I used to love mud races. I was better in the mud than in the dry.
Zaugg
7/17/2015 7:25pm
Oh be careful Average Joe...the Vital Elite are gonna "rain" all over your opinion. haha

Clearly in order to be a real man, a core racer, a true fan, etc, etc, you have to LOVE mud races...as a participant and a fan. End of story.

I've converted. I love mud races. Hope the rest of the season are mud races. Nothing like a good mud race. It's what motocross is all about.

Jack mehoff
7/17/2015 7:25pm
If you grew up in any cold wether climate , all you get in the spring is mud as my dad said there are 3 seasons , snow , mud and dust , after a long winter starring at your bike you will ride it in any weather you can was the best time off the year as a kid growing up ,
ChrisB10
7/17/2015 7:42pm Edited Date/Time 7/18/2015 3:29am
Zaugg wrote:
I can't for the life of me figure out why anyone wants a mud race. Bad for the bikes, bad for the riders, bad for the...

I agree. Millville is such a great track. It's so fast and has such a good rhythm to it. Why people prefer to have guys going at 1/2 speed through slop is beyond me. Hey look the best riders in the world rolling a double.....sick!
Grizz
7/17/2015 7:57pm
hillbilly wrote:
Love it,always. Would lay in bed at LLs at nite and pray for rain . I know exactly what to do to a bike to make...

I know exactly what to do to a bike to make it handle mud to where you aren't fighting it wearing yourself out.

I loved it just for that reason,most just ride it like its dry and my way makes it so much easier.
Care to send me a PM? I suck in the mud...
brimx153
7/17/2015 7:58pm
hate them to watch ,on tv . i am prob just sick of seeing rain lol , its always lashing rain ,you dont know how lucky yous are in the us , getting to ride in good weather the whole time
Starcrossed
7/17/2015 8:44pm Edited Date/Time 7/17/2015 11:24pm
I'm going to weigh in with the anti-mud crowd on this one, for most of the reasons already stated. I'd rather see riders racing at full speed and negotiating the obstacles as they were intended. A mudder every now and then provides some entertainment, but I can do without them for the remainder of this season.
It really hurts the privateers who race on a limited budget, and eliminating practice sessions and the LCQs isn't very appealing either...just ask Seeley.
hillbilly
7/17/2015 8:48pm
hillbilly wrote:
Love it,always. Would lay in bed at LLs at nite and pray for rain . I know exactly what to do to a bike to make...

Grizz wrote:
Care to send me a PM? I suck in the mud...
The biggest thing to do to the bike is slow the steering. The mud that packs around the front is all sprung weight making the fork sag and steering faster. The 1st gen USD fork had the spring in the bottom so I would flip the bike over and add preload .

Now you cant do that easy so I take 2 rounds off the shock spring and lower the forks all the way in the clamps to chopper the bike out. The speeds are lower in mud so the rear sag being off just isnt important to me as the control gain.

I would also go up one main jet to cool the engine some. Plus always ran screen over the rads.
Loosen the chain some to,I carried a setup of worn sprokets and chain that got the axel to max wheelbase.

I gotta post this up incase my puter locks. More to come
hillbilly
7/17/2015 9:00pm
I hit the track in practice asap and ride my own line,everybody always goes post to post or barrel to barrel,whatever marks the turns.

I found riding off that,even if its just 2 laps ,cutting that line it would be there for my moto a lot and when the guys are lined out in that beaten path I already knew that line I put down earlier.

I go up a few pounds on tire pressure also,you are more app to flat in mud because of hitting things you cant see and carrying more weight.

Even if the mud is splashy like its still raining and not sticky yet the slower steering just let me motor by guys while the swap ruts from the steering being so quick on bikes today.

Went to baileys one year,when it was all boxvans and purdy boys from cali. It was raining like hell and practice opened. I took my practice bike out,no tech band or sticker and rode for 20 mins before anyone else got out there. Gary got on the pa and took them if they didn't get out there he would pull their entry or some shit.

The lines I cut were still there in my quali.

Good times.
imoto34
Fantasy
3179th
7/17/2015 10:21pm
Hillbilly do you have a fav tire you run in the mud around these Tn hills?

Post a reply to: How much do you like Mud Races?

The Latest