How does one go about making a CRF450RX rideable off road?

user760a
Edited Date/Time 6/4/2020 1:27am
Good bike, fast, nimble, quality construction. The injection is terrible, though. very abrupt, imposssible to roll on smoothly. Combine that with what feels like zero flywheel effect and you have a super nice unrideable bike.

my thoughts are 1)remap- 2) flywheel weight

anybody done this stuff? even on an R model?
|
ML512
Fantasy
54th
5/9/2017 4:40pm
user760a wrote:
Good bike, fast, nimble, quality construction. The injection is terrible, though. very abrupt, imposssible to roll on smoothly. Combine that with what feels like zero flywheel...
Good bike, fast, nimble, quality construction. The injection is terrible, though. very abrupt, imposssible to roll on smoothly. Combine that with what feels like zero flywheel effect and you have a super nice unrideable bike.

Which map are you running it in currently? Personally, I thought it was quite smooth on the single track I rode it on...
TeamGreen
5/9/2017 4:47pm
user760a wrote:
Good bike, fast, nimble, quality construction. The injection is terrible, though. very abrupt, imposssible to roll on smoothly. Combine that with what feels like zero flywheel...

ML512 wrote:
Which map are you running it in currently? Personally, I thought it was quite smooth on the single track I rode it on...
We ran the mellow map...even on the MX track where you rooster me!

Laughing

user760a
5/9/2017 4:50pm
the mellow map does not seem significantly different than the other two. Throttle inputs are impossibly jerky, it almost feels like it is lean surging if you try to hold a steady throttle opening. It is hypersensative to thottle, feels lean, and has no flywheel weight. terrible combination for any trail more technical than a gravel road. hell, it's even annoying on gravel roads. great bike, horrible ECU settings
Xeno
5/9/2017 5:11pm
Mellow map is working good on the West coast. The GNCC bikes get re-mapped for race fuel and racer preference.
Re-map before you add flywheel weight.

The Shop

user760a
5/9/2017 5:14pm
what are you using? the honda mapping tool?
j100
5/9/2017 5:16pm
user760a wrote:

i thought it was really good. it's not a KTM 300, but i love riding mine.

i am looking for a flywheel weight to try. the few companies I've called don't make them yet.

i just ordered a rekluse. the new clutch, with a nice flywheel weight should do the trick for me.
j100
5/9/2017 5:17pm
Xeno wrote:
Mellow map is working good on the West coast. The GNCC bikes get re-mapped for race fuel and racer preference.
who is making the weights? the few people i've called don't make them yet.
Xeno
5/9/2017 5:32pm
We haven't added flywheel weight, j100.

user760a- if you are riding tight terrain, try adding 2 teeth to the rear sprocket. Stock is 13/50, try 13/52.
user760a
5/9/2017 5:34pm
I see this thing as a fine west coast bike, though the injection is not good- west coast type riding de-emphasizes the most annoying zone. I just rode this thing at a rocky rooty tight beaten down trail loop in New England and it is a nightmare there. Truthfully, it was 300 two stroke territory for sure, but the 450RX was especially bad. But im not going to be in New England much longer- will be back to NC

I really don't like to resort to adding more flywheel weight , since the bulk of the problem is the injection and possibly the ignition (advanced too much)

adding flywheel weight would be a bandaid solution
Xeno
5/9/2017 5:38pm
j100 wrote:
who is making the weights? the few people i've called don't make them yet.
I would use a steel clutch basket before flywheel weights. But I don't think Hinson has a steel basket for the RX yet.
Sweendoggy
5/9/2017 5:42pm
I ride a 450R track and trail, tight single track in the forest.

What bike were you riding before? I know for me one thing I had to get used to was the light pull of the throttle compared to the carburated 06 250f I previously had (mechanical friction, spring, etc) Once I retuned my wrist for that I was good to go... tho I am going to go up a tooth to try and get out of 1st gear in the really tight stuff.
j100
5/9/2017 5:52pm
user760a wrote:
I see this thing as a fine west coast bike, though the injection is not good- west coast type riding de-emphasizes the most annoying zone. I...
I see this thing as a fine west coast bike, though the injection is not good- west coast type riding de-emphasizes the most annoying zone. I just rode this thing at a rocky rooty tight beaten down trail loop in New England and it is a nightmare there. Truthfully, it was 300 two stroke territory for sure, but the 450RX was especially bad. But im not going to be in New England much longer- will be back to NC

I really don't like to resort to adding more flywheel weight , since the bulk of the problem is the injection and possibly the ignition (advanced too much)

i rode a Husky 450 track bike on the king of Hammers loop. it was horrible. a few of the guys tried riding it and couldn't keep it running. lol.

the RX goes through this kinda stuff way better.

5/9/2017 6:10pm
Check your TPS settings or play with them a little to see if you can find a sweet spot. Makes a big difference at throttle opening. It's basically free and easily reverted.
user760a
5/9/2017 7:00pm
maybe my TPS is way off, because the way you guys are talking about your RX's, it is fine. My bike is new, it has very jerky throttle response. I have been riding FI kawasaki 450's since 09, including the abrupt 12 model. This Honda is worse.

I wonder if the TPS is still set with an ohmmeter? anyone know the correct spec for it? If these things all ran like mine, people would be bitching up a storm...like me
NeedMoto
5/9/2017 9:33pm
user760a wrote:
maybe my TPS is way off, because the way you guys are talking about your RX's, it is fine. My bike is new, it has very...
maybe my TPS is way off, because the way you guys are talking about your RX's, it is fine. My bike is new, it has very jerky throttle response. I have been riding FI kawasaki 450's since 09, including the abrupt 12 model. This Honda is worse.

I wonder if the TPS is still set with an ohmmeter? anyone know the correct spec for it? If these things all ran like mine, people would be bitching up a storm...like me
Sent my ECU to Tokyo mods for a remap, for this very problem. Excellent results! Jerkiness gone, overall power-band is smoother
FWYT
5/9/2017 9:45pm
Xeno wrote:
Dude, you are totally holding out on all the cool tips!!! hahahahahha
5/10/2017 1:18am
user760a wrote:
maybe my TPS is way off, because the way you guys are talking about your RX's, it is fine. My bike is new, it has very...

Good luck with getting Honda TPS specs. Tried to get some recently and there were none in the Honda manual for 2011 CRF250R. Just check a few things with an ohm meter and replace the TPS if out.
dcg141
5/10/2017 7:00am
user760a wrote:
I see this thing as a fine west coast bike, though the injection is not good- west coast type riding de-emphasizes the most annoying zone. I...

NC is New England with humidity.
user760a
5/10/2017 11:42am
You and I must be talking about very different parts of NC and new england. The two could not be much more different in terms of soil and rock content, the overall experience is totally different
peelout
5/10/2017 12:37pm
CRF450X is such a great bike, it's too bad they feel like absolute tanks. they feel like an XR650 compared to any KTM.

that said i'll be joining the 450X owners this year, need me a reliable Baja cruiser
kiwifan
5/10/2017 1:07pm
peelout wrote:
CRF450X is such a great bike, it's too bad they feel like absolute tanks. they feel like an XR650 compared to any KTM. that said i'll...
CRF450X is such a great bike, it's too bad they feel like absolute tanks. they feel like an XR650 compared to any KTM.

that said i'll be joining the 450X owners this year, need me a reliable Baja cruiser
X or RX Peelout? Agree that the X is starting to get pretty long in the tooth...I wonder when it will be brought up to R/RX specs
peelout
5/10/2017 1:23pm Edited Date/Time 5/10/2017 1:24pm
peelout wrote:
CRF450X is such a great bike, it's too bad they feel like absolute tanks. they feel like an XR650 compared to any KTM. that said i'll...

kiwifan wrote:
X or RX Peelout? Agree that the X is starting to get pretty long in the tooth...I wonder when it will be brought up to R/RX...
X or RX Peelout? Agree that the X is starting to get pretty long in the tooth...I wonder when it will be brought up to R/RX specs
sorry, X not RX. haven't ridden an RX yet. though it'll take a 6 speed transmission before i'll consider buying one.

i got ahead of myself before really reading through the thread
TeamGreen
5/10/2017 1:42pm
peelout wrote:

kiwifan wrote:
X or RX Peelout? Agree that the X is starting to get pretty long in the tooth...I wonder when it will be brought up to R/RX...
peelout wrote:
sorry, X not RX. haven't ridden an RX yet. though it'll take a 6 speed transmission before i'll consider buying one. i got ahead of myself...
sorry, X not RX. haven't ridden an RX yet. though it'll take a 6 speed transmission before i'll consider buying one.

i got ahead of myself before really reading through the thread
You know a guy with allllll sorts of "X" shit in his shop....
ktm212
5/10/2017 2:16pm
dcg141 wrote:
NC is New England with humidity.
LOL wut
Xeno
5/10/2017 2:52pm
peelout wrote:

Go and find yourself any year CRF450X, from 2006 to now (I don't like the '05 carb). The key is to find the most stock bike with the lowest hours (I've seen bikes that have 100 miles total).

Then we'll talk. Actually, I'll talk and you'll "speak with your wallet" GrinningGrinningGrinning
revitout
5/10/2017 5:38pm
I retuned my wrist also , it is super light pull. Apparently the G2 throttle cam works , don't know which one (maybe200). My the dealer said that someone put one on and it made slow riding through the pits much easier. I would be interested to know from anyone if it helps.
BobPA
5/10/2017 6:10pm
user760a wrote:

450's in the East Coast woods are useless. Real single track is not 450 territory no matter what you do. They are just too clumsy and heavy. Regular trails are fine, but when you get into the technical stuff, which we hit all the time, a smoker is the only way to go.
user760a
5/11/2017 10:39am
user760a wrote:

BobPA wrote:
450's in the East Coast woods are useless. Real single track is not 450 territory no matter what you do. They are just too clumsy and...
450's in the East Coast woods are useless. Real single track is not 450 territory no matter what you do. They are just too clumsy and heavy. Regular trails are fine, but when you get into the technical stuff, which we hit all the time, a smoker is the only way to go.
I agree to a point, the rocky goat trails I was on in CT are , in places, more like a hard enduro course than a GNCC, and certainly 300XCW territory. A 450 can be made to work pretty well in most conditions, though, and I have been using them with good results off road for a long time. This RX is just a remap away from being very good

Post a reply to: How does one go about making a CRF450RX rideable off road?

The Latest