How hard can it bloody be

brimx153
Edited Date/Time 5/21/2016 11:51pm
To replicate the track s they practice on ,to the ones they race on. After reading Racer x . , they said after one lap of hangtown press day riders were coming in changing everything . I am just fed up of this excuse . Lately every year if someone does nt win its because the set up was off . Its only press day and it s already started . If the set up is off there is only one person to blame and thats the rider himself , no one else. If the practice on perfect tracks the whole time ,what do they expect or the teams . I just dont get it . Surely its not that hard to replicate race conditions .Or is it !!

ps , if a rider says I set up the bike wrong instead of WE , i would have as much of a problem with it . I think MXGP riders are alot better at this , its rare they use the set up excuse . But when they do .They own it ,I MADE THE WRONG CHANGES .

Bring on the outdoors may the best rider win . Not the best set up
|
Dezerted
5/20/2016 2:05pm Edited Date/Time 5/20/2016 2:13pm
Unsure

They practice on tracks that are open to the public. I would kill myself if I rode Glen Helen in the condition it is after a national day

Most riders acknowledge setup issues are their fault
RG1
5/20/2016 2:08pm
Was funny last year how Dungey found the right set up just after Thunder Valley. Had nothing to do with the guy who was beating him by 1.30 crashing out. Just ride it and get on with it
karsmakers
5/20/2016 2:17pm
Maybe we don't ride "fast enough" to notice a bike that isn't set up properly? These riders are within a second or two a lap of each other and a proper set up could make the difference between winning and a top 5. But, having said that I am also tired of the set up excuse....just keep it to yourself
reded
5/20/2016 2:18pm
That's the good thing about being a slow, shitty rider. I don't know if my setup is good or bad, I just hang on to the bucking fucker and try a different line next lap. Laughing

The Shop

Olson
5/20/2016 2:19pm
RG1 wrote:
Was funny last year how Dungey found the right set up just after Thunder Valley. Had nothing to do with the guy who was beating him...
Was funny last year how Dungey found the right set up just after Thunder Valley. Had nothing to do with the guy who was beating him by 1.30 crashing out. Just ride it and get on with it
Dungey took a lot of shit from the man before he started winning motos last year.
5/20/2016 2:22pm
Remember the old days when riders just showed up and rode the damn bike lol. Throughout the 80s and 90's I never once heard a rider blame "setup" for a loss. What's going on that every rider has that as the first excuse for a shitty result?
kkawboy14
5/20/2016 2:32pm Edited Date/Time 5/20/2016 2:36pm
brimx153 wrote:
To replicate the track s they practice on ,to the ones they race on. After reading Racer x . , they said after one lap of...
To replicate the track s they practice on ,to the ones they race on. After reading Racer x . , they said after one lap of hangtown press day riders were coming in changing everything . I am just fed up of this excuse . Lately every year if someone does nt win its because the set up was off . Its only press day and it s already started . If the set up is off there is only one person to blame and thats the rider himself , no one else. If the practice on perfect tracks the whole time ,what do they expect or the teams . I just dont get it . Surely its not that hard to replicate race conditions .Or is it !!

ps , if a rider says I set up the bike wrong instead of WE , i would have as much of a problem with it . I think MXGP riders are alot better at this , its rare they use the set up excuse . But when they do .They own it ,I MADE THE WRONG CHANGES .

They are practicing on pristine tracks instead of practicing on roached out beat up tracks!

It's like their bikes, they get $10,000 bikes that weigh 8 ounces and have 48 gears.......dude if you want to get in shape go get a beach cruiser that weighs 69 pounds and no gears
brimx153
5/20/2016 2:36pm
Remember the old days when riders just showed up and rode the damn bike lol. Throughout the 80s and 90's I never once heard a rider...
Remember the old days when riders just showed up and rode the damn bike lol. Throughout the 80s and 90's I never once heard a rider blame "setup" for a loss. What's going on that every rider has that as the first excuse for a shitty result?
X2 this . Even early 00 , did you ever hear RC make that excuse when he got beat . No . I know they have to have the set up close . but if you ride nearly every day ,have millions behind you with a full factory team . how hard can it be to set up a bike . There problem is practicing on smooth tracks the whole time . Why do they keep doing it . I just dont get it
peelout
5/20/2016 2:36pm Edited Date/Time 5/20/2016 2:39pm
one of the biggest drawbacks to having the supercross series right before the outdoors is it leaves very little time for testing. i will say i've always thought it was odd that they test/practice/train on freeway tracks but who am i to say one or the other.

one thing i like about the MXGP (sorry for comparing) is that they start later in the year and leave plenty of time to work out the kinks before the first race. not only that but the space between rounds sometimes gives additional time to test and find proper settings.

just my undeducated opinion.

i'd like to see American Motocross start in March/April and end in August, then a few weeks later Supercross start up. but it'll never happen.

ps... the bad setup excuse is getting long in the tooth
brimx153
5/20/2016 2:41pm
brimx153 wrote:
To replicate the track s they practice on ,to the ones they race on. After reading Racer x . , they said after one lap of...

kkawboy14 wrote:
They are practicing on pristine tracks instead of practicing on roached out beat up tracks! It's like their bikes, they get $10,000 bikes that weigh 8...
They are practicing on pristine tracks instead of practicing on roached out beat up tracks!

It's like their bikes, they get $10,000 bikes that weigh 8 ounces and have 48 gears.......dude if you want to get in shape go get a beach cruiser that weighs 69 pounds and no gears
I know ,But why . I just dont get it . I mean they act like its impossible to practice on a track similar to Hangtown . I mean surely all you have to do is not grade the track and practice on it . How do the teams paying the million s let them get away with it .
brimx153
5/20/2016 2:46pm
peelout wrote:
one of the biggest drawbacks to having the supercross series right before the outdoors is it leaves very little time for testing. i will say i've...
one of the biggest drawbacks to having the supercross series right before the outdoors is it leaves very little time for testing. i will say i've always thought it was odd that they test/practice/train on freeway tracks but who am i to say one or the other.

one thing i like about the MXGP (sorry for comparing) is that they start later in the year and leave plenty of time to work out the kinks before the first race. not only that but the space between rounds sometimes gives additional time to test and find proper settings.

just my undeducated opinion.

i'd like to see American Motocross start in March/April and end in August, then a few weeks later Supercross start up. but it'll never happen.

ps... the bad setup excuse is getting long in the tooth
thats a fair point ,about MXGP . But i am just waiting for the set up excuse s from everyone sat . Bar the one s who won .
731chopper
Fantasy
355th
5/20/2016 2:49pm
I agree with you. Ricky Carmichael went out there practically on a chopper with low rider bars and worked the competition. His "setup" had to of been one of the worst yet he still pummeled everyone because he had the heart and ability to do so.

"Setup" and "kit" are two terms I hate in our sport.
avidchimp
Fantasy
1250th
5/20/2016 2:50pm
Give a guy one donut and he will eat THAT donut. Walk him into a donut shop and he will want to try them all.
bvm111
5/20/2016 3:27pm
reded wrote:
That's the good thing about being a slow, shitty rider. I don't know if my setup is good or bad, I just hang on to the...
That's the good thing about being a slow, shitty rider. I don't know if my setup is good or bad, I just hang on to the bucking fucker and try a different line next lap. Laughing
Too funny... Thats my technique as well! TongueTongue
Mr. G
5/20/2016 3:55pm
It's both. As speeds have increased, set up has become a factor it wasn't before. It's legit. Also since becoming legit it can be used as a scapegoat.
Steiny
5/20/2016 3:58pm Edited Date/Time 5/20/2016 3:59pm
Remember the old days when riders just showed up and rode the damn bike lol. Throughout the 80s and 90's I never once heard a rider...
Aluminum frames. Trust me, guys in the 80s tested endlessly too.

Edit. Probably even more so because there was so much more you could change.
Jeff alessi
5/20/2016 3:58pm
After reading this thread I feel like guyb needs a like button on every comment just like instagram.
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
5/20/2016 4:02pm
Amateur riders had spent the morning doing an open practice on the track they rode on Thursday. It was far from pristine.

Last Thursday at Glen Helen, GEICO Honda, Monster Energy Pro Circuit Kawasaki, Yamalube Star Racing Yamaha, and Traders Racing were among the last teams to leave.

I think you're taking one line from a Racer X report and putting way too much stock in it. This is a fairly common thing every year. They're making the transition from SX to MX. They're also trying to make stuff as good as it can be.

I'd guess that even if you asked the winner on any particular day if he was completely happy with his suspension, he'd still want to make changes.
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
5/20/2016 4:04pm
After reading this thread I feel like guyb needs a like button on every comment just like instagram.
*Like*

Or maybe we need a Chicken Little button.

The sky is falling, the sky is falling!
plowboy
5/20/2016 4:25pm
reded wrote:
That's the good thing about being a slow, shitty rider. I don't know if my setup is good or bad, I just hang on to the...
bvm111 wrote:
Too funny... Thats my technique as well! TongueTongue
Add me to that buckaroo list. If yer spine is getting beat to death then find better lines.
5/20/2016 4:28pm
GuyB wrote:
Amateur riders had spent the morning doing an open practice on the track they rode on Thursday. It was far from pristine. Last Thursday at Glen...
Amateur riders had spent the morning doing an open practice on the track they rode on Thursday. It was far from pristine.

Last Thursday at Glen Helen, GEICO Honda, Monster Energy Pro Circuit Kawasaki, Yamalube Star Racing Yamaha, and Traders Racing were among the last teams to leave.

I think you're taking one line from a Racer X report and putting way too much stock in it. This is a fairly common thing every year. They're making the transition from SX to MX. They're also trying to make stuff as good as it can be.

I'd guess that even if you asked the winner on any particular day if he was completely happy with his suspension, he'd still want to make changes.
That is true and you obviously know a lot more about this than any of us idiots, but you only seem to see these guys on the California tracks for a few weeks before the outdoors starts. Seems like the rest of the year their all in Florida on a track that is prepped everyday for less than 10 riders.

That's just how it looks from the outside looking in, I could be way off.
kiwifan
5/20/2016 4:31pm
I think you are all reading too much into it, plus everyone needs to get as much out of their machine and these days with the amount of setup settings available to them then it is hardly surprising is it?
Torco1
5/20/2016 4:32pm
brimx153 wrote:

"Fed up"?? it's going to be ok little buddy.......it's just a motorbike race......no reason to go shooting the neighbors dog or punching someones baby.
Clutchy
5/20/2016 4:42pm
reded wrote:
Quote of the day....! That was me.
Clutchy
5/20/2016 4:50pm
GuyB wrote:
Amateur riders had spent the morning doing an open practice on the track they rode on Thursday. It was far from pristine. Last Thursday at Glen...

That and I would never call GH a freeway track. That place is scary fast and rougher then Prairie city imo. nothing smooth going on there.
Brent
5/20/2016 4:59pm
Clutchy wrote:
That and I would never call GH a freeway track. That place is scary fast and rougher then Prairie city imo. nothing smooth going on there.
...anyone who claims Glen helen is a "freeway track" never rode it on a thursday afternoon. Way more challenging than Carlsbad raceway ever was on its worst day.
Tim507
5/20/2016 5:04pm
Here in the local NW area (IMHO) the tracks are fairly well groomed and not particularly rough. I've spent some time getting the suspension to work fairly well. Last weekend I went to Niarada Montana.... in my opinion it was THE best track I've ridden in years. It was friggen rough as hell! Lots of G Outs, square edges , drop-offs, elevation changes ........my suspension worked like sheet.

Cannot wait to go again next year with a better setup! Pretty sure I'm going to setup two sets of suspension for real MX tracks and the groomed version.

I cam well imagine that Hangtown like GH gets rougher than heck.
5/20/2016 5:09pm
731chopper wrote:
I agree with you. Ricky Carmichael went out there practically on a chopper with low rider bars and worked the competition. His "setup" had to of...
I agree with you. Ricky Carmichael went out there practically on a chopper with low rider bars and worked the competition. His "setup" had to of been one of the worst yet he still pummeled everyone because he had the heart and ability to do so.

"Setup" and "kit" are two terms I hate in our sport.
I hate the phrase "engine package".
Osaka627
5/20/2016 5:09pm
Pretty sure back in like 2006 MTF replicated the first three SX Rounds or something of the sort.

Post a reply to: How hard can it bloody be

The Latest