How many of you have ever deep-bruised an ankle bone and no break

NorcalVet
Edited Date/Time 3/28/2016 6:57pm
Hit an open track /pre race weekend on Feb 5th
- finally feeling normal almost two months later

Rolled my ankle/ cased a jump/ foot slipped off (I think?)
- you know it's bad when you ride back to the pits and you don't want to take off your boot. Next day swollen, purple around my whole foot and all my toes. Had x-rays nothing broken. I asked are you sure!!! Because it hurts bad and thumping all night long every night until like yesterday.

|
Pirate421
3/27/2016 5:37pm
Yea I did that a few months ago. Went over a hip jump and the wind took the bike out from under me and landed with all my weight and the bike on my ankle. Couldn't walk for about a month and the doc said no break. Man it hurt tho
Idp57
Fantasy
2607th
3/27/2016 5:56pm
Last weekend I crashed really bad :-) Did the same thing to my left elbow,knee and two fingers.Nothing broken ,just real big pain :-)I was wondering how long it will take to heal!?
3/27/2016 5:57pm Edited Date/Time 3/27/2016 5:59pm
I had the exact same thing happen to one of my ankles about 2 years ago while racing bmx. Planted my foot down after getting loose in a rhythm section with all the speed / weight on it ... It almost instantly felt like my ankle exploded. It was so bad that my foot was stuck in my shoe. My ankle / leg was about double the size of my other one, i could not stand on it or put any weight on it. It looked really similair in colour like your picture!

After many hours of icing it i eventually got it checked out, nothing broken .. tore my ligaments & bruised my bone though. It was quite the painfull affair and took really long to heal. After about a month i could "walk" with it again. But the pain remained (stingy feeling) for almost a year. Now it's been all good no issues when running or cycling, it does kinda feel like i lost some range in the motions i can make with my foot though.

Overall shitty injury!!
Jeremy200
3/27/2016 6:11pm Edited Date/Time 3/27/2016 8:28pm
yer, had that. cased a triple. thought it was broken but it wasn't.

crutches for 8 weeks and it hurt more than any bone i had broken. it took about 4 months to ride and a year before it felt strong enough to run on.

a sucky injury.

The Shop

Fat Fingers
3/27/2016 6:32pm
I slammed my foot on the ground and broke my big toe and badly bruised my heel. After 3 weeks my toe was out of the cast and I was able to ride again but heel was sore for about another month after that.
moscrop940
3/27/2016 6:45pm
My dad deep bruised both at the same time....Hes broken his back, leg, arms, wrists, but says those two bruised ankles were the worst pain he's ever dealt with.

Mostly because there is nothing they can do to fix it, just gotta ride it out.

Best of luck on a speedy recovery
JVT357
Fantasy
3149th
3/27/2016 6:56pm
It is really hard to see small fractures of the metatarsal bones of the foot with just plain xray. You could easily have a talus fracture that was not visualized on the first set of xrays. I would highly recommend at CT scan if you really want to be sure nothing is broken. At least follow up with an Ortho doctor and get a second opinion especially if your are still having problems.
MxKing809
Fantasy
315th
3/27/2016 7:15pm
Bruised my lower femur right at the knee joint. It's been almost a year and it's still tender
cable
3/27/2016 7:17pm Edited Date/Time 3/27/2016 7:18pm
i did that. thought it was broken. swollen big time, and black and blue. went to a chiropractor the next day, maybe with a buddy, and the chiro says. let me check it out. Im like hell no! he touched a piano tuning fork to it, after tapping it and making it vibrate. if its broken it will hurt bad he says. didn't hurt. he pulled it out and made a bunch of noise. the next day the swelling was gone and it hurt way less. felt fine two days later. had the same thing with ribs once too..
kkawboy14
3/27/2016 7:18pm
Probably easier to ask, "who hasn't rolled an ankle"
Idp57
Fantasy
2607th
3/27/2016 7:29pm
cable wrote:
i did that. thought it was broken. swollen big time, and black and blue. went to a chiropractor the next day, maybe with a buddy, and...
i did that. thought it was broken. swollen big time, and black and blue. went to a chiropractor the next day, maybe with a buddy, and the chiro says. let me check it out. Im like hell no! he touched a piano tuning fork to it, after tapping it and making it vibrate. if its broken it will hurt bad he says. didn't hurt. he pulled it out and made a bunch of noise. the next day the swelling was gone and it hurt way less. felt fine two days later. had the same thing with ribs once too..
Geez ...I went too.The guy was twisting my fingers,my arm and my leg like mean MF lol.Felt better after ....:-)
NorcalVet
3/27/2016 8:08pm
Yes I for sure thought it was cracked at least. I even asked for crutches and just toughed it out for a few more days. Then I called again and saiid it hurts too bad to not have a least a small crack. Rolled plenty of ankles either on the bike or even playing sports like hoops.

They said nope no break/ crack. I followed up and asked for CT scan. They said give it a couple days and we'll see. I had about two days before having to be back to work. Went back w/ a good ankle brace. And their recommendation of RICE as often as I could. Googled it myself and diagnosed myself w/ a deep bone bruise. Since all the comments were the same. LOL.

It hurt like a mo fo for almost two months and then over night The pain was gone. I also did their recommended PT of spelling the alphabet w/ my big toe. ROM seems about 100% also.

.... I really thought about taking a break from riding and selling my bikes. Just was frustrated w/ lack of seat time and the best part of the year around here was around the corner.

I've had plenty of broken bones and sprains: Wrist, femur, etc. but this was different. Now I need to wash and prepperate my bikes and get my self on the track Cool

GuyB
Fantasy
988th
3/27/2016 8:12pm
That photo looks more like a sprain than a deep bruise.
gsxr6
3/27/2016 8:14pm
Stepped of porch wrong on a Monday night. Still made Hollister tat Sat.(2 weeks ago) and rode both days this weekend . it's sore
TheGetFresh
Fantasy
2551st
3/27/2016 10:23pm
I had an injury like that. Luckily the ankle is pretty hearty. Had instability for 3 months, pain for six. Healed up without ever being casted and now I rarely notice it. I had a balance board (endo board) that I used once I had enough range of motion and strength. Really helped restore stability. Good luck.
jeffro503
3/27/2016 10:34pm
I hate to admit this but 2yrs ago i ran over my own foot. Swapped out down this really rough downhill section , panicked a little , put my foot out right when the bike swapped really bad...and ran over my foot and ankle.

It damned near ripped me off the bike as i was side straddled. Ankle and foot were bruised pretty bad.

I feel your pain man , and it sucks.
philG
3/27/2016 11:14pm
Yup.. Did both of them, will be black and blue for a week, and take a month to feel right.
NHtoWA421
3/28/2016 12:39am
I had a similar deal last summer. Ended up cracking my heal. Lined up and attempted the 2ND moto. Couldnt tough it out. 3 weeks later i ran a half marithon on it. Worst pain of my life, but blocked it all out to the point where i pissed myself, and finished 4th in my age group. Would have pooped too probably if i had to. 7 months in and it still swells up and acts a fool. Overall pretty shitty injury.
MR. X
3/28/2016 2:47am
I had one look like that .Came up short on a jump and basically my toes tried to touch shin bone. Went in after a few days to get an x-ray and they said compression sprain, I betcha I limp on that thing for the next 6 weeks .
mjr119
3/28/2016 4:21am
Foot injuries are the worst. Sorry to hear about yours.

I fractured my heel 3 weeks ago, not a complete break, but close. Ortho said I would be walking on it in my aircast without crutches by now, but I can bear to put any weight on it yet. The anatomy and physiology of the foot makes me think I won't be able to walk for several more weeks. When my arch flattens out under weight, I feel like it has to widen the fracture.

Has anyone had a heel fracture?

It sucks!!! I want to ride!! and to top it all off, I did it skateboarding!
Uncle Tony
3/28/2016 4:47am
Yup did mine in 1998 racing pit bikes, still swollen
c0ncEpT
3/28/2016 4:56am
Did the same thing to my knee at the end of last year. Hurt so bad I couldn't walk on it. Went to the doctor and he took xrays and didn't see anything broken. It was so swollen and the range of motion was so bad that he ordered an MRI.

Turned out it was a very deep sprain/bruise. About 8 weeks later I was back to 100%.
3/28/2016 7:24am Edited Date/Time 3/28/2016 7:27am
When i was 13 Came off a watered face squirrelly. Put my foot down. Landed directly on it. Thought same thing. Wasn't broke but damn it still took 7 weeks to feel good.

Then last year, first race of year in March I overshot an uphill to flat. And I swear my big toe touched my shin. Considered buying ankle savers after that one. Thought ankle was broke. Swollen and purple. Just sprained. That injury nagged me all the way to August when I broke collarbone.
MR. X
3/28/2016 8:12am
I bent my foot in half in 07 ,that was a painful brrak. Cold rainy days still make me walk with a limp.
sandman768
3/28/2016 8:30am
I"ve done this many times, so often, I took up guitar to keep me busy while being laid up. Let it heal completely or you will keep reinjuring it. I went to Dicks sporting goods & bought lace up ankle braces, thin enough to wear inside my boots. They help prevent it from happening again.
b8res
3/28/2016 9:29am
NorcalVet wrote:
Hit an open track /pre race weekend on Feb 5th - finally feeling normal almost two months later Rolled my ankle/ cased a jump/ foot slipped...

- you know it's bad when you ride back to the pits and you don't want to take off your boot. Next day swollen, purple around my whole foot and all my toes. Had x-rays nothing broken. I asked are you sure!!! Because it hurts bad and thumping all night long every night until like yesterday.

Mike,

Is this from the Oatfield?? Dang!!! Heal up! Need another Suz on the line!
NorcalVet
3/28/2016 2:18pm
NorcalVet wrote:
Hit an open track /pre race weekend on Feb 5th - finally feeling normal almost two months later Rolled my ankle/ cased a jump/ foot slipped...

b8res wrote:
Mike,

Is this from the Oatfield?? Dang!!! Heal up! Need another Suz on the line!
Yep.... From Friday's practice

I so wanted to race on Saturday, the track was awesome and looked like chocolate cake. Both bikes were running great too.

Hope to be out there soon, or a OTHG / SOT ride day to test it out

Brrrrraaaapppp
3/28/2016 3:45pm
eh tighten your boot and keep going.

I rolled an ankle pretty bad once but didn't have time to stop and look at it. after a couple days I looked and foot was purple and throbbing. still no time to go to medical. just pulled the boot laces a little tighter and kept on truckin....

29 days later finally got an x ray they told me it had been fractured and chipped but its just about healed.

OR Racer46
Fantasy
876th
3/28/2016 6:57pm
After seeing all these pics I figured I better get some new boots . These are like wearing slippers Shouldn't have to worry about my ankles now

Post a reply to: How many of you have ever deep-bruised an ankle bone and no break

The Latest